HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton_rogue View Post

<p>

Is it just the photo, or does the sidewalk have a >2% cross slope (ADA violation)?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
Is it just the photo, or does the sidewalk have a >2% cross slope (ADA violation)?
It's just the wide angle camera setting on my iPhone.

And, I was walking my dog while taking the photos so they are less than exceptional

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 9:58 PM

I removed "Parsley HQ" from the thread title because they just announced the closure of their Austin operations which had ~500 employees at year end 2019.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...Pos=0#cxrecs_s

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 10:52 PM
Austinite

You win some you lose some

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs View Post
You win some you lose some
Ha. I was thinking the same thing because this and the Oracle news happed around the same time. But now we have a shiny new office tower for Facebook or Oracle.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 2:30 AM

Nice crown lighting on this one.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Somebody tell Facebook.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Anyone have a pic?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 4:40 PM

Here’s a link to a picture I took of it. On my phone so can’t obtain a link to post photo here at this time. Lighting is only visible from north and south.

https://twitter.com/justinbaudoin/st...413878274?s=21

Last edited by deerhoof; Dec 12, 2020 at 5:34 PM.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhoof View Post
Here’s a link to a picture I took of it. On my phone so can’t obtain a link to post photo here at this time. Lighting is only visible from north and south.

https://twitter.com/justinbaudoin/st...413878274?s=21

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 10:24 PM
Meh

I saw it last night. It really does look nice. The emphasis was more linear than I was expecting from afar, but from up close, it bathes the crown in light. It's also pretty subtle, which is good. It seems that they have two sets of LEDs lighting it. One set on the main roof looking up to light that curtainwall, and another set looking down those spines in the crown. You can kind of see them in deerhoof's photo up there. From up close, they look like two small points of light and the light on those spines becomes more faint from that vantage point. It's kind of a neat lighting design since it appears differently depending on how close you are.

Also, the Independent was lit differently last night. The crown was a soft white with vertical red columns shining up the crown in the middle columns, and green ones, though, it was sort of hard to tell, on the corners. The Monarch also looked good last night. Man, I miss seeing that tower more. It's kind of gotten buried on the skyline. It's a shame, because I've always considered it one of our all around best towers day and night.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 11:57 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I saw it last night. It really does look nice. The emphasis was more linear than I was expecting from afar, but from up close, it bathes the crown in light. It's also pretty subtle, which is good. It seems that they have two sets of LEDs lighting it. One set on the main roof looking up to light that curtainwall, and another set looking down those spines in the crown. You can kind of see them in deerhoof's photo up there. From up close, they look like two small points of light and the light on those spines becomes more faint from that vantage point. It's kind of a neat lighting design since it appears differently depending on how close you are.

Also, the Independent was lit differently last night. The crown was a soft white with vertical red columns shining up the crown in the middle columns, and green ones, though, it was sort of hard to tell, on the corners. The Monarch also looked good last night. Man, I miss seeing that tower more. It's kind of gotten buried on the skyline. It's a shame, because I've always considered it one of our all around best towers day and night.
I agree about Monarch. Have always liked that building.

I also like how the lighting came out with this tower, but having said that... (and I know people will already be thinking what I'm going to say next)... really wish it wasn't white or more to the point, really wish 3rd and Colorado wasn't white. If this tower was built further away from it's neighbor across the street, the lighting would be much more striking as a stand alone. But since it's not a whole lot taller than 3rd and Colorado with its white lit crown, from certain angles, the lighting of the two buildings blend together. They get lost and undefined on the skyline. Changing it's neighbor's coloration would separate them and both buildings would be more defined.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 9:46 AM
Meh

I think the white is pretty and probably more attractive than the Colorado Tower's crown which looks dated to me in the age of LEDs now. But yeah, I could see it having some color for special events on this one. I think our two best lit buildings right now in terms of their versatility is the Independent and the Monarch.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 5:46 PM

How come this doesn't look or feel like 446' tall?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2020, 6:09 AM
Meh

I've noticed that, too, but I think it's because it's getting overshadowed by The Austonian, and to a lesser extent, the W. It also sits back another block north of the river, which makes the south side views of it less impressive than the W and Austonian. It's also taller than the Colorado Tower across the street, but not by much - just 49 feet. The views from the north, east, and west are almost non-existent.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 19, 2020, 4:34 PM

View from Austin City Hall.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 3:08 PM

Looks like Facebook was recently in talks to take over this whole building, but the negotiations have fallen through. Very interesting considering the rumors milling about Facebook looking for office space. https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...ook-lease.html

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 5:11 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
Looks like Facebook was recently in talks to take over this whole building, but the negotiations have fallen through. Very interesting considering the rumors milling about Facebook looking for office space. https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...ook-lease.html
***Copied from the Economic Development Thread***

I would not read too much into this.

This was more of a function of Facebook negotiating for a rate lower than to what Parsley was willing to agree. Remember, Parsley is still on the hook for this entire building.

Facebook was negotiating to take over Parsley's lease. And, they were looking for a deal (more than likely below market rate). At the moment, there does not seem to be a good enough deal to be had in this building.

I don't blame them for trying. Parsley (more specifically, its parent company) are pretty desperate to offload this lease. But, not desperate enough to cut a deal for whatever Facebook was requesting.

As the article suggested, Facebook may look at 6X. They may also take a look at The Republic, or maybe a combo of Stonelake's new tower and the BBVA/PNC tower. Heck, Parsley (via JLL - the leasing agent for 300 Colorado) may call them back to the table in the near future.

Walking away is not a rare occurrence when playing the leasing game.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 1:24 PM

The front desk of this is now staffed by what looks like a security guard. Even though there are no tennants, I guess that means this is open?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
The front desk of this is now staffed by what looks like a security guard. Even though there are no tennants, I guess that means this is open?
I would say so. If Parsley still existed or if they had a tenant, they would have probably moved in by now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin