HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippinsteo View Post
Were there plans at one time to include retail space in the base of 111? From the renderings shown in this thread, there doesn't appear to be any retail.
Yes, there were originally plans to include a few shops, I think one (all?) of them on a mezzanine level.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skystruck View Post
SLCPA I don't know if you saw this or not but here is a pic taken by a forum member that I added 111 and 145 to. It is a different angle but 111 really does add to the skyline!
This is the best skyline photo montage of 111 & 145 yet! It looks to be about the correct height. Nice job!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 3:10 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Agreed. Having both 111 and 145 added makes Salt Lake's skyline as one finally and not just two groups of towers.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 3:50 AM
The Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skystruck View Post
SLCPA I don't know if you saw this or not but here is a pic taken by a forum member that I added 111 and 145 to. It is a different angle but 111 really does add to the skyline!
Just think of what this will look like with the Cascade (please let it be back to original height) and CCH. That hole from that location will fill in even more.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 4:03 PM
Development Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusam26 View Post
I love the accordion look and much prefer the base design of the earlier rendering (bottom). The new base really looks chopped up with all of the thick window panes and that weird "crown molding" at the top of the base as well as the cantilever look of the tower on top of the base (not above the UPAC—that is fine, and necessary).

The earlier design of the base was just so fresh, open and airy. Maybe it's because there's far less warm elements and interesting paintings, woodwork, etc. to draw your interest in the newer design. It even lost the staircase and mezzanine level.

But, I do prefer the look of the UPAC in the newer rendering (top). It has much more visual interest and looks to have an opportunity for a balcony level for galas and other events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
Yes, there were originally plans to include a few shops, I think one (all?) of them on a mezzanine level.
It appears as if that mezzanine level is gone.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygr View Post
But, I do prefer the look of the UPAC in the newer rendering (top). It has much more visual interest and looks to have an opportunity for a balcony level for galas and other events.

Also I remember the deseret news story about PRI taking over the project metioned retail space "The ground floor of the project will feature retail space, while the upper floors will offer 440,000 rentable square feet of office area" http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...developer.html

Last edited by gusam26; Mar 11, 2014 at 7:59 PM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 7:46 PM
Development Junkie

Thanks gusam26!

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! Lots of visual interest, engagement, excitement. Let's hope "death by committee" doesn't kill that look.

Since these really are two projects, I'm guessing that when 111 was originally designed, they only new the space that UPAC was going to take up and didn't have access to the final design and simply created the all glass look just for massing.

I also like how that rendering makes it look like the UPAC was built as an extension of 111 and not like 111 was built around UPAC (with its cantilevering over UPAC). Does that make sense? (Reminds me of my adult sister who still can't let the food on her plate touch.) Then again, this perspective might not show what really is happening at the top left corner of UPAC.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 10:48 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by utenation View Post
Future Mayor, would you please add specs to your post, since it was the first post with pics etc? Thanks in advance.
Done. I hope I covered what you were wanting.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
Done. I hope I covered what you were wanting.
Perfect and thank you.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 5:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusam26 View Post
I think the developer, in order to save cost and keep Goldman Sachs, fired SOM(the internationally acclaimed architect/designers of 222), and kept the cheaper local architecture firm(MHTN) for a cheaper design. You can definitely tell that the quality of the design has lessened from the original design, just like you can tell the difference in design quality of the Salt Palace expansions. The original one built in 2006 was designed by a renowned architecture firm, TVSA in Atlanta. But, to save cost, the politicians, went with local architects and a cheaper budget. You can definitely tell the difference. I hate the orane concrete and the terrible sidewalk street engagement on South Temple. It doesn't go with the rest of the convention center, and the execution of the design was terribly lacking. I think I know the designer, Burke Cartwright of EDA. His designs can be quite cool sometimes. but can also be a disjointed mess.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 4:21 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

It looks like they are getting close to ripping down the metro.. I'm so excited.. That is one building I have wanted to see come down since I was a kid :-)

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
It looks like they are getting close to ripping down the metro.. I'm so excited.. That is one building I have wanted to see come down since I was a kid :-)
I actually really loved it when I was a pup -- back then it had the flight of seagulls sculpture (not Flock of Seagulls)(which also would have been awesome) running up the front of the building, and I liked that. Plus I liked the buttressed look. So I guess in the early 1980s, I liked it. I still like it, but after the retrofit it's not quite the same. I'm okay with it leaving.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 6:23 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
I actually really loved it when I was a pup -- back then it had the flight of seagulls sculpture (not Flock of Seagulls)(which also would have been awesome) running up the front of the building, and I liked that. Plus I liked the buttressed look. So I guess in the early 1980s, I liked it. I still like it, but after the retrofit it's not quite the same. I'm okay with it leaving.
Don't forget that when it was first built and into the early to mid 80's it also had a water feature. There was a bridge on each side of the building and in between those bridges was a water feature. The water cascaded down from around sidewalk level on a stepped slope towards the building. You can see where the water feature was, in the below image.

I too have fond memories of that building. As a kid I used to take the bus downtown in the Summer to meet my dad for lunch. We would go to different places and walk around downtown. I remember being mesmerized by this cascading water feature in front of an office building and how cool it was right next to the sidewalk. When I started loving downtown, and particularly when I started working at NAC in 2002 I'd walk around downtown during my lunch and search for that building that was in my memory from my childhood. I finally put the pieces together from my memory and realized that it was the Prudential Building, but the water feature had been removed. I wonder if remnants of the water feature are still under the new entrance sidewalk.

Image from blogs.artinfo.com

I do agree though, that once the remodel was done in the late 90's early 00's it lost it's charm. When the water feature was removed, whenever that was, and having to place the steal tube girders along the entire front made it lose it's charm to me.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 6:30 PM

^^^

I *thought* I remembered a water feature and a bridge! Ahhh, I thought that was the coolest building!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 7:00 PM
Denver

this is a really nice looking building, but....

Why on earth is salt lake city ripping out existing building stock in order to build new buildings when the CBD has plenty of parking lots that need development?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 7:33 PM

Because Mormons need a place to stow their SUV's and Vans when they visit Temple Square and City Creek. Haha! j/k the two major parking lots downtown are both owned by the church. (someone correct me if I'm wrong). The church is slow on development, but when they do decide to do something, it's usually pretty good. Look at City Creek.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 8:06 PM

I wonder if there will be some sort of lighting around the crown base of 111, I think that would be pretty cool!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deek1978 View Post
the two major parking lots downtown are both owned by the church. (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
The block of parking north of Little America is owned by Holding.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 10:34 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountyLemonade View Post
The block of parking north of Little America is owned by Holding.
Actually it's not. Property Reserve (2 parcels) and City Creek Reserve(16 parcels) now own that block. They bough it from Holding a year ago, maybe two. Holding still has first right of refusal, for a set number of years, if Property and City Creek Reserve decide they want to sell it. What's interesting about that block is that the entire block is still legally separated into the former parcels, Holding never consolidated it into one parcel and either has Property and City Creek Reserve.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
Don't forget that when it was first built and into the early to mid 80's it also had a water feature. There was a bridge on each side of the building and in between those bridges was a water feature. The water cascaded down from around sidewalk level on a stepped slope towards the building. You can see where the water feature was, in the below image.

I too have fond memories of that building. As a kid I used to take the bus downtown in the Summer to meet my dad for lunch. We would go to different places and walk around downtown. I remember being mesmerized by this cascading water feature in front of an office building and how cool it was right next to the sidewalk. When I started loving downtown, and particularly when I started working at NAC in 2002 I'd walk around downtown during my lunch and search for that building that was in my memory from my childhood. I finally put the pieces together from my memory and realized that it was the Prudential Building, but the water feature had been removed. I wonder if remnants of the water feature are still under the new entrance sidewalk.

Image from blogs.artinfo.com

I do agree though, that once the remodel was done in the late 90's early 00's it lost it's charm. When the water feature was removed, whenever that was, and having to place the steal tube girders along the entire front made it lose it's charm to me.
I too remember walking with my dad way back when, meeting grandpa (Pops) who was coming out of the building. Not sure why, because he was a VP at Walker Bank back then. Maybe doing some business or whatever. Ah the days.
Cool water feature for a kid, especially back in the 60's.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West