HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 3:24 AM
In the long run...

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Last time I was in New York for work I swear I saw this on every other finance bro in Manhattan. If you're not in a client-facing role, or don't have a meeting that day, it seems to be the standard. They're likely ordering a $10 coffee, and talking with their buddies about a video on barstool.

Turns out there's even an Instagram page called the Midtown Uniform

https://www.instagram.com/midtownuniform/

I don't see this getup very often at all in Toronto. Very hard to pinpoint a stereotype even in just the Financial Core here. I'll have to think about it.
All NY bankers wear those vests, and their institutions’ names are embossed on them.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 3:32 AM

Haha vests!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 3:36 AM

with the caveat of casey affleck being a piece of shit, this video does a good job of the stereotypical boston guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSvNhxKJJyU

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 4:06 AM

typical ass-whole of London, Ontario

wifp

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 6:53 AM

Admit it... that's you isn't it?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 11:11 AM
if I sang out of tune

https://secure.i.telegraph.co.uk

www.cvltnation.com

In reality the average London 'guy' is a woman in her thirties, brunette, middle class with an office job, White but with mixed ancestry. Owns a car but doesn't drive, lives in a high rent hovel in zone 3-4 and commutes over an hour to work.

If you're talking about the new generation she'll be mixed race or Black, will go to uni then follow all of the above.

Last edited by muppet; Mar 9, 2019 at 1:59 PM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 11:22 AM

Berlin

Start up guys

Inner district, working moms + kids

1. FC Union Berlin - football fans at a christmas party in a stadium

Last edited by Lear; Feb 23, 2019 at 12:32 PM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 2:11 PM

Stockholm, Sweden

A stereotypical Stockholm-male in the eyes of other Swedes would probably be someone living in a villa just outside of the inner-city (Bromma, Enskede, Lidingö) or in the inner-city where he most likely works as within PR or Advertisement . Votes for the Moderat-party on the economic right or or the "liberals" which economically is right, but a bit more "humane" when it comes to immigration for example (this stereotypical Stockholmer wants immigration as long as they dont live in his area).

He drives a hybrid or electrical car and claims to be environmental friendly because he recycles.

He is a bit of a sissy and un-manly in the eyes of others and has no problems with homosexuality.
Dressed metrosexual and "nice" and most likely has a beard (or an ironic moustasche). Walks around with a stroller while on "pappaledighet" and divides the time staying home with the kids equally with his wife.

Gladly pays 70 SEK (7 euros) for a coffee and does not want the city to build tall buildings because it would destroy our "skyline".

Göteborg/Gothenburg.

The stereotypical Gothenburg-male is a happy fellow who always cracks short jokes (dry humor called "göteborgsskämt").
He is working class and originally voted for the Socialdemocrats (economic mid-left).

He likes "Snus" and football and most likely drives a Volvo. Simple down to earth people.

Skåne
The typical Skåne-native (Southern-most part of Sweden) is loud and obnoxious according to some. He most likely votes for Sverigedemokraterna (The "racist" party according to some) and most likely is working class, but since things are cheaper down there, they can still afford most things.
Takes pride in being from Skåne. Stockholm wants to give back Skåne to Denmark (it was a part of Denmark some 350 years ago) and the Skåning has no problem with that, because of Denmarks more relaxed attitude towards Political correctness and cheap alcohol.

Norrland

Norrland is the northernmost part of Sweden. And although its huge, the rest of Sweden (especially Stockholmers) have no problem lumping them together as one.

The Norrlänning is the strong & silent type that likes winter sports such as skiing. Although most of the forrest and mining industries are located here, Stockholmers feel like this is a territory that doesnt contribute with anything and only costs Stockholmers tax-money.

Last edited by ilcapo; Feb 23, 2019 at 2:40 PM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 2:25 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lear View Post
Berlin

Start up guys

Inner district, working moms + kids

1. FC Union Berlin - football fans at a christmas party in a stadium

Just showing random pics of groups of people in your city really isn’t the point of this thread

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 2:27 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post
I buy all of them except this one

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 3:53 PM

boisebro's post works for bend oregon. i think because oregon and idaho are basically california.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 5:32 PM

portland is looking more like a patagonia catalog these days than a portlandia episode. low rent hipsters got priced out and more tech savvy hipsters replaced them. goofy facial hair is trying so hard to stay relevant though. im seeing lots of 90's streetwear too on the younger folks.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 6:13 PM

That was fascinating ilcapo.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 7:07 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Tampere Finland

Los Angeles

Berlin, Germany

London, UK

Paris France

San Francisco

Portland, OR

New York City

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Hmm, Los Angeles... a city of transplants loaded with natives, or a city of natives loaded with transplants---take your pick.

Whether you think these stereotypes are accurate/inaccurate/outdated, I've met some of them: The struggling actor. The struggling musician. The surfer. There's also the struggling artist; I know a guy from the Bay Area who now lives in LA and gets commissioned to paint murals on the sides of buildings. For a day job, he works retail.

This might not be stereotypical of all of LA, but then there's also the New Age woman who's into crystals, and lives in Venice (I've met someone like that too). And of course back in the 80s, there was the white chick named Debbie who spoke with a Valley Girl accent.

But when I think of modern/contemporary/early 21st Century Los Angeles, I think of young people who look like this:

Mostly Latinos with the token few everything else.
How those are outdated? The people trying to get into entertainment are EVERYWHERE. You have to be in far flung sections of the city to not see/run into them. They're even in Van Nuys for God's sake.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Admit it... that's you isn't it?

Nope. I am probably twice his age and my car is 3 times smaller. No tats, no goatee, no ballcap, no truck. 30 pounts lighter, at least.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 8:18 PM
is a loser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Hill View Post
Ah, well that explains it. Denver must have been invaded by hordes of people from Flagstaff.
I think the opposite might be true, but I'm pretty sure both Denver and Flagstaff, to the extent that either could ever be compared objectively on the same level (they're not, Flagstaff is a playground for rich Phoenicians who own summer homes and like to snowboard and Denver is a bustling metropolis), share a mutual hatred of California transplants?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 8:32 PM

I don't even know how to describe Ottawa.

There is a strong element of rural around Ottawa, so you have"Clifford from Ottawa valley".who says "gidday lads" to everyone.Next ,you have the Quebec/Gatineau influence .One stereotype for the guy fro mthe Gatnieau side could be an almost metis looking fellow with jet black hair, a thin mustache wearing denim jeans and a white open dress shirt with no tie chewing a tooth pick. Almost an old Charles Bronson lookalike. Finally, there's a strong element of white collar high tech and government office workers. Metros.

I guess Stockholm guy meets London Ontario guy may sum it up..A mish mash of the two..Ottawa is a tough one I think. Maybe someone else on here would have a good all around description of "that guy".

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 9:18 PM

1. Coked-up Wall Street douche bro
2. Chelsea muscle queen (I was one before I got older, [a little] softer and moved to actual Queens)
3. Williamsburg skinny-jean, Warby Parker-wearing scruffy hipster

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 11:23 PM

Street Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
San Francisco

Both the guy and all the people standing around having fun watching (especially the videographer who says, "This guy is making my Monday").

Video Link

And the crazy dude looks familiar--think I've actually seen him doing his thing.

Check out when he plops down at an occupied table and the occupant doesn't take his eyes from his cellphone until the freak starts throwing chairs--a true San Franciscan, he.
Looks contrived and manic. Maybe performance art, an artist/actor posing as a homeless person doing eveything people expect them to do? Clothes soaked with urine and sweat and who knows what else. Arms waving. Stealing food. Inarticulate grunts. Could be fake homeless news. Camera person was right there at the right time to film the performance and post a viral video. Fake news? Paul Blart mall cop fell for it though. Video could also stand in for L.A. and San Diego as well as SF. See this kind of thing every day.

Last edited by CaliNative; Feb 23, 2019 at 11:35 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions