HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 2:02 AM
I Like Turtles!

Popeye's on the Poop Deck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Originally quoted by HossC, I was in the same area looking for possible locations for the Café Lafayette (shown below).

[IMG][/IMG]eBay
__
HossC, for jiminy's sake, how can you post this pic without giving us even a clue about why there is a sailing ship in the chandelier? Any ideas about it's significance?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 3:00 AM

It's probably a model of Lafayette's ship, the La Victoire.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 3, 2014 at 3:15 AM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 3:17 AM

Or it could be General Lafayette's slightly later frigate, Hermione.

e17.fr

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albany NY View Post
HossC, for jiminy's sake, how can you post this pic without giving us even a clue about why there is a sailing ship in the chandelier? Any ideas about it's significance?
This may be a bit of a stretch, but it might just be intended to be a replica of the Frigate L’Hermione which was purchased by the Marquis de Lafayette to sail from France to North America in support of our Revolutionary War with England. There could well be some connection of the Cafe's owner to Lafayette.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 3:21 AM

I have to admit, it's looks more like the Hermione than the earlier La Victoire.
__
Here's the La Victoire.

-good sleuthing HossC and Retired_In_Texas.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 3, 2014 at 3:35 AM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 3:38 AM

"The Bowing Highway Chef." -say what?

eBay

Ben Hansen's Brentwood Inn

reverse

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 3, 2014 at 4:08 AM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

Or it could be General Lafayette's slightly later frigate, Hermione.

e17.fr
The Hermione was the vessel the Marquis de Lafayette purchased to transport troops from France to North America. He was not yet a "General."

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 4:02 AM

Here's a trio you'd never expect to see together.

Ida Lupino, Ann B. Davis and Vivian Vance.

eBay

What occasion I wonder. -the golden globes? -a night out at Ciro's?

__

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstuff View Post
DD 173 was the USS Sproston ( the first of that name) She was also a Wickes Class destroyer. Her keel was laid in 1918 in Union Iron Works in San Francisco. She was powered by steam and was struck from the Navy lists in 1936 and sunk as a target in 1937.

It is interesting to see so many destroyers moored close together in what is now the main channel of the Los Angeles Harbor. I count approximately 20 four pipers in this picture which would have been somewhat less than a quarter of the entire 111 ship Wickes Class.

The picture also shows Dead Man's Island off Reservation Point in the background to the left of the elevators. Warehouse #1 appears on the left of that, on the opposite side of the channel. It was completed in 1917 which would help verify the date of the photo. The warehouse is still in use, although not for freight as it was intended in the era of containerized freight, but as a quarantine area for animals coming in from overseas and as a prime movie/tv location since it has lots of character with the train tracks entering the building.

Thanks HossC for finding the bigger picture
I wonder if any of the ships in this picture were victims of the Honda Point disaster four years later (1923). Those were four-stackers as well but may have been from a later class.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_in_Texas View Post

The Hermione was the vessel the Marquis de Lafayette purchased to transport troops from France to North America. He was not yet a "General."
Several of the sources I checked (including history.org, britannica.com and notablebiographies.com) said that the Marquis de Lafayette was commissioned as a major general in 1777. The Hermione voyage was in 1780. When he returned to France in 1782, Lafayette was promoted to the rank of maréchal de camp (brigadier general).

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstimc View Post
I wonder if any of the ships in this picture were victims of the Honda Point disaster four years later (1923). Those were four-stackers as well but may have been from a later class.
According to Wikipedia, which lists all the ships involved, all were Clemson Class destroyers, a later class, as you surmised, from the Wickes Class. Clemson Class were a redesign with a greater fuel capacity and it was the last class of "flush deck" destroyers to be built. There were fourteen Clemson Class destroyers involved at Honda Point.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 3:31 PM

The Woman's Christian Temperance Union State Headquarters, 551 South Kingsley Drive, Los Angeles 5, California*

eBay

still there!

GSV

*oops! I just discovered we've seen this before and after on NLA in the past. -my bad.
__

-Here's the Woman's Christian Temperance Union downtown at Temple and Broadway. (I've always loved this photograph)

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=3168

To see this same building before the upper floors were chopped off go here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=725
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 3, 2014 at 10:00 PM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 3:36 PM

Sear's Cafeteria, 9th and Boyle.

eBay

It says..."Open to the Public" 7A.M. to 2P.M. (so it must have been primarily an employees cafeteria?)

__

As a reminder, here's the Sear's we're talking about. (often seen on NLA)

http://waterandpower.org/museum/Earl...1925%20+).html

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 3, 2014 at 10:01 PM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 3:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The Woman's Christian Temperance Union State Headquarters, 551 South Kingsley Drive, Los Angeles 5, California

eBay
Here's a companion view of the WTU. It looks like most of the surrounding homes have disappeared.

GSV

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 4:11 PM

the home to it's left is very nice.

From eBay, a series of photographs of "LAX 1945-50."

below: I believe this one was taken on the roof of the Post Office Terminal Annex downtown.

Here it is LARGER, in order to see that industrial building in the distance on the right. (anyone know what it is?) -a brewery maybe?

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 3, 2014 at 5:05 PM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 4:44 PM

Quote:

So the Café Lafayette and the Café De Paree were in the same building (at the same time?)

Paul Perrot's sounds familiar, maybe I'll find something in some old files I have stashed away.
The references I found for the Cafe Lafayette were dated 1925 and 1927. All of the Café De Paree clippings below are from 1936.

The first is from a book called 'Filipinos in Los Angeles' by Mae Respicio Koerner. It shows a large dining room during the Fourth Inaugural Banquet and Ball of the Philippine Junior Assembly.

books.google.com

The top of the page was missing from the PDF file where I found this article, but the URL suggests it's from a 1936 edition of the California Eagle. The Café De Paree apparently played host to 3,000 rowdy Union Pacific dining car employees. I like the line about the flowers on the tables making it resemble "a Chicago gangster's funeral".

www.fultonhistory.com (PDF file)

This November 1936 edition of Automatic Age describes "a truly excellent dinner" at the Café De Paree which took place in September of that year. The occasion was the Coast Coin Machine Show and Frolic. The cafe only had to deal with 1,500 diners that night!

aa.arcade-museum.com (PDF file)

As for Paul Perrot, an article on forgetthetalkies.com names him as one of the first owners of the Hollywood restaurant Café Nikabob in 1928. The other owners were Nick Krause and Bob Cobb (of Brown Derby Restaurant fame) after whom the restaurant was named. The article also links Paul Perrot's name to the Montmartre and the Ambassador Hotel. See post #3759 for a picture of the Nikabob.

USC has an April, 1930 edition of the Southern California Daily Trojan which mentions "Bob" Brown and His Southlanders playing at Paul Perrot's cafe. Just to confuse things, this article appeared in the same publication a few months earlier in January, 1930. It describes Ray West (a headline act from the Cafe Lafayette adverts I found) as being the "proprietor of his new Ray West cafe ... formerly Paul Perrot's cafe".

USC Digital Library

I wonder if these 1940s establishments in San Luis Obispo were owned by the same Paul Perrot?

eBay

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 4:52 PM

Excellent information HossC. -thanks for answering my question.
__

I found the following two photographs on a site called RED TIDE COMING/ http://www.memoriastoica.tumblr.com/...ngeles+history
They're both dated 1958.

"Looking north on Hill Street from 7th St". (I like the Bullock's August Clearance banners....very silky looking )

http://www.memoriastoica.tumblr.com/...ngeles+history

"Looking west on 7th from Olive."

http://www.memoriastoica.tumblr.com/...ngeles+history

The people standing in the street waiting for a street-car are getting hit with some nasty exhaust fumes.
That's the Statler Hilton at the end of the street (recently demolished for the 1,100 ft. Wilshire Grand Tower).

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 3, 2014 at 10:02 PM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 7:23 PM

I don't believe I've heard of this John's Café before.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7...y_of_Hollywood

"John's Café in Wilcox Hall at Hollywood and Cahuenga Boulevards, was Hollywood's
first celebrity restaurant. 1917"

from-
'The Story of Hollywood'
by Gregory Paul Williams
__

Wilcox Hall? -have we discussed this building on NLA

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 3, 2014 at 7:51 PM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 8:49 PM

When I saw this photograph on eBay earlier today, my first thought was to see if the house was still there so that I could do a "then and now". Despite a good bit of Googling, I haven't found an address yet. I did, however, find some of the story behind the caption. In October 1932, three-year-old Nancy Irene Buchanan was kidnapped by 20-year-old Ruth Borman, the girl's real mother. The house is described in one of the articles below as "the palatial home of her foster-mother". Mrs Violet Buchanan had been Nancy's foster-mother since hours after her birth, and was her legal guardian.

eBay

Ruth Borman took Nancy from her nursery, and with the help of her friend, M E Warner, drove her to this shack near Newhall.

eBay

This article from the October 27, 1932 edition of the Sandusky Star Journal contains a lot of background to the case. For some reason the sub-headline incorrectly gives Mrs Buchanan's name as Virginia.

newspaperarchive.com

Another article from the same day - this one is from the San Jose News.

news.google.com

"Distraught unmarried mother, Ruth Borman," was arrested on a charge of kidnapping. This article appeared in the October 28, 1932 edition of The Palm Beach Post.

news.google.com

Here's a picture of three-year-old Nancy Irene Buchanan from the October 29, 1932 edition of the Geneva Daily Times.

fultonhistory.com

A week later, and Ruth Borman is released from county jail on a habeas corpus writ. Her accomplice, M E Warner, was also released. As reported in the November 5, 1932 edition of the Berkeley Daily Gazette.

news.google.com

Can anyone track down the address of Violet Buchanan's house, or find out what became of any of the people involved?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
I wonder if these 1940s establishments in San Luis Obispo were owned by the same Paul Perrot?

eBay
I had to look up the word "Buvette" !

bu·vette (noun)

taproom, bar, tavern
a small cafe

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos