HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > Hong Kong

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 2:53 PM

Urban planning jobs in HK?

I graduated in 2010 with a Masters Degree program in urban planning from a Canadian university. The degree program is recognized by the Canadian Institute of Planners and I am eligible for Provisional Membership with the CIP. I am also a LEED Accredited Professional. The job market for planners is very tough in Canada so I want to explore the possibility of going abroad.

I have approximately 1 year of experience in urban planning working primarily in the areas of development and policy including some municipal/government experience. I also have approximately 1 year of experience in the development field from work prior to pursuing my graduate degree.

My family is from HK but I was born and raised in Canada. I have the Right of Abode so I would not need to apply for a work permit or have any issues living or working there. However, I can only speak conversational Cantonese, can’t speak Mandarin, and can’t read or write Chinese.

I was wondering if there is anyone out there who can help me find some information about urban planning and/or development related jobs in HK.

1) What is the pay like for urban planners in HK?
2) What are some of the primary government authorities and private firms hiring planners?
3) What is the primary working language(s) for planners in HK?
4) Is there a shortage/surplus of planners in HK? What are the employment/career prospects like for planners?

Anything you info you can provide would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

Last edited by tovan; Apr 25, 2011 at 1:17 AM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 3:20 PM
Hong Kong

Perhaps you can also post on SSC's HK section as well. We have a livlier community over there.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > Hong Kong