HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Suburbs and the State of Oregon

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 10:30 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
Not one but two 7-story parking garages? Quick, someone call Prosper Portland!

Oh wait... wrong city. /s
Does that mean Beaverton's tallest building is a parking garage? Yeah, that seems accurate.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2018, 2:42 AM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Does that mean Beaverton's tallest building is a parking garage? Yeah, that seems accurate.
So negative.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 5:26 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
So negative.
Personally I would like to see Beaverton get some height to its buildings and be more like a Bellevue type city to Portland.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Personally I would like to see Beaverton get some height to its buildings and be more like a Bellevue type city to Portland.
Vancouver will fill that role. It is across a body of water and has a existing, decent downtown. Additionally, considering their waterfront development and continuing investments in their downtown it definitely seems to be heading that direction.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 6:06 PM
Registered Ugly

Downtown Beaverton will become more urban. We’re seeing it now. Why people still choose to live in east county and make that crappy commute vs from downtown Beaverton is beyond me. It’s literally a 20 minute Max ride if you work downtown.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 12:14 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebettin View Post
Vancouver will fill that role. It is across a body of water and has a existing, decent downtown. Additionally, considering their waterfront development and continuing investments in their downtown it definitely seems to be heading that direction.
That is possible, especially if Vancouver finally gets on board with light rail and expands it across the river. I do like what the city has been doing with the riverfront development, I just don't think it is enough to become an attractive satellite city for a "Bellevue type" downtown without light rail.

Beaverton on the other hand already has a light rail connection, though the Westside could definitely use a few more rail lines. Plus the Westside is already well connected to a number of tech companies, something Beaverton should try to expand on by building up in their downtown.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 1:19 AM

Vancouver will definitely continue to grow, it just probably won’t be up. Not because it’s not capable of doing so, but I’m sure there’s height restrictions there due to PDX and Pearson Field.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 7:36 PM

Beaverton is primed to upzone areas near Max very soon (and potentially other areas of the core as well). We've been working with the city on a rezoning/re-imagining of downtown Beaverton and expect significant changes to come before the city council soon.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 8:37 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxg8r1 View Post
Beaverton is primed to upzone areas near Max very soon (and potentially other areas of the core as well). We've been working with the city on a rezoning/re-imagining of downtown Beaverton and expect significant changes to come before the city council soon.

I think the Downtown Design Project went before the city council this week?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
I think the Downtown Design Project went before the city council this week?
Indeed, apparently it went before the Council on Oct 9th. (I've been out of town recently so wasn't at the meeting)

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 1:56 PM

Beaverton is finally crawling out of its shell and will be the focus of tremendous change. See link to Downtown Design Project.

https://www.beavertonoregon.gov/downtowndesign

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 10:54 PM

Intel announced their plans to do an expansion in Hillsboro as well as other areas (Isreal/Ireland).

https://www.oregonlive.com/silicon-f...and-grows.html

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/...n-capital.aspx

Quote:
Beyond that, the Kelleher stated the following: "Looking ahead, we are now in the early planning phase for manufacturing site expansions in Oregon, Ireland, and Israel, with multi-year construction activities expected to begin in 2019."

I've been hearing rumors for awhile that Intel had been planning a major new project in Hillsboro. However, recently I've heard that has been potentially back burnered. Therefore, maybe this is something else.

I suspect the back burnered project is for the next generation fab which would be a huge project and that the project that will start in 2019 is a continuation of the D1X build out as Intel got caught flat footed with lack of capacity on some of their chips from my understanding. Just speculation, but either way looks to be a substantial project coming to Hillsboro in 2019.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 12:14 AM

Do you have any sources for those rumors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunya View Post
Intel announced their plans to do an expansion in Hillsboro as well as other areas (Isreal/Ireland).

https://www.oregonlive.com/silicon-f...and-grows.html

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/...n-capital.aspx

I've been hearing rumors for awhile that Intel had been planning a major new project in Hillsboro. However, recently I've heard that has been potentially back burnered. Therefore, maybe this is something else.

I suspect the back burnered project is for the next generation fab which would be a huge project and that the project that will start in 2019 is a continuation of the D1X build out as Intel got caught flat footed with lack of capacity on some of their chips from my understanding. Just speculation, but either way looks to be a substantial project coming to Hillsboro in 2019.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 12:53 AM

An article posted PBJ 12/17 (paywall)

Intel expanding fabs in Oregon, Ireland, Israel

https://www.bizjournals.com/portland...nd-israel.html

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 9:38 PM

Some more smoke regarding Intel's next project out in Hillsboro.

https://www.oregonlive.com/silicon-f...n-factory.html

Doesn't really give any more details than what my speculation was above. It's also likely based upon the same types of sources; it's pretty easy to infer from the article where the information is coming from. I bet once they name a new CEO they will make formal announcements so probably within a month if I had to guess.

My understanding is that this might not have been totaly unrelated to the above:

https://www.forestgrove-or.gov/econd...t-forest-grove

Genentech is also planning an expansion in Hillsboro to their existing campus. Plans for two new buildings to be built in phases.

Edit: Found the info on Genentech's proposed expansion: https://www.hillsboro-oregon.gov/hom...ument?id=21960

Quote:
Phase I will be approximately 130,000 square feet and Phase II will add approximately 135,000 square feet.

Last edited by Nunya; Jan 21, 2019 at 10:37 PM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 11:16 PM

(subscription required) https://www.bizjournals.com/portland...223&j=86541951

Quote:
Intel expansion may result in nearly 1,750 new jobs in Hillsboro
By Malia Spencer – Staff Reporter, Portland Business Journal
Feb 7, 2019, 2:22pm PST Updated 40 minutes ago

Intel Corp’s preliminary application to the city of Hillsboro to expand one of its manufacturing facilities indicates the California chipmaker could accommodate 800 employees.

The application further indicated the chip giant expects total employment at Ronler Acres to jump by 12 percent or 1,748 by 2021. The company, one of Oregon’s largest private employers, already has more than 20,000 workers across four campuses in Washington County.
...(continues)

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 11:22 PM

Can we get some updates of the Nike Campus expansion? Is Skylab's building nearing completion? I've seen SRG's and ZGF's buildings complete now.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 11:37 PM

https://pamplinmedia.com/bvt/15-news...retail-project

Quote:
Hilton Home2 Suites will offer 89 extended-stay rooms at northeast corner of NW Barnes Road and 118th Avenue;

Old Posted Jul 20, 2019, 1:42 AM
Registered Ugly

There’s actually an unreal amount of development happening on the west side. Very under represented on this forum.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2019, 3:49 AM

"Skyscraper Page"

Many buildings over 4 stories?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Suburbs and the State of Oregon