HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 10:26 PM

Cause of "sprawl" - 141 v La Placita

141 is zoned C-3, which calls for "mid-rise" development and I think only allows you to go up about 70'. From the elevation I've seen, they are using about as much volume as they can without rezoning.

La Placita is OCR-2, which provides for high-rise development, which is the same zone as the towers. This one could be MUCH taller.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2016, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Now View Post
141 is zoned C-3, which calls for "mid-rise" development and I think only allows you to go up about 70'. From the elevation I've seen, they are using about as much volume as they can without rezoning.

La Placita is OCR-2, which provides for high-rise development, which is the same zone as the towers. This one could be MUCH taller.
You are my friend.

Glad to hear support for MUCH taller buildings at downtown.

HSL rendering is not impressive. I wished they just leave downtown for good.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2016, 5:34 PM

Quote:
This would not be a bad development (except for the lack of commercial) if it were just outside of downtown on Broadway or Stone or 4th/6th. And it will help bring people back downtown.

But it would be nice to see some imagination, like this new "apartment complex" proposed for downtown Des Moines...

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/sto...ines/83501816/

SIGH...

Last edited by InTheBurbs; Jul 23, 2016 at 5:35 PM. Reason: wording

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerk View Post
Downtown Tucson isn't that big. And 10 floors + 10 floors + 10 floors = 30 floor building.
Where else can you build a tall building in Tucson.

The reason downtown is having difficulty developing 30+ floor buildings is not lack of demand, it's the usual NIMBY's that are against such height and the developers that don't have enough $$$.
...I dont mean to sound dense, but I don't seem to understand the bias here. Just a few pages back, everyone bashed on farmerk for suggesting a high-rise building anywhere in DT. Now EVERYONE'S upset that a tiny building is going up in this lot. I agree, 30 floors may never happen, but his logic and everyone else's about conservative footprints makes sense. Instead of building three 10 story buildings, make one 30 floors tall... take the Broadway/Stone intersection; two nearly identical buildings where you could've added 5 more floors to the currently FULL One East. Just my two cents

Also, the triangle lot just north of the Ronstadt has work going on. Is this infrastructure for the proposed mixed use "tower" planned?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 2:35 AM

It looks like No Anchovies on University is being completely remodeled. Passed by earlier today and saw that they had a concept picture out in front stating that they will be completed by September. I was not able to get a picture, but all that remains of the old building is the front facade and some structural components.

On a side note, I am so excited by all the development happening in Tucson, especially in and around downtown. I constantly check in here for updates and am delighted to see so many people sharing in that same excitement!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 3:53 PM

Quote:

You make good points. There's always strategies such as rezoning, variances, compromise that can be utilized for the 141 development. For example, plan A can be a 10 story structure on the north lot, while the south lot would be 3-4. Plan B can be what they got now. The type of proposals that 141 and La Placita are throwing are typically seen on the edges of downtown...not in the core of downtown.

But I think we all agree that the La Placita proposal was an utter disappointment and more and better can be done.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheBurbs View Post
This would not be a bad development (except for the lack of commercial) if it were just outside of downtown on Broadway or Stone or 4th/6th. And it will help bring people back downtown.

But it would be nice to see some imagination, like this new "apartment complex" proposed for downtown Des Moines...

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/sto...ines/83501816/

SIGH...
If HSL took their building and tilted it to its side, we would have this!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 10:12 PM

Sounds like Rio Nuevo approved a $2.6 million loan to Bourn Companies to get City Park moving.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
Sounds like Rio Nuevo approved a $2.6 million loan to Bourn Companies to get City Park moving.
Is it my imagination, or does this keep getting smaller...
Quote:
City Park would be a four-story building including a first-floor food court, second-floor games attraction with bowling and billiards, and third-floor offices. The top floor would be a deck.
More from tucson.com.

Latest renders from Bourn's Facebook page:

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheBurbs View Post
Is it my imagination, or does this keep getting smaller...

More from tucson.com.

Latest renders from Bourn's Facebook page:
There's been ongoing confusion regarding whether the top floor is fully enclosed or not. The constantly changing (and diminishing) renderings don't help the confusion. With that said, I do think the concept will be a benefit to downtown.

EDIT - There's a full story on the decision up on the Star's website now: http://tucson.com/news/local/govt-an...hare&id=201408

What kills me is how relatively inexpensive this project is - $17 million - and how much trouble Bourn is having raising capital.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarainza View Post
...I dont mean to sound dense, but I don't seem to understand the bias here. Just a few pages back, everyone bashed on farmerk for suggesting a high-rise building anywhere in DT. Now EVERYONE'S upset that a tiny building is going up in this lot. I agree, 30 floors may never happen, but his logic and everyone else's about conservative footprints makes sense. Instead of building three 10 story buildings, make one 30 floors tall... take the Broadway/Stone intersection; two nearly identical buildings where you could've added 5 more floors to the currently FULL One East. Just my two cents

Also, the triangle lot just north of the Ronstadt has work going on. Is this infrastructure for the proposed mixed use "tower" planned?
Thanks Omarainza.

The Ronstadt Project is a disappointment. I wished the Greyhound Terminal should be included in this project as originally planned. It's nice to have a real transportation hub. That building is not attractive.

I wished that Bourne Project, City Park, fails.

City should restart new bids and require a minimum height of 30 floors downtown. These cheap grade ugly 4 floor 'towers' needs to STOP otherwise downtown will end up looking like a typical strip mall and cookie cutter office park.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 4:10 PM

Rio Nuevo blesses two new projects downtown

This article has a little more detail.

I'm excited about the Marist/Foundation for Senior Living re-development. A 7-story structure (from the current 2-3) with an acceptable urban design.

City Park...well, the concept is cool. Albuquerque is doing the same thing, but with housing...albeit they aren't on par with the # of housing projects downtown Tucson is developing and/or planning. I remember Bourn started with a 15 story structure...down to 9, then 7, 6, 5, now 4. I'm not as critical in the outcome, height-wise. (The decade long delay, what a joke.) I always hope for taller, but the concept of "entertainment" is an intriguing one for me.

Construction in 2 to 3 months...we'll see

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 4:28 PM

Something to remember with all the talk about taller buildings: Tall buildings require bigger foundations and more expensive support structures. That increases the expense of the project and usually makes projects impossible to finance.

A developer can seek funding for a 30 story building at a cost of $125 Million with a projected ROI of 20 years. Or he/she can reduce the height to 5 stories, not require a steel base or large foundation, reduce the cost to $15 million and have a projected ROI in 5 years. Easier to get funding for the second option.

That is why most of the buildings are staying 6 floors or less - my assumption anyway.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyabe View Post
Something to remember with all the talk about taller buildings: Tall buildings require bigger foundations and more expensive support structures. That increases the expense of the project and usually makes projects impossible to finance.

A developer can seek funding for a 30 story building at a cost of $125 Million with a projected ROI of 20 years. Or he/she can reduce the height to 5 stories, not require a steel base or large foundation, reduce the cost to $15 million and have a projected ROI in 5 years. Easier to get funding for the second option.

That is why most of the buildings are staying 6 floors or less - my assumption anyway.
This is exactly it.

A separate issue, which comes down to personal taste, is whether you'd prefer density over height. I'd personally prefer a downtown filled with lower buildings but no surface parking over a downtown with a few tall buildings and tons of surface parking, which is what we would have with fewer (but taller) infill projects.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 6:09 PM

Has anyone found any articles or information regarding either The Dinerstein Companies proposed project by the Chase bank off Speedway/ near The Hub/Sol y Luna and the proposed development on top of the Palm Shadows building just down the street? Have searched all over for some more info on these two proposals and cant seem to find anything.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reighm01 View Post
Has anyone found any articles or information regarding either The Dinerstein Companies proposed project by the Chase bank off Speedway/ near The Hub/Sol y Luna and the proposed development on top of the Palm Shadows building just down the street? Have searched all over for some more info on these two proposals and cant seem to find anything.
There's some new permit information for the Dinerstein project up on PRO from earlier this month but no renders yet. I think the Palm Shadows development is on indefinite hold.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
There's some new permit information for the Dinerstein project up on PRO from earlier this month but no renders yet. I think the Palm Shadows development is on indefinite hold.
Thank you ! Any other student housing developments being discussed that you may be aware of or are they tapped out with the new one opening this year (Hub 2)?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reighm01 View Post
Thank you ! Any other student housing developments being discussed that you may be aware of or are they tapped out with the new one opening this year (Hub 2)?
I think that's it right now.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2016, 6:04 PM

AC Marriott - 080116

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 9:32 PM

This is the new trend...

Innovate Albq

Phoenix Encore on Van Buren

La Placita

141 South Stone

Last edited by southtucsonboy77; Aug 3, 2016 at 10:34 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest