HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 4:41 PM

Does anyone know the history of the Firestone Auto building on 3rd Ave and Van Buren? I've never paid attention to it but they are painting it right now so I happened to look as I was driving by and noticed the building has some pretty interesting detail to it, it appears to be built with some thought. Looking at the layout of it I think maybe it was a car dealership originally like some of the other buildings on that section of VB?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Does anyone know the history of the Firestone Auto building on 3rd Ave and Van Buren? I've never paid attention to it but they are painting it right now so I happened to look as I was driving by and noticed the building has some pretty interesting detail to it, it appears to be built with some thought. Looking at the layout of it I think maybe it was a car dealership originally like some of the other buildings on that section of VB?
You made me curious so I had a look. It's on the National Register of Historic Places. Looks like it's always been a Firestone building, and was built in 1925 as the original Firestone distribution center for the Southwest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...ngs_in_Phoenix

http://npgallery.nps.gov/nrhp/AssetD...e-c4aaf0331b3e

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 5:17 PM

Thanks!

I bet some sand blasting would make that building look really cool.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Thanks!

Yeah, those moderne-ish columns are nice looking. Can you tell if the painting is a big change, or just a fresh coat?

Here are some photos from the McCulloch Bros. collection ASU hosts:

I wonder if they still have the big sign.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 8:34 PM

It looked like a fresh coat of the same, they even taped off the existing racing stripes on the side of the building to keep those.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 7:42 PM

Just saw an interesting blog post discussing a plan for Downtown Phoenix from 1985. For those that find these things interest:

http://www.historyadventuring.com/20...enix-plan.html

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 7:56 PM

That's an interesting graphic... once you figure that North is down and South is up.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Thanks!

Agreed. IMO, this building has more potential than the one over on 4th Ave being adapted into the new theater. You can easily picture something like a Windsor/Churn concept with indoor and outdoor spaces; even better with a high-rise built adjacent.

Sun Devil Auto does not have the same level of detail, but would a restoration would look also be a good fit next to Crescent.

I hope that the new theater gets the ball rolling for WVB -- it's a shame to see adapted projects sitting empty.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Just saw an interesting blog post discussing a plan for Downtown Phoenix from 1985. For those that find these things interest:

Ha, if only!!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 9:28 PM

Maricopa County Added Over 222 People Per Day in 2016, More Than Any Other County

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/pres...7/cb17-44.html

Quote:
Maricopa County, Ariz., replaced Harris County, Texas, as the county with the nation's highest annual population growth, according to U.S. Census Bureau population estimates released today. Harris County was the largest numeric gainer for eight years in a row. Maricopa County gained 81,360 people between July 1, 2015 and July 1, 2016, or about 222 people per day, while the nation's second-largest population gainer, Harris County, gained 56,587 people, or about 155 people per day on average.

Maricopa County, home to Phoenix, primarily grew through the addition of 43,189 residents from net domestic migration, a measure of how many people move to or from an area versus other parts of the United States. The county also added 25,428 people from natural increase (more births than deaths) and 10,188 people from net international migration...

"In the early 2000s, Maricopa County was in the top one or two counties by numeric growth. From 2009-2011, Maricopa County saw much lower net migration than in the years before or after, which caused the county to drop out of the top population-gaining counties," explained Peter Borsella, a demographer in the Census Bureau's population division. "While net international migration has not reached prior levels, net domestic migration and natural increase have continued to rise, making Maricopa County this year's largest numeric gainer."

In addition, Maricopa grew the fastest among the top 10 largest counties at 1.95 percent, an increase from 1.90 percent from the previous year. Harris County remained the third-largest county with 4.6 million people, and Maricopa County remained the fourth-largest county with 4.2 million people. Los Angeles County and Cook County, Ill., remained the largest and second-largest counties, respectively.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 1:40 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post

I'm so glad we survived this. The superblock on Central and Thomas housing the CenturyLink tower is very close to some of the depicted projects, and if crap like that were downtown they'd be worse than a vacant lot. Single use projects, blank walls, too many cars, generally dead courtyard retail, etc--its very difficult to plan your way out of garbage like that without wholesale demolition.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 9:32 AM

Took pictures of the lesser mentioned projects going on around Midtown and Downtown

Development at 3rd Ave and Indian School:

Curve at Melrose (7th Ave)

3rd St at Thomas

Central at Monterey

3rd/4th St at Roosevelt

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 5:12 PM

Woah! what's that Indian school Project?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 5:36 PM

The tall one appears to be senior housing based on the construction permits.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 5:03 PM

Hi all,

There's a new restaurant on Indian School Rd & 44th St. They have Doughbird and Smashburgers, as well. I just saw that. I rode on the city bus. I took on route 44. It is on Southwest corner.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 2:02 PM

Has The Counter started closing early? It was closed both Saturday and Monday night at 7:00 pm when I went by on the light rail.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 6:13 PM

For those interested in possible MLS expansion for Phoenix Rising, FC, here is an article updating on the latest for the cities vying for expansions:

http://www.thebluetestament.com/2017...power-rankings

The author may be a little optimistic, but he ranks Phoenix as #3 in his "power rankings" for expansion cities. This is in part to other cities' loss being Phoenix's gain--public funding for St. Louis was voted down, and Miami, which seemed assured, appears to be stumbling. Other places like Indianapolis and San Diego also have potential stadium funding hurdles. If the Phoenix ownership group's claim that they can privately fund the stadium is true, that seems to be a huge advantage.

The only big hurdle for Phoenix was a team people actually come out to see. On that front, so far so good--in a 6,200 seat stadium, they've had reported attendance of 6,890 and 6,330 in the first two home matches.

I'm still trying not to get my hopes up, but it does seem like more of a reasonable possibility now than it did before the season started.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 2:59 PM

AZ Central Commentary

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...ity/369917001/

Quote:
A lot of kids who grow up in Phoenix think that one day they’ll move to a big city. Technically, that leaves few options in the U.S.

Phoenix is now the fifth-largest by population. Its land area exceeds New York City, Los Angeles and Chicago. The number of people who live here lags those cities, and Houston, but surpasses all others.

But those looking for a "big city" don’t mean a place with more residents or square miles. People associate themwith skyscrapers and trains and more than one busker playing electric guitar downtown on a Friday night.

As Phoenix well knows, big doesn’t equal urban. It's a concept I learned early as a Millennial who was born in the Valley suburbs, grew up downtown and spent a spell in Mexico City before coming back home.

Critics again called Phoenix out as one of the nation’s largest suburbs when the city surpassed Philadelphia in the U.S. Census Bureau’s most recent population estimates. It’s OK that Philly fell in the ranking, they said, because at least it’s a "real" city.

In terms of development, Phoenix looks more like a real city than it has in decades. Since it lost its top-five population spot in 2010, new apartments, university buildings and residents have transformed downtown. Neighborhoods outside the urban core are bustling with hubs of bars and restaurants.

Phoenix has an estimated 1,615,017 residents, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. More people moved here from July 1, 2015, to July 1, 2016, than any other city in the country, according to the census.

The flap over size raises a question: Will Phoenix ever have the cachet of cities such as Philadelphia, Seattle or San Francisco — or is that even our goal?

The city is 'hiding in all that sprawl'

Phoenix falls short in some of the basic measures that give people the sense of a big city.

It anchors a metro area that doesn’t crack the top 10 in population. And the city itself is spread out.

An urban core that was once a cohesive neighborhood went through decades of tear-downs. The rest of the city was built for cars.

Phoenix has about 2,800 people per square mile of land, according to 2010 census data, which is on par with smaller cities such as Indianapolis or Fort Worth. New York City is nearly 10 times denser.

And while Phoenix has pieces of a real city, they’re “hiding in all that sprawl,” said Jon Talton, a former columnist for The Arizona Republic. The Phoenix native now lives in Seattle.

Neighborhoods don’t fit together in a way that gives people a sense of place, Talton said. Norterra is distinct from Ahwatukee, but they’re about 35 miles and two freeways apart.

Even central neighborhoods such as Willo or Cheery Lynn historic districts are nothing like Seattle’s Ballard or Los Angeles' Los Feliz, where you can spend a day exploring on foot.

And downtown, you might find full bars and restaurants but few people walking among them.

Phoenix also has struggled to present an identity synonymous with the city, especially challenging when the area only has about 150 years of modern history.

People love to talk about whether Phoenix should exist (who can forget being called the world's least sustainable city). But even many locals don't know why it's here.

When you visit Boston or Philadelphia, you can't avoid learning their origins. The significance of every site is etched on plaques and marketed as an attraction.

But how many people can name Jack Swilling, a Phoenix founder who built canals in the mid-1800s to bring farmland to the desert? Or know that Phoenix is so named because it rose from the Hohokam civilization that came before it?

And few institutions remain that tie us to our past. While the Phoenix Country Club and the city's rotary club both date back more than a century, traditions that bring the entire community together are fairly recent.

The APS Electric Light Parade, for example, stretches back three decades. That's a far cry from Philadelphia's Mummers Parade that goes back officially for more than a century. Chicago has dyed its river green to celebrate St. Patrick's Day for at least 50 years.

Even our sports teams are new. My generation is the first to grow up watching the Arizona Cardinals and Arizona Diamondbacks play here.

Our oldest team, the Phoenix Suns, started playing in 1968. The Boston Red Sox were founded in 1901.

But youth does give Phoenix the chance to do things its own way.

Bank One Ballpark, now Chase Field, was among the first to be built with both a retractable roof and natural grass. America West Arena, now Talking Stick Resort Arena, was lauded in the 1990s for the amenities no other arena offered, such as multi-level luxury boxes, attached premium parking and practice facilities.

The perceived lack of history is a quality city leaders have more recently flipped into a positive: Phoenix isn't bound by tradition

Does Phoenix have culture?

Those factors feed the perception that Phoenix is devoid of culture. It's not true, but you may have to look closer to find it here than other cities.

The most Instagrammed spot in Phoenix last year was the airport, according to the company.

Phoenix, though, has a few cultural engines that other cities don't, said James Ballinger, who retired as director of the Phoenix Art Museum in 2014 after four decades there.

There's Frank Lloyd Wright's imprint on the metro area, he said. The Heard Museum, which showcases Native cultures and art, recently attracted the only North America stop of a Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera exhibition. And the Desert Botanical Garden is unique for its focus on the plants that grow only in Arizona.

Ballinger said he has seen tremendous expansion in the city's institutions since the 1970s, before there was the Arizona Science Center or the Children's Museum of Phoenix. Major investments came from bonds approved by voters.

When I was starting elementary school, the Orpheum Theatre reopened after a years-long project to restore it to its 1929 splendor. Our teachers took us to watch the symphony, the ballet, and plays by Phoenix Theatre's Cookie Company, which included cookies and milk after the performance.

Still, it's a struggle for cultural organizations to keep up with the city's growth, Ballinger said. Phoenix doesn't have the endowments or big foundations to fund them the way older cities do, he said.

"You don't have a long history of philanthropy," Ballinger said.

And the churn in the population here makes it hard to build a brand and audience, he said.

Too many people who live in Phoenix consider their true home somewhere else, Talton said. He also sees a lack of business leaders passionate about investing in the city, and others who see it as disposable.

“Loving a community is a very special thing, and we’ve lost some of that,” Talton said.

It's true that many classmates from my performing-arts high school moved to other cities with no plans to come back. But I also often run into others who are promoting local businesses, acting in plays, working in social services and trying to make Phoenix a better place.

Downtown emerges as urban option

And Phoenix looks different to natives who came of age since the last time it was a top-five city. The lifestyle we can live here was impossible for our parents.

The first stretch of light rail opened at the end of 2008, a concept of transit so novel for Phoenix that my friends and I took it to our tropical-themed prom at Chase Tower.

Phoenix dropped to the sixth-largest city in 2010, the same year Macy Gray and Third Eye Blind helped celebrate the opening of CityScape. The massive mixed-use complex brought shopping and bowling to downtown Phoenix, and dining options to supplement Baja Fresh.

Now, people regularly wait in line for 20 minutes next to alley dumpsters to hear music at an underground bar. Good luck finding parking during the monthly art walks on Roosevelt Row.

The New York Times even recently listed Phoenix as an option for a car-free vacation.

That doesn’t mean everyone lives downtown. Developers are still building hundreds of single-family homes on the city’s edges.

But some suburban-raised locals have discovered an urban pocket they hardly knew existed. West Valley native Brandi Porter said she was ready to leave Phoenix after high school for a “big city” like Seattle or New York, where transit and culture seemed so accessible.

Porter, 24, instead decided to go to Arizona State University downtown and now works for a group promoting the city center. Five years after moving to the area, she said she’s glad she stayed, even if Phoenix will never be like those other cities.

There’s tons to do, Porter said, and the area is growing. Even better, the community is close enough to know the people creating the change.

“No one can deny the progress that has been made,” Porter said.

More than real estate and sunshine

It’s not the first time people have been optimistic that Phoenix has finally arrived. But at recent events, such as the groundbreaking of downtown’s only grocery store or the passage of a transit tax to expand light rail, leaders said it’s starting to look like a big city.

Talton said Phoenix has had urban victories, but warns against ignoring the challenges that come with growth. City officials also stressed that how Phoenix grows is more important than its population ranking.

People still come here for its relative affordability and sunshine, Talton said. But Phoenix won’t be competitive without addressing the lack of major company headquarters and universities for a city its size, or the impact of climate change on its future, he said.

Big companies such as Dial Corp. left the city over the years, and Phoenix still has a reputation for attracting warehouses and call centers.

Economic development leaders say that's changing. They tout the surge of tech startups and offices here, but real estate is still big business.

Because even with all the growth, only about 1 percent of Phoenix's population lives in the heart of downtown, according to recent estimates from Downtown Phoenix Inc. That increases to 6 percent within a 3-mile radius of First and Washington streets.

And for many, part of the city’s appeal is that it’s not Los Angeles or Chicago or New York.

Zoning hearings are full of people who like the large lots in Arcadia and south Phoenix’s agricultural character. People want properties big enough to keep horses on just miles from downtown.It’s why they moved here.

And many residents treasure the part of Phoenix's massive land area that's undeveloped desert. At more than 16,000 acres, South Mountain Park and Preserve is often cited as the country's largest city park.

Even in the city center, urbanization is often fraught. People don’t want to lose beloved businesses to high-rises, or be priced out of renting an apartment.

I met a group of 20-somethings this month who recently relocated to Phoenix and were checking out the First Friday art walk. One came from Boston to work here remotely. Another moved from San Diego, and a third turned down a job in San Francisco for a tech position here.

“Why?” asked the other Phoenix native in the group. Those are all great cities, we both thought.

They’re great but expensive, they said. Phoenix offered the sweet spot of big-city amenities at prices they could afford.

The ones that stay here might create a new definition of what urban living means.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 3:08 PM
self-important urbanista

^I like Brenna Goth as a city hall reporter, but that front page story disappointed me. It's one cliche after another and way too much space is given to the opinions of Phoenician-in-exile Jon Talton.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 3:45 PM
BANNED

I couldn't agree more exit2lef. Phoenix is what it is. It's more urban than it's ever been, and maybe urban is a different notion when it's in a desert! Besides, most of those other cities were full-fledged cities over a hundred years ago, so I say pfft!

Talton had his moments years ago when he lived here, but in general his musing about Phoenix sound more like a child who had mommy/daddy issues. Time for him to process them and move on.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest