HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 1:55 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Finding Housing in Halifax

Hi All:
I could be moving to Halifax for work next week. My workplace’s behind Citadel, so does anyone know of cheap housing (preferably less than $800/month, but cap’s $1000/month) with on-suite parking in the nearby area? Thank you.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 4:13 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

You might have better luck with this in the Halifax sub forum. I don’t find too many Haligonians venturing into the general Atlantic forum

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 4:17 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
You might have better luck with this in the Halifax sub forum. I don’t find too many Haligonians venturing into the general Atlantic forum
Initially I decided to post it here because I never really interacted with anyone in that subforum, but if the moderator wanna move the thread, feel free.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 5:41 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Hi All:
I could be moving to Halifax for work next week. My workplace’s behind Citadel, so does anyone know of cheap housing (preferably less than $800/month, but cap’s $1000/month) with on-suite parking in the nearby area? Thank you.
I think it's pretty safe to say that if any of us knew of a place like that we'd already be living in it. My god that sounds amazing.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 5:53 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I think it's pretty safe to say that if any of us knew of a place like that we'd already be living in it. My god that sounds amazing.
I forgot to say I’m looking at renting a place. What’s the average price like then?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 2:16 PM

Depending on your lifestyle/how long you plan on staying in the city, look on Kijiji under shared apartments. Obviously this only works if you're okay with that setup. Which is about the only way I could imagine you finding anything in your price range within the core of the city.

But you're going to be hard up finding your price range within the city, aif you look at long term rentals on Airbnb, the prices don't drop down to 800-1000 until Lower Sackville area.

So yeah, you're in real trouble when it comes to getting anything reasonable, especially on short notice. But the good thing is you'll have a car, so look for a place in the suburbs and just deal with the traffic coming in.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 9:39 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB_ExistsToo View Post
Depending on your lifestyle/how long you plan on staying in the city, look on Kijiji under shared apartments. Obviously this only works if you're okay with that setup. Which is about the only way I could imagine you finding anything in your price range within the core of the city.

But you're going to be hard up finding your price range within the city, aif you look at long term rentals on Airbnb, the prices don't drop down to 800-1000 until Lower Sackville area.

So yeah, you're in real trouble when it comes to getting anything reasonable, especially on short notice. But the good thing is you'll have a car, so look for a place in the suburbs and just deal with the traffic coming in.
Darn I was hoping to be able to switch back to the bussing life.

I can’t believe I may actually have to resort to living in Sackville.

But thanks.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 9:54 PM
Volatile Pacivist

There may be some exceptions in Dartmouth though. I think you can find something closer than Sackville in your price range for an ok place (not "nice" mind you, but ok) if you put some time effort into searching, although if you're in a hurry that definitely works against you. But not somewhere decent in central Halifax.

My former room mate moved to Dartmouth to save money after paying after paying nearly $600 for half of an "ok" two bedroom a 15 minute walk from downtown over a decade ago.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 10:11 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

What’s the usual price for rental then? $1.5K ~ $2K per month? Please, please, please don’t tell me the rental market in Halifax is as bad (or ridiculous, should I say) as the one in Vancouver. I’ll be very disappointed in that case.

And $600 for half of 2 bedrooms? If it’s spacious, it’s actually not that bad at all.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 10:31 PM
Volatile Pacivist

The rents definitely aren't as high as Vancouver but they're high relative to what one might expect from the Maritimes. But I think if you're satisfied with not having a place on the peninsula you should be fine. The entire peninsula isn't Clayton Park, Fairview, Armdale, inner Dartmouth etc. will have some good options in that price range. Or at least the part of the peninsula out toward the West end and the malls, although they'd be tougher to find.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 10:40 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I’ll for sure keep that in mind. Thanks.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 4:21 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I'd just look on a site like Kijiji.

There is such a range in what's available for housing. There are apartments on there in walkups on the peninsula for $850 a month. The $2000 a month places are generally going to be luxury type buildings, the equivalent of living in a $3500+ a month place in Vancouver.

If your employer is west of the Citadel you could live in more affordable parts of the West End, North End, or even mainland Halifax and your commute would be fine (like... 10-15 mins or maybe a 20-30 minute walk).

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 4:42 AM

I'm currently renting a 2-br flat in a North End townhouse (~20 min walk or 5 min drive from Downtown), works out to be about $1000/mth with utilities. Parking isn't included but you can get a pass to park on the street outside for something like $30/year. It's quite a good deal for the area but you could probably find small 1-br's or bachelors in the 600-800 range in various parts of the Peninsula, especially in converted houses/basement apartments, walkups and commie-block-era buildings. If you can't find anything in your price range on the Peninsula the next places I'd suggest would be Downtown/Central Dartmouth, Armdale/Cowie Hill, Fairview, Clayton Park. And if not those then Spryfield, Bedford, elsewhere in Dartmouth. There's really no reason to live in Sackville unless you want to.

The flip side is that Sackville is better served by BRT/express bus service than most parts of HRM so transit can actually be a bit more practical there than it would look at first sight.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces