HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 11:20 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
I've seen the river and I just really don't find the river on the north side attractive at all. Lots of shit and trash in the water, it's disgusting. Maybe I'm spoiled growing up in Florida. With crystal clear spring fed rivers, where you can see all the way to the bottom.
you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but my guess is that's it's a minority one (especially given your rather obscure point of reference that crystal clear florida spring water rivers are the only kind that can be nice), because all of the people that i have personally taken on the river have always reacted with "holy shit, this is so awesome! i had no idea this has been right in my back yard all of these years". it's typically an eye-opening experience for chicagoans who have been trained to view the river as nothing more than an open sewer for generations now.

as to your point about the river being polluted, it doesn't have to be that way. if more chicagoans were exposed to how nice the river is by having greater access to it, perhaps we could bring greater political pressure to bear to improve it even more than the great strides it's already made over the past several decades. MWRD water sterilization is coming, and that will further help the water quality issues of the river. 40 years ago, the river was dead; a toxic lifeless cesspool. today there's now something like 3 or 4 dozen species of fish in the river. when i'm out kayaking, i see beavers, muskrats, turtles, and multitudes of different water fowl species. it's a veritable wildlife haven that cuts right through the urban city.

and if we continue to work to make it better, it will get better! mother nature is one hell of a resilient woman!

sorry for getting on the soap box, but as an avid river kayaker i'm quite passionate about the chicago river.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 4:07 AM

There is much more posturing than performance when it comes to fulfilling the promise of conserving the natural habitat or cleaning up the Chicago River. There are competing interests at work on the River and there has been no consistency of focus by the City or the MWRD.

Overall, much, much better than it was, IMO. Not a sewer. But, not the Weeki-Wachie Springs. And, there are certainly neglected and un-tended places all along the River.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 6:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
I think I had a similar surprise in my reaction.

I wouldn't go nearly so far as to say that I like it. I might say - of all the shitty, clumsy, neo-re-trad-trash-leaning junk slung about out in da wards, my vomit didn't quite exit my mouth in full, frozen-rope projectile fashion this morning........it was perhaps something more than a dribble, but the rendered design at hand was not quite stomach-churning enough to manage something tremendously more impressively crowd-pleasing than that....

Also, does it not floor anybody else that this Mark McKinney, Marty Parish Sedgwick lackey/hackey is on the IIT (note - I got the letters right - not ITT.....that's IIT) payroll? Seriously? And, wtf?!
Okay, in my defense, something like this is my point of reference.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 7:04 AM

Speaking of the Riverview / Lane Tech area, an entire campus building was just levelled at the DeVry campus. It was on the nw corner of Melrose and Campbell; according to Google Maps it was for their Keller school. They must have relocated somewhere else. Anyone know what the future of the site is? Another soccer field would be welcome.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilton View Post
There is much more posturing than performance when it comes to fulfilling the promise of conserving the natural habitat or cleaning up the Chicago River. There are competing interests at work on the River and there has been no consistency of focus by the City or the MWRD.

Overall, much, much better than it was, IMO. Not a sewer. But, not the Weeki-Wachie Springs. And, there are certainly neglected and un-tended places all along the River.
Not a simple question - Natural requires a much larger footprint than even the Desplaines forest preserves offer. While we sit and debate some are busy as ....

Thatcher woods - Chicago ave / First Ave / Thatcher ave

Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 10:49 PM

"Big" Development coming to Wicker Park? Anybody in the area, there is a meeting tonight at 1425 N Damen complete with a rendering. Would love to see what this guy has in store for this. He needs a zoning change for it to happen.

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20131...parks-main-hub

Quote:
Brian Goldberg of LG Development confirmed Monday that he hopes to buy five properties at 1643-57 N. Milwaukee Ave.

He plans 30 new apartments and 9,400 square feet of retail storefront to replace a car wash, shuttered restaurant, a century-old office building and a small parking lot.

Occupants of the buildings include 1-on-1 Fitness at 1643 N. Milwaukee, a restaurant that once housed the shuttered Mado restaurant at 1647 N. Milwaukee Ave., a parking lot adjacent to a Wash Express Car Wash and the car wash itself at 1657 N. Milwaukee Ave.
Quote:
Calling the apartments "a cool concept," Goldberg said the building would have bike parking and "encourage leasing to tenants who use public transportation and do not have cars."
Quote:
Seeking approval to change the zoning from a manufacturing district to a B-3-3 residential shopping district, Goldberg plans to present a proposal to the Wicker Park Committee's Preservation Development's Subcommittee's meeting at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the park field house, 1425 N. Damen Ave.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
"Big" Development coming to Wicker Park? Anybody in the area, there is a meeting tonight at 1425 N Damen complete with a rendering. Would love to see what this guy has in store for this. He needs a zoning change for it to happen.

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20131...parks-main-hub
This had me really excited until this:

Quote:
Designed by the architectural firm Antunovich Associates...

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 1:01 AM

^bummer, but I'll take it. New growth will promote new growth.

Also at Chicago and Lasalle (SW corner):

Think Simple. A Coffee, Tea, and Pastry place. Any coffee, tea, or pastry folks know anything about this place? Google can't seem to find it either, or I can't.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 1:16 AM

Speaking of our favoritest alderthing, Reilly's recent newsletter proudly boasts of the ordinance he introduced to downzone the Village Theater/Elly's site at Clark & North from B3-5 to B3-3. I can't tell if that already passed, or if it will be on the next meeting agenda - can any one confirm?

Good thing too, since my favorite neighborhood amenities are the deteriorating eyesore of a closed theater, a consistently mediocre and disappointing pancake house, and that polish passport photo storefront.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 2:51 AM

Looks like ADM is expected to move the HQ to Chicago. Announcement to come tomorrow (Wednesday). No more tech center, but they're moving without tax incentives which is huge. Now, which building will they move to?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,2066153.story

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 2:56 AM

Without tax incentives? Then what did they get?

This would be a good way to draw attention to River Point.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post

Maybe someone got real with them. While the River Point thing would be cool, they will be moving far before that 2017 opening date of River Point. Of course, they could always move there later..

This is a pretty big win for Chicago and it'll just show other companies looking to relocate that Chicago is a good choice. Just a continuing trend. I hope this causes other big companies who are looking to relocate to consider Chicago even more strongly.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Looks like ADM is expected to move the HQ to Chicago. Announcement to come tomorrow (Wednesday). No more tech center, but they're moving without tax incentives which is huge. Now, which building will they move to?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,2066153.story
Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post

Quote:
Maybe someone got real with them. While the River Point thing would be cool, they will be moving far before that 2017 opening date of River Point. Of course, they could always move there later..

This is a pretty big win for Chicago and it'll just show other companies looking to relocate that Chicago is a good choice. Just a continuing trend. I hope this causes other big companies who are looking to relocate to consider Chicago even more strongly.
FYI we have a separate thread for discussing Chicago business:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=144988

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 6:26 AM

^ I had no idea. Thanks and very good!

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 8:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
FYI we have a separate thread for discussing Chicago business:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=144988
It's been asked many times before, but can that thread be merged with all the other Chicago P&C threads? I never make it over to the Economic thread since it's tucked away from my SSP bookmark.

On another note, I'm supremely curious about what's going in at the old Skewerz space under the Damen Blue Line. All I saw online was a half million dollar built-out permit. Anyone know what's going on?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 9:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markh9 View Post
On another note, I'm supremely curious about what's going in at the old Skewerz space under the Damen Blue Line. All I saw online was a half million dollar built-out permit. Anyone know what's going on?
Stan's Donuts which is a donut shop right outside of the UCLA campus that was once named the #1 donuts in America is going in there (along with the ability to get coffee). My grandma's cousin was neighbors with the owner - I remember getting some free donuts and they were delicious. The peanut butter, banana, chocolate chip donut is really great. They may have even started a mini chain since the last time I had them. Something I didn't catch the first time is that (a) They'll be open late (great news) and (b) they'll probably open a second location in Streeterville later next year or early 2015.

It's been a long time and I can't wait to have these again. Thanks for reminding me

http://chicago.eater.com/archives/20...icker-park.php

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 9:25 AM
dream fast

Another blurb:
Stan's Donuts will be moving into the former Skewerz restaurant space at 1560 N. Damen Ave.
http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20130...d-damen-l-stop

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 9:59 AM

Wow - missed that completely. Great to read - and really excited to give 'em a shot.

From the outside, looks like the space is definitely coming along...wonder if they'll open before spring?

Next up at that intersection: Coyote Hotel! Looking forward to that more so than most of the proposed projects in the city.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 10:30 AM
TL;DR

The Trib is reporting that CPS will move its offices to 1 N Dearborn (the Sears flagship w/the Argo Tea). They have already retained a consultant to help them sell their current building.

I'm glad CPS will be putting that building back into private ownership... Hopefully it can be restored from its current sorry state. It might make a good hotel. I don't see it working for offices and the location is weird for residential. I won't shed any tears if a replacement is planned either.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markh9 View Post
It's been asked many times before, but can that thread be merged with all the other Chicago P&C threads? I never make it over to the Economic thread since it's tucked away from my SSP bookmark.
That would be most helpful. You can also create a list of subscribed threads in the QUICK LINKS drop down menu. That's how I keep my Chicago threads consolidated.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development