HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 5:50 PM

^^ This has to be more than just removing the old span at 59 and 101. Roblin at the Perimeter has removed two old spans (eastbound and westbound) without a single closure. The whole Roblin project has been rather quiet too in comparison to work on the Perimeter.

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 7:07 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^Just an opinion here but I think it might have to do with the construction of the 59/101 bridge structure. If you look at the Google Streetview of the Roblin bridge it is a typical pier structure holding the bridge deck. The 59/101 structure seems completely different than other bridges I have seen in that there are no visible piers, only 6 columns directly holding up the deck. There may be lateral supports within the deck (obviously) but it appears that you wouldn't be able to just dismantle the NB lanes first then the SB after without it crumbling.

.....again, just my observations.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 7:34 PM

Now that you mention it. The 59N bridge is similar to the Jubilee Overpass. They're some kind of pre/post tensioned jobbies. Where as Roblin is box girders simply supported on the piers.

Any sort of dismantling for Robin would've been done with lane closures. Like at McPhillips right now. You get funneled down to one lane each way. Swap it to the other lanes to do the other side.

At 59/101, the bridge is spanning all the lanes and likely has some tensioned cables running through the entire length. From what I can tell anyways. I'm not a bridge engineer.

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 8:59 PM

^^^ The Roblin removals definitely involve lane swaps. Interesting to know 59N is a different construction style. Obviously I am not involved with bridge construction and don't know those details.

Old Posted May 14, 2016, 4:19 PM

Just drove by there about 30 minutes ago and there are 8 tracked jackhammers / sheer cutters working on the site. You can see a cloud of dust in the distance as you drive north towards it.

Old Posted May 14, 2016, 4:24 PM

Cool. My engineering instincts would love to see how they took that guy down.

Old Posted May 14, 2016, 4:49 PM

I was surprised to see the number of units at work. I was expecting to see maybe two or three but not 8 different ones working. I saw a few loaders and dump trucks but not sure if they were for the concrete or were there for the other civil work in the area.

It looks like they are expecting to work at night as they had portable flood light trailers set up too.

Old Posted May 14, 2016, 5:13 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

so they are taking the old fly over out afterall

Old Posted May 14, 2016, 6:35 PM

Probably by early Monday monring most of the concrete from the overpass will be sitting in Rakowski's yard on Redonda waiting to be crushed to gravel

Old Posted May 14, 2016, 10:43 PM
What could go wrong?

From earlier this afternoon. I was by just a few minutes ago (5:00 pm) and it was pretty mush rubble except for one panel.

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 15, 2016, 2:58 PM

Thanks for the photos. You can see the reinforcing cables drapped out the end in the left.

Old Posted May 15, 2016, 10:51 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Probably by early Monday monring most of the concrete from the overpass will be sitting in Rakowski's yard on Redonda waiting to be crushed to gravel
depends theres a couple yards where it gets processed in the city. some specialize in dealing with the stuff full of rebar like rekowskis yard...
ive worked on that crusher few times and i beleave part of the old pronvchea bridge was recyled into part of it if im not mistaken.

Old Posted May 15, 2016, 11:38 PM

Most of the equipment I saw doing the work was from Rakowski Demolition so I figured they are the sub contractor for the demo.

I don't think they would take the rubble to the Rocky Road crusher in Elmwood or the Maple Leaf Construction crushing plant off Sturgeon Rd.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 3:10 PM

Kinda sad to see it go. As a local resident, I probably travelled under, and occasionally on, that span thousands of times over the past 45 years. I remember rigs jack knifing on the tight loop (and ESP FD responding) before it was closed and taking the wide loop at higher than the posted speed limit. Oh, and going with my Dad to get sand at the weigh station before it closed. Life was simpler then!

Old Posted May 21, 2016, 2:10 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWG-RO View Post
Kinda sad to see it go. As a local resident, I probably travelled under, and occasionally on, that span thousands of times over the past 45 years. I remember rigs jack knifing on the tight loop (and ESP FD responding) before it was closed and taking the wide loop at higher than the posted speed limit. Oh, and going with my Dad to get sand at the weigh station before it closed. Life was simpler then!
LOL! My uncle landscaped his whole yard with stuff he took from that weigh station!

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 3:04 PM

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 3:27 PM

Yeah, it's quite a different feel through there now. Will be something else when the interchange is completed!

Old Posted Jul 8, 2016, 12:54 PM
What could go wrong?

In my recent conversations with people involved with the South Perimeter project, I have been told that the new government is very much behind seeing it proceed as planned. It is an important piece of infrastructure to grow the overall development of CentrePort.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2016, 1:22 PM

^ That's encouraging. It's fairly obvious that the South Perimeter is pretty deficient by modern highway standards and the project is aimed at bringing it up to an acceptable minimum standard... it's hardly some white elephant Taj Mahal ego project. Glad to know it's still on the books.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2016, 1:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ That's encouraging. It's fairly obvious that the South Perimeter is pretty deficient by modern highway standards and the project is aimed at bringing it up to an acceptable minimum standard... it's hardly some white elephant Taj Mahal ego project. Glad to know it's still on the books.
Having to drive 60 KMPH, then 80, then 90 and finally 100 and further up 110 is ridiculous when exiting Winnipeg from the south on #75! But then speed limits throughout Winnipeg and Manitoba are a joke!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan