HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Nov 25, 2016, 1:18 PM

More info has come out for the old Seagull Motel land it's supposed to become a 3 story 33 unit condo complex with what seems to be single car garages for all units on the main level.

They should look like these Townhomes on Bulman Drive in Moncton:https://www.google.ca/maps/@46.12509...2!8i6656?hl=en

Should also point out one of those NIMBY type groups seems to have come out full force against it.

Last edited by Scarface; Nov 30, 2016 at 3:44 AM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 1:16 PM

I noticed this morning that the new twinned section of highway between Shediac Cape and Shediac Bridge is now open. They have been working really hard to get this new interchange open and now their focus has switched to the over pass and traffic circle to connect up to highway 15. The twinned roadbed under the new overpass is complete and ready for pave, they will just have to connect up with all the existing infrastructure to complete and complete the overpass over highway 15.

It has been impressive the progress they have made but I'm guessing they are getting to the end of their work for this year. It will be impressive to see how quickly they complete everything next year.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2017, 6:42 PM

Home Hardware is fully open in there new location, and it looks like the old Location now has for lease signs up in the doorway. Also it looks like some Shediac Residents are trying to get near by developers to come develop in Shediac, and surrounding areas.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2017, 7:53 PM

Where did Home Hardware relocate too? Given the growing population I can see more retailers/development in Shediac.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2017, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
Where did Home Hardware relocate too? Given the growing population I can see more retailers/development in Shediac.
in the old Saans location at the front of the property. It's a larger location.

I was looking at there old locations size they could take out a small chunk 1000 Sq Ft give or take, and make some sort of fast food location, and use the rest either for a Giant Tiger, or a store of similar caliber.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 12:31 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

So I see that Victor Boudreau has recused himself from any discussions or debates dealing with the bacterial contamination issues at Parlee Beach.

This is only fitting. Regardless of whether or not there was an actual conflict of interest here, there is absolutely no question there was at least the appearance of a conflict of interest.

Regardless, this is a serious issue, and I strongly believe that a solution to the water quality issues at Parlee Beach has to be found before any new campground developments are greenlighted.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 1:32 PM

Unless the contamination is coming from the sewage plant, then I don't see a reason why the new campground can't go ahead (it will be 100% hooked up to the sewage plant.)
However, I don't "get" how Victor was not in conflict on Monday, but recuses himself on Wednesday to avoid the appearance of a conflict.
I'm not buying that having the guy who has an interest in a mega-million$ campground, also being in charge of the department that lied consistently about pollution levels over the past several years. Terrible optics there! And I'm being very kind here.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 11:15 PM

Some renders of the Main street beautification project starting this month in Shediac. I think it looks great except for not taking this opportunity to bury the power lines. This is what the St-George street upgrades should have looked like.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 11:54 PM

Does anybody know if construction has started on the highway 15/11 connection yet? I believe that project is to be completed this construction season.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
Does anybody know if construction has started on the highway 15/11 connection yet? I believe that project is to be completed this construction season.
They are working on the overpass over highway 15 right now.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 12:40 AM
ハルウララ

Yeah, funny how powerlines mysteriously don't exist in those renders. Shame they're not being buried.

The street rework looks good. Creating tighter passages for cars to drive through will naturally slow them down and make it a bit of a quieter street for vehicles which should, in turn, make it better for pedestrians. Shediac having a more pedestrian-friendly Main Street should go a long way towards the slow urbanization of that commuter centre.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 2:33 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

I wonder how much it would cost them to bury the utilities along Main Street?

This would seem to be a golden opportunity to do this, rather than retrospectively deciding to bury the utilities in a decades time, and have to dig everything up again in order to do it..........

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 9:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
Some renders of the Main street beautification project starting this month in Shediac. I think it looks great except for not taking this opportunity to bury the power lines. This is what the St-George street upgrades should have looked like.
Love the rendering pictures, and do hope main street will look like this, or close in style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Yeah, funny how powerlines mysteriously don't exist in those renders. Shame they're not being buried.

The street rework looks good. Creating tighter passages for cars to drive through will naturally slow them down and make it a bit of a quieter street for vehicles which should, in turn, make it better for pedestrians. Shediac having a more pedestrian-friendly Main Street should go a long way towards the slow urbanization of that commuter centre.
I love this way of thinking hopefully more people "Shediac drivers" feel the same way. I Hope the power lines are being buried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I wonder how much it would cost them to bury the utilities along Main Street?

This would seem to be a golden opportunity to do this, rather than retrospectively deciding to bury the utilities in a decades time, and have to dig everything up again in order to do it..........
Well seeing, and hearing the cost in other cities. It would be less as they are already digging the area out. but for the underground power lines as I've seen it would cost whatever the price of an underground chamber that is buried below the 4 Foot frost line, and line placement along with connection boxes for every building so I'd say potentially a million or so per 20-30 foot run. That is just an estimate, and it also depends on how far (length wise) they will have the lines buried as well.

Last edited by JHikka; Apr 11, 2017 at 9:53 PM. Reason: Photo quoting redundancy

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 12:16 PM

I was talking to one of the town counselors last fall about the potential of burying the lines and he said that it was a cost the town wasn't willing to pay, he did mention however that they were potentially going to move the lines behind the buildings so they weren't over Main st., but looking at these renders it doesn't look like that is happening either. I do hope that they decide to do something with the lines.

On a side note, I was out for a jog last night and noticed that preliminary work on the on/off ramps for highway 15 at Chesley st. have started. It looks like they have started work on moving the walking trail. This project should be done before they start phase 2 of the Main street project to allow residents another way into and out of town.

As far as the highway 15/11 interchange, they have been working on that all winter long, they only had about a 2 week break around Christmas and New Years. I was surprising to see them out on those really cold days where it was -20 still working but they did and made tremendous progress through the winter. I have a feeling that the interchange itself will now quickly be completed as the weather starts to warm up.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 11:22 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Mt. A study raises link between urbanization and water contamination at Parlee Beach
Mount Allison students looked at more than 13,000 water-quality samples dating back to 1940s
By Vanessa Blanch, Gabrielle Fahmy, CBC News Posted: Apr 10, 2017 12:28 PM AT|
Last Updated: Apr 10, 2017 7:09 PM AT
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...each-1.4063457

Quote:
One key finding was a relationship between periods of heavy rain and bacterial content in the water. An important contributor to contamination is runoff from the ground during those periods.

Campbell said that includes poorly designed septic systems or sewage lagoons that overflow with rain, and pipes in the municipal sewer system that might be poorly connected, so fecal content ends up one way or another getting into the ground and washing away into the sea.
Quote:
A second group of students mapped changes in land use in Shediac over the years. Although they indicate more research is needed to come to conclusions, they raised the possibility of land use changing from forest or wetland, into gravel — as happens during urbanization, causing more runoff into the bay, due to an increase in surfaces that doesn't allow fluids to pass through them.

When asked whether he thought the contamination could be tied to development, Campbell said, "I think that's a good hypothesis."

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 12:18 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Up to $3M announced to improve Parlee Beach water quality
Reaction mixed to plans, which also declare beach a 'unique feature of the environment'
By Jordan Gill, CBC News Posted: May 10, 2017 2:34 PM AT
Last Updated: May 10, 2017 6:18 PM AT
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...each-1.4108510

Quote:
The provincial and federal governments will spend up to $3 million on Parlee Beach infrastructure and studies aimed at improving the water, they announced Wednesday.

The beach will also be declared a "unique feature of the environment," which means developments that might have an impact on Parlee water quality will trigger an automatic review by the Department of Environment and Local Government to see if an environmental impact assessment is necessary.
Quote:
The federal government is pitching in $828,000 through the gas tax fund to upgrade wastewater infrastructure in Pointe-du-Chêne. The figure includes the approval up to $850,000 for the Greater Shediac Sewerage Commission for lift station upgrades.

Other projects include an upgrade to the Parlee Beach Provincial Park sewage lift stations, upgrading pump-out stations for boats, education and enforcement of dog care at the beach, installation of buoys farther from the swimming area and upgrades to the Murray Beach sewage lagoon.

Several studies will be conducted, including a monitoring of outfall pipes in Shediac Bay to determine the impact of storm-water runoff on water quality in the bay. The province will also spend $10,000 to investigate agricultural operations in the area to determine what effect they have on water quality.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 3:28 AM

I heard from retired Fisherman's Paradise staff that Bel-Air Restaurant in Cap-Pele will be setting up shop at the old Fisherman's Paradise in Shediac.

That's all I know. If rumor is correct, awesome! Save me an extra 10km drive...one way!

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budyser View Post
I heard from retired Fisherman's Paradise staff that Bel-Air Restaurant in Cap-Pele will be setting up shop at the old Fisherman's Paradise in Shediac.

That's all I know. If rumor is correct, awesome! Save me an extra 10km drive...one way!
Nice. The family and I make the trek out to the Bel Air a couple of times per summer. The shorter drive will be appreciated.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budyser View Post

They are in fact renovating the old Fisherman's Paradise and there is a sign that they will be re-opening soon under the same name. No inside knowledge if it's linked to Bel-Air or not

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 1:31 PM

Apparently Targets Fried Chicken is re-opening in June after whats seems like more than a decade since it was last open.
I passed by there last night and there was activity inside, what looked like renovations, as well as activity around the property. I also noticed the for sale sign has been removed. It will be interesting if they were able to purchase the recipe from the former owners, from what I understand that was one of the issues for people who attempted to purchase the property in the past.
Either way, it is nice to see that the restaurant will re-open, hopefully they will be able to make it work.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces