HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 27, 2015, 12:37 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
If you discount urbanism enthusiasts, then very few cities including those with the most famous skylines would be instantly recognisable in silhouette to those outside the local area.

The ones that would have the best chance are probably those with observation towers like Seattle, or if you showed a silhouette that included the ESB people would recognise NY. But then if you showed a building with a similar roof line like a couple in Atlanta, you'd fool most of them.

Non-urbanism enthusiasts do well to recognise most cities in a clear, high detail, perfectly lit daytime shot.
I'd guess something of Paris with the Eiffel Tower, and something of London with Westminster, would do fine.

For Canadians with a degree of interest my only guesses would be Toronto and maybe Quebec City (the big gaps and prominence of Chateau Frontenac give it a chance). They'd have to know if was a Canadian city, and even then I think it would be a small number. Slim chance for Niagara Falls, and maybe Montreal would get a few just by population numbers.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2015, 1:25 PM
See ya down under, mates

Canadian cities are extremely generic. We don't really do big and bold.

I couldn't describe what Ottawa and Quebec City's skylines look like. Nothing comes to mind. Only CN Tower and Harbour Centre/Canada Place really stick out, but I see Harbour Centre/Canada Place from my condo so I am biased on that.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2015, 2:53 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
I'd guess something of Paris with the Eiffel Tower, and something of London with Westminster, would do fine.

For Canadians with a degree of interest my only guesses would be Toronto and maybe Quebec City (the big gaps and prominence of Chateau Frontenac give it a chance). They'd have to know if was a Canadian city, and even then I think it would be a small number. Slim chance for Niagara Falls, and maybe Montreal would get a few just by population numbers.
In London if you were to take a silhouette shot of just the Westminster area maybe, but the Westminster clock tower wouldn't even be visible in the general skyline. But St. Paul's is pretty distinctive.

But definitely true for observation tower cities like Paris. Especially since the Eiffel tends to be more distinctive than the more modern ones.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2015, 3:15 PM
gettin' rich!

London also has the London Eye and that is basically in every summer blockbuster movie these days.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2015, 7:51 PM
Create and Conquer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberguy View Post
lol, this is so sad.
It all starts somewhere. And it is sad. But in Winnipeg standards, this is still a complete change in the big picture.

Over the past decade Toronto has gone from like 50-89 on a scale to 100.

Winnipeg is going from like 0-28 in the next decade

Which is still sad but its still an overhaul for a city like ours.

And London isn't recognizable by silhouette without the London eye and and all, but what about to someone who lives in England? Could be a different story.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2015, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post

I couldn't describe what Ottawa and Quebec City's skylines look like. Nothing comes to mind. Only CN Tower and Harbour Centre/Canada Place really stick out, but I see Harbour Centre/Canada Place from my condo so I am biased on that.
Not even this?

Pretty recognizable IMO

Old Posted Sep 28, 2015, 12:17 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villaggio View Post
Not even this?

Pretty recognizable IMO
That's very cool looking and I knew Quebec had a great old world style look but I drew a blank on landmarks. Didn't realize that hotel was so big.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2015, 12:28 PM

Quebec City and Ottawa don't really have skylines.. It's like saying "i don't know what washington's skyline looks like".. It doesn't have one. The cities are recognizable by famous buildings instead.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2015, 2:17 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post

We don't do big and bold because we've only got one actually big city and don't have many Oil Sheikhs looking to pump up their egos.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2015, 2:34 PM
More transit please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Quebec City and Ottawa don't really have skylines.. It's like saying "i don't know what washington's skyline looks like".. It doesn't have one. The cities are recognizable by famous buildings instead.
Exactly! Speaking of our National Capital, I'm going to Ottawa next week for the first time (shameful I know).

Old Posted Sep 28, 2015, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshalk View Post
Calgary, Alberta

This is great. Just need the 7 tower Eau Claire B-Lands proposal in there and it will be complete.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2015, 3:30 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshalk View Post
Very impressive come 2025 or so.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 28, 2015, 3:34 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
We don't do big and bold because we've only got one actually big city and don't have many Oil Sheikhs looking to pump up their egos.
In the 1970's to the early 1980's Toronto was "That City"

Now Toronto has regressed back its conservative design idology.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2015, 5:21 PM
I am the law!

Toronto? It's basically nation wide. Not enough competition between the developers building the towers and the companies occupying them.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2015, 7:25 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
In the 1970's to the early 1980's Toronto was "That City"

Now Toronto has regressed back its conservative design idology.
Which is good. Toronto needs more girth than height unless it wants to look like one of those skeletal US skylines.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 4:50 AM

Just can't get my hands around it but really not impressed with the Eau Claire Market development! IMO, it just doesn't fit in that area.... I've always thought it was a silly looking development. The rest of that Calgary photo looks great!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBob View Post
Just can't get my hands around it but really not impressed with the Eau Claire Market development! IMO, it just doesn't fit in that area.... I've always thought it was a silly looking development. The rest of that Calgary photo looks great!

I like it, the only thing about it that makes it feel a bit out of place is it feels a little bulky, at least the taller tower does. Still nice though. I'd like something like that on Toronto's waterfront. It would look good on Nun's Island as well.

Last edited by TorontoDrew; Sep 29, 2015 at 6:00 PM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 5:06 PM
I am the law!

The individual towers are decent. Together there's not enough variation in the sculptural forms with too much mass on the south end of the site. Overall, not a bad attempt at "wow factor" while maximizing every inch of density under the shadowing rule

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 3:47 AM

It's typical... in this case instead of twins, which Calgary is famous for, it's 3-4-5 buildings of the same style. And a couple of these (Eau Claire) are just really fat/bulky looking!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 1:59 AM

If you know Parliament, you can recognize Ottawa's skyline, dominated by the Peace Tower and other late 19th Century, early 20th Century Gothic Revival Federal buildings.

Office and condo towers are as generic as can be and can barely be recognized by many people born and raised in the Ottawa area.

http://graphicriver.net/item/ottawa-...ground/4368164

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/arch.../t-140994.html

And a couple future Ottawa skyline shots to stay on topic. Former Delta Hotel (12 and 17 floors) will be demolished for a new hotel and condo tower (27 and 23 floors):

http://www.obj.ca/Real-Estate/Constr...61-Queen-St./1

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada