HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Ori is a supervillain and that window in particular just seem like a giant "fuck you."

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Ori is a supervillain and that window in particular just seem like a giant "fuck you."
Lol I didn't even notice it at first because I was so floored by the flood of cheap aluminum paneling that has been barfed upon this monstrosity. But as soon as I saw that window... there is truly no way to interpret it other than a fuck you. I mean honestly, it's like 2'X8' section of wall, how hard would it have truly been to preserve it? How hard would it have been to maintain even the slightest illusion that this is some type of realized architectural vision. But nope. It's like he went out of his way to show that this is truly nothing more than a thin facade in front of an absolute turd.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 9:45 PM

Does anyone know what is going on at the site of the former 12th Street Gym? As of last October there is an active demolition permit for the site. I know all of the businesses in the building on the block have moved out (Tabu, Gym, and Hair Salon).

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 2:42 PM

1141 N. Front Street

Phase 1

Possible Phase 2

Current view of site:

Read more here:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...ates-el-magnet

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 3:51 PM

Good news:

After last-minute negotiations, judge picks a winner in Philadelphia refinery auction
https://www.inquirer.com/business/en...-20200213.html

Quote:
A U.S. Bankruptcy Court judge on Wednesday tentatively approved the sale of the shuttered Philadelphia Energy Solutions refinery to a Chicago firm, closing the door on more than a century of oil refining in South Philadelphia and potentially radically altering the city’s landscape.

Judge Kevin Gross said he was satisfied that Hilco Redevelopment Partners’ $252 million bid — boosted by $12 million in a flurry of eleventh-hour negotiations on Wednesday — was the highest and best offer for the 1,300-acre site, occupied by the East Coast’s largest oil refinery until it abruptly closed June 21 after a devastating fire.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 4:03 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
Is this a really done deal now? Or will there be some other law suit to hold up the sale? It seems like there is a big creditor that wants it money.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 4:44 PM

Not quite a done deal (at least legally). From the article:

Quote:
Hilco’s bid was conditioned on obtaining modifications to the restrictive covenants by May 31, when it is set to close the sale or walk away. John Mitchell, a lawyer representing Sunoco, said at Wednesday’s hearing that the company and Hilco had reached an agreement dealing with environmental issues, details of which would be included in the final plan.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 8:32 PM
Philly Pholly

I've been wondering about this. It's been bugging me. Is there some plan regarding this facade?

333 S Broad Street

333 S Broad Street 3

333 S Broad Street 2

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^
Is this a really done deal now? Or will there be some other law suit to hold up the sale? It seems like there is a big creditor that wants it money.
I don't trust Hilco, although they have a record of handling similar sites. For a location that is going to take a decade or more to close, demo, then clean, before any work on creating something new can begin, what's the rush to have all the ducks lined up in 3 or 4 months? My big question is when do they pay the $252M; that's a indication of when they are serious.

Unfortunately I think this is just the first of many plans to be kicked around and taken to court. When his holiness Lord Trump leaves office might effect its future, as its clear that he and his gang think carbon based energy is the way of the future. My best guess is that unless someone has the capital and the political pull to be given permission to run the site as a refinery, that after 5+ years the City will end up owning it, then the process will start all over

Last edited by City Wide; Feb 14, 2020 at 6:34 AM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 10:08 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
Yeah, I'm not sure what's going to ultimately happen to the site. I mean lots of people were at the table to discuss this in negotiations and when it was all said and done, they picked Hilco for the right reasons. Now, money talks... but one thing for sure is that any development on the site won't happen fast for the reasons you mentioned.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
I don't trust Hilco, although they have a record of handling [B]similar[B] sites. For a location that is going to take a decade or more to close, demo, then clean, before any work on creating something new can begin, what's the rush to have all the ducks lined up in 3 or 4 months? My big question is when do they pay the $252M; that's a indication of when they are serious.

Unfortunately I think this is just the first of many plans to be kicked around and taken to court. When his holiness Lord Trump leaves office might effect its future, as its clear that he and his gang think carbon based energy is the way of the future. My best guess is that unless someone has the capital and the political pull to be given permission to run the site as a refinery, that after 5+ years the City will end up owning it, then the process will start all over
No to nearly all of this. I expect Hilco to make it work. Though I'm told the Rinaldi group may try to appeal.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 6:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^
Yeah, I'm not sure what's going to ultimately happen to the site. I mean lots of people were at the table to discuss this in negotiations and when it was all said and done, they picked Hilco for the right reasons. Now, money talks... but one thing for sure is that any development on the site won't happen fast for the reasons you mentioned.
Yes, money talks. But lawyers file appeals. I would make a bet at 20 to 1 that nothing new of any size is built within 8 years. Beyond that, talk to my estate! Or that Comcast III is designed built and fought over in court before this site is developed for a different use.
I hope I'm wrong, because some very creative ideas for green development could be tried out down there, like bio gas, especially if the final price is a lot less then advertised.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
Yes, money talks. But lawyers file appeals. I would make a bet at 20 to 1 that nothing new of any size is built within 8 years. Beyond that, talk to my estate! Or that Comcast III is designed built and fought over in court before this site is developed for a different use.
I hope I'm wrong, because some very creative ideas for green development could be tried out down there, like bio gas, especially if the final price is a lot less then advertised.
I don’t think anyone is expecting tall buildings out of this. There is also lots of environmental clean up that needs to happen. A logistics hub employing thousands would be ideal.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 4:30 PM

943 N 2ND ST was getting drilled/soil tested the other day. Could this be that long lost hotel plan?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 4:32 PM

yeah a logistics hub probably makes the most sense, based on how contaminated the site probably is and its proximity to freight lines, csx terminal, port of Philadelphia, highways and the airport. Hilco has a similar project in Baltimore, tradepoint atlantic.

I was hoping some more parkland would come out of all this along the river, but maybe the contamination makes even that prohibitive. Maybe some green industry will move in though.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 4:59 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
Plenty of acreage, why not throw up a solar tower or any other green energy that doesn't pollute. Distribution hub would be good, but NE Philly is getting a pretty big one from UPS. Lehigh Valley got them too and across the river in NJ from Amazon. Could already be a saturation in distribution warehouses or hubs, so Hilco needs to be very creative with its use under the premise of the highest and best use banner.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ok-ez View Post
943 N 2ND ST was getting drilled/soil tested the other day. Could this be that long lost hotel plan?
There was a hotel planned for that site?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ok-ez View Post
If you want to get idea of whats going on use this site

https://openmaps.phila.gov/

Usually answers questions in regards to whether or not permits have been issued which is typically a great way to find out if a project is moving towards construction.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2020, 10:50 PM

https://www.phillymag.com/property/2...ever-building/

Some more details on the Beury Building restoration. Their timeline seems to be a little under two years from now.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2020, 9:36 PM

Fresh Grocer will close its University City location next month after losing a nearly four-year-legal battle with the University of Pennsylvania.

https://www.inquirer.com/business/fr...-20200217.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development