HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Photo of the signage - found on the FiveFive Queen FB page:

I'm wondering what the sign lights are going to look like. Seems like they are going to have 5 on this side, and there is supposed to be another sign on the other side.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 8:38 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

FiveFive Queen - current status:

Photo from Retail Talk & Share

Old Posted Feb 24, 2019, 4:59 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Some additional information regarding the NBLC specialty wine store planned for the main floor of FiveFive Queen:

Quote:
The store will be aimed at wine enthusiasts and will feature a variety of unique products not seen in other stores. In addition to a large wine selection, the store will also feature specialty spirits and craft beer.
So, specialty spirits and craft beers too! I presume the selection for these items will also be a little more exotic than in mainstream liquor stores too........

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 2:42 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I discovered something interesting today:

There is a request for variance before the PAC meeting today to allow for larger signage at FiveFive Queen.

There were a couple of surprises in this RFV:

1) - I was under the assumption that the name for the planned boutique hotel at FiveFive was going to be "The Wesley". It appears that the name of the hotel will actually be the Fenix Boutique Hotel

2) - I also noticed the sign on the crest of the building too. This is what the signage is for:

So, it appears there will be a tapas bar on the roof of FiveFive Queen! Given the imagery on the signage, I presume this bar will be associated with the Fenix (sic Phoenix) Hotel. This is undoubtedly a very good idea, but I wonder what this will mean for the rooftop terrace intended for residents of the condominium part of the project?

I suppose the rooftop resident terrace could be located on one half of the roof while the tapas bar will be located on the other half of the roof.

In any event, this project continues to get more and more interesting as it nears completion.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Feb 25, 2019 at 5:18 PM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 3:26 PM

This is probably the most interesting mixed-used development in the province at the moment.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Some additional information regarding the NBLC specialty wine store planned for the main floor of FiveFive Queen:

So, specialty spirits and craft beers too! I presume the selection for these items will also be a little more exotic than in mainstream liquor stores too........
This is a good thing. NB craft brewers are making great products and have finally caught up to our neighbouring provinces in quality and variety.

However, NB Liquor is still lagging behind NS and Maine in the area of beer selection. I've been to specialty beer stores in both places and I can't get over the selection.

If you're ever in southern Maine, stop at Bootleggers in Topsham, not far from Freeport. It'll blow your mind.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 3:13 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Confirmation of the rooftop patio on the roof (9th floor) of FiveFive Queen

New hotel development to have roof top patio
https://www.telegraphjournal.com/tim...urce=story-top (paywall)

Quote:
The 97 room hotel located at 55 Queen Street has a working title of Fenix Boutique Hotel.

Bill Hennessey, president of FiveFive Developments Inc., said the name should be confirmed within a few weeks.
Quote:
The tentative name for the roof top patio is the Top Deck. The 4,000 square foot roof top bar and restaurant will be located on the ninth floor.

"If you are a resident of the building, if you are a condo owner, you'll have access to your own private outdoor patio area on the ninth floor," said Hennessey. "A portion will be allocated to our condo owners and the other portion will be available as a lounge/function area."

The project will also be home to the Gahan Brewery and restaurant, a fine wine store and a coffee shop.
This is the first mention I've seen regarding a "coffee shop" in the building.........

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 3:32 PM

How often do you read text where items are randomly red, bolded, or italicized? Or some godawful combination thereof? Please. Just. Stop.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 4:21 PM

Ignore him.

Ignore him MonctonRad. It makes sense and its easy to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
How often do you read text where items are randomly red, bolded, or italicized? Or some godawful combination thereof? Please. Just. Stop.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacdougall View Post
Ignore him MonctonRad. It makes sense and its easy to read.
Agreed. Never had an issue with that format either...

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 5:24 PM

https://www.quora.com/Do-italics-decrease-readability

Quote:
Italics, boldfacings, etc, are meant for emphasising short blocks of text for greater attention. Large blocks in italics, boldfacings, etc, makes the text harder to read, and this is known to generations of typographers and printers.

In other words, italic fount by itself doesn’t reduce readability, but large doses of it will.
Quote:
Studies show that italics are harder to read. For most of us, this is of little import. Italics are normally used for emphasis on a single word or phrase, so it doesn’t slow us down.

However, if you want dyslexics to also read your content, best avoid italics as much as possible. Studies have shown that italics forms a significant barrier to full comperhension and ease of reading for this segment of your readers.
Quote:
Yes in graphic design especially in publishing Italics are only used for style on certain things but not on body text because of readability.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 7:32 PM

Errr, I'm also OK with it, never had an issue reading it. Easy to see which is the article and which is your opinion/suggestion/comment. Nothing "random" there that I can see?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
Errr, I'm also OK with it, never had an issue reading it. Easy to see which is the article and which is your opinion/suggestion/comment. Nothing "random" there that I can see?
Random in the sense that literally nothing I read anywhere else is formatted in that way.

Anyways, I didn't mean to hijack the thread, but it absolutely impacts readability and doesn't seem to serve any purpose.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 7:51 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

effectiveImmediatelyAllPostsMustBeInCamelCase.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 8:20 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
effectiveImmediatelyAllPostsMustBeInCamelCase.

Tempest in a teapot.

I’ve been a member of SSP for 11 years (I think), and am amongst the 100 most frequent posters on the forum worldwide (which probably means I don’t have a life). Furthermore, I am old, stodgy and set in my ways, so I don’t think you’ll see me acquiescing entirely to OliverD’s demands.

The rule posted regarding italics is an interesting one though. I doubt there are too many dyslexic readers of the forum, but the point is a valid one. I therefore promise not to italicize long segments of text.

Otherwise, there is a reason why I format my posts as I do. One of the problems with a text driven Internet forum is difficulty in conveying emphasis and context. Bold face and colourized text can aid in this. The only time I use colour is if my post includes both fact and personal comment. I think it’s important to let the reader know which is which. Otherwise, things can become quite confusing and misleading very quickly.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Feb 26, 2019 at 8:31 PM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 2:55 AM

Quote:

Tempest in a teapot.

I’ve been a member of SSP for 11 years (I think), and am amongst the 100 most frequent posters on the forum worldwide (which probably means I don’t have a life). Furthermore, I am old, stodgy and set in my ways, so I don’t think you’ll see me acquiescing entirely to OliverD’s demands.

The rule posted regarding italics is an interesting one though. I doubt there are too many dyslexic readers of the forum, but the point is a valid one. I therefore promise not to italicize long segments of text.

Otherwise, there is a reason why I format my posts as I do. One of the problems with a text driven Internet forum is difficulty in conveying emphasis and context. Bold face and colourized text can aid in this. The only time I use colour is if my post includes both fact and personal comment. I think it’s important to let the reader know which is which. Otherwise, things can become quite confusing and misleading very quickly.
To be completely honest, I never got the connection that your red and italicized text indicated that you were trying to distinguish between fact and opinion. If anything I just glazed over those blocks of texts – not for lack of interest in the content, but because it is genuinely more difficult to read. To me it's similar to someone writing a wall of text but not breaking it into paragraphs. I think it's easier to convey fact versus opinion in how you structure your writing, not how the actual text is styled.

There's reasons why literally no one formats text the way you do.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 7:39 AM
Random Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post

There's reasons why literally no one formats text the way you do.
my elementary teacher used red pen. whenever I see red ink I think someone is making an important point or a major correction.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 2:06 PM

Nice development, I've said it before but it reminds me a lot of the first "Sister Sites" development off Spring Garden in Halifax, although the execution looks a bit more graceful on this one so far. The uses are remarkably similar (residential + boutique hotel + wine store + restaurant). The sleek, new aesthetic suits Moncton well.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
Nice development, I've said it before but it reminds me a lot of the first "Sister Sites" development off Spring Garden in Halifax, although the execution looks a bit more graceful on this one so far. The uses are remarkably similar (residential + boutique hotel + wine store + restaurant). The sleek, new aesthetic suits Moncton well.
Interesting comparison. I agree it looks better. The Sister Sites is a bit of a mish mash of materials which unfortunately is way too common on many new developments.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 8:58 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

We have a name for the new NBLC specialty store at FiveFive Queen:

Experience by ANBL

Good name.......

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces