HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 10:07 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by haloj View Post
I am pretty sure that BB&B is confirmed. One of the managers that I used to work with is now a District Manager for them. I saw him over the winter and he told me it was a done deal then.
Welcome to the forum haloj!

And that is awesome news! That sounds like a pretty solid source and I would bet if there is that much strength behind the BB&B rumour then the Best Buy rumour has a pretty good chance too

Retail in Moncton is going through a large scale rejuvenation at this point...I see the three main retail "hubs" of the city all experiencing this.

- Champlain recently renovated and is now developing a "high-end" store image.

- The Mapleton Power Center is ramping up quickly with the possibility of up to 30 retailers setting up there (many new to the market).

- Finally there is a strong possibility of more retailers moving into downtown street front locations due to 3 factors; Champlains "local store boot"...the final closing of Highfield Square...and the high possibility of an events center coming soon.

All in all its a very exciting time for retail in Moncton...one of my wifes more "fashion savvy" co-workers exclaimed the other day "We're getting a Sephora in Moncton??? Who do we think we are Toronto?!"

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 8:34 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Not much new here but this is the T&T article today on the Mapleton Power Centre

Mapleton Power Centre work on schedule
Thursday, March 29, 2012
Times & Transcript
By: Shannon MacLeod

Two retailers opening in May, others in works as construction continues

Metro Moncton shoppers can soon expect to find out which retailers are going to be setting up shop in the new Mapleton Power Centre.

Construction is back on schedule and details are being ironed out. Monctonians have been waiting since the development stalled when American-based retailers's expansion plans were slowed by the recession a few years ago.

The developer of the power centre, Ashford Construction president Patrick Gillespie, remained tight-lipped about naming additional stores moving into the 280,000-square-foot shopping centre.

'It's the same as the last time, most of them don't want me to say anything, there are a couple that do,' he said.

Cleve's Source for Sports, currently at a temporary location on Record Street, and Golf Town are well under way to open later this spring.

'Two of them that are opening in May, Cleve's is relocating to a much larger store there and Golf Town are opening,' said Gillespie.

Last July at a Moncton city council meeting, development plans for the Mapleton Power Centre were handed out that identified five retailers as anchors for the shopping complex. Electronics giant Best Buy; housewares chain Bed, Bath and Beyond; pet supplier Petsmart and both Golf Town and Cleve's were named. But Gillespie said that aside from Cleve's and Golf Town, not all of the stores are ready to make announcements until they have an anticipated opening date.

read more:
http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=8683

The article does confirm that there will be a couple of restaurants as part of the development. The article does talk about PetSmart, Bed Bath & Beyond and Best Buy. The developer would not confirm these stores, but would not deny them either.

We have good evidence that both PetSmart and BB&B are coming. Best Buy remains a bit of a mystery but I remain confident that they are coming too.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 12:48 PM

So it is confirmed that Halifax is getting an Apple store at HSC. How long until we get one at Champlain, how cool would that be? Which under performing store at Champlain is getting the boot next. I've been hearing for a while that Fairweather is leaving and their lease won't be renewed. Nice amount of space ain't it (4200 sq ft)??

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 12:51 PM

Can't they just announce what's coming at the new Mapleton Center already, what's the hold-up? We've been talking about that piece of land for the past 5 years, it's getting old, tell us who's coming and when? I know, wishful thinking.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 1:04 PM

the bay

any news on whether the bay is closing or just moving to another location? WE need stores downtown. I walked down there the other day and yikes it is deserted. Even with the potential of a downtown metro centre (or what ever they will call it) people will want to shop the stores downtown, have a nice supper, or cafe. we have what 2 stores for shopping?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 1:10 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious View Post
any news on whether the bay is closing or just moving to another location?
No new developments here, but there is an online job posting for a position at the Bay in Moncton. If the store is closing by September, why would they be advertising for new workers?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 1:15 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
So it is confirmed that Halifax is getting an Apple store at HSC. How long until we get one at Champlain, how cool would that be? Which under performing store at Champlain is getting the boot next. I've been hearing for a while that Fairweather is leaving and their lease won't be renewed. Nice amount of space ain't it (4200 sq ft)??
I would agree that if Apple were ever to open a retail store in NB it would likely be in Moncton, but I don't think I would hold my breath on that one.

I think Apple belongs in the cohort of "super regional" stores (like A&F, Holt Renfrew etc) that would never set up shop in smaller regional centres like Moncton...

I could be wrong though, who would ever have thought that Moncton would get Sephora and Coach?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 1:43 PM

Bangor, ME is substantially smaller than Moncton and has major chains we don't, like your aforementioned A&F. (the region of Bangor is at 154,000, which is very comparable to the GMA)

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonL-Moncton View Post

Bangor, ME is substantially smaller than Moncton and has major chains we don't, like your aforementioned A&F. (the region of Bangor is at 154,000, which is very comparable to the GMA)
Comparing comparable US cities with Canadian ones when it comes to retail is a big no-no.

A&F being a US company, they're practically located in every regional or super-regional mall in the US, but in Canada they are only in a few places (Toronto, Etobicoke, Calgary, Edmonton). Aero & AE are way more aggressive in their expansion hence why we see them in all major malls in the US and Canada nowadays. Outside the US, A&F are very picky with their locations. With only 4 stores in Canada, I doubt that we will see that brand in Moncton before, Vancouver, Montreal, Ottawa, Winnipeg and so on, way larger markets...

Usually before a US company comes into Canada or really expands they are pretty much saturated in their own market/country, therefore it's not "fair" to compare Moncton and Bangor. Obviously Bangor will get some US stores way before us or get brands that we will never get here, because the fact of the matter is, they are in the US, it's as simple as that. A&F is in Bangor and not in Vancouver, there is no common sense in that, but it is what it is.

Last edited by OUIR@random; Mar 30, 2012 at 2:49 PM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 2:32 PM

I don't think this is the best thing for retail in Canada or our region... but the US cross border shopping experience is about to get a boost after June 1st, 2012; after 24h in the US you will be able to bring 200$ up from 50$, 800$ after 48 hours up from 200$, not too sure of the limit after more than 7 days, it used to be 750$ before IIRC. I guess we will see even more New Brunswickers in Bangor, Freeport and Kittery...

Last edited by OUIR@random; Mar 31, 2012 at 3:39 AM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Comparing comparable US cities with Canadian ones when it comes to retail is a big no-no.

A&F being a US company, they're practically located in every regional or super-regional mall in the US, but in Canada they are only in a few places (Toronto, Etobicoke, Calgary, Edmonton). Aero & AE are way more aggressive in their expansion hence why we see them in all major malls in the US and Canada nowadays. Outside the US, A&F are very picky with their locations. With only 4 stores in Canada, I doubt that we will see that brand in Moncton before, Vancouver, Montreal, Ottawa, Winnipeg and so on, way larger markets...

Usually before a US company comes into Canada or really expands they are pretty much saturated in their own market/country, therefore it's not "fair" to compare Moncton and Bangor. Obviously Bangor will get some US stores way before us or get brands that we will never get here, because the fact of the matter is, they are in the US, it's as simple as that. A&F is in Bangor and not in Vancouver, there is no common sense in that, but it is what it is.
Oh I realize that...I was just looking at it from a comparable US market size for 'sustainability' not draw to the actual chains. Some of the chains that I think we'll never see here (or won't for a very long time, like A&F or even their cheaper brand Hollister) would work VERY well here, as proven by some of your examples (Aero, AE, etc)...

I don't know if we are at the 'apple store' level just yet, but hey, if we can make a coach and sephora work...who knows.

JL

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 2:50 PM

Quote:
I don't know if we are at the 'apple store' level just yet, but hey, if we can make a coach and sephora work...who knows.

JL
Fingers crossed for Apple! It would be such a draw for Moncton.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 3:17 PM

Indeed!

Don't know how this bodes for the Mapleton Retail area:

Best Buy to close 50 stores in restructuring:

http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_new...-restructuring

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 3:32 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:

Indeed!

Don't know how this bodes for the Mapleton Retail area:

Best Buy to close 50 stores in restructuring:

http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_new...-restructuring
They're talking about US stores in overserved markets. I wouldn't be too worried. I'm sure they realize they would do well in the Moncton market.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 8:47 PM

I was downtown last week having diner at Tide and Boar Gastropub with my family, and after, I went for a walk down Main St. in direction of the Highfield Square. I noticed there was a new store that opened called Atthéa. It was closed (since it was around 7pm and they close at 6pm), but the owner came and opened the door for us. They opened 2 days before the day I went and I was really impressed. They sell upscale tea and tea making accessories, fine pastries and chocolates. I really liked the concept and the owner described the menu for us. They also make tea drinks and have a couple of tables where you can sit. She told us that they will have tea, fine chocolate and fine pastries tasting sessions once in a while and they will team up with chefs/chocolate and pastries makers and stores like Blue Olive (and more, but I don't really remember) for some sessions. The store had a nice atmosphere... And I think it's worth mentioning that one of the owner is one of the only (or the only) tea sommelier in the Maritimes - trust me she knows her stuff.

In case your wondering, no, I did not get paid for this "review", but I truly think it's a place worth visiting and that will have success.

Oh! And here's a picture I took (it's located in front of the Ale House and next to Garden House Restaurant).

Picture taken by me.

----------
On another related note, the future Colpitts Men Wear location on Main is under renos. I also heard somewhere that the Ale House is doing some renos too and is planning to open soon.

Well that's it! I guess it's good news for downtown!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 11:43 PM

I'm loving all these new retail investments on Main Street!

Last edited by OUIR@random; Mar 31, 2012 at 12:36 AM.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 1:22 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Soft Moc has now opened in their new location (old Roots store) at Champlain Place.

The old Soft Moc location has already been boarded up in preparation for renovations (?Pandora).

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:

I doubt Coach will be an outlet store at Champlain, if it was opening around Trinity it would be another story. ALL Coach stores in large regional malls are full price stores. There are 6 factory outlet Coach stores in Canada and they are all located in outlet type malls. My wife shops at Coach in the US, mainly in Coach outlet stores and they are mostly/all located in outdoor style outlet malls. Champlain is not an outlet mall. Sometimes I'm wrong, but my spouse is never wrong when it comes to Coach, so this is a sure shot.
I really don't see full price vs outlet as being an issue...the store will do fine. Take a walk around town and look at the bags many women are carying. Coach is already prominant but you'll also see a fair bit of Burberry and Louis Vuitton. That said, of the high end retailers doing this type of thing, Coach is one of the more affordable ones (we're not talking Prada or Hermes here). Still a good get for the area.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 12:26 AM

I don't think you got the point of my post. Also, I don't recall saying a full price store would be an issue or would not do well? I said Champlain is not an outlet mall, therefore it will not be an outlet store.
Yes, there's many people with knock-offs going around town. LOL

Last edited by OUIR@random; Apr 2, 2012 at 3:28 AM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 11:07 PM
Our Tide is Rising

New tennant next to Red Satay (across from the cathedral on St. George) is called Savannah RestoLounge.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces