HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted May 25, 2021, 3:01 PM

Five Finalist Designs for the National Monument to Canada’s Mission in Afghanistan.

Five finalist design teams have completed their proposals for the monument.
On 25 May 2021, all Canadians—especially the families of those who died in Afghanistan and current and former CAF members and their families are invited to share their views.
The designs can be viewed at:

http://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-her...nt-afghanistan

Input will provide feedback in selecting the final design for the National Monument to Canada's Mission in Afghanistan. The survey closes 9 June 2021.
The selection jury will consider the information and input contained in the survey responses in their selection of the winning design, which is expected to be announce this fall.

Old Posted May 25, 2021, 4:46 PM

I like Team Daoust and Team PFS Studio the most.

Old Posted May 25, 2021, 4:47 PM

Wow, the Team Daoust proposal is beautiful! I don't like any of the others, especially PFS Studios that just blatantly rips off the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington.

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Goatleaf View Post
Not the greatest survey, the questions don't really allow for any true input. But, it's still a say in choice for the final design, so I completed it. Daoust speaks to me the most, and while the others all lacked something, or didn't quite feel right, they all had elements that I liked.

It'll be interesting to see what others think.

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 8:57 PM
Busy Beaver

The title of this thread should be corrected to say [LeBreton Flats] instead of [Richmond Landing]

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 9:48 PM

I think since this is primarily a space for the families of those who lost loved ones, I think Team Stimson is my preference. As I can actually see those families having a place to grieve.

One day people will visit Ottawa knowing their grandfather or uncle died in this conflict. They probably won't understand why that person they never met died, but they will know they are family.

And I think Team Stimson did a good job of giving them a place to go.

I still think the original location would be a better location.

Some many disagree with my take, but if you asked me to rank reasons for it's existence the preeminent reason is for people who have personal connections with this conflict. The second reason is to ponder the nuances of the 'why' these people died.

When you consider 1st and 2nd degrees of connection, those 165 people become a much larger number. While Team Daoust is my 2nd fav, I don't think it's the most effective at what I feel a memorial is for.

By 2nd degree I mean those that say, my wife's sister's brother. My best friend's sister (I personally never met).

Last edited by Mikeed; May 26, 2021 at 9:58 PM.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 8:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeed View Post
I think since this is primarily a space for the families of those who lost loved ones, I think Team Stimson is my preference. As I can actually see those families having a place to grieve.

One day people will visit Ottawa knowing their grandfather or uncle died in this conflict. They probably won't understand why that person they never met died, but they will know they are family.

And I think Team Stimson did a good job of giving them a place to go.

I still think the original location would be a better location.

Some many disagree with my take, but if you asked me to rank reasons for it's existence the preeminent reason is for people who have personal connections with this conflict. The second reason is to ponder the nuances of the 'why' these people died.

When you consider 1st and 2nd degrees of connection, those 165 people become a much larger number. While Team Daoust is my 2nd fav, I don't think it's the most effective at what I feel a memorial is for.

By 2nd degree I mean those that say, my wife's sister's brother. My best friend's sister (I personally never met).
My preference is the same. The Vietnam memorial knock-off also has the same effect. I like the central visual feature of Stimson and while in some ways basic the overall effect is unique I think.

It’s not just for the families but long term for us all to contemplate.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 12:59 PM

I would also like to share my support for the Stinson proposal. In my opinion, people shouldn't have to read a plaque to understand what a monument is for. I beleive that beautiful sculptures in the classic mould will be better appreciated by future generations than the recent proliferation of soul-dead geometric concrete design exercises that litter our city. We don't need another of those. Aesthetically, the d'Aoust proposal looks nice at least. I don't have anything to say about the others.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 5:21 PM

Daoust is probably the most esthetically pleasing. PFS, even if similar to the Vietnam Memorial, is good in its simplistic design. I like Stinson as well, which provides a lot of space for reflection.

Hapa is just a bunch of monoliths and walls, which competes with the National Holocaust monument and reminds me of the peace keeping monument near the Cathedral. Lashley is quite similar to the Victims of Communism memorial.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 10:53 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Veterans Affairs asks for public feedback on Canada's Afghan war monument
Department is asking Canadians for their opinions on five designs

Murray Brewster · CBC News
Posted: May 27, 2021 4:00 AM ET | Last Updated: 7 hours ago

Almost a decade after Canada's combat operations in Afghanistan ended, Veterans Affairs is asking for public feedback on five design proposals for a national monument to commemorate this country's longest war.

The veterans department has launched an online survey to allow Canadians to evaluate concept art for the memorial, which is expected to be constructed across from the Canadian War Museum in downtown Ottawa.

Almost two years ago, teams of artists, landscape architects, architects and other urban design professionals were invited to provide ideas and samples of their work. A jury of experts settled on five proposals.

The Liberal government conducted consultations with veterans and other interested parties on the elements of the monument. The results of those consultations, published in a report last year, said it should "primarily commemorate and honour the ultimate sacrifice made by those who were killed in Afghanistan."

Many of those who took part also said the sacrifices of family members should be incorporated into the memorial.

Interestingly, the report also noted that the monument needed to be "impressive" in its size and scope and "should not be less than other monuments because that would indicate that this mission was less significant and that the sacrifice was seen as less significant."

The public consultation on the design options will last until June 9 — almost 10 years to the day after the army's last combat operation in Kandahar concluded. Canadian troops, operating in the Panjwaii district, conducted sweeps of contested villages up to June 6, 2011, before turning the sector over to U.S. forces.

The ceremonial end of the five-year combat deployment was marked almost a month later on July 1, 2011.

Four of the five memorial proposals include some form of a wall of remembrance to the 165 Canadian soldiers and civilians who lost their lives.

The groups behind the five designs are Team Daoust, Team Hapa, Team Lashley, Team PFS Studio and Team Stimson.

The fact that there has been no separate national monument to the Afghan war has been a source of controversy and irritation among the roughly 40,000 troops who served and fought there.

A battlefield cenotaph which sat outside of the Canadian headquarters in Kandahar now sits in a purpose-built hall outside of National Defence Headquarters in Ottawa. Public access to it is limited by the security restrictions in place at the complex.

The former Conservative government announced plans in 2015 to build a large, permanent national memorial in downtown Ottawa, but that project became bogged down in disagreements over location.

The matter was resolved a few years ago when The National Capital Commission quietly announced in a news release that a site had been chosen at Lebreton Flats in downtown Ottawa.

The national monument is not expected to be completed until the mid-2020s, at the earliest.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/afg...blic-1.6041524

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 1:52 AM

I prefer Daoust and PFS from a design perspective. I think they'd compliment the Holocaust monument well. But I like that the Stimson design lists the names as others have said.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2023, 6:07 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Indigenous artist's design chosen for Afghan war monument

By The Canadian Press
Posted Jun 19, 2023, 12:57PM EDT. | Last Updated Jun 19, 2023, 1:10PM EDT.

OTTAWA — Veterans of the war in Afghanistan were influential in choosing the final design for a monument that will memorialize Canada’s contributions in the conflict.

Artist Adrian Stimson, a member of Siksika First Nation in Alberta, says the design unveiled today is inspired by the medicine wheel, an important symbol in many Indigenous cultures.

The materials are reminiscent of the bases in Afghanistan that Stimson visited while taking part in the Canadian Forces Artists Program.

The monument is set to be built in the Lebreton Flats area across the street from the Canadian War Museum.

Officials say a jury selected a different design, but a survey that got more than 10,000 responses showed that veterans preferred Stimson’s creation.

A total of 158 Canadian Armed Forces members were killed during the 13-year mission in Afghanistan.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published June 19, 2023.

The Canadian Press

https://ottawa.citynews.ca/2023/06/1...-war-monument/

Old Posted Jun 19, 2023, 6:24 PM

Interesting! it was personally my least favorite.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2023, 7:25 PM
Busy Beaver

We keep on building these semi-secluded spaces that are prone to security issues. For example I find the cameras and emergency communication system at the Holocaust memorial very detrimental to its ambiance.

Personally, I'm beginning to find these "immersive" monuments a bit too demanding. They require a bit of a commitment to visit and are somewhat spoon-fed experiences, whereas older symbolic/sculptural monuments like the main War Memorial can be just appreciated as interesting objects in a public space and are no less effective as reminders of events.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2023, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
We keep on building these semi-secluded spaces that are prone to security issues. For example I find the cameras and emergency communication system at the Holocaust memorial very detrimental to its ambiance.

Personally, I'm beginning to find these "immersive" monuments a bit too demanding. They require a bit of a commitment to visit and are somewhat spoon-fed experiences, whereas older symbolic/sculptural monuments like the main War Memorial can be just appreciated as interesting objects in a public space and are no less effective as reminders of events.
Agreed. And this corner of LeBreton has just become a dumping ground for memorials. As they accumulate, they lose significance. It's a museum of monuments. It's not at all integrated with the rest of the city. One has to get out of their way to visit these.

Also a bit bothered by the size of this thing. Afghanistan was a pointless exercise that cost Billions of dollars and hundreds of (Canadian) lives for nothing. Once we left, the country fell to the Taliban again. Why is this nearly as big as the War Memorial (doesn't it encompass all wars Canada participated in now?) and the Holocausts (millions killed and/or lost their freedoms).

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
All the monument architects want to be the next Vietnam memorial

Old Posted Sep 4, 2023, 8:55 AM

Quand le gouvernement Trudeau écarte les gagnants du podium

IMAGE FOURNIE PAR DAOUST LESTAGE LIZOTTE STECKER

Concept du monument imaginé par l’équipe québécoise gagnante du concours, l’équipe Daoust

Laura-Julie Perreault, La Presse
28 août, 2023

Et ce, sans s’en cacher.

Le 19 juin, moins de deux heures avant que son ministre de l’époque, Lawrence MacAulay, n’annonce publiquement cette décision, Anciens Combattants Canada a avisé l’équipe qui avait remporté le concours, l’équipe Daoust, composée de l’artiste Luca Fortin, de Québec, de la firme d’architecte Daoust Lestage Lizotte Stecker, de Montréal, ainsi que de Louise Arbour*, ex-haut-commissaire des Nations unies aux droits de l’homme, de son choix.

« Malgré le fait que le jury a désigné votre concept comme le concept gagnant du concours, après mûre réflexion, le gouvernement du Canada a décidé de sélectionner le concept élaboré par [une autre équipe] et, par conséquent, d’octroyer le contrat à cette équipe », peut-on lire dans un extrait de la lettre datée du 19 juin que la firme d’architecte a publié sur son site web plus tôt cette semaine.

Vue aérienne du concept imaginé par l’équipe québécoise gagnante du concours, l’équipe Daoust

Le gouvernement, qui a lancé le concours de design en 2019, a retenu la proposition de l’équipe Stimson, composée de l’artiste visuel Adrian Stimson, un vétéran des Forces armées de la Nation siksika de l’Alberta, du Groupe d’architectes paysagistes MBTW, de Toronto, et de Projets LeuWebb, coordonnateurs en art public, aussi de Toronto.

CHRONIQUES
Monument commémoratif de la mission du Canada en Afghanistan Quand le gouvernement Trudeau écarte les gagnants du podium

Concept du monument imaginé par l’équipe québécoise gagnante du concours, l’équipe Daoust

Laura-Julie Perreault
LAURA-JULIE PERREAULT
LA PRESSE
Pour ériger un monument afin de commémorer la mission canadienne en Afghanistan, le gouvernement fédéral a mis sur pied un concours de design et demandé à un jury de choisir le gagnant. Mais voilà, au bout du processus, le même gouvernement a mis de côté ses propres règles, a écarté l’équipe québécoise vainqueure et en a couronné une autre, lui accordant un contrat de plus de 3 millions.

Mis à jour le 28 aoûtPartager
Et ce, sans s’en cacher.

Le 19 juin, moins de deux heures avant que son ministre de l’époque, Lawrence MacAulay, n’annonce publiquement cette décision, Anciens Combattants Canada a avisé l’équipe qui avait remporté le concours, l’équipe Daoust, composée de l’artiste Luca Fortin, de Québec, de la firme d’architecte Daoust Lestage Lizotte Stecker, de Montréal, ainsi que de Louise Arbour*, ex-haut-commissaire des Nations unies aux droits de l’homme, de son choix.

« Malgré le fait que le jury a désigné votre concept comme le concept gagnant du concours, après mûre réflexion, le gouvernement du Canada a décidé de sélectionner le concept élaboré par [une autre équipe] et, par conséquent, d’octroyer le contrat à cette équipe », peut-on lire dans un extrait de la lettre datée du 19 juin que la firme d’architecte a publié sur son site web plus tôt cette semaine.

Vue aérienne du concept imaginé par l’équipe québécoise gagnante du concours, l’équipe Daoust

Le gouvernement, qui a lancé le concours de design en 2019, a retenu la proposition de l’équipe Stimson, composée de l’artiste visuel Adrian Stimson, un vétéran des Forces armées de la Nation siksika de l’Alberta, du Groupe d’architectes paysagistes MBTW, de Toronto, et de Projets LeuWebb, coordonnateurs en art public, aussi de Toronto.

PHOTO SEAN KILPATRICK, ARCHIVES LA PRESSE CANADIENNE

L’artiste visuel Adrian Stimson tenant une image du concept de son équipe

Pourquoi ? « Le concept de design de l’équipe Stimson est celui qui reflète le mieux les commentaires formulés par les vétérans, leur famille et les autres participants à la mission lors du sondage d’opinion publique réalisé sur les cinq concepts de design finalistes », m’a répondu un responsable des relations de presse du ministère des Anciens Combattants par écrit.

IMAGE FOURNIE PAR LE GOUVERNEMENT DU CANADA

Vue aérienne du concept de l’équipe Stimson, choisi par le gouvernement, bien que n’ayant pas remporté le concours

Le sondage mentionné – dont l’équipe Stimson est la grande favorite – a été réalisé en mai et juin 2020. Sur les quelque 10 000 personnes qui y ont participé, plus de 85 % ont pris part à la mission canadienne en Afghanistan entre 2001 et 2014, sont actuellement dans les Forces armées canadiennes ou sont d’anciens combattants.

Le hic, c’est que nulle part dans les règlements du concours il n’est inscrit que le gouvernement a le droit d’écarter la décision du jury pour accorder le contrat à une autre équipe.

Faisaient partie du jury un historien, un diplomate, un directeur de musée d’art, un professeur d’architecture, une architecte paysagiste, un vétéran de la mission en Afghanistan et une représentante des familles des militaires.

Les jurés ont rendu une décision aux ministres du Patrimoine canadien et des Anciens Combattants impliqués dans le dossier en novembre 2021, selon un document que La Presse a obtenu grâce à la Loi sur l’accès à l’information. Leur décision tenait compte de l’avis d’un comité technique, des résultats du sondage et d’une foule d’autres critères.

Le choix final est survenu après le retrait des troupes américaines de l’Afghanistan et le retour au pouvoir des talibans. Donc, en toute connaissance de cause du contexte politique.

Quand j’ai demandé – trois fois plutôt qu’une – au ministère des Anciens Combattants sur quelle modalité du concours le gouvernement s’était appuyé pour détrôner les gagnants, je n’ai pas reçu de réponse à ma question. On m’a plutôt répété que le gouvernement avait « pris cette décision, qui cadre avec les commentaires reçus des vétérans, de leur famille et d’autres personnes ayant participé à la mission ».

Dans les documents obtenus par La Presse, on voit aussi qu’un avis a été demandé au ministère de la Justice dans le cadre de ce processus. Les résultats de cette requête, envoyés à Pablo Rodriguez quand il était ministre du Patrimoine canadien, ont été caviardés.

Est-ce que le gouvernement aurait demandé un tel avis s’il respectait ses propres règles ? Permettez-moi d’en douter.

Vous apprendrez donc sans grande surprise que l’équipe Daoust n’est pas aux anges. « On participe à plusieurs concours comme artistes. C’est impossible de tous les remporter. Quand on perd, ça prend une journée pour passer à autre chose. Mais dans ce cas-ci, quand tu remportes le concours, mais que tu apprends que les règles ont changé en cours de route, c’est impossible de faire son deuil, m’a dit Luca Fortin par visioconférence. Je me sens un peu comme le couple [de patineurs] Jamie Salé et David Pelletier qui savait qu’il avait gagné la médaille d’or, mais a vu quelqu’un d’autre la recevoir. Ce monument, c’est un projet majeur, extrêmement rare. Est-ce que ça va se représenter pour moi ? Je ne le sais pas », se désole l’artiste de 31 ans.

« La décision du gouvernement est irrespectueuse du jury et du processus qu’il avait lui-même établi. C’est un dangereux précédent », estime pour sa part l’architecte urbaniste Renée Daoust. « Si ça se passe comme ça, il y a des gens qui vont refuser de siéger à des jurys pour des concours du gouvernement fédéral. Et il y a des candidats de qualité qui ne voudront plus poser leur candidature lors des concours d’art public », estime-t-elle, espérant que le gouvernement reviendra sur sa décision.

Fondatrice du Centre canadien d’architecture, Phyllis Lambert pense que l’impact du processus vicié va au-delà du milieu des arts publics. « Je suis atterrée. [Cette décision] est antidémocratique. Le gouvernement a établi des règles, mais écrit pour dire qu’il ne les a pas suivies. On ne peut pas gérer un pays comme ça », m’a dit au téléphone Mme Lambert, qui voit là une pente glissante.

Qu’en pense l’équipe à qui le gouvernement a accordé le contrat du monument ? J’ai parlé à l’artiste Adrian Stimson, mais ce dernier a refusé d’être cité dans cette chronique.

Et le jury ? J’ai tenté de joindre plusieurs de ses membres, mais ces derniers – liés par une entente de confidentialité – ne peuvent parler publiquement. On m’a cependant confirmé qu’à l’instar de l’équipe Daoust, ils avaient appris la décision du gouvernement à peine deux heures avant l’annonce officielle. Mis devant un fait accompli.

La façon de procéder du gouvernement Trudeau dans cette affaire est une bien drôle de manière de saluer la mission canadienne en Afghanistan, à laquelle 40 000 personnes en uniforme et des centaines de civils ont pris part en 13 ans. En tout, 165 de nos concitoyens y ont laissé leur vie.

Au nom de quoi ? Des droits de la personne, de la démocratie, de la primauté du droit et de la bonne gouvernance.

*Par souci de transparence, je dois dévoiler que Louise Arbour est mon amie depuis plus de huit ans. Elle n’a pas été impliquée directement dans la réalisation de cette chronique. De plus, l’ancienne juge de la Cour suprême, qui avait un rôle aviseur dans l’équipe Daoust, ne tire pas de bénéfice personnel de cette affaire.

Avec la collaboration de William Leclerc et de Joël-Denis Bellavance, La Presse

https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/c...p?sharing=true

Old Posted Sep 4, 2023, 12:18 PM

Is the idea of a Victoria Cross monument still alive?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2023, 1:11 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Architectural group says government ignored process in awarding Afghanistan monument in Ottawa
"If, as of now, the major public artwork or architectural components of Canada will be selected based on a survey, this is very, very worrisome."

Sarah Ritchie, The Canadian Press
Published Oct 05, 2023 • 3 minute read

An architectural group that was chosen by a jury to build a monument to Canada’s mission in Afghanistan says the government’s decision to award the contract to a different group is outrageous and anti-democratic.

Veterans Affairs Canada announced the approximately $3-million commission in June, awarding it to a team led by Indigenous artist Adrian Stimson.

“This is so anti-democratic,” said Renee Daoust, a spokesperson for Team Daoust, which had placed first in the competition.

“They’re not respecting their own procurement rules that they have set up, and to us that’s really unacceptable,” she said.

The team included the firm Daoust Lestage Lizotte Stecker, artist Luca Fortin and former Supreme Court justice Louise Arbour, who acted as an adviser on the mission in Afghanistan.

Daoust said they learned they won the competition just a couple of hours before Veterans Affairs Canada held a media conference on June 19, and then they were told the government was going to overrule the jury’s choice.

“We said, ‘Well, this is so unfair. Why are you doing this?”‘ she said.

The explanation given to the team and to reporters at the media conference was that veterans who participated in an anonymous online survey preferred the bid by Team Stimson.

Daoust was told she had 10 days to file a formal complaint with the Canadian International Trade Tribunal, which she did. The team also wrote letters to the federal government, but to no avail.

“If, as of now, the major public artwork or architectural components of Canada will be selected based on a survey, this is very, very worrisome. We said, ‘You’re creating a very dangerous precedent,'” Daoust said.

The jury considered the designs of five finalist teams and chose the winner in November 2021. Jurors included the chief executive officer of the Winnipeg Art Gallery, architects, a veteran of the war in Afghanistan, a Silver Cross Mother, Canada’s former ambassador to the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan and the deputy director of the Centre for the Study of War and Society at the University of New Brunswick.

Daoust obtained a memo through an access-to-information request showing that the Department of Veterans Affairs asked the Heritage Department to overturn the jury’s choice.

The Feb. 5 memo, which she shared with The Canadian Press, was sent to then-minister Pablo Rodriguez.

It stated that Team Stimson’s design received the most favourable feedback from the public, followed by Team Daoust’s, and that “determining a ‘Public’s Choice’ or providing a ranking between the proposed designs were not objectives of the survey.”

It noted that the heritage minister “is accountable for the implementation of the policy on national commemorative monuments for federal lands in Canada’s capital region,” and that Veterans Affairs would take the lead on communications with the public once the decision was approved.

“Delays in awarding a design development contract will likely result in cost increases for the overall project,” the memo read.

Rodriguez granted approval on May 11. Large portions of the memo were redacted.

The monument is set to be built in Lebreton Flats across the street from the Canadian War Museum, near the National Holocaust Memorial. It was first promised by former Conservative prime minister Stephen Harper in 2014.

It could take another two or three years to finalize the design and construction, adding to what has already been a years-long process.

The House of Commons veterans affairs committee has called for Heritage Minister Pascale St-Onge and Veterans Affairs Minister Ginette Petitpas Taylor to appear as witnesses to explain the decision.

Spokespeople for Petitpas Taylor and St-Onge both declined interview requests on Thursday.

In an emailed statement, Petitpas Taylor’s office said the department determined the monument should reflect the preferences of survey respondents.

“When it comes to honouring the sacrifices of our veterans, we must listen to them,” spokesperson Mikaela Harrison said.

Stimson was previously a member of the Armed Forces and joined the Canadian Forces Artists Program as a civilian in 2010. He spent time in Afghanistan and said in June that he incorporated that experience into the design.

His design will include the names of the 158 Canadian military members who were killed in the conflict.

The 13-year mission in Afghanistan involved more than 40,000 Canadian Armed Forces members.

An estimated 47,245 Afghan civilians were killed in the conflict between 2001 and 2021, along with 66,000 national police and military members and more than 51,000 Taliban and opposition fighters.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/natio...ment-in-ottawa

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 1:58 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Veterans minister under fire for ignoring winning design of Afghan war memorial
Online survey was 'garbage,' Bloc MP tells veterans committee

Murray Brewster · CBC News
Posted: Oct 31, 2023 10:23 PM EDT | Last Updated: 1 hour ago

An online survey which the Liberal government used as a basis for choosing the design of Canada's national memorial to the Afghan war was not scientific, but the veterans minister says that doesn't mean it should be discounted.

Ginette Petitpas Taylor, recently appointed to the veterans portfolio, and Pascal St-Onge, the heritage minister, spent an hour Tuesday evening defending the decision to award the project design to Team Stimson, even though another group was deemed by an independent jury to have won the competition.

The decision to change course, Petitpas Taylor said, was based on the overwhelming results of the online survey, which was not part of the initial process. St-Onge told the veterans committee that her department provided only support and advice.

Just over 12,000 Canadians responded, including over 3,000 who identified as having served in Afghanistan and another 3,000 who said they were associated with the mission. And they — by a wide margin — chose the design by Adrian Stimson, a member of the Siksika First Nation and a veteran, the minister said.

She described the results as overwhelming and significant.

"Just because it wasn't a scientific survey doesn't mean that it's not valid. We certainly still heard the opinions of 12,000 Canadians," Petitpas Taylor told the four-party committee.

"We owe these veterans a debt we can never fully repay. Therefore, choosing the design that best matches the monument that veterans and people who played a role in the Afghanistan mission want was the least we could do."

The veterans department encouraged veterans to take part by reaching out to them through their benefits account, both senior officials and the minister told the committee.

But Bloc Quebecois MP Luc Desilets described the questionnaire as a "garbage survey" at one point late in the meeting, and was frustrated — as were the Conservatives and the lone New Democrat on the committee — at failing to get a clear answer about why the sampling was introduced when an expert panel had already chosen the design by Team Daoust, led by public artist Luca Fortin.

The decision by the review panel was not announced by Veterans Affairs Canada when the process ended over two years ago. Inexplicably, the department — in 2021 — launched public consultations to gain feedback on the proposals.

When the decision to go with Team Stimson was announced in June, the government acknowledged to Team Daoust that it had been selected by the panel and offered compensation.

"Sadly, this does seem very confusing, and I've heard again and again that this was a political decision," said Rachel Blaney, the NDP's veterans critic.

After being informed of the government's decision, Team Daoust filed a formal complaint with the Canadian International Trade Tribunal.

It has been almost a decade since the former Conservative government announced it intended to build a memorial for those who served in Afghanistan and the current debate comes in the shadow of the annual Remembrance Day ceremonies.

Veterans were not happy with the proposed location of the monument and when the Liberals came to power they moved it to a patch of land across from the Canadian War Museum in downtown Ottawa.

The committee was told construction has yet to begin but the plan is to unveil the memorial in 2027.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/afg...rial-1.7014669

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues