HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
lol at Boston's "Combat Zone", I've heard that phrase a couple times over the years. WTF did that spring from anyhow?
It was pretty rough. I got mugged by two tranny hookers there one night walking back to my hotel from a club called Buddy's.

Buddy's was fire bombed a couple of years later. It was a lovely little area back in the day.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 8:18 PM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
How was Seattle being the center of the US music scene in the early 90's viewed by Seattlites at the time? I'm sure it brought loads of 18-24 year olds hoping to make it big.
The general vibe among fans was hating the big companies that showed up to try to make money, from record companies to department store chains that were suddenly selling brand new cut-up shirts and so on, really awkwardly.

I wasn't into that type of music despite being at the right age. But being an SSP/booster type it was fun watching Seattle get the attention.

It probably did help with the inflow of young people. Seattle has always been sort of like that but it probably heightened a bit. The "brand" hasn't left since. It feels similar to Portland's reputation, but for people who aren't ready to "retire" during college, particularly since our rents are higher.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 8:21 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Seattle is notable for the short-lived use of grunge slang in the 1990s:

bloated, big bag of bloatation – drunk
bound-and-hagged – staying home on Friday or Saturday night
cob nobbler – loser
dish – desirable guy
double dishing - when two desirable guys show up at the same party
fuzz – heavy wool sweaters
harsh realm – bummer
kickers – heavy boots
lamestain – uncool person
plats – platform shoes
rock on – a happy goodbye
score – great
swingin' on the flippity-flop – hanging out
tom-tom club – uncool outsiders
wack slacks – old ripped jeans
trash gash - female who is easy to sleep with

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 8:35 PM
Never Dell

More likely that was what someone's group of friends came up with. Most of that never hit mainstream. Or like "dish" it was already mainstream.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 8:39 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

^ it was all actually a prank pulled by a Sub-Pop employee on a NY Times journalist.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
lol at Boston's "Combat Zone", I've heard that phrase a couple times over the years. WTF did that spring from anyhow?
I seem to remember it having something to do with factories supplying military uniforms but wikipedia has this:

Quote:
The name "Combat Zone" was popularized through a series of exposé articles written by Jean Cole on the area published in the 1960s in the Boston Record-American newspaper. The name had a double meaning in that it was an area known for crime and violence, but also in that many soldiers and sailors on shore leave would frequent the many strip clubs and brothels in uniform giving the streets an appearance of a war zone.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 9:03 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

The 90s were a rather unprosperous decade in Canada. In Toronto, there were a few major developments early on in the decade - the Skydome, Metro Hall, a couple Calatrava projects - but things were pretty dry until the current boom started in the early 00s. The murder rate peaked in 1994. Racial tensions started to reach a breaking point. Political partisanship stifled transit expansion & major civic projects. By our standards, it was a little bleak. The inner city was growing again at least after a few decades of decline, albeit slowly.

I was just a kid through the 90s, but even then, the amount of abandoned warehouses everywhere feature prominently in my memory. There were entire neighbourhoods that were abandoned, like the now skyscraper-filled Liberty Village and Entertainment District. Those same warehouses however gave rise the nascent arts, music, media, nightlife, and entertainment industries and fostered the colossal rave scene that existed at the time. By the close of the decade, many had been repurposed into clubs and offices catering to the rising tech industry.

I'll leave the rest to pictures: (there's some 70s & 80s in here too)

And then, of course, it wouldn't be 90s Toronto without Electric Circus.

Video Link

More in music & video:

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 9:22 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

1990's Pittsburgh, Pa was an urban paradise with unicorns and rainbows and dense street walls. Then Y2K came and the computers turned on their masters and tore down entire neighborhoods and proliferated suburban sprawl.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
The general vibe among fans was hating the big companies that showed up to try to make money, from record companies to department store chains that were suddenly selling brand new cut-up shirts and so on, really awkwardly.

I wasn't into that type of music despite being at the right age. But being an SSP/booster type it was fun watching Seattle get the attention.

It probably did help with the inflow of young people. Seattle has always been sort of like that but it probably heightened a bit. The "brand" hasn't left since. It feels similar to Portland's reputation, but for people who aren't ready to "retire" during college, particularly since our rents are higher.
^^^i think even the heady days of kid retirement are starting to dwindle down here also. that little economic speed bump sent some folks packing and kind of tightened up the job market a bit. new refugees probably have a better resume then their predecessors ten or 15 years ago. rent is getting big city like too. in 1997, i lived on the park blocks in a nice, new 6 story walk up in downtown portland, 600 sq ft, $545 in rent. in some ways im glad portland is starting to grow up, but the diy, cheapo, blue collar dream is starting to fade. it might still be alive up in st. johns though. portland had a robust techno and rave scene/club scene in the late 90's. i kind of miss that.

Last edited by pdxtex; Sep 5, 2014 at 9:37 PM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 9:40 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
^^^i think even the heady days of kid retirement are starting to dwindle down here also. that little economic speed bump sent some folks packing and kind of tightened up the job market a bit. new refugees probably have a better resume then their predecessors ten or 15 years ago. rent is getting big city like too. in 1997, i lived on the park blocks in a nice, new 6 story walk up in downtown portland, 600 sq ft, $545 in rent. in some ways im glad portland is starting to grow up, but the diy, cheapo, blue collar dream is starting to fade. it might still be alive up in st. johns though. portland had a robust techno and rave scene/club scene in the late 90's. i kind of miss that.

But if you force all your young adults out of retirement, what will they do for a living? It's not like they can work for a living... That's so cliché.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 9:43 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Did everyone in austin look like this in the 1990s?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 9:56 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Based on forumers responses it sounds like many if not most American cities were in bad shape in the 90's probably from a decade or more of crack ravaging the city cores.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 10:11 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Don't think it was crack as much as abandonment and out-of-town investment focus in many cities.

Check out Bangor, Maine. What excuse does that city have not to have a vibrant core? No crack, no crime. The answer lies right outside of town: a massive complex of 70s-fabulous shopping malls and strip centers where the average Bangorian (from what I could tell sitting in traffic there) spends a lot of time.

It's only now that the city is starting to reposition itself (some bars in the city, hoppy brews, beards, art museum, shops etc). A shame really, as the traffic to Bar Harbor/Acadia goes through Bangor airport and the city could have looked like Newport RI if it had been more forward thinking.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
But if you force all your young adults out of retirement, what will they do for a living? It's not like they can work for a living... That's so cliché.
i know. its uncalled for. college graduates working, and well, graduating!! at least they are doing that. its was like the S.S. Art School Dropout sank and everybody washed up on shore for awhile. Honestly, its a smarter more urban centric hipster thats showing up now. Portland looked like a big party town for the last half of the 90s and first half of the 2000's. Its still a good time but people are far more seriuos about contributing to the local scene instead of just roaming the streets like pbr swilling, goodwill clad zombies (i hear they all showed up in austin though!!)

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 10:23 PM

Chicago - Lakeview

(reversed in scanning)

In 1988 the BIG change came ......

Last edited by harryc; Sep 5, 2014 at 10:38 PM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 11:00 PM

Atlanta saw one of its largest building and population booms ever with the Olympics announcement of 1990. Some of the city's tallest buildings were constructed in the early 90s and projects like Centennial Olympic Park and a massive downtown cleanup along with infill and transit extensions resulted in a made-over city by 1996. The boom continued until around 2007 and the recession, but has again picked up with a massive infill residential explosion. I would say that the 90s were one of the best decades for Atlanta.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2014, 12:47 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

The San Francisco I moved to in 1992 was less populous, less wealthy, cheaper, grungier, more criminal, but also more politically radical, counter-cultural and quirky. It was then the "Left Coast City" that still lingers in certain corners of the public mind.

That San Francisco was about 85% as populous as today's city, and it showed. Much of the city was fairly quiet. People didn't honk their horns then--I remember how odd that seemed to someone who had recently lived in Boston where everyone honked all the time. Rents were a pittance compared to today, but were still high relative to other cities I'd been living in. I took a big studio at Taylor and Geary for $785 a month so I could walk to work. Hookers plied the sidewalks at night and were very aggressive, even threatening. A large hotel on the corner sat dark and shuttered, as were several other shopfronts. There was a used record store on Geary a block and a half from Union Square. There were used book stores on a very sketchy Powell Street near the turnaround. There were no chain stores like Walgreens in the area, only local mini-markets.

A year later I moved to a quasi ghetto area, Hayes Valley, just a few dozen feet from the double-decker freeway under which even more desperate hookers and crack dealers plied their trade. The nearest occupied commercial storefront was a Black Muslim fish and chips shop that played Louis Farrakhan videos nonstop on the wall-mounted television. On weekends, the suited and bowtied gentlemen blocked off the sidewalk in front of their establishment and did not allow whites to walk on it. That was on Octavia Street (the "Boulevard" came much later, after the freeway was torn down) at Page, in what is today one of the most expensive and precious neighborhoods in the entire city.

I would walk South of Market on weekend nights with my friends to discover where the party was--rave parties. Usually there would be some girl dancing on a streetcorner, all dolled up, who would hand you a map to the party if you seemed like you knew what was going on. Warehouses, shops, even a Catholic girls' school gymnasium--all the parties were illegal and almost always eventually got busted. People really did take ecstasy (which was called "E" and never called "X") and when the parties didn't get busted they would last until sun up. That's why we brought our sunglasses. A local television station did a well-publicized "reefer madness" kind of report on the Bay Area rave scene--forgettable, except for their estimate that there were 30,000 people raving in the Bay Area at any given time between Friday night and Monday morning. Sundays on Lower Haight Street there were so many flannel-clad kids searching for a caffeine buzz and some weed that the crowds spilled into traffic. Many would eventually filter into Golden Gate Park to enjoy the weekly Sunday afternoon outdoor rave. And there were a shit-ton of bands, everywhere. Everybody and their brother had a band, and a flier for you!

The gay scene was diffused--the Tenderloin (tourists and old men), Polk Street (hustlers, middle aged men), South of Market (the "leather community" and a ton of sex clubs), the Bitchy Castro (twinks first, twinks second, twinks only), Valencia Street (lesbians). Bears hadn't yet established themselves, although they had a 'zine and an attitude about what they called "body fascism."

Local politics? Truly the conservative nightmare. There was the left and then there was the hard left, and they battled over control of city government. There were rumors of a bomb factory somewhere in the Inner Mission. Someone scaled the US Armory and painted "REVOLUTION" atop its 14th Street facade--the letters had to be eight feet high. It could be seen for blocks and lasted well into the decade.

That San Francisco was restive. There were protests almost daily, some of which grew past 100,000 people as with the Gulf War protests (which I attended while still living in the suburbs). We had a couple days of riots after the LAPD/Rodney King decision that included broken windows all the way down Market from Van Ness to Union Square, a nightly curfew, and subsequent large scale confrontations and mass arrests when the SFPD announced a ban on all protests for a week. There are youtube videos out there, somewhere, of San Franciscans up in the cops faces from those days, as well as from the gay riot that had broken out the previous year when the governor vetoed an employment anti-discrimination bill. This was a very, very different gay population from that of today--cornered, in a sense, after fleeing the oppression of less liberal places, clearly experienced in fighting for their interests privately and in public, fearless and uncompromising. Being gay in San Francisco in 1992 wasn't about commerce, it was about changing the world. And our straight neighbors had similar and parallel world views. Occasionally, suburban homophobes would burst the bubble, usually by getting out of a suddenly stopped car on Castro Street and bashing a couple nearby pedestrains before jumping back into the car and screeching off back to the freeway. One time a crowd of us threw newspaper racks through a windshield and flattened their tires so they couldn't escape. We were able to completely trash their car while they crouched inside before the cops showed up. Nearly set it on fire.

Physically, that city was dirtier and less developed. Obviously the Marina and Nob Hill were fine, but Market Street and much of SOMA and the Mission were a disaster, an open sewer, an addiction party. There was graffiti absolutely everywhere--some of it was really elaborate and beautiful, most of it was just tags. The old housing projects were dangerous and run-down. A lot of buildings even in nicer parts of town hadn't been painted in years and looked shabby. And there was clutter, everywhere--it was a local tradition to leave things out on the sidewalk for others to take--CDs, books, clothes, large pieces of furniture. There was no Mission Bay. There was no SBC Park. Noe Valley was considered 'off the beaten track.' Rich people famously didn't live "south of California Street." Muni ran horrible, unventilated Boeing LRVs that were prone to break down in the tunnels.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2014, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
Just like it is now, relatively.
There's a huge amount of infill relative to the 90s, more light rail coming online, scores more highrises around the city and downtown, gentrification all over, not just in a few spots. Freeway infrastructure (yeah, I know it's still car centric) is hugely more expansive. The extent of diversity, international festivals, parks expansions and renovations, etc. in the 90s doesn't begin to compare with today's. More economic diversity as well. You may have been thinking of Tyler, eh?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2014, 1:15 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
The San Francisco I moved to in 1992 was less populous, less wealthy, cheaper, grungier, more criminal, but also more politically radical, counter-cultural and quirky. It was then the "Left Coast City" that still lingers in certain corners of the public mind....
Interesting portrait of a time and place...thanks fflint

Old Posted Sep 6, 2014, 5:08 AM
<-- Chicago's roots.

There was a definite sense of optimism in the air in Chicago in the 90's. The bulls were winning back to back titles, post industrial neighborhoods slowly started converting to lofts, and you could really see the transformation of downtown by Daley take a foothold. State Street reopened to traffic and the museum campus was transformed. You could also see how the development n the neighborhoods was "careful" and desperate. You can pinpoint 90's development across the city easily, its usually distinguishable by giant walls blocking the first floor, out of scale townhomes blocks away from solid highrise districts and plenty of surface parking, plenty of surface parking. The city was willing to go to whatever lengths just to get people to move back into the city, and the land was cheap enough to do so. Most of the strip malls and parking lots that break the street walls were products of the 90s. Cabrini Green was still standing also. Those buildings embodied the word "dread" the minute you saw them. Rotting, in horrible condition, trash strewn about, broken sidewalks, broken streetlights, collapsing playgrounds, weeds and urban prairie growing everywhere, and all this literally minutes from the Gold Coast. There were similar projects across the city, (visitors to Chicago from the Dan Ryan were greeted by a seemingly never-ending wall of project highrises on the South Side), but Cabrini was the most infamous.

However, as a teenager, the one word that was etched in your mind was Gangs. Traveling around the city was like a real life version of "The Warriors", you had to be alert, know which neighborhoods were controlled by which gang, what to wear, and what to say and not say when approached by teenagers. There wasn't a single neighborhood exempt from this, even Lakeview and Lincoln Park had its rough spots. There was always some popular item that kids were getting robbed of also (sneakers, Starter Jackets, etc) There was a similar outbreak of child killings like today, there was a front page story of the Tribune that showed pictures of every child killed one particular year.

A positive aspect of the city was the Hip Hop scene. To this day, there hasn't been a scene here as unified as it was in the 90's. There were spontaneous shows and meetings in vacant lots and house parties with all 4 elements of hip hop being represented. Gangster rappers and B-Boys both attended and participated equally. There was the sense that we were building a movement, though it never came to fruition (now it returning, but very fragmented) The competition was cutthroat though, if you couldn't freestyle you would sometimes be booed. If you gave a bad performance and you started antagonizing the crowd, you might literally get snatched off the stage and beaten down. You had to have some respect for the Hip Hop culture. Everyone had a crew with 3 Letters: UAC, CAB, 2DF, etc.... MC's from other cities routinely got challenged and heckled at by locals when performing at Chicago's local dives. There were a lot of local legends and some who managed to break out (Common, Twista, DaBrat, Rhymefest, Kanye).

Common - Resurrection (Video Mix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmOd0GKuztE

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions