HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
This small five unit apartment building with a ground floor convenience store is proposed for the NE corner of Donald and Curry in the Sunny Brae neighbourhood.

Very quiet January PAC agenda for the city...........
Quote:
Originally Posted by habskilla View Post
That is the corner where a person died in a house fire.

The building that burned down was also a small apartment building with a convenience store.

It seems the property never sold so the original owners, or there family will be running this, and it's a little strange to me that they plan on building the same thing that burned down years ago it was a store with 5 units previously. From the render it looks more like it would have 10-1 Bedroom Affordable units instead of 5 as stated.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 12:34 PM

Revolution nightclub on Elmwood Drive will not reopen. This place never bothered me but a lot of folks in the neighbourhood found the crowd noisy and bothersome in the wee hours and won't miss it.
Cheapest drinks in NB but no more.
Tough gig to run a nightclub in an age where they seize your car if you blow .05 and the liquor corp. charges you the same price as consumers to stock your beer cooler.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 6:14 AM
Non-Farmers, Farm Celery

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
Revolution nightclub on Elmwood Drive will not reopen. This place never bothered me but a lot of folks in the neighbourhood found the crowd noisy and bothersome in the wee hours and won't miss it.
Cheapest drinks in NB but no more.
Tough gig to run a nightclub in an age where they seize your car if you blow .05 and the liquor corp. charges you the same price as consumers to stock your beer cooler.
Without getting into any personal details the owner of Rev is known for failure as well as allowing underage patrons into his bars. He also owned Poutine Palace both of which have folded as well. I hope he stays away from ownership in the near future.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewber View Post
Without getting into any personal details the owner of Rev is known for failure as well as allowing underage patrons into his bars. He also owned Poutine Palace both of which have folded as well. I hope he stays away from ownership in the near future.
Given that he opened PP right next to Ed's Subs on Morton... which arguably has some of the BEST poutine in Moncton, says a lot.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 9:17 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

School needs $500K more for new sports field
https://www.telegraphjournal.com/tim...tory/100833631 (paywall)

render of the proposed new MHS sports field

Quote:
Proponents of a $2-million artificial turf sports field for the new Moncton High School are launching an "aggressive" campaign to raise the final $500,000 the project requires.

The Purple Knights Legacy Campaign will be launched during a meeting set for 6:30 p.m. Wednesday at the school on Longfellow Drive, off Elmwood Boulevard.

About $1.5 million in funding for the field has already been committed from the province and City of Moncton. The field includes lighting to allow after-hours play and seating for at least 600 spectators.
I'm surprised that Premier Higgs hasn't reneged on funding for the MHS field too!! It must g=have flown under the radar.......

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 12:48 AM

Quote:
This small five unit apartment building with a ground floor convenience store is proposed for the NE corner of Donald and Curry in the Sunny Brae neighbourhood.

Very quiet January PAC agenda for the city...........
Simple, but cute enough little apartment building and not square. I like it.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 12:57 AM

Quote:
I'm surprised that Premier Higgs hasn't reneged on funding for the MHS field too!! It must have flown under the radar.......
Where is Former Education Minister Jody Carr these days? Maybe he could afford to donate a few bucks.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 3:09 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Heritage board won't block demolition of church
https://www.telegraphjournal.com/tel...e=daily-digest (paywall)

The St-Louis-de-France church off Lewisville Road in Moncton.
Photo: Tom Bateman/Times and Transcript

Quote:
Moncton's Heritage Conservation Board has signalled it won't deny a future demolition permit for the former St-Louis-de-France Catholic church, as part of a redevelopment proposal for property off Lewisville Road.
Quote:
The proponent, who appeared before last week's heritage board meeting, is Albert Boudreau of A.T.M.J. Properties, which leases about 200 multi-unit apartments in Moncton.
Quote:
John Leroux, an architect and the manager of collections and exhibitions for the Beaverbrook Art Gallery, called the structure one of the best examples of the Brutalist style in Atlantic Canada.
Quote:
"It is a really misunderstood building. If this was in Montreal or Switzerland this would be a very loved building," Leroux said. "Moncton will absolutely regret [demolishing] it."
Personal note - I am not personally a fan of the Brutalist style, but I will admit that the Eglise St-Louis-de-France is one of the better examples of this style that I have seen.

It is an interesting concept, considering recently built buildings for heritage status, but it does make some sense for architecturally iconic buildings. In this case, I still don't think that this building passes muster in this regard. It is difficult to imagine how this building could be repurposed without significant modifications, and given it's location in a primarily residential neighbourhood, I think this property would be unsellable without the ability to demolish the building.

Given who plans to buy this property, I think we can assume another multi unit residential building is in the offing. Let's just hope it isn't yet another four storey vinyl clad monstrosity. There are already far too many of these in the city already.........

Last edited by MonctonRad; Feb 19, 2019 at 4:43 PM.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 4:28 PM

^^ I grew up just a few streets away and we always went sliding at the hill in back. It used to be a busy spot back in the day. We also used to watch the Canada Day fireworks from there as you could see across the traffic circle right to the waterfront. That is a fairly prominent corner and it's perched up high above Humphrey Brook so anything built there would have a nice view.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 4:38 PM

My view is similar to MonctonRad's, in that I don't see the heritage value here, even if I do love the look of this very cool building.
I know of John Leroux by reputation and respect his view but in my wildest imagination, I can't see it being used for any other purpose, either.
Sad to see it go, but I don't foresee an alternative.
PS I grew up just around the corner in the 1960s. Maybe I went sliding there with a young Sandbagger? Ya never know!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 5:09 PM

The last (and only) time I've been to this church was for a baptism maybe 5 years ago and while the outside is interesting, the inside is plain jane with nothing in there of heritage value...

I wonder if what they build will look like what is across the river from it, that is imo the nicest looking apartment complex in town.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2019, 2:08 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Render of what the old McLaughlin Drive fire station will look like once it is renovated into eight apartment units.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2019, 10:36 AM

I wonder why only eight units? This will be one of the smallest apartment buildings in the neighbourhood.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2019, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
I wonder why only eight units? This will be one of the smallest apartment buildings in the neighbourhood.
Lots of parking though! Looks like a retail store turn sideways!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2019, 3:07 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budyser View Post
Lots of parking though!
Don't forget that this will be part of a much larger development.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2019, 6:36 PM

I did forget.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 3:54 PM

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 9:56 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Previously reported in 2017, but the extent of land owned by the band is a little different than what I thought:

Actual reserve lands:

What I had thought they had purchased (outlined in red).

Also, I guess they recently also purchased 3.6 Ha on the north side of the TCH next to the Shell/Timmies service centre. This will be easier to develop than the south side land (easier access).

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 2:43 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Yet another Sushi place soon to open in the Elmwood drive area. Yanakee Sushi and BBQ restaurant is opening soon in the Elmwood Plaza.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 3:24 PM

Interesting. Do you know which spot it's taking?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces