HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Nov 27, 2021, 11:07 PM

Architectural & Urban Design in Ottawa\Gatineau

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideauRat View Post
easily amongst the saddest downgrade, shouldn't of even released the old concept.
I just hope that Main+Main on Albert inspires people to demand more from developers and architects in this city.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanarchit View Post
Gosh! That would have been amazing if built anywhere in Ottawa. I like that the tower is slimmer and setback with a mid-rise podium. I realllllly hope they will recycle this design somewhere it can be shown off prominently. Like Gladstone Station or Little Italy area or Tunney's Pasture or even near Mackenzie King Bridge and Waller and in Centretown.
Hobin is capable of designing something different. So why always recycle his square designs with industrial looking windows? RLA is the same, using the same design over and over with a few better designs here and there.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Hobin is capable of designing something different. So why always recycle his square designs with industrial looking windows? RLA is the same, using the same design over and over with a few better designs here and there.
Probably because the Ottawa market is dominated by cheap and unimaginative developers that probably literally laugh out loud when anything interesting is brought to the table by an architect.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 3:10 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Probably because the Ottawa market is dominated by cheap and unimaginative developers that probably literally laugh out loud when anything interesting is brought to the table by an architect.
I mean... doesn't that literally describe Ottawa as a whole? Every single aspect of this city and the people that live in it is watered down nonsense.

Without sandbagging the city and it's people as a whole... lets look at the state of the Red Blacks... The Ottawa Senators and it's owner.. their lack of ability to hang onto ANY talent over the years. How many baseball teams and soccer teams have we had? It's pathetic.

Let's talk about art and culture... sure we have a pile of world class museums but those aren't really a reflection of local culture.

After House of Targ... name me some fun places to go for a night out that doesn't necessarily involve drinking. Sure we have some escape rooms and axe throwing places but Targ is definitely a spot you can hang out at.

That is a legit question BTW... I'm all ears for a House of Targ type of spot if anyone can recommend me something.

*edit* RIP... Zaphods... Rock Junction... IS Barrymores even a thing anymore?

If you like Shoppers drug marts and RBC fully occupying the entirety of retail podiums with 18 foot ceilings and massive floor plates ensuring no small business could ever survive then this town is FOR YOU!!!!

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboycurtis View Post
I mean... doesn't that literally describe Ottawa as a whole? Every single aspect of this city and the people that live in it is watered down nonsense.

Without sandbagging the city and it's people as a whole... lets look at the state of the Red Blacks... The Ottawa Senators and it's owner.. their lack of ability to hang onto ANY talent over the years. How many baseball teams and soccer teams have we had? It's pathetic.

Let's talk about art and culture... sure we have a pile of world class museums but those aren't really a reflection of local culture.

After House of Targ... name me some fun places to go for a night out that doesn't necessarily involve drinking. Sure we have some escape rooms and axe throwing places but Targ is definitely a spot you can hang out at.

That is a legit question BTW... I'm all ears for a House of Targ type of spot if anyone can recommend me something.

*edit* RIP... Zaphods... Rock Junction... IS Barrymores even a thing anymore?

If you like Shoppers drug marts and RBC fully occupying the entirety of retail podiums with 18 foot ceilings and massive floor plates ensuring no small business could ever survive then this town is FOR YOU!!!!
You can't blame people for not being able to afford rent on podiums that are only accessible by big corps such as banks, pharma, or coffee chains. If you want a lively downtown where people visit often, you need to offer a space that is cheap for customer. Chances that these type of businesses would succeed are low as they would operate at a loss.

People do have outings, but there is just so much one can afford in a budget when you have to spend money in most places. I hate the "Ottawa people are boring" argument. (you don't say it specifically, but it is implied. So I speak for the mentality on this forum in general) People just have different priorities or different living context. Instead of being quick at labeling people "boring", can we ask ourselves, "why people are not going out?". Could it be that lots live in the suburb and don't want to commute back to the core? Could it be unreliable public transportation that people want to avoid? Is the amount of time required to move from one part of the city to another too expensive in people's "time budget"? Could it be that they prefer spending their money on other aspect of life such as traveling, uber eats, streaming platforms?

I don't know, I'm just brainstorming. But it is clear to me that people aren't simply "boring". Boring isn't the cause, but rather a symptom of multiple issues that ends up in this "stay at home" behavior.

And for sports teams, you do have greedy big ego owners, but the reason they can't keep big names is probably because the whole Ottawa context just can't compete with the benefits other American cities offer. Not because people are "boring". The reason they can't fill stadiums might be because we don't want to commute to Kanata, or "drive" to Lansdowne. It could be that we can watch the same sport on our comfy couch with cheap beer, on our 4K Ultra HD 80" TVs. I think it just comes to comfort and priorities.

If you can offer something that can compete with the comfort and convenience of things we already get at home, you might have a successful business.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralCitizen View Post
You can't blame people for not being able to afford rent on podiums that are only accessible by big corps such as banks, pharma, or coffee chains. If you want a lively downtown where people visit often, you need to offer a space that is cheap for customer. Chances that these type of businesses would succeed are low as they would operate at a loss.

People do have outings, but there is just so much one can afford in a budget when you have to spend money in most places. I hate the "Ottawa people are boring" argument. (you don't say it specifically, but it is implied. So I speak for the mentality on this forum in general) People just have different priorities or different living context. Instead of being quick at labeling people "boring", can we ask ourselves, "why people are not going out?". Could it be that lots live in the suburb and don't want to commute back to the core? Could it be unreliable public transportation that people want to avoid? Is the amount of time required to move from one part of the city to another too expensive in people's "time budget"? Could it be that they prefer spending their money on other aspect of life such as traveling, uber eats, streaming platforms?

I don't know, I'm just brainstorming. But it is clear to me that people aren't simply "boring". Boring isn't the cause, but rather a symptom of multiple issues that ends up in this "stay at home" behavior.

And for sports teams, you do have greedy big ego owners, but the reason they can't keep big names is probably because the whole Ottawa context just can't compete with the benefits other American cities offer. Not because people are "boring". The reason they can't fill stadiums might be because we don't want to commute to Kanata, or "drive" to Lansdowne. It could be that we can watch the same sport on our comfy couch with cheap beer, on our 4K Ultra HD 80" TVs. I think it just comes to comfort and priorities.

If you can offer something that can compete with the comfort and convenience of things we already get at home, you might have a successful business.
At the risk of going further OT, I'll respectfully disagree. I think it's a "chicken and the egg" situation when it comes to boring people and unimaginative businesses. When I moved to Ottawa I was firmly against the notion that Ottawa and Ottawans are boring. After having lived here for a few years, I've since revised my stance to say that only Ottawa isn't boring, but Ottawans, unfortunately, are.

I remember finding it odd that my public sector friends in their mid twenties were so keen on retreating back to their suburban caves the moment they got off work, even with so many decent pubs within walking distance of the office. Invites to go out and do various activities were often met with "yeah, I would but........." followed by every form of excuse in the book that prevented them from leaving the house. Yet, you could always count on them reciting the classic "there's nothing to do in Ottawa" the minute the topic came up.

Over time, I think businesses have adapted to accommodate Ottawa residents' homebody nature. Interesting bars/restaurants close their doors, while food delivery services thrive because nobody wants to leave their homes. We get unimaginative architecture for the same reason that there are very few designer brand stores, despite the relatively high average income - because nobody here cares about looks or style, or impressing other people for that matter. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with that attitude, but it's certainly different from most other metros of 1+ million people.

As for sports, yes a lot could be done to up the entertainment value or convenience for attending a Sens game, namely the arena location, but you have to remember the Sens did originally try to build their arena at Lebreton Flats in the 90s and were denied. People will complain about ticket prices, etc. etc. but the reality is that tickets in Ottawa are dirt cheap, people would just rather watch at home on the couch. Again, nothing inherently wrong with having a personal preference, but over time you do see where the "boring" moniker comes from.

I'll just add that in no way am I putting the onus on people who are struggling financially to spend money they can't afford to, I'm referring to the people who do have disposable income. And there are lots of them in Ottawa.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboycurtis View Post

I think you are a little harsh on the sports side. Yes, the Redblacks had a rough year, but it's pretty hard to say that their tenure has not been a big success. And I'm not sure that the Sens have had more trouble hanging on to talent that other small-market teams. The best players they've had, Karlsson and Alfredsson were here through the entire prime of their careers. Their current young core is locked up for 6-8 years. I guess it depends on what standard you are applying, but the Sens are certainly not down with the Buffalos and Arizonas in terms of keeping talent. Heck, I'm not sure Montreal does any better attracting or holding onto their talent, even with all of the resources at their disposal.

As for local culture, you have to look at institutions like the OAG, the GCTC, Saw and the Gladstone as pretty significant players on the scene that are homegrown. Also the numerous festivals which hold their own against any other city.

And as for fun places that don't involve drinking or high cost, I'm not sure what type of places you are thinking of in other cities that we lack. When I lived in Toronto, it seemed that everywhere you went out cost a fortune. In addition, you didn't have access to the free outdoor activities that you have here.

Just my two cents, but I find that a lot of the criticism of Ottawa is a little over the top. I've always lived close to downtown and have never had any trouble finding places to go or people to go with.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 4:35 PM

And I might add that looking at festivals and major events we have had recently (the machine, Miwate, red bull crash ice, ...) I find that attendance isn't lacking. Sure a big portion comes from tourism, but speaking for myself, I have been to multiple events and I'm not a tourist.

The "People of Ottawa are boring" is as lazy an argument as "there's nothing to do in Ottawa". There is plenty to do if you take the time to find things to do. You just have to look at the capital through the eyes of a tourist and you'll easily find things you didn't even know we have.

Decent pubs close to office doesn't mean that's where people want to go. some people want to go home, change clothes, put something more casual, feed the kids, etc... Proximity to where people live is better. But in a city with a sprawled low density, it impossible to provide close to home activities for everybody.

Having higher income doesn't mean you have more disposable income either. You'd be surprise the amount of people living in giant houses who have trouble paying their credit card bills, and missing one paycheck makes them struggle.

Like I previously said, you want people to do stuff, you have to compete with convenience and comfort they have at home. Give dial-up internet to everybody in the capital and no data plans and I guaranty you people will spend more time outside.

As for architecture, I agree the fault sits on the developers' shoulders. We as residents are not offered the choice for better architecture. Just looking at the chateau Laurier proposed addition, the majority of residents hates it. But other than filling surveys and sending complaints, where is the control for Ottawa's citizen to decide that we want better architecture? People do care, we are just not given the choice for better.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 4:39 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTcrawler
As for sports, yes a lot could be done to up the entertainment value or convenience for attending a Sens game, namely the arena location, but you have to remember the Sens did originally try to build their arena at Lebreton Flats in the 90s and were denied. People will complain about ticket prices, etc. etc. but the reality is that tickets in Ottawa are dirt cheap, people would just rather watch at home on the couch. Again, nothing inherently wrong with having a personal preference, but over time you do see where the "boring" moniker comes from.
Nobody wants to go to Kanata. Put an arena somewhere more central and the attendance issues wash away. I think I only went to four Sens games in my six years in Ottawa because going to Kanata is simply a waste of time and energy, and I go to quite a few sport events in any given year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235
The best players they've had, Karlsson and Alfredsson were here through the entire prime of their careers. Their current young core is locked up for 6-8 years. I guess it depends on what standard you are applying, but the Sens are certainly not down with the Buffalos and Arizonas in terms of keeping talent. Heck, I'm not sure Montreal does any better attracting or holding onto their talent, even with all of the resources at their disposal.
Plenty of Sens players stick around and want to stay in Ottawa but the owner cuts off all people at the knees and makes it impossible. Ottawa does well on the sports front considering it's a government town.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Plenty of Sens players stick around and want to stay in Ottawa but the owner cuts off all people at the knees and makes it impossible. Ottawa does well on the sports front considering it's a government town.
Agreed. Karlsson still has his house here, and there are quite a few others who have settled even though they were traded or left. And not just players - apparently Tom Green even moved back from L.A.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
Agreed. Karlsson still has his house here, and there are quite a few others who have settled even though they were traded or left. And not just players - apparently Tom Green even moved back from L.A.
Yes, Tom Green moved to a big old farm up in Rupert near Wakefield this summer.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 1:48 PM

The Official Ottawa Building Guidelines;
  • 27 stories
  • small windows
  • small unusable balconies
  • no distinctive features
  • black brick
  • beige brick

And Voila! Approved.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
  • 27 stories
  • small windows
  • black brick
  • beige brick

And Voila! Approved.
you forgot:
*presented to council and the public as a flashy glassy building but later swapped out for the perimeters listed above.
*designed by Roderick Lahey Architects or Neuf
*developed by one of four local cheapo uninspired developers

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 2:48 PM

I much prefer a "non-flashy glassy building" for comfort and energy efficiency. I couldn't care less how my building looks like for other people, if that means decreasing what really matters for people that live in it.

It does piss me off though that in Canada, where balconies are unusable for half of the year, constructions don't offer the possibility to close it 100% with glass. So many benefits with this:

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 3:44 PM

Quote:
  • 27 stories
  • small windows
  • black brick
  • beige brick

And Voila! Approved.
Not terribly different from Toronto Building Guidelines

45 stories
Small windows
small unusable balconies-with option for no balconies
no distinctive features
glass that fails in 10-15 years

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daud View Post

45 stories
Small windows
no distinctive features
Not just glass that fails. Glass that rains down in shards on hapless pedestrians on the sidewalk below.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 6:20 PM

Quote:
  • 27 stories
  • small windows
  • black brick
  • beige brick

And Voila! Approved.
Lol. Accurate. Just need to add that beige brick can be swapped for "puke yellow" in certain circumstances and locations if the developer completes a multi-year RFP and consultation process.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daud View Post

45 stories
Small windows
no distinctive features
Toronto's building guidelines are problematic but are you seriously trying to suggest that we're even close to being in the same league as Toronto? We could do a lot worse than to move slightly in Toronto's direction.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passwordisnt123 View Post
Toronto's building guidelines are problematic but are you seriously trying to suggest that we're even close to being in the same league as Toronto? We could do a lot worse than to move slightly in Toronto's direction.
There's some fantastic architecture in Toronto but as a ratio of good buildings vs bad, it isn't that different. They just have critical mass.

Drive up the gardiner from the west and take a good look. the whole downtown commercial skyline has been obscured by really really bad glass buildings that are falling apart. City Place being the prime example.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 8:09 PM

The window-to-wall ratio of buildings is prescribed to be 40% in the energy code (SB-10). If they want to go over that they need to provide energy models which show that the performance of the wall assembly is equivalent. Large windows are huge energy wasters even the highest quality windows. In our climate, anything larger than 60% WWR wouldn't make economic sense.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues