HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 7:51 PM

Elements of brutalist architecture seem to be making a slight comeback,
especially since it can accomodate smaller windows and reducing solar gain.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Neo-brutalist?
Yes - definitely. Makes me quite weary, I'm super paranoid that we are heading towards a Blade Runner future in real life.

Dust bowls descending upon brutalist looking cities, with Tesla Cyber Trucks driving around. Cool in small doses, but not a future I want to be a part of.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 1:41 AM

something like the QC building in Melbourne would fit in nicely on Broadway, like knock down Kingsgate mall and replace it with something inspired by the QV. A mix of shops, eateries, outdoor public area.

myguide-cdn.com

hhme.com.au

weknowmelbourne.files.wordpress.com

www.wheretraveler.com

Melbourne by snub_you, on Flickr

Melbourne by snub_you, on Flickr

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 5:12 PM

I figured this was a better fit here than under Skytrain construction: Spectacular subway stations around the world.
Now I know that most of these stations are bigger than ours but there's nothing to stop us from using some of the details (well except budget... ).

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 8:02 PM

SpongeG: Are you proposing that we have a MALL along Broadway? *GASP*!

I remember that building quite well: I was sitting at the patio space have some white coffee: lots of young people milling around there, being close to RMIT U and all.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
SpongeG: Are you proposing that we have a MALL along Broadway? *GASP*!

I remember that building quite well: I was sitting at the patio space have some white coffee: lots of young people milling around there, being close to RMIT U and all.
i'm pro mall in the right places. Kingsgate is going to be in a prime area once the skytrain hits a block away. It needs an upgrade, a few buildings with height, I could envision one being office, and the other being a hotel, a Muji hotel would be cool there. And than not a ton of shops but a grocery store, maybe a marshalls type place, furniture and smaller shops, and lots of food options.

Yeah the QV was a cool place to check out in Melbourne a great inspiration for here. I could also see something at the Arbutus end, a good transit mall.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 7:03 PM

I think that trends for smaller sites would tend to lower operating costs and risks. That would favour separate store access, reduced common areas and no interior public spaces that require security personnel to monitor.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2020, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
i'm pro mall in the right places. Kingsgate is going to be in a prime area once the skytrain hits a block away. It needs an upgrade, a few buildings with height, I could envision one being office, and the other being a hotel, a Muji hotel would be cool there. And than not a ton of shops but a grocery store, maybe a marshalls type place, furniture and smaller shops, and lots of food options.

There is a grocery store in there already but I totally forgot what it was called even though I exclusively shop there (-1 point for me). And across Kingsway street they have a Nesters Market in the new highrise (which is one of my favourite towers in the region). So yeah, I can totally get on board with your vision of an extremely vibrant block and it would be a shame if developers didn't take advantage of its location by upgrading and redoing the mall.

I'm also hoping that the rest of Kingsway follows suit with more aggressive density strategies to piggy-back off of its ease of access to the Skytrain. There is a lot of potential along that corridor since Kingsway street, itself, is very liveable .

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Last edited by scryer; Jun 28, 2020 at 2:10 AM.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 9:13 PM

this place looks cool, has a Uniqlo and an Urban IKEA with apartments above. Would be a good somewhere along Broadway possibly near the Arbutus area at the end of the Mline extension.

Video Link

the IKEA
Video Link

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 8:43 PM

Interesting poking around this website - the antithesis of glass and steel.

https://sovietmodernism.com/

This one
https://sovietmodernism.com/2017/08/...l-krk-croatia/

used to look like this:

https://design.tel/haludovo-palace-hotel/

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 9:29 PM

^ There's an amazing mini-series on ARTE that tours abandoned soviet-era behemoths and it's downright crazy what they were building back in the day. Some people still live in these crumbling buildings too.

https://www.arte.tv/en/videos/RC-017908/red-urbex/

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 9:50 PM

Hmm the videos say they can't be viewed from my current location (Vancouver).
Thanks though.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Hmm the videos say they can't be viewed from my current location (Vancouver).
Thanks though.
I was able to view them using the Arte android app on my Sony TV, no VPN. Maybe you have a similar option?

Honestly didn't mean to get your hopes up, just to crush them.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 3:39 AM

this is a design for Quadra Island

https://www.amazingarchitecture.com/...lad-eshtiyaghi

this is Tula House on Quadra Island
Video Link

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 6:21 AM

West Coast architecture legend Geoffrey Massey dies at age 96

Quote:
Geoffrey Massey’s legacy can be seen all over Vancouver.

As Arthur Erickson’s architectural partner in the 1960s and early ’70s, he helped design local icons like Simon Fraser University and the MacMillan Bloedel Building.

As a Vancouver city councillor with Art Phillips and TEAM in 1972, he was part of a political movement that put a stop to freeways and redeveloped the south side of False Creek from industrial to residential.

He was even one of the early owners, architects and developers at Whistler in the 1960s.

Massey died Tuesday morning from pneumonia in a hospice near Lion’s Gate Hospital in North Vancouver. He was 96.

His life story could have been scripted by Hollywood. In fact, his father, Raymond Massey, was a movie star, his uncle Vincent was Canada’s governor-general from 1952-59, and his family founded the farm-equipment giant Massey-Harris, which became Massey-Ferguson.

Raymond Massey moved to the U.S. in 1939, and Geoffrey came with him. Geoffrey joined the Canadian Army when he turned 18, training as a paratrooper.

At one point, he passed through Vancouver en route to visit his dad in Beverly Hills, where he lived.

“He bookmarked this place,” said Stanford. “ ‘I’m coming back.’ ”

In 1963, Massey and Erickson teamed up to submit a bid to design a new university atop Burnaby Mountain. Their design for Simon Fraser University was so futuristic that the future still hasn’t caught up to their design, and their partnership flourished.

Architect Bruno Freschi worked at Erickson Massey in their 1960s’ heyday.

“Geoff was particularly generous (to other architects),” said Freschi. “He was great. He stayed in the background and took care of things, and always supported the creative ideas. He was a great inspiration to everybody at Erickson Massey.”

Freschi loved going to parties at Massey’s Whytecliff home, a stunning modern structure with a glass pyramid above the central living room and breathtaking views of Howe Sound. It even had a white marble courtyard, made from marble salvaged during the demolition of the historic Vancouver Opera House/International Cinema on Granville Street.

“When they tore down the theatre where Pacific Centre is now, we went out and took out all the great big sheets of white marble from the bathrooms, the urinals,” said Freschi, with a laugh. “It was Geoff’s father, Raymond Massey, who came down with us and said, ‘Take everything, take everything!’ Recovering old pieces of Vancouver.”

The Erickson Massey partnership ended in 1972.

“My father had a family and Arthur did not, and it seemed they were just diverging in their careers,” said Stanford. “But there was never any ill feeling between them.”

In his own practice, Massey mostly worked on private homes.

“He designed a round house for a client on Hernando Island,” said Stanford. “Half of it is a stone wall and half is wood and glass, looking out to sea. It’s a lovely house and is so unique — there isn’t another one like it.”

Massey sold his Whytecliff home around 1988 and retired from architecture in 1991. His wife died in 2011. He was also predeceased by two siblings (Daniel and Anna) who stayed in Britain and became successful actors. He is survived by his four children, Eliza, Raymond, Vincent and Nathaniel.

On Sept. 10, 2006, Geoffrey Massey, left, joined others feting former architectural partner Arthur Erickson at the Law Courts.
Photo by Malcolm Parry /Vancouver Sun

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 6:53 AM

... entretemps, what about Alberni Street? ....

It has been a while. High-end retailers have established themselves on Alberni Street, yet the cracked sidewalks, the meh standard lighting, even the telephone pole at Prada all remain.
There was once a feeling in the air that change was imminent, but the temporary fill-in fixtures seem permanent, and nobody seems to care. What about pavement and lighting to start with?
Examples from Toronto.

https://www.deeproot.com/blog/blog-e...r-urban-forest

https://www.bloor-yorkville.com/wp-c...-1-768x512.jpg

https://i1.wp.com/luggagestoragetoro...24%2C568&ssl=1

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 9:29 PM

a new department store opened in Seoul Last Month. Yeouido The Hyundai Seoul.

the tree in the raised platform inside is pretty cool

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 5:43 AM

the food section at 50:13

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 18, 2021, 2:53 AM

i like the apple store at University Village in Seattle. I hadn't been to the mall in about 10 years or more and the new expansion has really transformed the mall.

2021-12-17_06-50-33 by snub_you, on Flickr

2021-12-17_06-50-26 by snub_you, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 18, 2021, 6:58 AM

I see they used a stone tile on the ramp that's slippery when wet!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues