HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 6:38 PM

OK, someone please convince me why this would be a bad idea. After traveling through the Dieppe "Dog Bone" at rush hour, I started wondering why the Moncton Traffic Circle had to be so large. Slow traffic down, increase safety and add a forth port of accessibility, straight from the TransCanada Highway through Elmwood.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 7:52 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Interesting David.

I recall about 4-5 years ago posting a similar drawing allowing for a fourth access point from Elmwood Drive too, but utilizing a standard diamond interchange rather than a reduced radius roundabout.

Not being a traffic engineer, I would be worried that a reduced radius roundabout would cause increased traffic congestion as lower speeds would be needed to enter into the roundabout than are necessary with the current traffic circle. I don't think commuters would be very pleased.

This isn't to say that the current traffic circle is perfect, but it does work reasonably well most of the time, mostly because the large radius gives drivers a few extra seconds to plan lane changing manoeuvres.

The biggest pet peeve I have with the current situation is the westbound on ramp from Lewisville/Paul onto Highway 11/15 just before it merges with the traffic circle. This situation is just plain dangerous and I tend to avoid it by simply continuing along Lewisville until I reach the signalized intersection at Lewisville/Botsford with Wheeler Blvd. Getting onto the 11/15 westbound here is much less dangerous.

I think this problem could easily be solved simply by extending the westbound on ramp further, along the outer circumference of the traffic circle, and making it an additional exit lane from the traffic circle onto Wheeler Blvd. By doing so, you eliminate any concerns with merging with high velocity traffic in a blind spot coming from Veterans Highway.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Not being a traffic engineer, I would be worried that a reduced radius roundabout would cause increased traffic congestion as lower speeds would be needed to enter into the roundabout than are necessary with the current traffic circle. I don't think commuters would be very pleased.
It would actually decrease congestion. Large rotaries are really only appropriate for highways with relatively low traffic volumes. Because people drive fast in the rotary, as traffic levels increase, it gets more difficult to enter the rotary and traffic backs up.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 10:22 AM
I have no Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
OK, someone please convince me why this would be a bad idea. After traveling through the Dieppe "Dog Bone" at rush hour, I started wondering why the Moncton Traffic Circle had to be so large. Slow traffic down, increase safety and add a forth port of accessibility, straight from the TransCanada Highway through Elmwood.

Also now that the houses are removed at the bottom of the old Shediac rd, an on and off ramp would make a lot more sense there than on the sides of the route 11 to Lewisville rd.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post

Quote:

Interesting David.

I recall about 4-5 years ago posting a similar drawing allowing for a fourth access point from Elmwood Drive too, but utilizing a standard diamond interchange rather than a reduced radius roundabout.

This isn't to say that the current traffic circle is perfect, but it does work reasonably well most of the time, mostly because the large radius gives drivers a few extra seconds to plan lane changing manoeuvres.

The biggest pet peeve I have with the current situation is the westbound on ramp from Lewisville/Paul onto Highway 11/15 just before it merges with the traffic circle. This situation is just plain dangerous and I tend to avoid it by simply continuing along Lewisville until I reach the signalized intersection at Lewisville/Botsford with Wheeler Blvd. Getting onto the 11/15 westbound here is much less dangerous.

I think this problem could easily be solved simply by extending the westbound on ramp further, along the outer circumference of the traffic circle, and making it an additional exit lane from the traffic circle onto Wheeler Blvd. By doing so, you eliminate any concerns with merging with high velocity traffic in a blind spot coming from Veterans Highway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
It would actually decrease congestion. Large rotaries are really only appropriate for highways with relatively low traffic volumes. Because people drive fast in the rotary, as traffic levels increase, it gets more difficult to enter the rotary and traffic backs up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie75 View Post
Also now that the houses are removed at the bottom of the old Shediac rd, an on and off ramp would make a lot more sense there than on the sides of the route 11 to Lewisville rd.
I do believe there was such a plan on the books a while back, and they stated that it would cut traffic from the following sections Elmwood into Dieppe(Instead of taking Lewisville Road) Main to Elmwood (Instead of taking Botsford Street, or Church) Dieppe to Elmwood (Similar to Main). Someone did bring up previously 2 issues. 1 Size of the roundabout, and 2 the way the roads would curved in. Someone had also approached with what I would call a Squid connection Coming North bound from Main right lane to Veteran's Memorial Highway(NB-15 East) Middle lane to Elmwood, and left lane to Wheeler Blvd.(NB-15 West)

Note: the second plan came with a south Bound Wheeler Blvd Bridge to
Riverview.

Secondary note: Looking into it further, and speaking to a few people I got 2 answers to why neither option seemed to be looked at in more detail.
1. Speed reduction with potential for accidents.
2. Price because of where it would be built.

Last edited by Scarface; Feb 5, 2019 at 6:34 AM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 4:07 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

The agenda for the February PAC meeting for the city of Moncton can be found here:

https://www.moncton.ca/lets-do-busin...sory-committee

A couple of interesting tidbits, but nothing spectacular.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 8:42 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Madame Mayor is teasing us........

From her FB page:

Quote:
Super interesting Thursday morning! Got caught up with the Tim Horton’s crowd (Mountain and Birchmount branch), discussing booting/towing, advocacy with the Federal government and parking at hospitals (I love dropping by different locations for random chats), had a briefing from staff (on a number of issues), met with a major developer to discuss some really big plans for the near future, met with a young entrepreneur about a very cool project he is presenting (we all need to go to Pink Flamingo!) and then, sat in on a Heritage Conservation Board meeting (Higgins Block and a development at 5 Pleasant St...congratulations to Councillor Paulette Theriault on chairing a contentious meeting). Lots happening in our city! #MonctonMomentum
I wonder if this has anything to do with the 4-5 developments rumoured or planned for the Avenir Centre neighbourhood........

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 9:06 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Immigration report for greater Moncton 2014-2018:

http://www5.moncton.ca/docs/immigrat...nal_report.pdf

Very lengthy but detailed and professionally prepared.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 11:42 AM

Imagine that, building a school on the outskirts makes it hard for people to stay for extracurricular activities.

Basically, now that the school is open, they are finding it hard to encourage kids to participate in after school activities because it's harder to get to the school or to leave it after the buses run.

One suggestion being proposed is to extend the Codiac Transport route to the school, which seems to be a no-brainer solution. Still, had MHS been built in the city in the first place that wouldn't have been needed in the first place. I'd hope that lesson would be remembered for the future, but I'm sure it won't be.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 11:56 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Everyone in the city thought building MHS where it is currently was completely daft. Everyone it is except for the provincial government of the day...........

This is one of the reasons why I intensely dislike centralized decision making. A distributed bureaucracy on the other hand will make decisions which are more community sensitive and logical to local concerns.

We're having similar problems in health care in the province right now. Trust me, I know..........

FWIW, I think it appropriate to extend city bus service to MHS. It would also service Royal Oaks and Barron Heights at the same time.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Imagine that, building a school on the outskirts makes it hard for people to stay for extracurricular activities.

Basically, now that the school is open, they are finding it hard to encourage kids to participate in after school activities because it's harder to get to the school or to leave it after the buses run.
How would this be different than a rural school where a lot of parents work outside of the community and a large portion of them would not live within walking distance either?

__

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 1:06 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBall View Post
How would this be different than a rural school where a lot of parents work outside of the community and a large portion of them would not live within walking distance either?

__
You're comparing apples to oranges. Moncton isn't a low density rural community. MHS was a central city high school relocated to the exurban fringe of the city, and suddenly, because of this, only about 2% of the student body lived within walking distance. The vast majority of the student body probably lives 7-10 km away from school. If you miss your school bus, you can be in big trouble, especially if your family doesn't have a car. After hour activities can be problematic for urban students in non car owning households, or if the car is needed by the parent for evening work shifts.

Urban communities have public transit systems. MHS was (formerly) an urban high school. MHS still serves an urban population (despite its location). Given this, MHS should be serviced by the public transit system.

Codiac Transit already serves Elmwood Drive as far as the Pine Tree Minihome subdivision. It would simply be a matter of extending the route several kms.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 10:44 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Map showing flood risk areas around Hall's Creek marsh:

SOS CF Champlain!!!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 1:02 AM

Quote:
You're comparing apples to oranges. Moncton isn't a low density rural community. MHS was a central city high school relocated to the exurban fringe of the city, and suddenly, because of this, only about 2% of the student body lived within walking distance. The vast majority of the student body probably lives 7-10 km away from school. If you miss your school bus, you can be in big trouble, especially if your family doesn't have a car. After hour activities can be problematic for urban students in non car owning households, or if the car is needed by the parent for evening work shifts.

Urban communities have public transit systems. MHS was (formerly) an urban high school. MHS still serves an urban population (despite its location). Given this, MHS should be serviced by the public transit system.

Codiac Transit already serves Elmwood Drive as far as the Pine Tree Minihome subdivision. It would simply be a matter of extending the route several kms.

If the province wants to build schools out in the forest, rten they can pay to bus students to and from it. It's not Moncton's mandate to fix the province's idiotic decisions. That job would never end.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 2:40 PM

Quote:

85% of the students were bused to Moncton High from places like Shediac before they moved it to the outskirts, so there was some logic behind the move. (yes, now its like 98%.)

On the topic of Codiac transit for high schools, I think all high school students within the city limits of Dieppe/Moncton/Riverview (or any other city with public transit) should only use public transit to get back and forth to school. Increased transit routes during peak times would help everyone and make pre- and post- school activities easier to access.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2019, 2:28 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Interesting article about development incentives in the greater Moncton area, and potential competition between the tri-cities.

In development quest, Moncton-area communities offer incentives to make the math work
Riverview added incentive program that proposed 10-storey towers may use
Shane Magee · CBC News · Posted: Apr 15, 2019 6:30 AM AT | Last Updated: 4 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...eppe-1.5093986

Quote:
"I wouldn't say there's really a competition," said Kevin Silliker, Moncton's director of economic development.

Ian Franklin, vice-president of commercial real estate firm Cushman & Wakefield Atlantic, (on the other hand) said there's "absolutely" competition for big developments.
Quote:
Franklin pointed to incentive programs all three communities now offer to attract development. Riverview launched its program last September.

"While there are no guarantees that financial incentives would spur more development in the town, the fact remains that economic development is a competitive landscape and that potential investors base their decisions mainly on the bottom line," a staff report to Riverview council says.

The program's launch followed three years of weaker-than-expected growth in (Riverview's) tax base. That led town council to cut $28 million from its 10-year capital budget in 2018.

Cordova Realty is proposing two 10-storey towers in Riverview the company estimates would be worth more than $30 million. (Submitted/Cordova Realty)

Quote:
(Riverview's) incentive program, based in part on Moncton's, provides a rebate over five or 10 years for significant projects based on a formula.
Quote:
Franklin said that without the incentives, projects might be smaller, which would result in a lower property value. He said rising building and infrastructure costs, as well as stricter development standards, have increased the financial risks of the early years of large development projects.

"Because the incentives are there, the developers may be able to push their budgets or make the projects more grand because they're getting help," Franklin said.
Quote:
Moncton council approved changes to its development incentive program last year to attract developments worth $10 million or more, which staff described as "city changing projects."

Silliker said the city knows of five projects in the works that could be eligible for the expanded program. Three are in a "high degree of readiness" to move ahead soon, he said last week.
Quote:
Franklin is involved with the Junction (Urban Village) through Cushman & Wakefield. It has had false starts, but "we'll have a project there this year," he said.

"I believe we'll be under construction with something."

He sees the new RCMP station on Albert Street leading to changes to that side of the tracks in the coming years.

Elsewhere, property records show developers have purchased large portions of downtown blocks in recent years, including along Highfield Street and the east end of Main Street.

Hyatt Place Hotel

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 9:58 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

City of Moncton press release:

Quote:
April 24, 2019

Building permit activity in first quarter on pace with previous years

MONCTON – The total value of permits for the first quarter ending March 31st came in at $26.4 million, up from $18.2 million during the same period last year. These values were represented by 130 permits (121 last year).

Commercial activity represented 61 per cent of the quarter’s total, coming in at $16.1 million. This included a $4.7 million expansion at Organigram and a $4.5 million garage to be built on Frenette Dr. for Wabash Canada.

Residential building permits came in with 3-month totals of $8.9 million, driven largely by a new $3.4 million apartment building on Diamond Head Court. Residential development saw a 148% increase over last year – thanks in part to the construction of new duplex units, in at $2.4 million for Q1 (18 units), which was zero at this time last year.

Institutional permits accounted for $1.1 million or 4 per cent of the quarter’s activity, with all of that coming from several renovation projects at schools and hospitals.

“We have a number of larger projects working their way through the planning process that should see continued growth, particularly in our Downtown”, said Kevin Silliker, Director of Economic Development, adding that “multi-res vacancy rates are much lower than they have been over the last few years, and commercial occupancy is trending upward, which bodes well for increased activity.”

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 6:25 PM

The city has published a list of Infrastructure Projects for this year.
Infrastructure Projects 2019

I'm in for lot of fun in my neck of the woods this summer (shediac road)

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs33 View Post
The city has published a list of Infrastructure Projects for this year.
Infrastructure Projects 2019

I'm in for lot of fun in my neck of the woods this summer (shediac road)
Let's hope they don't pave Elmwood and McLaughlin at the same time.

Same for Botsford/Church/Mountain/Archibald/Universite/Gordon.

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good2go View Post
Let's hope they don't pave Elmwood and McLaughlin at the same time.

Same for Botsford/Church/Mountain/Archibald/Universite/Gordon.
If you click on the project it will actually give you the time frame of the plan they are working on it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces