HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 2:51 PM

Minneapolis is a leader in trend toward gentrification

Probably not entirely a good thing...that, of course, is up for debate...but interesting numbers. A lot of this, in Minneapolis at least, is coming from areas that hardly had any residents at all being transformed in to high end neighborhoods...so not really displacing people in those areas.

http://www.startribune.com/business/268974471.html

Minneapolis is a leader in trend toward gentrification

Minneapolis is gentrifying as fast as any city in the country.

Incomes are rising in Minneapolis neighborhoods at a faster pace than the city’s suburbs, according to an analysis of census data by economists at the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, and the shift toward higher-income neighborhoods in the city has been more dramatic after the recession than in any U.S. metropolitan area other than Portland, Ore.

Gentrification was on the rise in much of the country in the run-up to the financial crisis, economists Daniel Hartley and Daniel Kolliner said, as relatively affluent residents moved into and began to overtake urban neighborhoods.

“Looser lending standards, which were prevalent at the time, may have contributed to the trend,” they wrote.

Atlanta gentrified the fastest, with Washington, D.C., St. Louis, Denver, Seattle, Portland and Minneapolis not far behind. But from 2007 to 2010, neighborhoods inside Portland, Minneapolis, Seattle and Denver continued to see their average incomes rise compared with the suburbs, while the trend slowed or reversed in other parts of the country.

“For the city’s experience, this is a great transfer, both of the tax potential they could be getting and the multiplier effects,” said Daniel Trudeau, a geographer at Macalester College in St. Paul.

In Minneapolis, the rise in average income from 2007 to 2010 was spread across the city, according to the Cleveland Fed’s data.

Areas around Target Field and Uptown led the way, but census tracts in the Longfellow neighborhood, south ­Minneapolis along Interstate 35W and the east side of downtown were among the top 10 areas for income growth.

One part of the city, on Lake Street just west of Hiawatha Avenue, showed both extremes. The blocks immediately north of Lake Street fell in the metro area’s income rankings, while blocks south of Lake Street rose.

Other neighborhoods, like the Mill District and a tract in the middle of Near North, were among the quickest to gentrify before the recession, but have since seen average income fall relative to the rest of the Twin Cities.

The growing contrast between the city and its suburbs is likely the result of both increased prosperity near the core of Minneapolis and the spread of poverty to first-ring suburbs, said Louis Johnston, an economist at the College of St. Benedict and St. John’s University.

“The latter would make the closer-in tracts look better even if they aren’t gentrifying much at all,” Johnston said.

Gentrification is often defined as a “class transformation” in which wealthier people push poorer residents out of their homes, but most of what’s happening in Minneapolis doesn’t fit into that category, said Trudeau. The rapid rise in average income in the North Loop, for instance, has mostly happened without displacing anyone.

“The kind of change we’re talking about doesn’t carry the controversy that your classic gentrification example carries, like in New York City where you’ve got rent control and people buy a building and try to force people out altogether,” he said.

Still, for people without much income, a high-income center of the city might not be good news, especially when most new housing is for people who can pay high rents.

“To some extent, there can be people who lose out on this in subtle and indirect ways,” Trudeau said. “It’s not that they’re being displaced, but the opportunity for them to live close to downtown Minneapolis is significantly decreased.”

Adam Belz • 612-673-4405 Twitter: @adambelz

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 3:16 PM

Oops!!! I meant to put this in city discussions

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNMike View Post
Oops!!! I meant to put this in city discussions

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 6:11 PM

Thanks

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 8:36 PM
Houston:Considered Good

Good for Minneapolis!

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 1:20 AM

I recently read that both Neiman Marcus and Saks Fifth Avenue are leaving downtown Minneapolis. I know there's more to gentrification than just retail, but still, I associate gentrirfication with more high-end stores, not fewer.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 2:43 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDancer View Post
I recently read that both Neiman Marcus and Saks Fifth Avenue are leaving downtown Minneapolis. I know there's more to gentrification than just retail, but still, I associate gentrirfication with more high-end stores, not fewer.
While I don't entirely disagree with your premise, I should point out this article is talking about the city of Minneapolis in its entirety, not merely downtown. It is because of the widespread nature of gentrification in the city that the reporters have made the claim in their headline.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 3:04 AM

I understand that, but those two chains are leaving the entire city, not just the downtown. At least from what I read.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 4:27 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
Good for Minneapolis!
I agree!

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 6:26 AM

Still waiting too see some large/small office users move into the core or other neighborhoods. Also, other types of commercial use would spur residential growth even further. This is good news.... and hope it continues!

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 6:45 PM

Saks left downtown in 2008....it is just an off fifth outlet that is supposedly looking for other space downtown that more suits that format, while their big space is taken over by one of those new "fancy" expanded Walgreens. Neiman Marcus left a year ago, that space is being turned into Centerpoint Energy's HQ. Retail has been a tough one downtown for the past 20 years or so...it is kind of in flux right now. A new Whole Foods just opened downtown...I think we will start to see more service retail like this for all the new residential.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 7:05 PM
Never Dell

Downtowns are tough for large high-end retail. A Macy's might only need to draw from the central 1/6 of the metro, and many of its clients will use transit. But if you're one of two Neimans the idea is to draw from maybe half the metro, and more will drive.

Since that usually doesn't work for a good downtown (which doesn't cater to cars), you need tourists to fill the gap. Cities with that type of store in their downtowns will either have legacy stores (like Dallas I understand) or large volumes of tourists (San Francisco). Tourists spend like freaking maniacs.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 7:56 PM
Lowe's

^ they do spend like crazy. When I first moved to San Diego I got an out of state discount at Macys by using my Nevada drivers liscence.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 8:14 PM

Yeah...I don't really consider Macy's high end...we have a 5 story Macy's downtown that does fine, probably in part because it isn't high end... It is a legacy store to the former Dayton's...which was upscale back when that worked. We don't have a tourist draw downtown to support huge amounts of retail...so it really has to be service focused. Target does great downtown, as does Whole Foods and Lund's (another grocer) and such.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 8:21 PM

PS, this is happening next year:

http://www.nicolletmallproject.com/

http://finance-commerce.com/2014/05/...nicollet-mile/

Much needed 50 million dollar renovation of downtown's main street.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 9:58 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNMike View Post
Yeah...I don't really consider Macy's high end...we have a 5 story Macy's downtown that does fine, probably in part because it isn't high end...
Macy's stores vary a great deal not only from region to region, but even within cities and metropolitan areas. Downtown SF's Macy's is very high-end; the free-standing mens' store downtown is more mid-level; the Macy's on the city's west side is definitely not high end.

Anyway, the statistics showing city-wide improvement in Minneapolis are more important to the region as a whole, in my opinion, than whether or not there's a Nieman Marcus downtown.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Downtowns are tough for large high-end retail. A Macy's might only need to draw from the central 1/6 of the metro, and many of its clients will use transit. But if you're one of two Neimans the idea is to draw from maybe half the metro, and more will drive.

Since that usually doesn't work for a good downtown (which doesn't cater to cars), you need tourists to fill the gap. Cities with that type of store in their downtowns will either have legacy stores (like Dallas I understand) or large volumes of tourists (San Francisco). Tourists spend like freaking maniacs.
For many, many years though, downtown Minneapolis DID support both Saks and Neiman Marcus. Now both chains have decided to leave not only the downtown, but the entire MSP market to my understanding.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 12:05 AM

Do you even read responses? lol.

Anyway. Saks and Neimans were downtown for about 20 years...pretty much only staying because their rent was dirt cheap and because of lease obligations...they never did well sadly.

Downtown did support several other dept stores just fine though...but sadly the time of downtown Minneapolis being a regional shopping hub has long passed.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
Macy's stores vary a great deal not only from region to region, but even within cities and metropolitan areas. Downtown SF's Macy's is very high-end; the free-standing mens' store downtown is more mid-level; the Macy's on the city's west side is definitely not high end.

Anyway, the statistics showing city-wide improvement in Minneapolis are more important to the region as a whole, in my opinion, than whether or not there's a Nieman Marcus downtown.

Compared to Dayton's or Marshall Field's...I haven't been in a Macy's that feels even close to as high end. Even the big one in Manhattan and the old MF on State street don't feel upscale at all compared to the former stores I mentioned. Nordstrom and Nieman Marcus feel much more upscale. At Macy's, everything is always a big SALE SALE SALE.

Last edited by MNMike; Aug 7, 2014 at 12:30 AM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 12:16 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Americans associate department stores with malls. Most of the people seeking to live and work downtown would prefer to shop at smaller independent stores, not the behemoth you can visit by driving up the nearest interstate.

If Hechts left DC, this would have no impact to the retail health of downtown or to the overall success of the region in attracting retail. It might even help things, by channelling shoppers to outside walkable retail streets rather than a cavernous building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions