HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Secret's out, it's only downhill from here

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 3:39 PM

Sweet Renderings For Francisville Apartment Building

Read more here:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...tment-building

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 3:42 PM

New Building Coming Soon, Around the Corner From Jewelers Row

700 block of Walnut

Read more here:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...r-jewelers-row

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 11:20 PM

Another sign of life during these trying times:

Quote:
D.C.-area real estate brokerage enters Philadelphia market with eye on life sciences

Continued growth in Philadelphia’s cell and gene therapy and biotech industry has prompted a Maryland real estate firm to expand into the market.

Scheer Partners Inc. focuses on a range of commercial real estate services as it relates to the life science industry. The firm has hired Paul “Tim” Conrey, a veteran of Philadelphia’s real estate industry who has worked for a several local brokerages but most recently was with Tactix Real Estate Advisors. Conrey will lead the Philadelphia office, located in Cira Centre, and look to eventually build the team.

The entry of Scheer Partners into Philadelphia comes as other commercial real estate firms have bolstered their life science practices, citing continued demand from tenants in the sector looking for space. For example, CBRE Inc.’s life science teams, which is led by a team in Boston, now includes Bob Zwengler, Ken Zirk, Matthew Knowles, Anthony Pell, Phil Share, and others based in Philadelphia.
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...la-market.html

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 1:24 AM

27 Units + Retail Rising at Ridge and Allegheny

Read more here:
http://www.rising.realestate/27-unit...fuqIkd6QNggRE4

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 1:28 AM

^^This is amazing by the way. Love that this area of Allegheny West is starting to be redeveloped.

Strawberry Mansion is slowly starting to be redeveloped as well.

All we need from there is for Parkside to be redeveloped.

Could you imagine every neighborhood around Fairmount Park being nice and redeveloped? They really all should be. Bordering the park should be prime real estate. Should Allegheny, Strawberry Mansion and Parkside redevelop, that would mean Logan Square/Museum District, Spring Garden, Fairmount, Brewerytown, East Falls, Wynnefield Heights, Wynnefield, Allegheny West, Strawberry Mansion and Parkside all bordering Fairmount Park. Would be a great collection of neighborhoods.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 1:29 AM

86 Units + Commercial Space Coming to Kensington’s Harbison’s Dairy Building

Read more here:
http://www.rising.realestate/86-unit...T2LFRJmdkD4lBQ

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 3:55 AM

CDR IS BACK!!!!

Next meeting June 9th. Mostly smaller projects. I like 4440 Ridge Ave a lot. Nice project in Tioga as well. Nice to see the area around Temple Hospital continue to build up. Nice project on N. Front St too.

https://www.phila.gov/documents/civi...ing-materials/

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 3:45 PM

2100 Hamilton looks like it is built on stilts. Sorry for the blurriness. I was reaching over the fence, trying to be quick.

Anyone know what is going on at 20th and Sansom?

The last house on the northwest corner of broad and spring garden has been knocked down. It might have been like this for a while now.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 5:22 PM

I cannot express how much I am in love with the giant milk bottle on the roof of the Harbison's project.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Rendell was what Philadelphia needed at the time.
I second that and even had a picture taken with him.

Quote:
Nutter was exceptional. I think often about how much progress the city would be making on these problems if Nutter had Kenney's (growing) tax revenue. It would be night and day, the output.
I talked to different people about Nutter and all I can say is that Nutter was very underwhelming. From property tax increases to gentrification, to major businesses leaving the city either for the suburbs like Lincoln Financial or other cities like Sunoco to Dallas, I was never impressed with Nutter. Kenney is better and even then, there are issues with him such as the beverage tax and the failure to lower business taxes to keep this city competitive.

Quote:
Everyone else was varying degrees of garbage. Street was by far the worst, but Kenney isn't far behind. I was too young to have a perspective on Wilson Goode.
Opinions. I can understand Street being just as polarizing as Rizzo, but I'll admit that Street did maintain the number of reputable businesses here during his watch from 2000 - 2008 and Nutter doesn't have that cache other for being too aloof for not just blacks, but even whites and Latinos. And you have to remember, during Street's councilman years, he was Rendell's right hand man and Rendell did endorse Street in the 1999 election.

Quote:
Reinhart and Domb both have the potential to be very good mayors.
Not acquainted with Reinhart but selecting a real estate developer is dicey, especially since people from all walks of life are complaining about gentrification. As far as mayor goes, I'd love to see Rendell come back for maybe 4 more years at the very least.

Quote:
I like Helen Gym where she is. I know she is the most popular politician in the city but I think she's too progressive to be the executive in a city which has to make difficult decisions to cut waste and fat. I like her more on council to hold people accountable and come up with good policy. She'd be a good Council President.
I like Gym personally, but I can see a Latino being mayor before an Asian. There's more of a black/Latino coalition in Philly than there is a Black/Asian one and the Black/Asian one is one where blacks are the consumers and Asians are the business owners.

This isn't running on stereotypes, but as a black man that has lived in this city for almost two decades, I've noticed these things going on in not just Philly, but in my birth city of NYC, especially with Koreans. Gym is Korean, and her ethnicity has no bearing on my opinion of her, but Koreans have been known to be the most "white worshipping" of the Asian diaspora.

There are Chinese and Japanese that want to stay Chinese and Japanese, and it seems like groups like the Vietnamese, Cambodians, and Laotians who tend to be more "urban" than the typical Asian in terms fashion, lingo, and even income, but with Peter Liang in Brooklyn, and now Tou Thao in the Twin Cities, I see it to be vey tough politically for Asians to make it to statewide and executive offices outside the West Coast, let alone Philadelphia for at least 20 - 25 more years.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2020, 2:11 PM

^ Jesus Christ, dude. There are some Asian communities you neglected to stereotype. Don't want to leave anyone out.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2020, 11:01 PM

Fed government grants Philly $30M for affordable housing at former Blumberg tower site

Quote:
The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development has granted Philadelphia $30 million to help build 1,200 homes for low-income residents centered on the site of the former Norman Blumberg Apartments public-housing complex.

The grant will enable the Philadelphia Housing Authority to tap more than $200 million to continue work toward what it’s calling its Sharswood Transformation Plan, covering an area bounded by 19th and 27th Streets and Girard and Cecil B. Moore Avenues in North Philadelphia, the agency’s president and chief executive, Kelvin A. Jeremiah, said Monday.
Read more here:
https://www.inquirer.com/news/sharsw...-20200427.html

Old Posted Jun 7, 2020, 1:49 AM
Philly Rising Up!

I'm hopeful that we will start to see Philly get more federal funding for many projects in infrastructure, transportation, housing, etc in 2021. Firstly, the Amtrak's 30th Street Station plan and the surrounding developments in planning or implementation phase (aka SY).

Old Posted Jun 7, 2020, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
I second that and even had a picture taken with him.
You're so old Philly.

Literally nothing you state is grounded in fact. Just all subjective garbage.

Nutter lead during a financial crisis. In spite of that, he precided over the first sustained population growth in generations, reformed the zoning code (facilitating much of the construction you see today), crime plummeted, all the while holding the line on taxes if not reforming taxes in some areas.

Kenney has done literally none of that. Population growth has ebbed, crime has skyrocketed, and he's accomplished this all by spending an extra billion in a time of unprecedented economic growth.

This is not an opinion. The numbers bear out those facts. Kenney's a garbage mayor.

He hasn't even been able to execute on minor campaign pledges like street cleaning and removing that stupid Rizzo statue. Had the events of the past two weeks not happened, it would have never come down.

He's feckless and ineffective.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2020, 4:02 PM

Quote:
You're so old Philly.

Literally nothing you state is grounded in fact. Just all subjective garbage.

Nutter lead during a financial crisis. In spite of that, he precided over the first sustained population growth in generations, reformed the zoning code (facilitating much of the construction you see today), crime plummeted, all the while holding the line on taxes if not reforming taxes in some areas.

Kenney has done literally none of that. Population growth has ebbed, crime has skyrocketed, and he's accomplished this all by spending an extra billion in a time of unprecedented economic growth.

This is not an opinion. The numbers bear out those facts. Kenney's a garbage mayor.

He hasn't even been able to execute on minor campaign pledges like street cleaning and removing that stupid Rizzo statue. Had the events of the past two weeks not happened, it would have never come down.

He's feckless and ineffective.
And how is any of that anything but subjective garbage? Nice opinion but almost none of that is true or on Kenneys hands.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2020, 9:13 PM

3rd&Brown is right, Kenney was handed a great economy and somehow made the city worse. Easily the worst mayor since Wilson Goode, even worse than John Street.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 5:19 PM

while i partially agree. Kenney is not the cities best mayor, but far from the worst, there are great things he has done, such as the action plan to life 100,000 out of poverty in the city, as well as bringing or helping to bring, more affordable house into the city. But yes there are some not good things, and bad things he has done, and mistakes that he has made

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Fed government grants Philly $30M for affordable housing at former Blumberg tower site

Read more here:
https://www.inquirer.com/news/sharsw...-20200427.html
I'm glad that the city was able to secure grant money, but I still think that this was a land grab by an agency that typically builds suburban garbage at an astronomically high cost per unit. Instead of demolishing beautiful rowhomes that had great bones, the PHA could have elected to renovate them and put them back into productive use.

I hope that the PHA has learned lessons from its past projects, but I don't have much confidence in that agency to build quality projects that conform to the given urban environment.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitect13 View Post
while i partially agree. Kenney is not the cities best mayor, but far from the worst, there are great things he has done, such as the action plan to life 100,000 out of poverty in the city, as well as bringing or helping to bring, more affordable house into the city. But yes there are some not good things, and bad things he has done, and mistakes that he has made
My two cents, up until the last ten days I'd say the biggest trouble Kenney has had in his term is in what he hasn't done, which for me is most clearly shown by the huge increases in spending and very little to show for it. He has mentioned many good and interesting actions, but as much as anything it means the City has been treading water. Little baby steps like increasing the funding to the Historic Commission while certainly not nothing, they haven't gotten close to allowing preservation in the City to move forward, to take big steps. That's just one example

But, I hope that going forward and dealing with the stressed budget, police department reform (again and never ending!) and looking at institutional racism in a meaningful way (not very easy) gives him a chance to define his time in office, one way or the other.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development