HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 1:41 AM

Finished watching the rest of the show just now. Very Austin, very UT. Funny A&M joke. Seemed like a lot of bother to pretty much shoot just one episode of the Tonight Show at the Bass. I'm thinking they just wanted a vacation from NY for a few days. Should have been a longer show so they could have shown more about what they did the week they were here. I did enjoy Matthew's speech when answering the question why he lives here when he could live anyway. The guy's pretty cool in my book. I really can't remember seeing a city Austin's size getting all the attention from a show like TTS, outside of Jimmy Kimmel during SXSW, which was actually more fun to watch.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 2:36 PM

I have been in commercial real estate for a few years now. I have not heard this conversation being had. I am hearing this conversation from urban planners and people in energy industry. I changed my opinion a year or two ago that these glass monoliths are an environmental disaster and will huge eyesores in 50 years.

Discuss

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/stop...ss-skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 6:08 PM

Just signed an agreement to build another home in Zilker to move my family into. This will be the 3rd one we've built in Zilker and one in Rosedale.

Pretty pumped.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
Just signed an agreement to build another home in Zilker to move my family into. This will be the 3rd one we've built in Zilker and one in Rosedale.

Pretty pumped.
Nice Christmas gift! Congrats!!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 7:42 PM

Quote:

Pretty pumped.
Are you a home builder by career, or just doing it as an investment? Just curious because I’m in the same trade with buying lots/redeveloping, etc.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvATX View Post
Are you a home builder by career, or just doing it as an investment? Just curious because I’m in the same trade with buying lots/redeveloping, etc.
Yeah. I bird dog properties for builders, among other things. I not a builder, I hire one to build for me.

I live in the ones I build for a couple 3 years. No IRS taxes (zero) on gains up to $500k if owner occupied for at 2 years, so it’s been an amazing way to build a tax free retirement account while living in fancy houses I couldn’t afford otherwise.

When the kids graduate in 15 years, we will downsize to a condo downtown.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 4:28 PM

Quote:
What do like to buy/build?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 7:29 PM

Quote:
What do like to buy/build?
I work full time, but also buy vacant lots usually and build a single family home on them. I know some investors that help with the building costs. I think it’s better than going through a bank in the end.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 7:43 PM

Quote:
I work full time, but also buy vacant lots usually and build a single family home on them. I know some investors that help with the building costs. I think it’s better than going through a bank in the end.
Where do you like to build? What part of town? I think Zilker is far and away the best return on money.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Where do you like to build? What part of town? I think Zilker is far and away the best return on money.
I have been building in Alaska currrently. Last I built in Texas was in Bastrop. I wish I could afford/know more people in Austin to bring my building there. I’m still kind of new to the whole trade and everything I’ve done it’s on spec, buts it’s worked out well since.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 1:16 AM

My fellow forummers, with the Christmas Holidays almost upon us, it gives me pause to reflect on how much Austin has grown as I approach my 10th Christmas while a member of this fine forum. It's been 10 years of entertainment and being able to share this odd fetish for tall buildings with you, even met and hopefully befriended a few, Jdawboy and Kevin. But as Austin grows, so does the family and friends who will be spending the Holidays with me, family from NY and friends from Texas. With the extra people coming, some of whom I just now found out about, I am reminded of the true meaning of Christmas and I wanted to share with you all a small verse of a very old song that reminds me of the true meaning of Christmas, especially now that more people have decided to join us, the last phrase of this hymn still brings tears to my eyes...."Hark the Harold Angels sing, time to go out, and buy more things"...sniff, sniff.......

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 4:33 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

For all the builders, I hope you use native grass/plants and trees for landscaping as opposed to rock yards. This is becoming a problem for a couple of reasons not least that it does not help with the environment or water conservation but does a lot to wipe out urban habitat for birds and insects such as fireflies which need plant cover to survive. Plus when rain falls there is nothing to slow or to let it sink into the ground and when grass grows which it obviously will regardless, I've personally have seen poison sprayed across these rock yards which is just horrendous. Austin is not El Paso. Native landscaping once established requires little to no watering and little maintenance and is so much healthier for our local environment, natural looking and much more beautiful.
No wasted rainwater runoff except when the ground is saturated and the soil moisture stays much longer. I'm glad that the National Wildflower Center is addressing this problem but more needs to be done to stop what I and many others see as an epidemic. I honestly feel that 98% of local house builders are not doing this but rather builders coming in from areas such as Arizona and California.

By the way I am going to be potting natives this spring so if anyone is interested in getting some, send me a PM and I'll let you know which species I have.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 4:37 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
My fellow forummers, with the Christmas Holidays almost upon us, it gives me pause to reflect on how much Austin has grown as I approach my 10th Christmas while a member of this fine forum. It's been 10 years of entertainment and being able to share this odd fetish for tall buildings with you, even met and hopefully befriended a few, Jdawboy and Kevin. But as Austin grows, so does the family and friends who will be spending the Holidays with me, family from NY and friends from Texas. With the extra people coming, some of whom I just now found out about, I am reminded of the true meaning of Christmas and I wanted to share with you all a small verse of a very old song that reminds me of the true meaning of Christmas, especially now that more people have decided to join us, the last phrase of this hymn still brings tears to my eyes...."Hark the Harold Angels sing, time to go out, and buy more things"...sniff, sniff.......
I'm honored to be your friend and I hope you will be enjoying the city with us for many more Christmases to come. Looking forward to the next time we go on a tour of the city.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 5:36 AM
Meh

Quote:
Yep, yep, yep. I definitely think of people on the forum, especially those who I've met, as friends. Until I found this website, I always felt like such a nerd with a weird interest/hobby. I couldn't believe my luck and surprise when I found out others had the same interest.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2019, 1:47 AM

Lest we forget... and / or you have nothing else to do...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIWjkoBU4FA

https://youtu.be/SRTw2HYostk

A little history lesson...
https://youtu.be/0StnPA22HTE

https://youtu.be/-TuDxOESylI

Last edited by the Genral; Dec 22, 2019 at 2:32 AM.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2019, 2:10 AM
Meh

Quote:
Lest we forget... and / or you have nothing else to do...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIWjkoBU4FA

https://youtu.be/SRTw2HYostk

A little history lesson...
https://youtu.be/0StnPA22HTE
I'm glad that drone over One Congress Plaza was just a drone. I'm actually glad I wouldn't have to be a passenger.

NSFW language LOL.

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 31, 2019, 7:06 PM

After looking at the TC Courthouse thread, I was reminded of a question I was always meaning to ask. With all the height restrictions in and around the campus area resulting in a slew of bulky structures, how did the Dobie Tower manage to get green lighted?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2019, 7:25 PM

Quote:
After looking at the TC Courthouse thread, I was reminded of a question I was always meaning to ask. With all the height restrictions in and around the campus area resulting in a slew of bulky structures, how did the Dobie Tower manage to get green lighted?
It's on campus I believe, and the State/University can do what it wants to do just as it did with the UT Tower. Plus it was a long time ago. It's more surprising that Westgate tower got built by the Capitol. But I believe CVC laws were enacted because it got built.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 3:21 AM

I think one of the coolest tourist attractions in Austin was the HOPE Gallery on Baylor St.
I've always saw it as a very unique and fun place to be. It was a photo op for out of towners just like other iconic murals around town that are sought out as a must do when in town. Baylor St, though not necessarily in the thick of downtown, is close enough for visitors to short ride or hike to from their hotel. It was an alternative to the usual things to do and worth the effort to see it in person. So when I was reminded in the AAS today that it is being relocated to Dalton Ln. near the airport, I just couldn't think of a more stupid place to put it, and I have no intention to ever going there, and I doubt visitors will make the trek out there either. I know that the HOPE Gallery on Baylor St. was on private land and is set to be developed into something else, the transition from terraces built up from stone walls that acted as convases which probably started as a daring act of vandalistic graffiti turned accepted art tourist attraction, to a sterile, purpose built graffiti farm in an area that's far from the coolness of downtown and out of reach to many who visit Austin and mainly stay within walking distance around downtown is just insulting to the original purists. The folks heading up this relocation had a different location in mind but chose against it because there was no parking. I don't recall much parking at the original site. They say many of the artists miss the community that happened there. There being the key word, with the castle in the background. I'm sad that the HOPE Gallery on Baylor St is no more. It pisses me off that for the sake of progress, we lose again. It was raw, ever changing, and a very cool and interesting place to kill a few hours and watch people get a kick out of the whole scene. I can't think of a good analogy for how far from the original this new location will be. At 17.5 acres, a chunk of which will be for parking, there will be more room for more art, but I can't get passed the purpose built part. Maybe newcomers and tourists will find the time and means to travel all the way out there to visit this yet to be fiasco, but I won't be one of them. There's no way it will ever be as iconic as the original, and I'm kind of pissed off they are even trying to copy HOPE Gallery so far from where and what the whole concept was all about. I wonder if there will be a souvenir shop, and a snack shack that sells $8 hotdogs. I'd rather they rename it 'Graffiti Land' add a dog and pony show and call it a day. Everyone has a breaking point, I guess this is sort of mine. Thank you and good night Austin, wherever you were...
fwiw, I realize the people behind relocating HOPE mean well.

Last edited by the Genral; Jan 7, 2020 at 4:51 AM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 3:27 PM

Quote:
I think one of the coolest tourist attractions in Austin was the HOPE Gallery on Baylor St.
I've always saw it as a very unique and fun place to be. It was a photo op for out of towners just like other iconic murals around town that are sought out as a must do when in town. Baylor St, though not necessarily in the thick of downtown, is close enough for visitors to short ride or hike to from their hotel. It was an alternative to the usual things to do and worth the effort to see it in person. So when I was reminded in the AAS today that it is being relocated to Dalton Ln. near the airport, I just couldn't think of a more stupid place to put it, and I have no intention to ever going there, and I doubt visitors will make the trek out there either. I know that the HOPE Gallery on Baylor St. was on private land and is set to be developed into something else, the transition from terraces built up from stone walls that acted as convases which probably started as a daring act of vandalistic graffiti turned accepted art tourist attraction, to a sterile, purpose built graffiti farm in an area that's far from the coolness of downtown and out of reach to many who visit Austin and mainly stay within walking distance around downtown is just insulting to the original purists. The folks heading up this relocation had a different location in mind but chose against it because there was no parking. I don't recall much parking at the original site. They say many of the artists miss the community that happened there. There being the key word, with the castle in the background. I'm sad that the HOPE Gallery on Baylor St is no more. It pisses me off that for the sake of progress, we lose again. It was raw, ever changing, and a very cool and interesting place to kill a few hours and watch people get a kick out of the whole scene. I can't think of a good analogy for how far from the original this new location will be. At 17.5 acres, a chunk of which will be for parking, there will be more room for more art, but I can't get passed the purpose built part. Maybe newcomers and tourists will find the time and means to travel all the way out there to visit this yet to be fiasco, but I won't be one of them. There's no way it will ever be as iconic as the original, and I'm kind of pissed off they are even trying to copy HOPE Gallery so far from where and what the whole concept was all about. I wonder if there will be a souvenir shop, and a snack shack that sells $8 hotdogs. I'd rather they rename it 'Graffiti Land' add a dog and pony show and call it a day. Everyone has a breaking point, I guess this is sort of mine. Thank you and good night Austin, wherever you were...
fwiw, I realize the people behind relocating HOPE mean well.
Would it really be so hard to get some philanthropist to pay to put up some concrete walls in a downtown park? We could have our own version of the Venice Beach walls at Zilker somewhere. Or next to the skate park near House Park would be ok (close to the old gallery area except with tons of parking, btw).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin