HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 7:45 PM

I didn't live in a major city in the 90's, but instead a smallish regional city booming its way up to a medium size city. Ft. Myers,FL was at it's peak in the 90's. Everything was shinny and new. No crime, grit, decay, or graffiti.

Two new spring training baseball stadiums were built for the Red Socks and Twins respectively.

It still felt like a small town, but was soon to double in population in the next decade. It was more white, as the Hispanic immigration wave hadn't quite hit yet.

The streets were quiet, traffic was light, lots of drag races down the main streets.

I remember when the Barnes and Nobles bookstore opened in town, it was seen as THE PLACE for culture, embarrassingly. Everyone that was anyone wanted to hang out there.

Being a couple hours from Miami, techno was really popular. The city was flooded with E and acid. Unfortunately, it was too small of a town for any rave scene. Beach parties and house parties playing techno cd's were the extent of it.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 9:25 PM
Content provider

murders in chicago in 1992:

and streeterville was a giant gravel pit, essentially

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
Edmonton was on a very deep downswing. Nothing happened in Edmonton. The glory years were behind us and we just looked forward to making the playoffs.
Do you realize that you didn't feel the need to specify which activity you're talking about...?

It's interesting. (I suppose most Americans can guess, anyway.)

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
Aside from the insane cost of living, it sounds like San Francisco is far nicer to live in today. For example I'd hate to see Valencia street all boarded up because it's my favorite strip in all of San Francisco due to the vibrant atmosphere. And more dirt/grime in addition to crime? No thanks! WE've still got enough of that already.
I loved fflint's description of the underground rave scene, strong counter culture politics, and diverse neighborhood gay scenes. Makes me nostalgic for a past I didn't really know, and want to start protesting google busses and gentrification.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 12:55 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Do you realize that you didn't feel the need to specify which activity you're talking about...?

It's interesting. (I suppose most Americans can guess, anyway.)
CFL and NHL. We may have won the 1993 Grey Cup but that was all.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 4:28 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Pretty much this:

pic courtesy of travelportland.com

and

pic courtesy of reverseshot.com

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 8:21 PM
The City

^ Yeah, that whole "lets relive the hippie thing" was big in the 90's, especially the first half of the decade.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 11:15 PM

^--- Want to feel really old? This is Bee Girl from Blind Melon's album cover / "No Rain" video:

I seem to remember the hippie revival thing in the early 90s as being more about clothes than attitude or life outlook. But I was only a young teen then and probably would have missed the nuances.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
I seem to remember the hippie revival thing in the early 90s as being more about clothes than attitude or life outlook. But I was only a young teen then and probably would have missed the nuances.
I saw it as a reflux of the hippie ethic of DIY which is a straight line to today's hipsters. We wanted obscure dive bars, not stadium concerts. That's how it seemed to be, but I'm sure there's probably a line backwards through the new wave, punk and alt scenes of the 70s and 80s.

It was also a time that seemed to define generation x. The late 80s early 90s was very corporate, bland, wishy washy. After Nirvana (rap too) hit, it was like, this is ours! We so badly wanted to be the hippie generation because it felt so important.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 4:14 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickell View Post
It was also a time that seemed to define generation x. The late 80s early 90s was very corporate, bland, wishy washy. After Nirvana (rap too) hit, it was like, this is ours! We so badly wanted to be the hippie generation because it felt so important.

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 8:17 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

A video and sappy song made for a Royal visit in 1983, but a nice glimpse at what the city was like. This would've been tacky and cheesy even then - we were never quite this provincial - but the scenery would've been the same.

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 5:44 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 5:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
^--- Want to feel really old? This is Bee Girl from Blind Melon's album cover / "No Rain" video:

is that rachael ray??

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 5:41 PM
They all float down here

Salt Lake City in the 90s was just starting to regain its population footing after decades of losing it to the suburbs. It also saw a huge increase in gang activity and an uptick in crime, specifically murders. In 1993, the city had 25 homicides, which, for a city of only 159,000, is a pretty high number.

It also managed to win the Olympics and host the NBA Finals (twice), which helped put the city on the map nationally (and internationally).

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 6:37 PM

New York 1991: Wasn't that bad. Safety wise, you didn't go to Central Park after dark, you didn't go on the subway after 9:30. But other than that, if you were in a decent part of Manhattan, you could be out until the bars closed at 4 am and feel fine. Chelsea was considered dodgy - - mostly parking garages, auto repair and night clubs at that time. Soho was blossoming, but nothing like it is today. It was so deserted at night in Soho, you could take a piss against a wall and not be noticed. Brooklyn was dangerous and deserted. There were streets in Park Slope that you wouldn't cross. The hipsters were in the East Village and the Lower East Side. But just walking to the Nuyorican Poets Cafe, the Hispanic kids would make comments to you. A friend owned a studio in the Village that he bought for $65,000.

Washington 1992: This was at the height of DC's status as murder capital of America. Lots of classmates were mugged. Even Georgetown had some seedy bars that the hip hop crowd frequented. Columbia Heights did not exist. In Mt. Pleasant, there was a guy driving around with a shotgun shooting people at random who were out walking their dogs. Adams Morgan was the hip place of the 80's. U Street was just coming into existence when I left in 1995. A few of the old Southern places like Colonial Cafeteria, with its french fries and malt vinegar, still existed. Some of the old, old Georgetown institutions like Neam's market and Francis Scott Key books were still around. A young professor could buy a modest house in Georgetown for $250,000 or $300,000. Even the mansions in Georgetown were selling for around $900,000.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkfood View Post
New York 1991: Wasn't that bad. Safety wise, you didn't go to Central Park after dark, you didn't go on the subway after 9:30. But other than that, if you were in a decent part of Manhattan, you could be out until the bars closed at 4 am and feel fine. Chelsea was considered dodgy - - mostly parking garages, auto repair and night clubs at that time. Soho was blossoming, but nothing like it is today. It was so deserted at night in Soho, you could take a piss against a wall and not be noticed. Brooklyn was dangerous and deserted. There were streets in Park Slope that you wouldn't cross. The hipsters were in the East Village and the Lower East Side. But just walking to the Nuyorican Poets Cafe, the Hispanic kids would make comments to you. A friend owned a studio in the Village that he bought for $65,000.

Washington 1992: This was at the height of DC's status as murder capital of America. Lots of classmates were mugged. Even Georgetown had some seedy bars that the hip hop crowd frequented. Columbia Heights did not exist. In Mt. Pleasant, there was a guy driving around with a shotgun shooting people at random who were out walking their dogs. Adams Morgan was the hip place of the 80's. U Street was just coming into existence when I left in 1995. A few of the old Southern places like Colonial Cafeteria, with its french fries and malt vinegar, still existed. Some of the old, old Georgetown institutions like Neam's market and Francis Scott Key books were still around. A young professor could buy a modest house in Georgetown for $250,000 or $300,000. Even the mansions in Georgetown were selling for around $900,000.
I agree with most of your DC post, but I don't think there were any homes selling in Georgetown for much under $400,000 at the time. You could maybe pick up a house in Mt.Pleasant or in dodgier parts of Capitol Hill for the figures you quote. I know because I was in the housing market at the time. I ended up paying $250K for a large two bedroom apt. in a pre-war bldg. in Cleveland Park. Small houses over there were going for around $400K.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 6:20 AM
Future Mayor of Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
Urban revival dare I say really only begun for mainstream America somewhere around 2001-2002.
Actually I would say it was a little bit before that, at least in cities like Chicago and New York City, the mid to late 1990's, 1999-2001 especially, was really the tipping point. The 2000 census gave NYC it's peak population up until that point of 8 million people, totally reversing post-1950 population loss; Chicago saw the first population increase since 1950, so when this information was released in 2001 there was kind of a euphoria about cities, in NYC this was tampered a bit by 9/11 for a short time.

There actually was a big shift in the 1990's, the difference in attitude towards cities was far greater between 1990 and 1999 than between 2000 and 2014. In the early 1990's there was some gentrification but many people still saw cities as dangerous places and with some reason because many major cities saw their peaks in violent crime at the height of the crack epidemic. It is interesting because the 1990's was when I truly fell in love with Chicago and urbanism in general and it also happened to be the time when public opinion was turning towards Chicago and cities in general. So I had the best of both worlds, I was enough of a counter-cultural attitude (vis a vis pervasive suburban attitudes) to feel like a non-conformist rebellious child/teenager but at the same time as more people my age felt the way I do I also became trendy as many people coming of age want to be. So literally I came of age (in the 1990's I was 9-19 years old) at a time of changing attitudes about cities.

"Auto-centric suburban sprawl is the devil physically manifesting himself in the built environment."

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 3:17 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago103 View Post
Actually I would say it was a little bit before that, at least in cities like Chicago and New York City, the mid to late 1990's, 1999-2001 especially, was really the tipping point. The 2000 census gave NYC it's peak population up until that point of 8 million people, totally reversing post-1950 population loss; Chicago saw the first population increase since 1950, so when this information was released in 2001 there was kind of a euphoria about cities, in NYC this was tampered a bit by 9/11 for a short time.

There actually was a big shift in the 1990's, the difference in attitude towards cities was far greater between 1990 and 1999 than between 2000 and 2014. In the early 1990's there was some gentrification but many people still saw cities as dangerous places and with some reason because many major cities saw their peaks in violent crime at the height of the crack epidemic. It is interesting because the 1990's was when I truly fell in love with Chicago and urbanism in general and it also happened to be the time when public opinion was turning towards Chicago and cities in general. So I had the best of both worlds, I was enough of a counter-cultural attitude (vis a vis pervasive suburban attitudes) to feel like a non-conformist rebellious child/teenager but at the same time as more people my age felt the way I do I also became trendy as many people coming of age want to be. So literally I came of age (in the 1990's I was 9-19 years old) at a time of changing attitudes about cities.
there were successive (and some unsuccessful) waves of revitalizations in urban america before that. gaslight square in st. louis was a neighborhood that saw revitalization in the 1960s. a declined chinatown had a beat/bohemian flavor in the 1950s.

st. louis magazine

www.umsl.edu

st. louis magazine (gaslight square, 1963)

st. louis magazine

i think old town in chicago fit a similar role. unfortunately the weight of the decline in st. louis folded over these early bohemian-flavored attempts at revitalization which would have proven successful in a less industrial city. i believe soulard started to revitalize in the 1970s-80s, and the central west end made progress during this time as well. but ground level revitalization attempts were made mid-century by the outcasts of the ww-2 generation in st. louis, as the city went into decline before the great lakes cities.

Last edited by Centropolis; Oct 1, 2014 at 3:37 PM.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 7:52 PM
if I sang out of tune

London was awash in leftfield culture. After Thatcher had banned illegal raves (30,000 people off their face in a field anyone?), and more than 8 people dancing round a radio, the scene moved into legal premises - indoors, at which point it completely got out of control. By the mid nineties 500,000 people were clubbing every weekend night and DJing had become the country's no. 2 leisure activity/ hobby (after shopping), with 1 million professional DJs, and university courses teaching it. This was when Ibiza was born as Brits descended on the island in droves, and DJs like Paul Oakenfold and Jon of the Pleased Wimmin (no, really) made their names. You couldnt avoid it. London/ UK was losing it's moniker of the 'Old Smoke' or the 'Dirty Old Man of Europe', from the dark days of 1980s Thatcherism, economic recession, and Empire and industrial decline.

A new theme of selling second hand clothes was opening up in gritty Notting Hill's Portobello Market, having taken up from several ethnic stalls in 1984 that would one day become the Red or Dead label, and Camden soon followed, touting a thing for 70s style - a relatively new term for that generation known as 'retro', plus cyberpunk and tribal. This was the period when Chinese tattoos, Jamaican dreads and Indian piercings became fashionable. 200,000 people every day soon packed into Camden, 500,000 a night into the sex district/ gay village/ media village/ chinatown/ theatreland that was Soho in it's heyday, and doubling on the weekends. The city was absolutely buzzing, awash with music (drum n bass for elevator music, techno in McDonalds), and flowering new styles - Techno (which sodded off to Germany as it became unpopular in the UK) became jungle, became drum n bass aswell as an arm as garage (from Detroit), then speed garage, then UK Garage, while the gay scene gave rise to nu-house, Hi-NRG, retro electro and the south coast to Big Beat (influenced by the re-rise of Hip Hop/ Trip Hop). Ambient and trance changed annually, finding new forms from Goa and later, Israel.

In 1995 Newsweek named it the world's coolest city in a cover story, 2 years later Tony Blair came to power with the Cool Britannia coinage - and the beginning of the end.

However 2 years later Newsweek also ran a following cover story on Uncool Britannia. The city peaked with the highest crime in its history since Medieval times, 5-7x that of NYC, though much lower in homicides, yet also much higher in violent crimes. Race was also a much bigger issue than today's London - ethnic divide, class and crime correlating with race, alongside the rise of the BNP (British National Party).

I remember the good years, of leaving school, changing into my Dad's chocolate Seventies suit, and taking the train into the city, then spending my day and night wandering around photographing the crazy mix of people and fashions. This was all in the days before the hipster term got coined, but it was so much more relevant then. Also before the term 'chav' was bandied around either, as they didnt really exist at the time. The working class ruled, just like in the swinging sixties. They were the ones filling the vast underground scenes, creating the new fashions and movements, and making everyone talk 'Mockney', from rich boys like James Blunt to Jamie Oliver.

It was also one of galling ugliness - the tube had hanging wires and puddles, graffiti and rubbish, as were the streets - filled with 10-30,000 homeless, and awash in an edgy feel. Waterloo was 'Tent City', there was always a mad argument or someone screaming on the buses. The police were racist, any group of of young Black men chatting on a street corner were a cause of fear.

Amazing how so much has changed. Now it's all money and chainstores, low crime and good race relations. London's lost it's edge, affordability, danger and promiscuity. Walking through the centre now is unrecogniseable to the times where speedo wearing bikers raced through Soho, when Kings Cross was littered with fat prostitutes sitting in the roads, when punks in a chef outfit would come out of a blaring side door to smoke on his tea break - in Marylebone, when Covent Garden had an underground club scene, when the East End was absolutely dead and dire, when Clerkenwell was poor and industrial.

Last edited by muppet; Oct 2, 2014 at 10:50 AM.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 8:07 PM
Never Dell

I don't remember that London at all. I visited several times in the 1990s since my sister had moved there. Lots of long walks all over, albeit not a ton south or east, and not much late at night. Crime and street people were rarely visible. On the downside, the food wasn't as international or as good.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions