HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Today, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StethJeff View Post
I recently moved out of the Museum Tower across the street from the Broad so this one is particularly personal to me. Such a disaster. It is so rare for us in LA to universally love a design. The original plan was so dynamic and unique that many of us were afraid/thrilled that it could potentially even steal the spotlight away from WDCH. At a minimum, it would be an icon for the city. Fast forward to today and it somehow actually manages to look terrible and be incredibly delayed. Might as well build it on the other side of WDCH and drop it somewhere into the music center where it'll fit in better.
such a disappointment, my hope is that the blue spot will be how it is in the renders though my gut is telling me it wont. also the triangular entrance is so much smaller than what the render proposed.

Old Posted Today, 4:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
That's the first aerial shot taken of dt from the south looking north I've seen on the internet....or anywhere else....since all the current new apt projs have broken ground, or been well under construction or even recently completed. It's a relief that the pieces of the puzzle are finally....finally!....falling into place.

kalbeen's pic of what I call the whole foods mkt apt proj is a reminder of how a major gap not only is being filled in, but how it's using steel frame construction instead of wood...& how even though it broke ground in late 2012....or almost 2 solid yrs ago....it still will require many more months to reach the completion stage. Since it took so long to get above the excavation level, I swear it didn't begin construction until late 2013, not late 2012.

btw, I came across the following post in the metro LA thread of ssp's compilations page, & I think it speaks for many of us....or certainly for me....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalKid View Post
Blackcat, your blog is hands-down the best source of information on Los Angeles development on the internet. I am constantly wowed by both your knowledge and the time you put into it. Are you a broker? Or in the real estate industry?

Also, are you planning to monetize your blog at all with minimal ads like Brigham Yen did? I think you should be compensated for your awesome efforts.

Old Posted Today, 1:31 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

We received a request yesterday from Holland Construction to install a construction camera on the roof of the Higgins Building to monitor construction of the Vibiana Lofts project on Main Street just south of 2nd. Now, I've never received a request like this before, so I don't know how far in advance they plan these things out, but it appears to me that construction is imminent. Just a reminder of what's going there:

Image Source: Building Los Angeles
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Today, 2:19 PM
#GoDodgers

Has the city undertaken some sort of "city beautiful" movement? Google recently updated their Street View for LA and I'm seeing lots of streets with what appear to be newly planted trees. The city looks a lot cleaner too.

Old Posted Today, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
We received a request yesterday from Holland Construction to install a construction camera on the roof of the Higgins Building to monitor construction of the Vibiana Lofts project on Main Street just south of 2nd. Now, I've never received a request like this before, so I don't know how far in advance they plan these things out, but it appears to me that construction is imminent. Just a reminder of what's going there:

You are correct. They're getting very close, although I'm not sure of exactly when shovels hit dirt.

For better or worse, the developer has cut the project down by one floor, most likely to allow for the use of wood-framing instead of steel/concrete. The basic design is staying the same though, as well as the approximate unit count and retail square footage.

Old Posted Today, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post

Excellent! That's a project I've been eagerly anticipating. It's really gonna activate that stretch

Old Posted Today, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post

For better or worse, the developer has cut the project down by one floor, most likely to allow for the use of wood-framing instead of steel/concrete. The basic design is staying the same though, as well as the approximate unit count and retail square footage.
This is actually really disappointing. Maybe they are just going for taller ceiling heights?

Old Posted Today, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
This is actually really disappointing. Maybe they are just going for taller ceiling heights?
At one point, wasn't this supposed to be much taller? On the plus side, I like the design enough. It's interesting without trying too hard. And the gray is nice - a welcomed break from the color diarrhea of AVA and the others.

Old Posted Today, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
Has the city undertaken some sort of "city beautiful" movement? Google recently updated their Street View for LA and I'm seeing lots of streets with what appear to be newly planted trees. The city looks a lot cleaner too.
It does seem like the city has finally started to improve its street tree cover in the last few years. I believe that many of the new street trees are the result of the Million Trees LA program that Villaraigosa launched in 2006, and it seems as well that a few neighborhood business districts have also gotten in on the game. Just this past month in my neighborhood lots of new trees have showed up along Vermont Ave and its side streets between 7th and Olympic.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations