HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 3:24 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainpathology View Post
Hey so what's up with JeffCo schools? Anyone there following it? Just had an article from Jezebel of all places linked to my facebook page. I actually assumed most of Jeffco was already conservative to this degree, and they elected the school board they have, so why all the fuss?
JeffCo is more of a swing district and moderate. The assholes who packed the DougCo School Board opted to try the same tactic that worked there in JeffCo and put a far-right conservative majority on a board that had been middle of the road for years since people really don't pay that much attention to who they elect to the school board, it's low-hanging fruit for political activism. From the hiring of a new superintendent to this proposed curriculum adjustment, they've been mucking in areas that people don't really like.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 4:47 PM

Beautiful views Sawtooth. More photos of that river please.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 6:35 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
they've been mucking in areas that people don't really like.
Like re-writing the history curriculum. I mean, what a place to start, re-write history to conform to your worldview. It sounds like something the Soviets would do (ironically).

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 7:40 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
Like re-writing the history curriculum. I mean, what a place to start, re-write history to conform to your worldview. It sounds like something the Soviets would do (ironically).
And if you're Bob Beauprez, consider using the office of the governor to interfere in local matters such as education and environmental jurisdiction. Just ell the environmental movement to got f**k themselves on fracking the local control issues and then have to try and fight 2 dozen ballot measures in 2015 and 2016 to ban all oil and gas exploration and drilling in Colorado.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 8:20 PM
Denver

Quote:
And if you're Bob Beauprez, consider using the office of the governor to interfere in local matters such as education and environmental jurisdiction. Just ell the environmental movement to got f**k themselves on fracking the local control issues and then have to try and fight 2 dozen ballot measures in 2015 and 2016 to ban all oil and gas exploration and drilling in Colorado.
Not like John Frackenlooper has been any better at protecting the environment of Colorado...

At all

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 8:30 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottk View Post
Not like John Frackenlooper has been any better at protecting the environment of Colorado...

At all
Really? A continued push for renewable energy standards that have led to the conversion of several coal-fired plant to gas-fired with an associated reduction in carbon emissions and a push to develop natural resource extraction in far stricter regulatory environment than elsewhere on the globe sounds fairly environmentally responsible to me.

Or we could just keep on exporting our environmental damage to other, poorer, places in the world that don't have the regulatory framework in place to capture some of the external costs of resource extraction. I enjoy poisoning and killing lesser humans as much as the next tofu-eating, granola humping American as long as my air stays clean so that I can breathe freely while toking, but sometimes you have to say enough.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 1:59 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Ahh, whiney Boulderites, God bless them. Or Krishna bless them, or whatever they believe in up there.

Remember when the far-left told us that Al Gore and George W. Bush were the same person, and convinced us all to vote for Ralph Nader? Rage Against the Machine even made a music video. How did that work out for liberals? Anybody remember? Correct me if I'm wrong, but Al Gore turned out to be a hero of the left, and George W... well.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 3:19 PM
of Gnomeregan

Lets not be too quick to dismiss co-opting the conservative strategy of towing the 100% pure party line. If anything it's strengthened them instead of what it should have done. I'm fine calling anyone who doesn't usher in a Utopian environmental golden age with no compromises whatsoever an Earth raping, lissencephalic, australopithecine.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 3:55 AM

Ah, I can't wait for fiber in SLC. I am supposed to get 50 up 50 down but I get 5 up 15 down... I really hope that Becker does elect to get fiber in SLC. having prove and SLC fed a high fiber diet will help make us a more attractive tech center, and I also think Denver deserves fiber. You guys would probably do something cool and interesting with it and we will just search for the nearest root beer store.

Reddit is going to have everyone move out of the SLC and NY offices in to SFO. Shame on them.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 5:22 AM
of Gnomeregan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
Ahh, whiney Boulderites, God bless them. Or Krishna bless them, or whatever they believe in up there.
Who cares about Boulder. My entire hometown state is a laughingstock at the moment, and watching this from the good ole' south is fricking hilarious.

I'm just going to sit back here and wait for someone on the STATE board of Education (not just the loons on Jeffco) to one up themselves and say WWII was voluntarily ended by Japan after they brokered a deal for free demolition work by the US.

I mean you do have to hand it to CO though, no insidious changes to textbooks the way Texas does it. They are practically screaming to the heavens that voters there like electing breathtaking stupidity to teach their children. With the various Ed boards tripping over themselves to say idiotic nonsense I imagine you guys in the Denver metro may start pining for the intellectual giants of yesteryear like Palin and Tancredo.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 7:35 AM
Denver

Quote:
Really? A continued push for renewable energy standards that have led to the conversion of several coal-fired plant to gas-fired with an associated reduction in carbon emissions and a push to develop natural resource extraction in far stricter regulatory environment than elsewhere on the globe sounds fairly environmentally responsible to me.

Or we could just keep on exporting our environmental damage to other, poorer, places in the world that don't have the regulatory framework in place to capture some of the external costs of resource extraction. I enjoy poisoning and killing lesser humans as much as the next tofu-eating, granola humping American as long as my air stays clean so that I can breathe freely while toking, but sometimes you have to say enough.
Sorry but I think that FRACKenlooper fighting against amendment 88 and 89 (which would have provided colorado citizens the ability to limit fracking in their communities) proves to me that hickenlooper is in the pockets of the oil and natural gas industry. In fact, it is painfully obvious.

Also, I love how a post talking about politics caused the Denver members to start talking shit about boulder, despite the fact that NO ONE was even talking about boulder...... seriously are the mods ever going to step in on this?

If you look at my posts within the past few weeks, I have posted nothing but good things about denver, and other cities as well (check the 1401 lawerence thread, city compilation thread, etc)

it seems like this entire board views anything boulder in a negative light.

quite frankly I am sick of it, and wouldn't be surprised to see cirrus delete this post and send me a private message scolding me.

probably the same reason Wizened Variations never posts on this forum anymore. you guys are so unwelcoming to someone with even a slightly different opinion

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 4:35 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottk View Post
probably the same reason Wizened Variations never posts on this forum anymore. you guys are so unwelcoming to someone with even a slightly different opinion
Given the abrubt nature of Wizened's postings ceasing the more likely explanation is that he experienced some sort of traumatic event that prevents him from posting. That's usually the case. Hopefully he's OK.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 5:19 PM
Urban Planning Proselyte

Supreme Court Clears Way for Gay Marriage in 5 States

After today gay marriage is perma legal in Utah. It looks like Colorado is gonna be next really soon.

What's the status on Idaho?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
Supreme Court Clears Way for Gay Marriage in 5 States

After today gay marriage is perma legal in Utah. It looks like Colorado is gonna be next really soon.

What's the status on Idaho?

^ 11 states, actually.

Idaho is in the 9th Circuit, which hasn't ruled. I imagine they'll rule soon now.

I think the rest of the states where rulings haven't been handed down yet, will get rulings in fairly short order. The Supreme Court sent a pretty clear message.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 11:55 AM
of Gnomeregan

Bets on how long and in what states race it will be before the GOP claims their conservative majority on the court paved the way for gay rights in this country?

My guess is California and it already happened lol.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 2:15 PM
of Gnomeregan

fireworksfireworksfireworksfireworks

Dan O'Dowd resigned today and was replaced by.... NOT DAN O'DOWD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the best thing to happen to Denver baseball since 1993 when we were awarded the franchise. The only thing missing to make it perfect is an announcement that the Monforts are selling the team.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 7:03 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Yayyyy!

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 7:59 PM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Let's get Kenta Maeda and resign De La Rosa

"Of course you're right." Cirrus

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 8:47 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Happy... Uh... Wednesday? Here's something I think we can all appreciate:

Video Link
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 9:40 PM
Stay Thirsty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainpathology View Post
fireworksfireworksfireworksfireworks

Dan O'Dowd resigned today and was replaced by.... NOT DAN O'DOWD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the best thing to happen to Denver baseball since 1993 when we were awarded the franchise. The only thing missing to make it perfect is an announcement that the Monforts are selling the team.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West