HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 7:17 PM

Drawings [10 MB]. Going in front of the Landmarks Commission for design advice on 4/9.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 10:46 PM

Is there a provision for public access through the pavilion, to replace the current path? I don't see it, am I missing something?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 6:31 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

I don't think there are any plans to replace the current path.

I'll miss it when it's gone, but that path isn't essential. It only goes one more block from there, to SW 11th.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2018, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnliu View Post
Is there a provision for public access through the pavilion, to replace the current path? I don't see it, am I missing something?
It's not a traditional path, but the museum will allow public access through the first floor throughout the day. One must open a couple doors to get through, which will be accessible. It's not a biggie either way. The architecture seems a bit subdued to me, which may be appropriate. I'm not the best judge..

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 7:41 PM

DAR #2 Drawings [30 MB]

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 10:55 PM

Glad to see they found a solution for vacated street's bicycle/ped access. Seemed to be the only objection to the project.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 5:43 AM
A before E

This addition to connect the two buildings looks fantastic, and I enjoy their solution for whiner's alley. It still blows my mind that anyone would whine about these two buildings being connected together when Portland has such small blocks and Madison doesn't even continue westward. So it isn't like it is a major connection for a continued walkway of any kind; it literally ends at 11th.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 5:04 PM

It is a good pedestrian connection to keep for access from the Streetcar stops to the west to the park. It is historically a public right-of-way, so some public through access makes sense. Was the vacated public space donated to the museum or are they leasing it?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Portland Art Museum redesigns Rothko Pavilion addition with pedestrian passthrough

Architects for the Portland Art Museum have redesigned a proposed addition, the Rothko Pavilion, to preserve open passage between the two existing gallery buildings. The plans originally called for fully enclosing an open mall between the buildings. The three-story pavilion will house major Rothko paintings that will be loaned by the artist's children, Christopher Rothko and Kate Rothko Prizel, on a rotating basis during a 20-year partnership. The architects for the addition are Vinci Hamp Architects and Hennebery Eddy Architects.

...continues at the Oregonian.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 6:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
...continues at the Oregonian.
That looks better than I was expecting.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Brian Ferriso and Tim Eddy discuss the Portland Art Museum’s updated Rothko Pavilion design

BY BRIAN LIBBY

Last month, as part of a presentation to the City of Portland’s Historic Landmarks Commission, the Portland Art Museum unveiled a revised design for its Rothko Pavilion, the glass-enclosed space that will connect the museum's original 1932 Belluschi Building with the circa-1925 Mark Building to the south.

The design seems to solve what had been a conundrum and a controversy. When the Rothko Pavilion renderings were first unveiled in 2016, members of the public had expressed opposition to how it would take the place of a public right-of-way. The museum sits on a super-block, and last year a City Council vote granted the right to enclose the public right of way.

Yet in this revised design, created by Chicago firm Vinci Hamp in partnership with Portland firm Hennebery Eddy Architects (the latter of which joined the project earlier this year), there is a passageway for cyclists that dips underneath the Rothko Pavilion, while a half-stairway inside allows museum-goers to still pass from one building to the other without venturing back outside or underground.
...continues at Portland Architecture.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 7:09 PM

DAR #3 drawings [178 MB]

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 6:14 AM

Drawings [354 MB] and Staff Report. Project was approved today by a unanimous vote of the HLC.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 12:11 AM

https://www.opb.org/news/article/por...on-10-million/

Quote:
Portland Art Museum Receives $10 Million From Philanthropist Arlene Schnitzer
by Donald Orr OPB Jan. 22, 2020 7:15 a.m. | Portland, Ore.

The Portland Art Museum announced Tuesday a $10 million gift from philanthropist Arlene Schnitzer – the largest contribution ever from an individual donor in the museum’s 127-year history.

Brian Ferriso, director and chief curator for the museum, said the gift will help shape the future of the Portland arts community.

“This extraordinary gift is a profound investment in our role as Portland’s museum for art and film, but also in the future of the arts in our region,” Ferriso said in a statement.

Schnitzer’s gift supports the museum’s ongoing “Connections Campaign” intended to bring together the two buildings on its campus through the new Mark Rothko Pavilion. Named after the famous 20th-century painter who grew up in Portland, the museum aims to use the pavilion to improve public access and bolster its endowment through the campaign.

“The pavilion will allow for us to have any person or anybody enter at the same location, [and] move through our facilities in any way they’re able to,” Ferriso said. “It’s connecting us not only to the city, but building to building, people to art and people to people.”
...(continues)

Old Posted Oct 10, 2022, 4:26 PM

Permits were issued last week for the Rothko Pavilion addition to the art museum.

Quote:
Addition and renovation at the Portland Art Museum for the new Rothko Pavilion located in the existing courtyard passage between the Main Art Museum Building and and the Mark Building (w/ 19-258857-MT)

Old Posted Feb 15, 2023, 8:48 PM

Article from last month:

Quote:
Portland Art Museum starts work on Rothko Pavilion

The Portland Art Museum has begun work on a significant expansion and renovation project that is set to be completed in 2025.

The museum has begun moving its loading dock from its current position, in the courtyard just left of the gift shop entrance, to the blank wall of the Southwest Jefferson Street side of the museum.

The Rothko Pavilion, a new glassed-in entrance hall and gallery that will take up space now used as the courtyard and loading dock, has been in the planning stages for a decade. The pavilion will add 95,000 square feet of new or renovated space, connecting the museum’s historic Main and Mark buildings. The expansion will also include new state-of-the-art exhibition galleries, elevators, public gathering spaces and restrooms.

In a media release the museum said the relocation of the loading dock is being carried out to prioritize the comfort and safety of visitors, including school tours, and will make the museum more accessible to all. The new loading dock designed to minimize the impact on traffic flow in the surrounding area.
...continues at the Portland Tribune.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 4:31 AM

I remember getting to see the original design model in the director's(?) office about ten years ago. Now that would've been a radical new design for Portland.

It will be interesting to see how the whole vibe around the museum changes once the courtyard is filled in. Hopefully this helps provide greater activation for the Park Blocks.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2023, 6:50 AM

Quote:
Framing the Rothko Pavilion

The Portland Art Museum's redesigned, glass-ensconced addition, due to open in summer 2025, will make viewing easier and could be a boon to an ailing downtown.

Design rendition of the Rothko Pavilion looking east from the Eliot Tower Condominiums on Southwest 10th Avenue: The glassed-in pavilion, connecting the Portland Art Museum’s north and south buildings, is expected to be completed in Summer 2025. All design renderings by Hennebery Eddy Architects and Vinci Hamp Architects, courtesy of Portland Art Museum.

By the time the invited crowd of Portland Art Museum patrons and donors had gathered in the Mark Building’s ballroom on May 24 for the Mark Rothko Pavilion redesign unveiling, the museum’s director, Brian Ferriso, was more than ready to make his pitch. This wasn’t just about connecting two buildings or adding exhibit space, he argued, but writing a new chapter: for the museum, the city and more. And with construction of a new loading dock along PAM’s southern edge already under way, there was no better time to charm the check-writers.

“I’m going to give you 500 years of art history,” Ferriso said with a smile, “in two minutes.” It took a little longer than that, but he indeed set the table for PAM’s upcoming expansion as the kind of game-changer that not just the museum itself but the broader city needs, as well as a reflection of how art museums worldwide are evolving.

In the beginning, Ferriso told the audience, there were 18th Century institutions in palatial buildings of classical and traditional architecture like London’s British Museum (1753) and Paris’s Louvre (1793). Admittedly, their collections were born from colonial appropriation. Yet these institutions inspired America’s first art museum: the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts in Philadelphia (1805). “It was about enlightenment, and bringing all these different cabinets of curiosities into a single place,” Ferriso said.

Although the Louvre was originally a 13th Century castle and its collection belonged to Louis XIV, that museum is particularly key to the Rothko Pavilion narrative — not the original architecture, but its iconic 1983 architectural addition by architect I.M. Pei: a pyramid-shaped glass entry leading to (and illuminating) a new underground ticketing area. Pei’s pyramid gave the Louvre a contemporary sense of transparency and accessibility. Yet in its relatively modest scale—not a building so much as a lightwell and a downward escalator—the pyramid ceded the lead architectural role to the original.
...continues at Oregon ArtsWatch.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Portland Art Museum Announces Renovation Will Be Done in Late 2025

The Portland Art Museum announced today that its campus expansion and renovation project will be open to the public in late 2025. That timeline is on track with what PAM has been telling patrons since the renovation broke ground more than a year ago.

The project centers on the creation of a new 24,000-square-foot Mark Rothko Pavilion, named after the late renowned abstract expressionist painter who spent his childhood in Portland. (The pavilion overcame a snag early on, when the museum raised money for the project before getting legal permission for the construction.)

This will provide a new “transparent, welcoming ‘front door’ to the museum,” as the glass pavilion will connect the museum’s two historic Main and Mark buildings, according to PAM. Upon completion of the expansion and renovation, visitors will notice completely reinstalled galleries; new, more intuitive pathways; and increased visibility for its Native American and contemporary art collections; and the library and research center will move to the first floor of the Mark Building. The interior of PAM’s Whitsell Auditorium will get a face-lift, and there will be a new cafe and expanded store.
Read more at Willamette Week...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment