HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 6:37 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Okay I see what your saying and yes I was confused there for a min especially by how it was worded in the article. Just a fan of watching the airport grow and of new direct flights. I'd prefer asking these questions when I have them since your all more versed in the finer details.

It's still exciting to hear about the changes they want.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 9:13 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Okay I see what your saying and yes I was confused there for a min especially by how it was worded in the article. Just a fan of watching the airport grow and of new direct flights. I'd prefer asking these questions when I have them since your all more versed in the finer details.

It's still exciting to hear about the changes they want.
No worries, my friend. I can see how the wording could be confusing. Anyway, the changes are really exciting to watch!

I, for one, am very eager to see and study the new (updated) master plan for the airport.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 9:20 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikkings711 View Post
http://www.mystatesman.com/news/tran...PnbsBk6OGlp3M/

From the article: "And a $350 million project to add nine passenger gates on the main terminal’s east side now needs additional funding, officials said, for more international gates, a concourse club for one airline and replacement of several of the downstairs baggage carousels."

Seems like they will add a Delta SkyClub to the 'port expansion. Or hopefully a Centurion Lounge...
Or possibly a British Airways lounge?!?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 12:07 AM
Closed account

Council passes additional funds to the airport expansion.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 12:43 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
No worries, my friend. I can see how the wording could be confusing. Anyway, the changes are really exciting to watch!

I, for one, am very eager to see and study the new (updated) master plan for the airport.
I'm also excited about that. Any word on when this master plan is supposed to be released? I guess I assumed it would be out by now.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 4:26 PM
Closed account

You can find a ton of info on all the changes approved yesterday at this link. It's items 3,5,6 and 7: http://www.austintexas.gov/departmen...170323-reg.htm

Here is some info on what was approved yesterday:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
I'm also excited about that. Any word on when this master plan is supposed to be released? I guess I assumed it would be out by now.
Quote:
The Request for Qualifications (RFQ) should be out late July with a recommended consultant going to Council for approval in October. Once the consultant is on board the whole Master Planning Process will take 18 months.
-City of Austin Aviation Dept. 06/30/17

I don't remember the council taking action on that but I might have missed it. Assuming they did, it would put the master plan for a Spring 2018 release.

The current expansion won't even be completed until 2019 and it's expected to cover capacity to 2025. The airport needs expanded much faster than originally anticipated but I'm assuming they are taking that into account with the 2025 estimate.

The current expansion also cost $350 million and that number has gone up since. The next phase would easily be a billion dollar project assuming they will build a new terminal which I feel is the only viable option. Adding tiers onto the current terminal will only clutter the gates and you would be adding flights without adding infrastructure capacity like baggage claims and airline front desks.

A elevated inter-terminal tram between two terminals can cost up to 100 million dollars (based on the train from Houston's IAH A and B terminal.

There is also the very real risk of a downturn in the economy. I'm not trying to make a point about Trump. I'm just saying that the economy is cyclical and I think the future of the convention center could be a part of that.

On top of THAT, adding airport space (whereever it is) adds employees which adds traffic. It pushes more for the need of train service from the airport to downtown for employees which is typically the driving force behind train/downtown connections in other cities.

TLDR: The timing of the masterplan isn't an easy jump to the next expansion. Finding the money will be extremely difficult.

Last edited by brando; Mar 24, 2017 at 4:41 PM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 7:17 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brando View Post
You can find a ton of info on all the changes approved yesterday at this link. It's items 3,5,6 and 7: http://www.austintexas.gov/departmen...170323-reg.htm

Here is some info on what was approved yesterday:

-City of Austin Aviation Dept. 06/30/17

I don't remember the council taking action on that but I might have missed it. Assuming they did, it would put the master plan for a Spring 2018 release.

The current expansion won't even be completed until 2019 and it's expected to cover capacity to 2025. The airport needs expanded much faster than originally anticipated but I'm assuming they are taking that into account with the 2025 estimate.

The current expansion also cost $350 million and that number has gone up since. The next phase would easily be a billion dollar project assuming they will build a new terminal which I feel is the only viable option. Adding tiers onto the current terminal will only clutter the gates and you would be adding flights without adding infrastructure capacity like baggage claims and airline front desks.

A elevated inter-terminal tram between two terminals can cost up to 100 million dollars (based on the train from Houston's IAH A and B terminal.

There is also the very real risk of a downturn in the economy. I'm not trying to make a point about Trump. I'm just saying that the economy is cyclical and I think the future of the convention center could be a part of that.

On top of THAT, adding airport space (whereever it is) adds employees which adds traffic. It pushes more for the need of train service from the airport to downtown for employees which is typically the driving force behind train/downtown connections in other cities.

TLDR: The timing of the masterplan isn't an easy jump to the next expansion. Finding the money will be extremely difficult.
I agree with your point about the economy and we can talk about the economy without directly talking about politics. I also feel there will be a slowdown and it's a legitimate topic when discussing future growth at the port.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 11:08 PM
World Traveler

Thanks for the response, Brando! Great info all around.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 4:30 AM
Member since 2001

I do not believe the next phase of expansion will include a new terminal. More than likely, they will build two piers extending out (south) from the current terminal (~10-12 gates each) and expand the check-in lobby north...possibly taking over space where the original parking garage currently sits.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 7:02 AM

That would be bad for security checkpoints..... It'd probably take me more time to get through ABIA than at LAX which has more terminals and this more checkpoints.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 2:08 PM
Air Traffic Controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
I do not believe the next phase of expansion will include a new terminal. More than likely, they will build two piers extending out (south) from the current terminal (~10-12 gates each) and expand the check-in lobby north...possibly taking over space where the original parking garage currently sits.

10-12 gates would cut off both Golf and Hotel taxiways. I don't believe this is a viable option at all.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 3:25 PM

I think the plan leaked a while back. They intend to fill in the west wing gap like the east to provide a second massive screening area. Then they will extend the ticketing counters to the atrium that drops down to baggage claim. Then add piers.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 4:57 PM

T

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 23, 2020 at 6:59 PM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 5:05 PM

[q

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 23, 2020 at 6:59 PM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 6:44 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
The current short term parking garage will be demolished and the terminal extended north for landside operations. That's where you'll gain both nonsecure and secure side footage. That footage will provide more than enough room for expansion.

The port is moving forward with building a new maintenance and police facility next to the state pooling board. That facility will break ground next year with a completion date slated for early 2020. That facility is currently located south of the control tower. That facility plus all the abandoned structures left by the USAF along with the South terminal will be razed to make room for new crossfield taxiways to accommodate piers being built for gate expansion. We're talking 15-20 years out unless an airline decides to create a hub which would accelerate everything.

New updated master plan should be released this summer but I'm not holding my breath.
Considering the company operating out of the south terminal just spent millions of dollars renovating it and signed a FOURTY year lease, I'm going to take everything in your post with a grain of salt.

Also, razing a parking garage is like shooting yourself in the foot. It's already dense parking but I guess you never know.

Where are you basing all of these claims? The city of austin aviation Rep told me it would take 18 months to work through the master plan which sounds more reasonable than 8-9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXboom View Post
I think the plan leaked a while back. They intend to fill in the west wing gap like the east to provide a second massive screening area. Then they will extend the ticketing counters to the atrium that drops down to baggage claim. Then add piers.
What west side gap? the west side doesn't have the same hold that the east side had filled up.

I don't know. Adding tiers just seems like a tremendous amount of clutter. There is a reason that just about every airport in a major city has multiple terminals. I could see it if they could extend the terminal even more but adding depth and losing elbow room doesn't seem like a great option but I'm not an expert.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 6:45 PM

I've been keeping up with this forum for a while now, and have just got to creating an account. I just recently flew out of Austin, and flew back in. And my god how full our airport stays. I noticed for the 2 hours I was there early in the morning that everytime a plane was pushed back another would come right in.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 7:00 PM
Closed account

Double post

Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 5:07 PM

[q

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 23, 2020 at 6:58 PM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 4:56 PM

C

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 23, 2020 at 6:58 PM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 7:46 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
Construction updates.....

http://www.austintexas.gov/blogs/con...ruction-update

Also starting in April Gray Army Airfield (GRK) up in Killeen is being renovated so all military traffic and charters will land here and bus up to Fort Hood. Should last approximately a year.

Heard the South terminal will operate 5 days a week upon opening with no flights scheduled on Tuesdays and Saturdays. Frontier is planning on moving to the terminal this summer. If that occurs the terminal will operate 7 days a week.
That's really interesting. I guess they figure people arrive in cities in Thursday and Fridays and leave Sundays and Mondays.

Is there a guess of how many flights will operate per week on opening? I wonder if it's going to take people some time to figure out how to get to the south terminal. You have to exit RIverside on 71 east to get to 183 south. I'm sure there will be a decent amount of people that show up at the main terminal by mistake. It's too bad there isn't a road that goes around a runway to get to the south terminal parking lot from the main airport entrance but it doesn't seem like there is room on either side.

Did the airport buy more land in the last couple years? The county owns land right to the east but operate a jail there as well as a bunch of sports fields.

Last edited by brando; Mar 28, 2017 at 7:58 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin