HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 10:30 PM

No one will seem to address any of my questions so, I've written you all off.

Anyway, I still want to know what the reasoning behind having BRT lines included in this proposal. I'm not opposed to BRT, I just want to know the benefits/drawbacks of a larger, multi-modal proposal rather than one simpler in scale.

Also, what kind of ridership are we getting on the bus service to the Highlands down 15th at the moment? I really don't see a streetcar being all that successful ridership-wise here unless there's either (1) more coverage throughout the highlands (e.g. loop up and back downtown via 32nd Ave/20th St or 38th Ave/Park Ave) or a better end of line (e.g. somewhere along Federal or up through Worst Highland to Sheridan).

Finally, there wasn't someone official toying with the idea of running a streetcar down 21st St. from Uptown (?) to the Rockies stadium?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANSIT View Post
Only thing I see missing is the possibility of a segment along Colfax between Federal and Broadway. I think there needs to be a more seamless connection with the south side of Auraria (it is the single busiest LRT station in the entire system). I also think there is a ton of demand for a direct (albeit a transfer) connection to SE downtown/Civic Center Station from Decatur-Federal Station (W Line). Maybe it's an alternating E. Colfax train every 15 min. or so?? Just a thought.
This seems like unnecessary cannibalization of service with the W line and little benefit, since you're just going from the Auraria station to 1/8 mile north of the Decatur station with nothing in between due to all of the bridges. Taking the streetcar further west along Colfax also doesn't make sense unless all of the W line kiss-n-ride stations are torn out and they switch to express line service. Of course, the neighbors are going to have a fit since the current trains can't exceed 35 MPH.

I'd like to see the Larimer line extended into Auraria, possibly as a streetcar if ridership is predicted to be high enough to warrant the costs. Otherwise, BRT is fine but, logistically, how are you going to move a bus through this area at speeds greater than 25 MPH? If you factor in a stop at every other block that puts the average speed down to well below that. If we're talking about a bus with frequent stops but short headways but, overall slow, then I'm fine with that, too but, that's not BRT. That's more of a branded bus, a la the Skip in Boulder.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
This seems like unnecessary cannibalization of service with the W line and little benefit, since you're just going from the Auraria station to 1/8 mile north of the Decatur station
I disagree. I think it would compliment and increase ridership on the west line if it was possible to seamlessly transfer from points west to a Colfax street car for access to Civic Center Station (South end of CBD, Civic Center, GT, Museum district, transfers down Broadway) and points further down Colfax.

There is already a high frequency bus line in place but Street Cars would appeal to a broader demographic. I assume the bus service on west Colfax will be scaled back after the SC line opens and it would make for a more seamless system to continue streetcars on to Federal forming a star at civic center.

I'm willing to admit it may not be economically feasible but if built I'm sure ridership on that segment would eclipse a highlands line of any type.

Another option would be to leave Colfax at 7th St and connect at Auraria-West but that would increase bus transfer activity at the already overburdened Auraria-Colfax station.

Last edited by Interzen; Dec 19, 2013 at 12:41 AM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Are there no more comments about routes? I don't believe it...

If we like the network I mapped out above, the next step is to make sure we can lay out a reasonable path to funding a billion-dollar-plus system. If we can't, we'll need to make cuts. It doesn't have to be exact, we just need to know that whatever we say is in the ballpark of the right scale.

So, buntie, whatcha got?

The one thing I had in the system I drew up was an extension of the california/stout LRT corridor a couple blocks to make a loop around a future "Arapahoe Square" perhaps on block 144. This AS station would provide a LRT/Welton SC/Broadway-Brighton SC interface.

In the spirit of exploring alternatives as Cirrus suggested above I also had a line headed north from DUS light rail curving east to uptown which could run through potential AS station as well.

Another alternative I explored was the Colfax line turning north at Auraria West, jumping the river to the Childrens Museum and crossing I-25 around 23rd, continuing north through Jefferson Park(would love to see a few point towers along Alcott to make use of that CMX12 and RMU30 zoning up there) and then running up Speer/Federal. This was instead of the 15th street Highlands line.

Obviously this all comes down to money but I kind of like the idea of setting up future major transfer stations encircling downtown, mainly Auraria West, Civic Center, and Arapahoe Square.

Not everything would have to be build right away but obviously trying to create a plan for the future.

A quick sketch
https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...70917,1.056747

Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 3:18 AM
cities|transit|croissants

>> Auraria / Decatur-Federal connection:

What about a priority bus line from Decatur-Federal, along Colfax, and into downtown, with transfers to the various LRT & streetcar routes? You guys know more about this than I do, but I would be worried that extending the Colfax streetcar over there would either divert too many trains from the downtown spine, or not have high enough frequency to be a useful transfer. Likewise, the Larimer line is so close to Union Station already, I don't see why any W-line riders would want to transfer in order to get to LoDo (we could pull the Larimer line into upper downtown instead of Union Station, but we'd lose the DUS transfer, and the Welton streetcar already goes from 28th to upper downtown).

Like so. Thoughts on this?

>> Highlands BRT:

Is it the entire line (including the Larimer segment) people are questioning, or just the Highlands portion? Serving those neighborhoods seems important to me, since they're places we could potentially reduce car dependence, but maybe not.

Here are some options:
  1. Eliminate the whole BRT line.
  2. Eliminate the Highlands portion of the BRT line.
  3. Downgrade the Highlands portion from BRT to priority bus (mixed-traffic but "special," and high-frequency), thus reducing the cost from $57 million to about $9 million. Keep the connection, but at much less cost.
  4. Alter the Highlands route to make it more effective. If we did this, what would be best? Extending it west on 38th? Taking a different path from the 15th Street overpass through Highlands? All on the table AFAIC.

>> jimluk's route suggestions:

These are very creative. What does everyone else think of them? They might be good ideas.
  1. Extend california/stout LRT corridor a couple blocks to make a loop around a future "Arapahoe Square".
  2. New line along 20th from DUS to uptown.
  3. Extend Colfax Streetcar to Aurora, then north into Highlands from there, bypassing downtown (except for the transfer at Civic Center)
  4. Continue Broadway line up to Brighton, instead of the Larimer BRT.
Map:

>> Other issues/questions from people:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interzen
Are there more detailed maps of the proposed routes?
I just have them in a google map right now. HERE IS THE LINK. You should be able to zoom in and out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt
No one will seem to address any of my questions so, I've written you all off. Anyway, I still want to know what the reasoning behind having BRT lines included in this proposal. I'm not opposed to BRT, I just want to know the benefits/drawbacks of a larger, multi-modal proposal rather than one simpler in scale.
Sorry. I thought we addressed this on the first page, with this:

>> If we decide to do all rail, that means we'll only be able to cover a couple of corridors. If we decide to do all bus, we're arbitrarily excluding rail from the places it might really make sense. I'm very hesitant to tie our hands and not allow what works in other cities, just to keep things simple. Matching the mode to the needs of the corridor means we can maximize our efficiency, and thus stretch out dollars the farthest.

Basically, adding in a couple of high quality bus lines allows us to cover important corridors/connections that we couldn't cover with just streetcar. And it allows us to consider potentially practical suggestions like the Decatur connection for about $9 million instead of the $115 million or so it would take to do it with streetcar.

Quote:
how are you going to move a bus through this area at speeds greater than 25 MPH? ... If we're talking about a bus with frequent stops but short headways but, overall slow, then I'm fine with that, too but, that's not BRT.
Are we giving it a dedicated lane or not? If not, we'll call it priority bus and do it for $4 million/mile instead of $25M/mi.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 5:59 AM
ColoRADo

The Colfax Connections Study is looking at Auraria as the west terminus. I think it going to DUS makes a lot of sense as well. I just think that you have to figure out a way to get to Auraria with a SC line. Colfax seems to be the easy candidate.

One thing that is missing is the idea of creating a second transit hub on the east side of downtown, specifically for potential SC/BRT/Express/RapidBus at Civic Center Station.

It's a pretty easy sell. We already have several lines intersecting there as is. Might solve some of the issues regarding having to go to DUS or Auraria.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 8:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
This might be the most foolish thing you have ever suggested. If you're into putting rail where there is no appreciable population, might I suggest the Salida to Buena Vista corridor too?

Since we're focused on how different the west side is, you'll have to tell me how southwest Denver (say along Federal) is less populated, or suitable for transit, than central Aurora west of 225? Either you're just flat wrong, or you're comparing apples to oranges.
((the old Rio Grande narrow gage did that before the automobile )

I have thought long about the possibility of a south street car light rail combo on south Kipling.

A) A nice median is available from 6th Ave to US 285.
B) A great terminal and acquirable ROW exists on the western and southern edges of the Fed Center.

Ideally, the hypothetical line would be looped into the SW line, perhaps parallel to, and, in, US 285.

C) The Lakewood Area, that this line would traverse, is going to keep growing, and, the Fed Center Station area will too.

D) I know most of us hate politics (which is one reason we rant here), but in order to expand the steel wheel (or making new BRTs*) in the Metro Area, IMO,
Lakewood, and Aurora have to be included in the sale's pitch as these cities share the longest border with the City of Denver, and, these two borders have mark high density (relatively speaking) population centers.

E) If we were to initiate serious planning on any of the routes discussed in this blog topic, when would they be completed?

Let's say- for argument's sake- that we would be dealing with a 10 to 15 year time span. Area's that are low density now, yet close to 2nd Tier employment centers will have changed by 2023 to 2028.

The steel wheel transit system- baring I-225 right of way- has been built in either low density areas (at the time of construction) or along old railroad ROW.

Any route going along very busy streets- Colfax, for example, is going to be both highly disruptive and very expensive. Consequently, future routes, IMO, should be viewed as best compromises between cost of construction and the populations that future line would serve, with the addendum that these lines will trigger densification on lines.

We already have picked "the low hanging fruit."

*Actually, a BRT would work perfectly in that median and be cheap to boot. A bus/carpool lane could be built down US 285 east from Kipling, and, feed into the Englewood Station via S. Inca. This could be done, IMO, for the cost of a mile or two on Colfax east of Civic Street Station. Assuming the 45 minute transportation yard stick, and, a 30 minute transit time from the Fed Center to Englewood Station, seems to me about 100,000 people could be served for relatively low bucks. And, Bunt, you make me realize that BRT at $4 million per mile in the median on Kipling and splitting the cost for a carpool lane with CDOT on US 285, would make such a project doable.

Another interesting side point- on US 285 from Kipling east the overpasses that have recently been widened have room for those extra two lanes almost to S Platte River Drive.

http://www.vtpi.org/gentraf.pdf

Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 3:44 PM

I think it makes plenty of sense to do streetcar or BRT on just about every major arterial we have. Wads would be natural, for example.

But not first. The first priority is central Denver. The whole point of this exercise is that FasTracks doesn't cover the inner city, the most transit-supportive places. It would defeat the purpose to get carried away with suburban routes while FasTracks is still being built out, and the inner city has nothing. Do it, yes, but not today.

If FasTracks is round 1, and Colfax/Broadway/etc is round 2, the suburban arterials (and maybe a downtown spine subway) is round 3.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 3:46 PM

Quote:
The Colfax Connections Study is looking at Auraria as the west terminus. I think it going to DUS makes a lot of sense as well. I just think that you have to figure out a way to get to Auraria with a SC line. Colfax seems to be the easy candidate.

One thing that is missing is the idea of creating a second transit hub on the east side of downtown, specifically for potential SC/BRT/Express/RapidBus at Civic Center Station.

It's a pretty easy sell. We already have several lines intersecting there as is. Might solve some of the issues regarding having to go to DUS or Auraria.
That's what I imagined, connecting a through Colfax line with a through Broadway/Five Points line, with either terminating CC and DUS lines or a through CC/DUS line and possibly a circulator line sharing the tracks on 15th & 17th but looping back at Civic Center.

Is there any precedent for sharing tracks like that to increase frequency in a subsection of a street car line?
EDIT: Is there even a need for higher frequency with the mall shuttle running parallel?

Last edited by Interzen; Dec 19, 2013 at 6:08 PM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 8:09 PM

Parallel to the mall shuttle is exactly what's needed most, because it's going to be overwhelmed by commuters dumped off at Union Station by FasTracks lines who need to get uptown. Personally, I see the downtown spine as the most important rail corridor we could do, the #1 top priority, even above Colfax. Everyone might not agree.

And, if we're going to have that, then we may as well integrate it as a through line w/ Colfax and/or Broadway, to avoid exacerbating the problem and forcing another transfer.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 8:18 PM

Quote:
I just think that you have to figure out a way to get to Auraria with a SC line.
Why? I'm not necessarily arguing against it, I just don't see why there's such a big need.

People coming in on the SW & SE LRT lines can transfer downtown if we have the downtown loop, and that's just as easy for them. People coming in on the W line do need something to get uptown, but a bus from Decatur could accomplish that more easily. Meanwhile, people coming in from any of the streetcar lines can get there by transferring onto light rail at California/Stout.

I guess I don't see why we need it, when Auraria is so well served by light rail already, and it'll be an easy transfer. Yeah transfers are bad, but so is breaking up straightforward routes with frequent service into hard-to-understand ones with a long time between trains going to the same destination. Moving trains off the downtown spine seems like a big loss to me, even if it's only a percentage of them.

Is Auraria a big destination specifically for people in the Colfax corridor? That could be a reason. But unless the percentage of streetcar riders getting on at Colfax who are going to Auraria instead of downtown is higher than 1/3, it's probably not worth it to divert 1/3 of trains to Auraria.

What am I missing? I just don't understand this one.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 8:40 PM
ColoRADo

Quote:
Why? I'm not necessarily arguing against it, I just don't see why there's such a big need.

People coming in on the SW & SE LRT lines can transfer downtown if we have the downtown loop, and that's just as easy for them. People coming in on the W line do need something to get uptown, but a bus from Decatur could accomplish that more easily. Meanwhile, people coming in from any of the streetcar lines can get there by transferring onto light rail at California/Stout.

I guess I don't see why we need it, when Auraria is so well served by light rail already, and it'll be an easy transfer. Yeah transfers are bad, but so is breaking up straightforward routes with frequent service into hard-to-understand ones with a long time between trains going to the same destination. Moving trains off the downtown spine seems like a big loss to me, even if it's only a percentage of them.

Is Auraria a big destination specifically for people in the Colfax corridor? That could be a reason. But unless the percentage of streetcar riders getting on at Colfax who are going to Auraria instead of downtown is higher than 1/3, it's probably not worth it to divert 1/3 of trains to Auraria.

What am I missing? I just don't understand this one.
This. Not sure it's 1/3, but it's significant.

Could it be a separate line/loop? Let Colfax go downtown. Have folks transfer at CCS? Thinking out loud.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Parallel to the mall shuttle is exactly what's needed most, because it's going to be overwhelmed by commuters dumped off at Union Station by FasTracks lines who need to get uptown. Personally, I see the downtown spine as the most important rail corridor we could do, the #1 top priority, even above Colfax.
Would this be intended to replace the Free MetroRide opening in May? I assume the passenger calculations used for that line include the injection of new passengers expected from DUS. That more northern route would seem to draw more of the uptown traffic than the 15th/17th route we are discussing.

If they are predicting that the Free MetroRide will relieve the pressure on the Mall Shuttle somewhat beyond 2020 then the need for additional capacity in that corridor would seem to be incremental unless we are talking about replacing one or both of the existing free rides.

The spine is about to be our best served corridor and it might make sense to have a trigger based on 16thMall/FreeMetro ridership before implementing the DUS line. At the point that they are overwhelmed I would also want to consider a SC upgrade for the mall and eventually maybe a cut and cover subway as you suggested. It would be sexy to see streetcars in the CBD but I could see that phasing in last.

I'm not convinced that most traffic coming in from east Colfax will be heading down the spine or vice verse. A significant amount of east Colfax traffic exits at Auraria and I'm also thinking of them but if we can't somehow connect to the West line then it's probobly not worth it. In my view it seems like we are forcing transfers to the north side of the CBD when many, possibly even most intra-city riders will be traveling between locations south and east and west of the CBD.

I guess it's a tug of war between providing an in-city commuter system to the DUS hub and trying to provide a balanced system for moving about the city beyond the CBD. If we are shooting for the later than we should not prioritize the DUS hub. We should provide fairly direct routes to either hub from any place it is reasonably possible.

Last edited by Interzen; Dec 20, 2013 at 1:04 AM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interzen View Post
Would this be intended to replace the Free MetroRide opening in May?
Replace or supplement. Either way, the MetroRide is not a good long term solution. It'll be slow and it'll have serious limits.

Quote:
I would also want to consider a SC upgrade for the mall
I actually think this is the best idea too, and suggested it back on the first page, but nobody else seems to want to talk about it. Maybe the mall shuttle is just too sacrosanct.

What does everyone else think about this? Instead of having the 15th/17th couplet, we replace the 16th mall shuttle with streetcar. Make it a fare-free zone on 16th Street. It'd be just like today, but with higher-capacity vehicles, and if you're going east you can just stay on.

We can even make it wireless for some added cost. Streetcars can do about a mile wire-free these days, which I assume would be politically necessary on the mall, and it isn't that much extra. Longer than a mile is hard and begins to get really expensive, but for the distances we're talking about, I think it's practical.

Quote:
I guess it's a tug of war between providing an in-city commuter system to the DUS hub and trying to provide a balanced system for moving about the city beyond the CBD.
It's not commuting to the DUS hub, it's providing an interconnected system. That's where all the other transfers happen, so that's where we need people to be able to get, so they can use our streetcar system not only to get around central Denver, but also to have use of the entire FasTracks network. Providing that connection while simultaneously providing a vastly better spine connection than the MetroRide seems like a natural synergy to me, too good to pass up. But I'm open to having my mind changed.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 3:08 AM

Quote:
This. Not sure it's 1/3, but it's significant. Could it be a separate line/loop? Let Colfax go downtown. Have folks transfer at CCS? Thinking out loud.
Does it have to be streetcar? Right now we have the Colfax and Cherry Creek lines meeting at Civic Center then going downtown. We could route one of them (or every other train, or whatever) over to Auraria, but it's expensive. If we go only so far as Auraria east LRT stop, that's another $30 million. If we go all the way to Decatur/Federal, which it seems like this connection should do, that's another $90 million. Is it really worth that much?

On the other hand, if we can do it with bus, is there a better route than the one I laid out?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 3:12 AM

Quote:
It's not commuting to the DUS hub, it's providing an interconnected system. That's where all the other transfers happen, so that's where we need people to be able to get, so they can use our streetcar system not only to get around central Denver, but also to have use of the entire FasTracks network. Providing that connection while simultaneously providing a vastly better spine connection than the MetroRide seems like a natural synergy to me, too good to pass up. But I'm open to having my mind changed.
But our south and west light rail lines cross Colfax so close to the current streetcar terminus at CCS that it seems shame not to connect them. I also like the idea of traveling most of the length of 'America's Longest Main Street' by rail with a single transfer between Golden and Aurora but I may have to let that dream go.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 4:32 AM

I'm actually 100% for replacing the 16th Street mall shuttle with a streetcar. It certainly mitigates the expensive paver maintenance issue. I just think that it's going to be very politically controversial and I wouldn't want a hypothetical streetcar proposal to fail because people don't want to change the mall.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interzen View Post
But our south and west light rail lines cross Colfax so close to the current streetcar terminus at CCS that it seems shame not to connect them.
The idea isn't for everything to end at Civic Center, it's for the Cherry Creek & Colfax lines to meet at Civic Center and then continue through downtown via 15th/17th to DUS. So the SE & SW lines are connected, where the 15th/17th spine crosses California/Stout, and then at Union Station. Granted that's a little inconvenient if you're on the Colfax line and want to end at Auraria, but we can't give *everyone* a one-seat ride.

Quote:
I'm actually 100% for replacing the 16th Street mall shuttle with a streetcar.
So that's 3 votes for to none against, so far. We could map it on 16th, and in the text leave a note that says 15th/17th is another option, and the MetroRide route is a 3rd.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 1:12 PM

Cirrus, notice how the 15/15L and 16 bus routes intentionally are routed to share the same stop westbound at Colfax and Broadway, and eastbound at Broadway and Cleveland (to be relocated to Colfax and Broadway in January). This allows east-west Colfax customers to change buses without going further into the CBD. Any reroute of any transit route, bus or rail, must be as convenient as existing service, to avoid inconvenience for the transit customer.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 3:38 PM

I'm not sure I understand your comment. The Colfax streetcar route I have right now is exactly the same in the Civic Center area as the 15 bus route. Are you arguing to keep it the way it is, instead of extending it west to Auraria as others have proposed? Or arguing against the proposed switch to 16th instead of 15th/17th? Or something else?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West