HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 6:24 PM

2016 Community Well-Being Rankings

Quote:
The report analyzes how well-being varies by community, as well as who leads and lags across the five elements of well-being—purpose, social, financial, community and physical. The data and insights from this report can be used as a call-to-action for communities around the country, leveraging it to benchmark and identify opportunities for well-being improvement.

Methodology
These data are based on a subset of 354,473 telephone interviews with U.S. adults across all 50 states and the District of Columbia, conducted from January 2, 2015 to December 30, 2016. In 2015, 177,281 interviews were conducted nationally; in 2016, 177,192 were conducted nationally. Gallup conducts 500 telephone interviews daily, resulting in a sample that projects to an estimated 95 percent of all U.S. adults. Metropolitan Statistical Areas (MSAs) are based on the U.S. O ce of Management and Budget de nitions. Only MSAs with at least 300 completed interviews are reported, and results for each MSA are uniquely weighted accord- ing to Nielsen Claritas demographic targets. Gallup conducts interviews in both English and Spanish. For data collected prior to September 1, 2015, each sample of national adults includes a minimum quota of 50% cellphone respondents and 50% landline respondents. For data collected between September 1, 2015 and December 30, 2016 each sample of national adults includes a minimum quota of 60% cellphone respondents and 40% landline respondents. Additional minimum quotas by time zone and within region are included in the sampling approach. The Well-Being Index is calculated on a scale of 0 to 100, where zero represents the lowest possible well-being and 100 represents the highest possible well-being.
Read more about community well-being trends at: http://www.gallup.com/poll/204536/naples- orida-remains-top-metro.aspx
http://info.healthways.com/hubfs/Gal...=1488863538439

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 4:38 PM

there should also be a sixth category, potential. as in potential to have your investment flattened by a natural calamity. id be curious to examine insurance rates for florida metros versus some of the mountain and plains cities too.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
there should also be a sixth category, potential. as in potential to have your investment flattened by a natural calamity. id be curious to examine insurance rates for florida metros versus some of the mountain and plains cities too.
This is probably the biggest righteous cause for discomfort in CA and yet very few people seem discomforted by it. I take it seriously though. In my retirement years, I still carry a significant mortgage on my home just because I do not want more of my own money in it than necessary. I do realize that in CA borrowers of other than purchase money mortgages--i.e. refinanced mortgages--can be sued for any shortfall in the case of repossession, but as we all learned in 2009, that isn't really likely and I thik it would be even less likely in the wake of an earthquake that wrecked a reinforced concrete and steel midrise built to recent earthquake codes like mine.

Knowing people who live in Florida, I know that homeowners' rates there are awful and the worst, of course, is Federal Flood Insurance. And that is about to get worse:

Quote:
Congress Set for Heated Debate on Flood Insurance Program
By RACHEL WITKOWSKI
Updated March 9, 2017 3:06 p.m. ET

WASHINGTON—Congress is gearing up for a heated fight over a government-backed flood insurance program that owes billions of dollars to taxpayers and is set to expire this year.

What to do about extending the National Flood Insurance Program divides Congress along regional rather than party lines. Lawmakers in flood-prone states are at odds with those in other regions weary of subsidizing residents of riskier areas along coasts and waterways. Another issue is convincing homeowners who have been paying artificially low rates for insurance that they must pay more . . . .
https://www.wsj.com/articles/congres...ram-1489055403

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions