HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 4:07 PM

Erie, PA: St. Peter Cathedral - 1873

Erie was so dominated by the Catholic Church and Archbishop John Mark Gannon, that a "gentleman's" height restriction agreement was made so no building would be built to surpass its height. Four 19th century buildings' heights were limited to bow down to the Catholics... Regardless, it's an impressive structure and among the taller churches in the US.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 9:56 PM

Outside of NY or Chicago the largest collection of late 19th & early 20th century high-rises can be found in Detroit. Architect Wirt C. Rowland designed the two most iconic in Detroit's downtown skyline and had a marked impact on the remainder creating many other gems during that era.

In general when Detroiters think of the city's iconic buildings besides the Ren Cen these two & the Fisher seem to be always near or at the top of their list.

http://rmzcanvas.com/portfolio/

Penobscot Building plus annex.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=231716

Guardian Building

http://rmzcanvas.com/portfolio/

Guardian Interior

https://www.flickr.com/photos/detroitderek/7841867236

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Location..._Michigan.html

https://www.pinterest.com/OzBiblioph...troit/?lp=true

Says the pot to the kettle in a moment of self projection

Last edited by Docta_Love; Jun 17, 2018 at 6:16 PM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 3:04 AM

Youngstown, Ohio:

Our most iconic building here in Youngstown probably has to be the Home Savings & Loan Building. Though it isn't our tallest skyscraper, this 10 story building built in 1919 stands out the most in the city's skyline due to its clock tower that lights up at night. It is located next to the Youngstown Business Incubator and across the street from the former Warner Brothers Theater in Downtown's "Tech Block."

The Home Savings & Loan Building:

Another well-known building is the former Isaly's Dairy plant building. This 1930s art deco mid-rise is located just outside of Downtown but is the first building people on the highway will see when they come into the city. It has since been taken over by U-Haul after being abandoned for many years, but the exterior is still not in good shape.

The "U-Haul Building:"

Lastly, we have the Stambaugh Auditorium. It was built in 1926 and is positioned on Fifth Avenue overlooking Wick Park - once the most prestigious area of town but is now a mess of student slums and dilapidated yet grand mansions. The theater is one of the buildings Youngstown takes the most pride in. It is used for many events and will be undergoing a massive restoration project soon.

Stambaugh Auditorium:

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 7:59 PM

portland's greatest conversation piece is *sigh*, still the portland building, michael graves' postmodern mega-cube. i guess ive grown to appreciate it more over time but it still seems out of place. or maybe, thats the intention. photo by steve morgan.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 5:41 PM
Oak City

There are more iconic building in Charlotte by far, but I love 129 West Trade as an iconic historic building. Built in 1958.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 1:55 AM

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 6:04 AM
Paramoderator

One Hanson Place is not more iconic than Rockefeller Center. Neither is Woolworth tbh. But the real building you forgot was One World Trade. Attractive? Arguable. Iconic? Yes.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post
it's only a couple of years old, but the JUMP building in Boise gets the most people asking me "what the #@! is that?"

source

source
For this site maybe. Its got to be the football stadium nationally.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 4:26 PM

I will say Boise's state capitol is really, really cool.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 12:16 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
The most iconic/recognizable buildings in Los Angeles:
I took this yesterday [a glorious day, 76 and breezy] around lunch time @ the corner of Temple and Los Angeles:

The 1 and only Sunny

E] Sorry for the edit, but I should add that I wore shorts when I went to the Chipotle in Larchmont Village. I'm guilty of comfort over what's fashionable in London, due to the warm sunny conditions. Also, I'd like for my calves to be somewhat similar in color to my forearms - need the sun!!

E #2] I probably should've gotten legit overpriced Mexican food, but I was craving a Chicken Burrito for $7.35, sorry y'all [with free parking in the rear].

Last edited by Sun Belt; Jun 21, 2018 at 1:01 AM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 3:11 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhun1 View Post
For this site maybe. Its got to be the football stadium nationally.

the field is certainly iconic, and is probably the most popular tourist stop in the city:

source

but the building itself is the definition of "meh." I doubt anyone would recognize it from the outside:

source

source

BTW, here's a rare shot from when they installed a temporary grass field for an international soccer friendly a couple of years ago:

source

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
One Hanson Place is not more iconic than Rockefeller Center. Neither is Woolworth tbh. But the real building you forgot was One World Trade. Attractive? Arguable. Iconic? Yes.
eh, I would classify 1wtc under the 'brand new glass building' category. Woolworth is a hopscotch from city hall on Broadway and is two decades older than Rockefeller Center. Besides, most people are more enamored by the plaza and the view atop than 30 Rock itself.
As for One Hanson, I can't think of another building that identifies the borough so obviously. Hence the honorable mention.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 5:36 PM

I really do love 30 Rock definitely one of the greatest Art Deco gems period.

Says the pot to the kettle in a moment of self projection

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 5:50 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
eh, I would classify 1wtc under the 'brand new glass building' category. Woolworth is a hopscotch from city hall on Broadway and is two decades older than Rockefeller Center. Besides, most people are more enamored by the plaza and the view atop than 30 Rock itself.
As for One Hanson, I can't think of another building that identifies the borough so obviously. Hence the honorable mention.
I don't think most people could identify 30 Rockefeller Plaza in of itself. They can certainly identify the Radio City, ice rink and the plaza itself. I think Woolworth is more identifiable as a singular building even of people can't recall its name.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2018, 6:05 AM
Fourth and Main

For Winston-Salem, it's likely the Kimpton Cardinal Hotel & Residences, by Shreve Lamb and Harmon Associates, with marble walls and hand-carved wood ceilings in gold and silver filament by the famed Rambusch Decorating Company. The building also has Art Deco sculptural work by German artist Oscar B. Bach. It was the 1929 AIA National Building of the Year. It's often called the Father of the Empire State Building and the hotel has a signed card from the Empire State Building, reading Happy Anniversary Dad, in the lobby, as proof. The only building with proof of the claim. It was once the headquarters for mega-conglomerate RJR Nabisco.

Credit

Credit

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions