HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 10, 2019, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
This will have concerts like the erwin center right? Since it’s being replaced with this??
Yes and stuff like WWE.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2019, 10:59 PM

Is the Oak View group still involved? Sure sounds like a more traditional UT construction project, not a $300M privately built arena that UT can use.

Also note the opening date got pushed back from 2021 to 2022.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2019, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx-adam View Post
Is the Oak View group still involved? Sure sounds like a more traditional UT construction project, not a $300M privately built arena that UT can use.

Also note the opening date got pushed back from 2021 to 2022.
Yes. UT will get 60 days per year for Men's and Women's basketball, graduations and such. OVG will get to keep all moneys from concessions for the first 10 years then UT will get a percentage after that. OVG will control use of the arena outside of UT's 60 days.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 12:09 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
Yes and stuff like WWE.
Hopefully AEW as well. I love AEW. Also New Japan Pro will be coming here.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Yes. UT will get 60 days per year for Men's and Women's basketball, graduations and such. OVG will get to keep all moneys from concessions for the first 10 years then UT will get a percentage after that. OVG will control use of the arena outside of UT's 60 days.
Those terms might change if UT puts some of the moody money toward the arena.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 1:24 AM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Hopefully AEW as well. I love AEW. Also New Japan Pro will be coming here.
I'm driving to corpus and Garland. No idea why they wouldn't hit up the 5 larger metros proper.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 6:46 PM

d

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 25, 2020 at 7:11 PM.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 7:44 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
I'm driving to corpus and Garland. No idea why they wouldn't hit up the 5 larger metros proper.
My thinking is there's some sort of agreement with the arenas and WWE, however that will likely not last very long. We know that New Japan will be bringing televised shows here, and the other big Texas cities. I would assume that means to the Erwin Center. The popularity of AEW will also push arenas to start working with them. I could care less about WWE, I don't follow or watch their shows.

(this coming from an old WCW fanboy lol)

Last edited by Jdawgboy; Nov 11, 2019 at 8:02 PM.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 9:07 PM

Quote:
My thinking is there's some sort of agreement with the arenas and WWE, however that will likely not last very long. We know that New Japan will be bringing televised shows here, and the other big Texas cities. I would assume that means to the Erwin Center. The popularity of AEW will also push arenas to start working with them. I could care less about WWE, I don't follow or watch their shows.

(this coming from an old WCW fanboy lol)
WCW was only good during the Sting-Hogan feud year then they completely botched the match and didn't know what to do with Sting afterward once he won the rematch. Having him drop the belt to Macho at Spring Stampede only so Macho could drop it to Hogan the next night was super lame.
I was already going back and forth between wcw and wwf between wrestle mania and spring stampede but I became majority wwf after hogan took back the belt.

If you weren't watching WWF in 1998 then you missed the best ever year in wrestling history.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 9:13 PM

Dude. What happened to this thread?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 4:22 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
Dude. What happened to this thread?
lol sorry getting a tiny bit off topic.

And to respond to freeover, I did follow what was going on with WWF at the time, but I was not one of those that went back and forth between the two, other than hanging out with friends that did. I was more invested with the wrestlers in WCW. Sting was and to an extent still my favorite wrestler. Honestly once WCW went downhill and eventually got bought by WWF/WWE, I stopped following wrestling for the most part, until AEW and now I'm all about AEW!:

Getting back on topic with regards to the arena. I still think it's a mistake to decrease the capacity compared to what the Erwin Center can hold now. Having said that, if the design of the arena makes the experience of attending games and other events (AEW), then I might be able to overlook it.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 4:22 PM

I really like how low profile this is. The building itself is almost 40 feet shorter than the Erwin Center.

Quote:
I still think it's a mistake to decrease the capacity compared to what the Erwin Center can hold now. Having said that, if the design of the arena makes the experience of attending games and other events (AEW), then I might be able to overlook it.
I don't see how it would be a mistake for UT. It's not as great for the city but it's hard to complain when we aren't paying for it.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
I really like how low profile this is. The building itself is almost 40 feet shorter than the Erwin Center.

I don't see how it would be a mistake for UT. It's not as great for the city but it's hard to complain when we aren't paying for it.
Agreed. Unless we became a really top-tier basketball program like Kentucky, Duke, or Kansas, it's unlikely we'd ever consistently be filling the Erwin center. The game-time experience is much better in a smaller stadium that's completely sold out than it is in a big stadium that's at 50% capacity. Compare the Erwin center with Cameron Indoor (Duke's stadium). The Erwin Center seats about 6000 more people during basketball games -- and yet Cameron Indoor is always said to be one of the best atmospheres, since it's always sold out.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 4:38 PM

As a Longhorn, I am pumped to have an intimate arena for games. And I really don't care what the city needs in this case. If there is synergy, great....but UT should build what it needs, not what the city needs. I was never a fan of the Erwin Center as a music venue, and as a basketball arena it was even worse.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 5:32 PM

If we are talking about venues not accociated with basketball, I think the folks paying for this thing have the numbers worked out. For example, Madison Square Garden has a total seating capacity of only about 20K yet NYC has 10 times our population. The 5K less seating capacity for Austin seems reasonable. For the big sellout shows, you can just add a date or two when possible. I think UT basketball will do much better with a condensed capacity, better look for TV and quicker sellouts being that with less seats for sale, it can create a sense of urgency especially for the big games. I hope the unused seating areas are disquised so not to look too obvious. I too like the low profile thanks to going underground with a good protion of the arena. Seeing how UT will only have access for 60 days per year, OVG and the COA will have a revenue making machine once this Arena is operational. For the COA, mostly from taxing visitors and locals staying, eating, and partying before and after the shows.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 6:40 PM

[

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 25, 2020 at 7:11 PM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 6:45 PM

So is 15K the concert attendance figure for sure? And around 10K for hoops??

While erwin holds 18K it is not optimized for concerts being round.... it may only hold around 15K anyway right now for shows.

Very curious to know actual net differences....

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXboom View Post
So is 15K the concert attendance figure for sure? And around 10K for hoops??

While erwin holds 18K it is not optimized for concerts being round.... it may only hold around 15K anyway right now for shows.

Very curious to know actual net differences....
10K expandable to 15K is correct as reported by UT NEWS and other sources. I expect much of the expanded capacity to be floor seating. And from all the different renderings I've seen, this is going to be a world class, beautiful arena. No wonder Moody wanted his name on it.
Oh, and the Erwin Center can seat 16.5K for basketball, and 17.9K for concerts. Which made me think of something else. On a much, much smaller scale, when I had my Rock Band, 'Capital Punishment', I would much rather play in front of a sellout of 400, then play to a half empty 800 capacity venue. Call it semantics. Call it egocentric, most artists have this condition, but playing to a sellout sounds, looks and feels a lot better, so I don't think 15K should affect the quality of entertainment we could see there. Of course, a lot depends on the logistics of the artist's touring schedule, their relevancy, and how well they are promoted. Again, if you were lucky enough to snag the current #1 touring performer, Post Malone, (never heard of him) you might be able to snag him with 2 sellout dates, or maybe even three. That's how you could make a 15K capacity arena venue work.

Last edited by the Genral; Nov 13, 2019 at 8:16 PM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
10K expandable to 15K is correct as reported by UT NEWS and other sources. I expect much of the expanded capacity to be floor seating. And from all the different renderings I've seen, this is going to be a world class, beautiful arena. No wonder Moody wanted his name on it.
Oh, and the Erwin Center can seat 16.5K for basketball, and 17.9K for concerts. Which made me think of something else. On a much, much smaller scale, when I had my Rock Band, 'Capital Punishment', I would much rather play in front of a sellout of 400, then play to a half empty 800 capacity venue. Call it semantics. Call it egocentric, most artists have this condition, but playing to a sellout sounds, looks and feels a lot better, so I don't think 15K should affect the quality of entertainment we could see there. Of course, a lot depends on the logistics of the artist's touring schedule, their relevancy, and how well they are promoted. Again, if you were lucky enough to snag the current #1 touring performer, Post Malone, (never heard of him) you might be able to snag him with 2 sellout dates, or maybe even three. That's how you could make a 15K capacity arena venue work.
Where did you hear that Post Malone is the #1 touring performer haha, just curious. I predict he might even headline ACL next year tbh

Also I totally agree, I think a 15k capacity for concerts vs. 17.9k isn't THAT big of a difference and I'm sure artists would love to perform in front of a sellout crowd instead of a half empty venue like you mentioned. With that, if an artist is really THAT big and it sells out then the resale prices might be pretty high

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
Where did you hear that Post Malone is the #1 touring performer haha. Just curious

I predict he might even headline ACL next year tbh
Hmmm, I hear ya. I think I read that he is on the top of some kind of list, top on the charts or something like that. I needed a popular artist to illustrate my point so I just went to my constant companion, Google. Anyway he is now #1 on my list of "Who the hell are they anyway?" And #2 on my "Never heard of him" list, formerly #1 before I just heard of him today...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin