HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I'd love to see the photograph as well, naudeu.
I have made a copy of the photo, and thought Google Photos would be able to host it if I just copied the link, but to no avail. How are folks posting images these days without subscribing to a hosting site?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 8:21 PM

Temple and Hill

Last edited by nadeau; Nov 26, 2019 at 6:40 AM. Reason: Broken link

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 8:32 PM

Quote:

Hmmm...so what did the grade school in Long Beach California look like?

Here is Lowell Elementary, damaged in the 1933 Earthquake.

cdm
Here's a 1926 picture of the school before the earthquake.

Historical Society of Long Beach

Looking at the GSV images, I initially thought that they'd saved some parts of the old school, but counting windows, I think they just rebuilt the front in a similar style.

Google Maps

Quote:

I'm sure Lowell Elementary was one of several grade schools in Long Beach CA., right?
Here's the list of schools from the 1932/33 Long Beach CD:

Schools-Public

Addams Jane 5120 Pine av
Atlantic Avenue 550 Atlantic av
Bryant William Cullen 4101 Fountain
Burbank Luther 4th and Junipero av
Burnett 2201 Atlantic av
Columbia 1521 W Willow
Continuation High 900 E 17th
Dewey John Vocational 1794 Cedar av
Edison Thomas A 625 Maine av
Edison Thomas A Junior High 620 W 6th
Franklin Junior High 601 Orange av
Fremont John C 4000 E 4th
Garfield James A 1400 W Hill
Grant Ulysses S 1401 Harding
Hamilton Junior High E State bet Gundry av and Alamitos av
International Cottage 627 W 7th
Jefferson Junior High 3735 E 7th
Lafayette 2445 Chestnut av
Las Amigas 1023 E 21st
Lincoln 1100 Alamitos av
Lindburgh Junior High 1055 E Market
Long Beach Junior College 970 Ximeno av
Longfellow 3400 Olive av
Los Cerritos 515 San Antonio dr
Lowell James Russell 5200 E Bway
Mann Horace 272 Obispo av
McKinley 6822 Richfield av
Mirasol 1819 Pine av
Muir John 1465 Pacific av
Naples 5501 The Toledo
Newport Avenue 1142 Newport av
Orthopedic Hospital 4031 Wilton
Polytechnic High E 16th and Atlantic av
Rock Haven 616 Orange av
Roosevelt Theodore 15th and Linden av
Seaside 34 Riverside av
Signal Hill 2285 Walnut av
Starr King 141 E Artesia
Temple Avenue 1600 Temple av
Washington George Elementary 8th and American av
Washington George Junior High 815 American av
West State Street 1610 W State
Whittier John G 17th and Walnut av
Willard Frances E 1051 Freeman
Wilson Woodrow High School 940 Ximeno av

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadeau View Post
I have made a copy of the photo, and thought Google Photos would be able to host it if I just copied the link, but to no avail. How are folks posting images these days without subscribing to a hosting site?
You can use the no-charge Postimage.org (as I do):

https://postimages.org/

You can either do it without subscribing with a registered account, or you can have a (also free) registered account.

They're an "org" (not a "com") and their thing is to provide free image hosting, which they've been doing since 2004. I've been with them several years, and have had zero problems, zilch, nada. I'm completely satisfied with them.

When you upload a pic to them, you get an array of URLs or links or whatever they might be called; for NLA, you choose the one called "Direct Link," and voila!

Las Casitas office and pool, Avalon; odinthor collection

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
You can use the no-charge Postimage.org (as I do):

https://postimages.org/

You can either do it without subscribing with a registered account, or you can have a (also free) registered account.

They're an "org" (not a "com") and their thing is to provide free image hosting, which they've been doing since 2004. I've been with them several years, and have had zero problems, zilch, nada. I'm completely satisfied with them.

When you upload a pic to them, you get an array of URLs or links or whatever they might be called; for NLA, you choose the one called "Direct Link," and voila!
I use postimages as well, but use the "Hot link for Forums" option which also works.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 10:45 PM

Early Temple and Hill

I found this modern print in a warehouse closet. I have no idea of provenance, and I haven’t seen it anywhere else. Maybe someone here will know:

Due to similarity to C. C. Pierce negative number 7086, I believe this is likely to be attributed to same.

https://i.postimg.cc/ry3Fvzg6/BC29-E...0-FF93-CD6.jpg
Origin Unknown

Due to similarity to C. C. Pierce negative number 7086, I believe this is likely to be attributed to same.

Thanks to all the contributors to this site and to ethereal_reality and odinthor for your patience. I’ve been lurking on this group for almost a decade and this is my first post.

Last edited by nadeau; Nov 26, 2019 at 4:55 PM. Reason: Adding thanks!

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
I also noticed in that photo tetsu, the one-time home of J.W. Gillette (lower left, collanaded, east-facing porch, squared-off gable), builder of Angels Flight for Col Eddy. It has been engulfed by urbanization (Mount Lee and Mount Hollywood back the scene).

Thx for posting this Hoss.

A closer view (a bit earlier than the one above):

uscdl (detail)

An even closer view of some of the shops:

uscdl (detail)

Back in 1878-1879 the Gillette home was in a very suburban setting. Hill St, coming down off Court Hill, is a lane at best. The Horticultural Pavilion (Ezra Kysor, 1879), on Fort Moore Hill, is at upper right, just nearing completion:

seaver center

In 1871 this area was truly rural, even though it was close to town. A little lane runs north from Temple to reach the ten-acre Protestant cemetery:

ucla dl augustus koch (detail)

The in-between stage, 1892. Temple street frontages have been graded and Hill Street is now a proper, if somewhat disjointed, street.
The Protestant cemetery has been reduced to a five-acre remnant:

uscdl (detail)

The Gillette home. A detail from the photo above:

uscdl (detail)

322 Temple was demolished and replaced with a garage in 1919/1920.

The two homes on the north side of Temple, just west of Hill St also appear in all three photos.

The Gillette home site is now within the footprint of the current Hall of Records.
I wanted to add this to the above since they all are of the same intersection.

Origin Unknown (Due to similarity to C. C. Pierce negative number 7086, I believe this is likely to be attributed to same.)

Last edited by nadeau; Nov 26, 2019 at 4:54 PM. Reason: Photog attribution

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 12:37 AM

Wow! That is a fantastic photograph, nadeau. Thanks so much for posting it.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 1:37 AM

I just happened upon this excellent rppc photograph of a boarding house located at 126 W. 21st. Street, Los Angeles in March, 1915.... HERE

There are some very interesting looking boarders in this pic. I especially like the gentleman in the chair on the right.

The three ne'er-do-wells on the top step look like they'd be fun to hang-out with at the local pool hall....(actually, they're sitting in CHAIRS too)

Is that a vent, or a trap door, to the left of the porch? ...(perhaps a distant relative of the owner is chained up in the basement)

Note the Room & Board sign on the pillar.

The reverse.

Search terms:...MRS. JACOBY AND DAUGHTER (CIARA HACKENYOS)...J. J. LEONARD (?)...MEDICAL COLLEGE - UNIV. OF SO. CAL.

I wonder if the man in the chair is the person associated with the USC medical school student. (I wonder if he's a student or a professor)

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 26, 2019 at 1:57 AM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 3:02 AM

Quote:
I just happened upon this excellent rppc photograph of a boarding house located at 126 W. 21st. Street, Los Angeles in March, 1915....

There are some very interesting looking boarders in this pic. I especially like the gentleman in the chair on the right.

The three ne'er-do-wells on the top step look like they'd be fun to hang-out with at the local pool hall....(actually, they're sitting in CHAIRS too)

Is that a vent, or a trap door, to the left of the porch? ...(perhaps a distant relative of the owner is chained up in the basement)

Note the Room & Board sign on the pillar.

The reverse.

Search terms:...MRS. JACOBY AND DAUGHTER (CIARA HACKENYOS)...J. J. LEONARD (?)...MEDICAL COLLEGE - UNIV. OF SO. CAL.

I wonder if the man in the chair is the person associated with the USC medical school student. (I wonder if he's a student or a professor)

If that door was near the kitchen I'd say it's a door for an icebox, but it looks like it's under the parlor.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
As you asked many a question in this and subsequent post, I thought I'd zoom in on a few interesting tidbits.

First of all, thought I'd float a theory. Why all the patriotic bunting? Well, here's a May 1901 ad for the Fiesta de las Flores, and it's Swanfeldt's for all your patriotic bunting needs, especially since we have an "honored guest":

Thus maybe they were all turned out for the Presidential visit. I think that also answers the question of "what's with the string?" — though it was not string, but wire. Here is a snippet that talks about McKinley's parade cruising along Main Street, and about the wires that were erected to keep parade-watchers back:

Anyway, let's take a look at that baby—or is it?

Guess we'll never know! Check out mysterious inviso-face guy:

And this lady, who totally did it with Martin Van Buren when she was sixteen:

There's this incredible Odd Fellows lamp in the doorway—

And this one above, of the "Friendship, Love & Truth" interlocking oval rings symbol of the order, done with incandescent bulbs—

But mostly I love these two fellows, who apparently have fashioned sleeves for themselves out of awning material—

Guy on the right is like an even more badass version of Lee Marvin in the Wild One, which you wouldn't think possible, but there you are

"
And this lady, who totally did it with Martin Van Buren when she was sixteen" I laughed so hard i snorted throughout this ENTIRE post

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 6:47 AM

Quote:
I wanted to add this to the above since they all are of the same intersection.

Origin Unknown
I wouldn’t have guessed it before, but by looking at the chimney on the house in lower left corner, I’m thinking that might be the Temple Street side of the Gillette House. My dyslexia was getting the best of me whilst trying to orient myself to the streets, especially since Hill Street wasn’t even there in the older photo.

I’m also noticing that the chimneys on the possible Gillette House also match the chimneys on the house with the long porch on the west side of Hill Street, so maybe they were related somehow.

Last edited by nadeau; Nov 26, 2019 at 4:51 PM. Reason: Added probable photographer

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 7:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillinGlendaleCA View Post
I use postimages as well, but use the "Hot link for Forums" option which also works.
Thanks!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 7:57 AM

Last edited by nadeau; Nov 26, 2019 at 7:58 AM. Reason: Nothing to compare

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 8:00 AM

Quote:
I just happened upon this excellent rppc photograph of a boarding house located at 126 W. 21st. Street, Los Angeles in March, 1915.... HERE

How many of the gentlemen were drawn to 216 because they missed Mother?

cdnc.ucr.edu - Los Angeles Herald - 4 February 1915

The CD listings for 216 W. 21st Street in 1915.

Adaline R. Jacoby, wid Danl
Clara E. Hackenyos, wid Bert

Warren B. Craig, auto opr
Wilbert Day, clk
Harry Linder, clk
Alex McKenzie, painter
Clair E. Ross, cement wkr
Glenn Ross, cement wkr

For 1916 it's Adaline and Clara with

Athol Freeman, clk
Leroy F. Jacoby, sheetmetal wkr
Elwood Riddle, horseshoer
William Thomas, auto mech

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 1:54 PM

Quote:

I found this modern print in a warehouse closet. I have no idea of provenance, and I haven’t seen it anywhere else. Maybe someone here will know:

https://i.postimg.cc/ry3Fvzg6/BC29-E...0-FF93-CD6.jpg
Origin Unknown

Thanks to all the contributors to this site and to ethereal_reality and odinthor for your patience. I’ve been lurking on this group for almost a decade and this is my first post.
This appears to be the same scene from a little further back.

"View looking southwest of the residential area surrounding Broadway, Temple Street and Hill Street, ca.1880."

USC Digital Library

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
This appears to be the same scene from a little further back.

"View looking southwest of the residential area surrounding Broadway, Temple Street and Hill Street, ca.1880."

USC Digital Library
Thanks! That would likely mean the photographer is C. C. Pierce or that it came from his collection. I’ll keep searching the USC Archive for the closer angle.

Last edited by nadeau; Nov 27, 2019 at 12:14 AM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 7:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Meanwhile; back in Long Beach.

LONG BEACH GRADE SCHOOL...1890 - 1965.............................................................................................................................

eBay

The building was initially a one school schoolhouse built in 1890; in 1907 another room was added; in 1915 the rooms were enlarged and remodeled to make the building pictured.

It was replaced by a new brick school in 1965.

Is that a bunch of firwood? If so, the school must have had a wood burning stove / furnace. ...(my old grade school had a coal burning furnace)

BACK OF THE POSTCARD...IT DOESN'T INCLUDE AN ADDRESS.

I am trying to figure out where this wooden school was located.

When you look closely at this picture it does not look like California. The dead grass, the street and curbing, the huge stack of firewood, the rural school buses. The whole photo looks like a rural school. I suspect this is rural Washington state and not Long Beach. CA

Hoss.....I believe you nailed it.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 11:58 PM
BANNED

MaryEllen

Rather spooky. 1992 Clayton Moore, Television’s “Lone Ranger,” at home in Los Angeles, CA This is his Calabasas home.

At home with Hoppy....just another day.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Nov 27, 2019 at 2:31 AM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Thanks! That would likely mean the photographer is C. C. Pierce or that it came from his collection. I’ll keep searching the USC Archive for the closer angle.
OK, so here come the noir. C.C. Pierce lived a long life as a photographer. During his life he acquired prints or negatives from his contemporaries and erased their names from their work. The above negative (numbered and all) might be his work, or they might have been the important work of other Angelenos. Imagine his world of acquisitions. Who was C. C. Pierce? “I’d love to see your work some time”. Who were those other photographers? I appreciate that he had an archive, despite its archival deficiencies. Sadly, even his own legacy as a photographer has been lost amongst his collection.

Last edited by nadeau; Nov 27, 2019 at 8:12 AM. Reason: .

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos