HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 7:44 PM

There is only one chain that sells video games - EB Games. They are the Canadian operations for GameStop, and yes GameStop on Taylor is part of EB Games Canada despite the branding issues. They supposedly have a large cash reserve which helps prop up their on-going operations which currently run effectively break-even (in the +5% to -5% range). They are also trying to pivot heavily to gaming/nerd/pop culture physical goods over gaming. In some gaming circles they are often mocked as being more about Funko Pop (small plastic figures) than games now.

In terms of PnP Games, it is a Winnipeg based, multi-location operation. They focus more on buying and reselling older (classic) games. As these are out of print and often rare they are more like an antique furniture dealer than say The Brick. They have a niche and will likely stick around even if the larger market shifts to digital. They have both a significant online presence and three stores in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
This past weekend EB Games did a massive round of permanent store closures across Canada. So far have only been able to confirm the stand alone store on Regent closed locally. The mall locations for Polo Park, Garden City and St Vital are also not showing on their store locator but some say those are temporary closures due to current restrictions.

Also apparently sometime before this wave the store in Selkirk, MB was closed.

It is expected that more locations will close too as their main profit area has been second hand games (they buy low and sell high). The market is deep into a transition to digital-first purchases which kills off the second hand market.
Not surprised. The parent company has been in big financial trouble pre-covid. New someone who worked there pre-covid and the their big money maker was selling extended warranty.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 8:38 PM

Godiva (Chocolates) will be closing all its North America stores, including its Polo Park location.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/god...ores-1.5883575

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 7:53 PM

RIP - Winnipeg Square Starbucks.

Last day was Jan 29, 2021.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 7:58 PM

So that's 2 out of the 3 Portage and Main Starbucks gone now.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
So that's 2 out of the 3 Portage and Main Starbucks gone now.
Show your work. From my view they are all gone.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldSmith View Post
Show your work. From my view they are all gone.
Is the one under Lombard Place gone too?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 10:51 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Is the one under Lombard Place gone too?
It's been closed since the pandemic began, but whether it is temporary or not remains to be seen (unless someone knows for sure).

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 11:26 PM

Starbucks is closing almost all their locations without drive-thrus in Canada, unless they are far outperforming standards. The Academy location closed last week and was always packed and busy, the only coffee shop in an affluent neighbourhood. They also closed the one in Little Italy a few weeks ago.

It's shitty that they're pivoting to focus on drive-thru's mostly, but it does actually open up an opportunity for independent shops to open in often underserviced areas - with the units already being setup and ready to be a cafe.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 11:34 PM

there's always a place for tim's in the world but i find starbucks to be more of a dispensable model in the higher tier of the coffee world. good effing riddance!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 12:21 AM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Starbucks is closing almost all their locations without drive-thrus in Canada, unless they are far outperforming standards. The Academy location closed last week and was always packed and busy, the only coffee shop in an affluent neighbourhood. They also closed the one in Little Italy a few weeks ago.

It's shitty that they're pivoting to focus on drive-thru's mostly, but it does actually open up an opportunity for independent shops to open in often underserviced areas - with the units already being setup and ready to be a cafe.
I wish the whole building would be torn down and replaced with something without a parking lot in the front. Really kills the streetscape on that stretch of Corydon. Same with the sev a block away. Mind you, the area is already pretty saturated with coffee shops so I'm not surprised that Starbucks is taking a hit.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 1:27 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
there's always a place for tim's in the world but i find starbucks to be more of a dispensable model in the higher tier of the coffee world. good effing riddance!

For the same reason you wouldn't find yourself at Bailley's or Hy's.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 3:14 PM

Quote:

This is just factually wrong from top to bottom.

1. Most of the Starbucks locations which are closing are older locations running and older store format. It isn't entire based around drive-thru yes/no as demostrated by the Pembina (north of Bishop) location which had the old style with a drive thru and was closed.

2. The model they were running were it was "okay" to by a short drip coffee (literally the cheapest thing they sold) and sit in the dining room all day on your laptop and plugged into their power was beyond broken an abused by customers. I am honestly surprised when some locations, such as Henderson, did renovations they made it even easier for customers to access power outlets.

3. Saying they are focusing on drive-thrus going forward is a half-truth. Their new model is on actually on selling product that is not consumed on site. That shift actually started before the pandemic too with a walk up only service counter with no seating in Toronto.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
I wish the whole building would be torn down and replaced with something without a parking lot in the front. Really kills the streetscape on that stretch of Corydon. Same with the sev a block away. Mind you, the area is already pretty saturated with coffee shops so I'm not surprised that Starbucks is taking a hit.
Definitely agree with the parking lot statement. But I don't really think the area is near saturated for coffee... you have Make and Bar I (which many won't go to).

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 5:40 PM

When did the Starbuck inside Chapters (St Vital & Polo Festival) permanently close?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 5:50 PM

Starbucks is closing shops around Canada, even in Toronto. This is not just a Winnipeg issue.

https://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/202...ently-toronto/

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 6:31 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Definitely agree with the parking lot statement. But I don't really think the area is near saturated for coffee... you have Make and Bar I (which many won't go to).
Bar I has the best coffee in that area, but aside from that and Make, it seems every little storefront has coffee on offer. A block away, French way has a coffee counter to compliment their other operations, across the street theres that cocoa place, literally every gelato place does coffee too. Maybe not at the moment, but theres a lot around.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 7:25 PM

I guess in hindsight 2019 was peak coffee... we still had all the Tims and Starbucks locations, and the third wave shops were still ascendant. I would think that something had to give even without Covid as a factor.

Starbucks is a bit like Tim Hortons in that it has likely peaked in Canada. In much the same way that Boomers seemingly made up the core of Tim Hortons' customer base, Gen Xers were Starbucks' stronghold. You don't really see the young under 30 folks clamoring for Starbucks... they're all at Parlour and Thom Bargen.

It was kind of nice while it lasted though, all those coffee shops generating foot traffic around the downtown and surrounding areas.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Bar I has the best coffee in that area, but aside from that and Make, it seems every little storefront has coffee on offer. A block away, French way has a coffee counter to compliment their other operations, across the street theres that cocoa place, literally every gelato place does coffee too. Maybe not at the moment, but theres a lot around.
Many places do but I wouldn’t really consider them coffee shops, more restaurant-cafes. Don’t think many people are going any of those other places t grab a coffee very much. Maybe get a coffee when you’re eating in or picking up bread, but that’s a bit different to me.

Agreed tho Bar I makes some of the best coffee in the city.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 7:44 PM

I had to go to London Drugs today so I took a spin around St. Vital mall for the first time since sometime in the summer or early fall... it is downright grim in there. More stores are closed, you can't access Chapters and The Bay from the mall itself and they are attempting to fill vacancies with flea market calibre vendors.

I haven't been to any other malls lately, but St. Vital is pretty well in a nosedive.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan