HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 12:09 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
After working in The Domain for two years I can say that the different phases are bad from a pedestrian perspective, there is no good, open connection from Domain I (where my office was) and Domain II, it is two different shopping malls with a big parking lot between them. There is no good connection to the streets where the bus stops are (both Burnet and Braker), the layout is just horrible.
I know that there are high voltage power lines that cross between which is one reason that there is a gap in between the two but they could have done something to connect the two sides. It completely defeats the whole purpose of pedestrian friendly. If they couldn't build anything but a surface lot there, they could have at least created a wide pedestrian walkway with trees or some sort of shading to connect the two sides. There isn't even that.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 4:30 AM
Meh

So someone at KVUE dared to pose the question: "Is the Domain becoming Austin's second downtown?"

Surprisingly, the answers in the comments are saying no and are also saying it lacks that important vibe that downtown has. The few comments in support of the Domain and rejecting downtown seem to be coming from the suburbanites. That part was unsurprising.

https://www.facebook.com/KVUEinsider...52651322656178

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 4:49 AM

The Domain is nothing more than a place to live and shop. Downtown Austin is and will always be more interesting than The Domain.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 7:20 AM

The domain =

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 7:22 AM

The Domain is a Mall. Nobody goes to the Domain except for the same reasons you would to go to a Mall. Also, I've said this before... you can't walk or take public transportation to the Domain and easily access it. The times I have gone, when I get off the route 3 bus, there is no proper sidewalk that takes me directly into the Domain. I am always fighting through a long line of traffic. And being walkable is necessary for it to function like a "downtown". LOL

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
The Domain is a Mall. Nobody goes to the Domain except for the same reasons you would to go to a Mall.
Except for all the people that live there.
And except for all the people that work there (non-retail, in the office buildings).
And the cooking school.
And the 5k/10Ks.
And the park that they're supposed to build eventually.
and the fireworks

Quote:
Also, I've said this before... you can't walk or take public transportation to the Domain and easily access it. The times I have gone, when I get off the route 3 bus, there is no proper sidewalk that takes me directly into the Domain. I am always fighting through a long line of traffic. And being walkable is necessary for it to function like a "downtown". LOL
The transit portion should be improved in 26 days, the 803 Metrorapid is supposed to stop inside the domain.
Bike/Pedestrian access should be improved (from some directions) with the bike/pedestrian improvements coming with the mopac construction (multi-use path/bridge, etc.)

Edit: Oh, and the hotels.

Last edited by Novacek; Jul 29, 2014 at 4:15 PM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 3:42 PM

Quote:
The Domain is a Mall. Nobody goes to the Domain except for the same reasons you would to go to a Mall. Also, I've said this before... you can't walk or take public transportation to the Domain and easily access it. The times I have gone, when I get off the route 3 bus, there is no proper sidewalk that takes me directly into the Domain. I am always fighting through a long line of traffic. And being walkable is necessary for it to function like a "downtown". LOL
Hmm...quite a blanket statement there. I work in the Domain in the non-retail or "non-anything to do with the mall portion". Also, there will be two medium size office buildings opening soon. One by Whole Foods and one on Burnet. Looking forward to MetroRapid starting soon.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
The domain =
I suppose no one knows the Domain site better than those of us who worked there for 20 + years when the site was home to IBM's circuit board manufacturing facility. Among the spawling site was bldg 060 and its companion support building that built the circuit boards themselves, a process that in my estimate used hundreds of thousands of gallons of chemicals and untold millions of gallons of water to manufacture, and spewed tons of solvent odor into the air that wasn't totally removed by the air scrubbers that alone used millions of gallons of water while the factory was in use. You could smell what was coming out of those stacks from the parking lot. Factor in the unappealing visual this facility displayed, I'd say today's site with the Domain on it is a truly remarkable reuse of that land. I drive by it occasionally and its definately still a work in progress.
So if going from a humongous water user, toxic chemical producer, and blight on North Austin's landscape, to a mix of business, retail, restaurants, hospitality, and residence in a nice neat packaged site is "yuck", then...well...ok
If it upsets DT'ers that the Domain was even mentioned in the same breath as DT, keeping in mind that it was mentioned as a "2nd DT" not better, then, again.
I wish it had gone a bit more vertical, I think there was once a 30+ story hotel planned in the beginning, but when the whole thing is completed, built out, it will be an amazing part of Austin, and worth the visit.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 7:49 PM

Domain has a ways to go before it is a second downtown, but it is improving and no reason to put it down. It needs better mass transit and to reduce some of the large parking lots, etc... But the demand to redevelop those wasted spaces will happen as less other land is available to build on. I think it 15 years it could become a second downtown with walk and mass transit improvements.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I suppose no one knows the Domain site better than those of us who worked there for 20 + years when the site was home to IBM's circuit board manufacturing facility. Among the spawling site was bldg 060 and its companion support building that built the circuit boards themselves, a process that in my estimate used hundreds of thousands of gallons of chemicals and untold millions of gallons of water to manufacture, and spewed tons of solvent odor into the air that wasn't totally removed by the air scrubbers that alone used millions of gallons of water while the factory was in use. You could smell what was coming out of those stacks from the parking lot. Factor in the unappealing visual this facility displayed, I'd say today's site with the Domain on it is a truly remarkable reuse of that land. I drive by it occasionally and its definately still a work in progress.
So if going from a humongous water user, toxic chemical producer, and blight on North Austin's landscape, to a mix of business, retail, restaurants, hospitality, and residence in a nice neat packaged site is "yuck", then...well...ok
If it upsets DT'ers that the Domain was even mentioned in the same breath as DT, keeping in mind that it was mentioned as a "2nd DT" not better, then, again.
I wish it had gone a bit more vertical, I think there was once a 30+ story hotel planned in the beginning, but when the whole thing is completed, built out, it will be an amazing part of Austin, and worth the visit.
I'm just being a dramatic ninny

In all seriousness, it's great what they've done with that area....I just want to see more of that kind of retail downtown.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 9:08 PM
Meh

It's ok to bring up the negative things about a place while also pointing out the positive things. The Domain is doing it right with the residential above the stores. That is something that needs to be done all over Austin. And it is nice to see another place where we could potentially see some height outside of downtown. It is an interesting experiment on shopping. Still, the problems the Domain has are true densities that make it easy for people to get around and making it inviting and safe for pedestrians. This goes for not just the Domain, but all the areas surrounding it that feed into it. At this point, even if the Domain were to improve, it would still feel like an urban island surrounded by less friendly areas for anyone who wasn't planning to get there in a car.

Mueller is another example of that. It's still got a long way to go, but even with the improvements made within its boundaries, the areas surrounding Mueller are not exactly pedestrian/bike friendly. It still mostly is a place to drive to.

The Domain doesn't even have to achieve that same hip vibe that downtown has. Downtown is special. I'd rather not try to replicate it everywhere. What does need to happen in other parts of the city are the urban aspects of downtown so that those places can forge their own cultural uniqueness.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 10:53 PM

Quote:
I'm just being a dramatic ninny

In all seriousness, it's great what they've done with that area....I just want to see more of that kind of retail downtown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
It's ok to bring up the negative things about a place while also pointing out the positive things.
Exactly. I meant what I said half-jokingly. For the most part, it functions more like a mall, at the moment, especially since most of its crowd goes there for shopping and dining, but that isn't in and of itself a bad thing. I think it looks cool, quite honestly. I just think it needs a bit more time and aging to truly fit in as a defining neighborhood rather than a place the majority of the City uses as a shopping destination.

Another aspect about it, that I feel is a negative is that it closes way too early in comparison with the rest of the City. I'm not sure what time it closes on Sunday nights but on usual weeknights it closes the same time a shopping mall closes.

And not to mention, of course, the lack of cohesive sidewalks from the first to second phase. If it meets these things then I'd say its building itself out more to a real neighborhood/2nd downtown destination.

Also, are there any night clubs/bars/music venues? That place would be cool if they did build something like that. I know there are restaurant/bars but I've not seen any real bars, etc.

Another thing I find weird about it is how the area is sort of sectioned off from the proper City street grid. There's like a huge epic entrance to get in when you're in your car. It's not like downtown where once you get off the freeway or pass Lady Bird Lake, you're there. It feels like a privately owned area (is it?) where only a special few privileged get to live. The Triangle seems to fit in a bit better with the City, with easier access, etc. And once you're there, the crowds fill in on the inside, rather than truly inhabiting the place inside and out, like a real downtown. I feel that is the biggest contributor to making it feel like a shopping mall rather than a neighborhood. It reminds me of those huge outdoor malls in Houston.

If you want to give it a real comparison go there during the day and notice the Domain is more vibrant than downtown, but then that vibrancy heads over to downtown at nights when the bars start opening up. It's virtually dead by 9 pm. But it is like Kevin said, it doesn't have to build on the vibrancy that downtown already has. I personally don't care if it does or doesn't happen that way. I just feel that it also factors into how a neighborhood typically feels.

Other than that, yes, all the positives everyone else mentioned is valid. I wouldn't trade what is going on now for what it used to be. I was very excited, and still am, when something was getting built over there and especially, considering all that the city envisions for that area.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 11:24 PM

Quote:
I like that our downtown has some unique shops and many restaurants but as a downtown resident, I'm looking forward to more diverse shopping options. It would be nice to be able to go buy a hammer. Or be able to find non-boutique clothes. I can't buy an inexpensive t-shirt downtown. I don't want to be overrun buy chain stores but I'd love to see an H&M and a few other mainline retailers set up shop downtown. I've also wondered if there will ever be a push to get a large retailer like a Macy's to open downtown. When I travel to other cities, I always come home and realize that we are seriously lacking in the way of moderately priced retailers downtown. Oh, and where the heck is the Apple store I was so sure was going to open after the success of their pop-up store on Congress a few years ago?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Another aspect about it, that I feel is a negative is that it closes way too early in comparison with the rest of the City. I'm not sure what time it closes on Sunday nights but on usual weeknights it closes the same time a shopping mall closes.
What exactly do you mean when you say "it"? Some stores close early, I'm sure, but other stuff is open to 2 am.
http://blackfinnameripub.com/locations/

That's also the closest thing to your other question (a bar) I've been in there, but I'm curious to try the Punch Bowl Social thing when it opens.
There's also the bar at Lone Star Court, and does the other hotel have one(I'm not sure)?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 12:20 AM

Domain does has a lot of pluses.
However it has some challenges in terms of connection and transportaion.
Hell.... the map in the "mall" doesn't tell you where Whole Foods is!
It encourages folks to get back in a car to get to all stores.
It is in desperate need of at least a shuttle.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
What exactly do you mean when you say "it"? Some stores close early, I'm sure, but other stuff is open to 2 am.

That's also the closest thing to your other question (a bar) I've been in there, but I'm curious to try the Punch Bowl Social thing when it opens.
There's also the bar at Lone Star Court, and does the other hotel have one(I'm not sure)?
Also, "The Park" close to Whole Foods.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post

A place like that is what I am talking about. I haven't noticed the place, but I'll give it a shot next time. Sometimes I go to the Apple store when the time is winding down and I notice most things are closed early and not many people are out and about. It feels like I am intruding the space. lol

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 11:23 PM
Meh

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 10:10 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Eh, your typical suburban style office park.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 3:04 AM

Some pictures I took a few days ago.

Domain 7

Domain 7 parking garage & Domain Geteway, as well as new apartment construction in the background

The new apartments that were in the 2nd picture.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin