HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 6:38 PM
Never Dell

I don't have numbers, but I suspect the #1 type of new housing in Seattle is woodframe apartments of 6 or 7 stories. These are ubiquitous in the fringes of Downtown and in urban nodes all over the city. We do townhouses and shorter/smaller apartments too, but the numbers should be lower.

In fact I think the source list for this thread undercounted how many of our cranes are for residential projects. Most of them are.

Nearly all are rentals btw. Our defect legislation means only occassional projects are condos, and they need to sell for a large premium. (For a highrise, figure $800/sf minimum.)

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 12:18 AM

^those are common across the US. ~6 floor apartment buildings on ex industrial sites with parking in an above ground garage in the middle of the building. They have been popping up all across the US.

They are a great form of density too, wish they would become more common in Canada.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 2:38 AM
Never Dell

No, not that kind. Seattle woodframe-building garages are underground, and some have no parking at all. Projects can be much denser with parking underground.

Also it's more of a focus here than most other places, even if you count the "Texas doughnuts".

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 3:50 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
No, not that kind. Seattle woodframe-building garages are underground, and some have no parking at all. Projects can be much denser with parking underground.

Also it's more of a focus here than most other places, even if you count the "Texas doughnuts".
I am very jealous.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 4:26 AM
mmmm... infillicious!

How can they be off by so much?

In December 2016 at DenverInfill, we did a crane census just for Downtown Denver and nearby urban core neighborhoods and we counted 32, of which 24 are for multi-family projects. If that were expanded to the whole city proper, I'd say we'd be well over 30 cranes for multi-family and 50 total, not 10 and 19 as they said.

http://denverinfill.com/blog/2016/12...nter-2016.html

DenverInfill Blog
DenverUrbanism

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post

Similar in Portland..they're a dime/dozen here. Its frustrating/exciting at the same time.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
We're talking about urban, highrise housing, no? Dallas isn't even in the conversation.
Another person talking about Dallas who has probably never been to Dallas, at least not in the last decade..... So common. Dallas does not have as high of a density as NYC or Chicago, but it's been getting denser every year and offers a very livable urbanity, and the option of very good close by suburbs if that's the lifestyle you choose. It's a good balance. All at a reasonable cost of living. It's one of the reasons droves of people have been moving here, more than any other USA metro.

Almost all multifamily going up in Dallas is mid or high rise. You only find lowrise development going up in far flung suburbs. The economics of land prices haven't supported lowrise apartments for awhile in the urban core. Just from looking outside my building, I count 10+ cranes and there are many more in the urban core.Not to mention the proposed new Perot Tower that could very well end up being the tallest west of the Mississippi (something Dallas was used to holding the record for until the 80s). See my photo below:

Photo Credit: Myself

And another photo near the Central Business District:

Courtesy: DART https://dartdallas.dart.org/2014/07/...e-warren-park/

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
We're talking about urban, highrise housing, no? Dallas isn't even in the conversation.
The original post didn't say highrise, just cranes for a residential project. A 5 story apartment building can still have a crane or two. These are being built all over cities like Dallas, Seattle, and Atlanta.

But I'm sure you're right that NYC beats the competition. Chicago is pretty nuts right now too.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 7:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt777 View Post
Another person talking about Dallas who has probably never been to Dallas, at least not in the last decade.....
You'll notice that Crawford chimes in on a lot of stuff on SSP, whether he has first hand knowledge or not, after all, there's no way people would ever want to move to TX for any reason what-so-ever.

BTW, Dallas is looking good! I'm really liking the new developments in the Big D.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt777 View Post
Another person talking about Dallas who has probably never been to Dallas, at least not in the last decade..... So common. Dallas does not have as high of a density as NYC or Chicago, but it's been getting denser every year and offers a very livable urbanity, and the option of very good close by suburbs if that's the lifestyle you choose. It's a good balance. All at a reasonable cost of living. It's one of the reasons droves of people have been moving here, more than any other USA metro.

Almost all multifamily going up in Dallas is mid or high rise. You only find lowrise development going up in far flung suburbs. The economics of land prices haven't supported lowrise apartments for awhile in the urban core. Just from looking outside my building, I count 10+ cranes and there are many more in the urban core.Not to mention the proposed new Perot Tower that could very well end up being the tallest west of the Mississippi (something Dallas was used to holding the record for until the 80s). See my photo below:

Photo Credit: Myself

And another photo near the Central Business District:

Courtesy: DART https://dartdallas.dart.org/2014/07/...e-warren-park/
Dallas' COL is on par with Chicago now, which many people consider "expensive". It'll be interesting to see how Dallas handles increases in automation, since many of the jobs created in Dallas are not high-skilled professional jobs.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Dallas' COL is on par with Chicago now, which many people consider "expensive". It'll be interesting to see how Dallas handles increases in automation, since many of the jobs created in Dallas are not high-skilled professional jobs.
That goes for pretty much any city in America.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions