HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 3:50 PM
BANNED

Clearly, Photolith isn't a racist, that accusation is thrown around way too much these days. What he said was un-PC, which he acknowledged, but it's ok to discuss race without being a racist. Of course you can't compare a minority group in the US with minority groups in other countries because of numerous other factors.

I think the point he was making (Photolith correct me if I'm wrong) is that countries with a long history of having large minority groups (religion, race, culture, language whatever) have higher crime rates due to many reasons, whereas countries with a long history of a largely homogenous populations tend to have lower crime rates.

Japan would be an interesting study if one day they open the doors to migrants from SE Asia to sustain their economy. Would the Japanese welcome them with open arms and the migrants adopt and assimilate into Japanese culture, or would these newcomers feel like second class citizens, band together in their communities, form street gangs, organized crime, run criminal enterprises, splinter into factions within their own community and start killing each other off to preserve their business interests in the black markets?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
China does not oppress an entire group of people in their society....

Did I just read this? Is this how delusional some have become?
There's a difference between exploiting workers, strict government authority and murdering, depriving opportunities, culturally demonizing, segregating a certain race. Obviously, China oppresses and murders classes of people in different ways. But then again maybe China hasn't had a chance to show whether or not they're different from America in that regard since they've never had a major immigration of minorities.

The racist issue in America is the reason for black poverty and criminal tendencies. That was the main point.

The whole "black people commit more crimes" narrative Photolith is trying to propagate is ill-conceived and half-baked and racist even if it wasn't his intention. But go ahead and excuse yourself and cry about those damn PC libtards.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 4:24 PM

Tibet? Uighurs?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
There's a difference between exploiting workers, strict government authority and murdering, depriving opportunities, culturally demonizing, segregating a certain race. Obviously, China oppresses and murders classes of people in different ways. But then again maybe China hasn't had a chance to show whether or not they're different from America in that regard since they've never had a major immigration of minorities.

The racist issue in America is the reason for black poverty and criminal tendencies. That was the main point.

The whole "black people commit more crimes" narrative Photolith is trying to propagate is ill-conceived and half-baked and racist even if it wasn't his intention. But go ahead and excuse yourself and cry about those damn PC libtards.

African Americans do commit more crimes, that's not racist but factual. Now you can discuss the disadvantages they may face which may result in the more crimes they commit, but stating a fact as I have done does not make me racist. Maybe a realist.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2001 View Post
African Americans do commit more crimes, that's not racist but factual. Now you can discuss the disadvantages they may face which may result in the more crimes they commit, but stating a fact as I have done does not make me racist. Maybe a realist.
Isn't that the whole fucking point of this thread? What results in higher crime rates in other places compared to China? The word "why" is right there in the thread title.

In a thread about why less people commit crimes in China compared to the rest of the world, if someone just keeps saying that more people are black in the USA over and over again and says nothing further, I don't see how that is anything other than extremely racist.

It's possible Photolith simply misunderstood the point of the thread, because obviously you did not understand either. I thought the intent of the thread was clear, but obviously I was wrong.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 7:04 PM
Never Dell

They mostly don't have guns. Obviously a huge component.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 7:40 PM
Dryer lint inspector

It's not blacks but any society with a visible minority (racial, ethnic, religious, etc) that is lower in the socioeconomic strata than the average will have higher crime statistics. Muslims (first or second generation) in France have considerably higher crime rates than average "native" French citizen.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
It's not blacks but any society with a visible minority (racial, ethnic, religious, etc) that is lower in the socioeconomic strata than the average will have higher crime statistics. Muslims (first or second generation) in France have considerably higher crime rates than average "native" French citizen.
China has those too.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 8:16 PM

Pretty sure the white crime rate in Japan during at least decades, mostly thanks to US military personnel stationed there, was noticeably higher than for the Japanese themselves.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Pretty sure the white crime rate in Japan during at least decades, mostly thanks to US military personnel stationed there, was noticeably higher than for the Japanese themselves.
US military personnel were not all white.

This black U.S. marine raped and killed a japanese girl: http://www.stripes.com/news/former-m...death-1.416916

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 9:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Of course low socioeconomic status and high crime may be a symptom of another factor, like IQ or something.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
Clearly, Photolith isn't a racist, that accusation is thrown around way too much these days. What he said was un-PC, which he acknowledged, but it's ok to discuss race without being a racist. Of course you can't compare a minority group in the US with minority groups in other countries because of numerous other factors.

I think the point he was making (Photolith correct me if I'm wrong) is that countries with a long history of having large minority groups (religion, race, culture, language whatever) have higher crime rates due to many reasons, whereas countries with a long history of a largely homogenous populations tend to have lower crime rates.

Japan would be an interesting study if one day they open the doors to migrants from SE Asia to sustain their economy. Would the Japanese welcome them with open arms and the migrants adopt and assimilate into Japanese culture, or would these newcomers feel like second class citizens, band together in their communities, form street gangs, organized crime, run criminal enterprises, splinter into factions within their own community and start killing each other off to preserve their business interests in the black markets?
Clearly, yeah right?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 10:14 PM

The racism in this thread is appalling. Like shocking. I do agree that crime rates among blacks in countries that had a legacy of slavery is much higher than that of other social/racial groups(USA, Brazil), but all blacks aren't created the same. Blacks in Canada, U.K., France, don't have nearly the same murder rates as African Americans do. Even among black immigrants in the U.S., they don't have even close to as high because they haven't gotten entrenched in the gang/survival culture of the inner city like African Americans have.

You can even see people subtly bringing up the "The Bell Curve" based on a 1990 study on IQ and Race as a reason why crime rates are high or low. I thought it was already known IQ is not a good measure of intelligence.

Just very surprising for SkyscraperPage. I thought this was a liberal site. I guess conservatives were right when they said white liberals are just as racist as conservatives, just more subtle about it.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 10:26 PM

Why sugar coat it. China is a police state. Everyone is watched and controlled all the time and can be sent to prison or executed anytime the government wants. It really is that simple.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 10:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post

You can even see people subtly bringing up the "The Bell Curve" based on a 1990 study on IQ and Race as a reason why crime rates are high or low. I thought it was already known IQ is not a good measure of intelligence.
Im no expert, but this is very, very wrong. IQ is one of the most well understood concepts in all of psychometrics and it correlates strongly with all measures of cognitive skills.

It's a very good measure of intelligence in any meaningful sense of the word. You are simply unfamiliar with the literature.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
They mostly don't have guns. Obviously a huge component.

There's quite a bit of variation within US states though when it comes to crime. I don't know how much variation there is within US states when it comes to gun laws, but there is overlap with Canadian provinces, usually with states that are similar.

NH has a similar homicide rate to Canada's Maritimes. ME and VT are a bit higher, but still lower than the Canadian Prairies. The American states near the Canadian Prairies (MN, MT, ND, WY, SD, IA, ID) have similar to slightly lower homicide rates than the Canadian Prairies. The Northwest Territories are similar to Alaska, while Yukon is significantly better and Nunavut is significantly worse than Alaska and in fact worse than in US state. OR and WA have higher rates than BC, but HI, ID and UT are similar.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 12:08 AM
BANNED

I dont think guns have much to do with it:

http://slatestarcodex.com/2016/01/06/guns-and-states/

Summary:

Quote:

1. Scatterplots showing raw correlations between gun ownership and “gun deaths” are entirely driven by suicide, and therefore dishonest to use to prove that guns cause murder (~100% confidence)

2. But if you adjust for all relevant confounders, there is a positive correlation between gun ownership and homicide rates (~90% confidence). This relationship is likely causal (~66% confidence).

3. The majority of the difference between America’s murder rate and that of other First World countries is not because of easier access to guns in America (~90% confidence).

4. But some of it is due to easier access to guns. This is probably about 0.5 murders/100K/year.

5. An Australian-style gun control program that worked and had no side effects would probably prevent about 2,000 murders in the US. It would also prevent a much larger number of suicides. I am otherwise ignoring suicides in this piece because discussing them would make me too angry.

6. Probably the amount of lost gun-related enjoyment an Australian-style gun control program would cause do not outweigh the benefits.

7. This is not really enough analysis to make me have a strong opinion about gun control, since this just looks at the correlational evidence and doesn’t really investigate the experimental evidence. Contrary to what everyone always tells you, experimental evidence doesn’t always trump correlational – there are cases where each has its strengths – but it wouldn’t be responsible to have a real opinion on this until I look into that too. Nevertheless, these data are at least highly consistent with Australia-style gun control being a good idea for the US.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 12:11 AM
disorient yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tocoto View Post
Why sugar coat it. China is a police state. Everyone is watched and controlled all the time and can be sent to prison or executed anytime the government wants. It really is that simple.
:End of thread.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 12:16 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverberation View Post
:End of thread.
Why is violent crime so low in East Asia in general, even in countries that lack oppressive regimes? I think thats a worthy question.

China's regime might explain the difference between it and South Korea, but I don't think it explains the gap between the US and China.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 12:48 AM

The Left has incredible issues when it comes to discussing race.

No, being black doesnt mean you commit more crime. Nothing about black skin or DNA creates a criminal.

However, the most crime-ridden cities are black ones. I'm tired of this same discussion on here. You liberals pander to blacks and pat yourself on the back while knowing damn well that majority black neighborhoods are places you would never live in, let alone go to. Anyone in chicago want to live on the west or south side? No.

There are many reasons blacks commit more crimes, a lot of people have mentioned them here.

However, let me leave yall with this one tid bit of information: If you control for single parenthood, black and white crime is almost the same. Blacks had two parent households around 75% of the time in 1960. Today that number is around 25%. If you want to see a huge cause of crime, look no futher.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions