HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 5:38 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslusarc View Post
We shop @ the Regent Ave Costco and have a Disabled Parking Permit and its usually impossible to find an empty Disabled Parking spot at that location because the store is so busy.
Yeah I know, no one goes there anymore because it's so busy!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 2:36 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordTR View Post
I have the plans direct from rm. Its a done deal.
Well shit....I say you and me just go out and build it then. Get-er-done!
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
Didn't they just expand that lot too?
They expanded it to the north of Reenders. The gas bar took over some of the original lot when they did they overall reconfiguration a few years back. Doesn't help with disabled stalls. Costco Regent is really busy all the time.. I avoid it like the plague. Maybe if you go weekday mornings it might not be busy.

Hopefully the Costco near Main St will be built relatively quickly. Ie: Road is being built in 2021, Costco open 2022.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 4:12 PM

Re disabled parking. After a major foot injury I had a pass and there are only two places you can never find a spot: Costco and Walmart. Doesn't matter what time of day or which location in the city you go to but it seems to always be the case. It seems to be a Winnipeg problem as I didn't notice it being the same in Phoenix.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
They expanded it to the north of Reenders. The gas bar took over some of the original lot when they did they overall reconfiguration a few years back. Doesn't help with disabled stalls. Costco Regent is really busy all the time.. I avoid it like the plague. Maybe if you go weekday mornings it might not be busy.
I wonder if that land to the north is leased from Manitoba Hydro as I thought they had purchased a larger amount of land then they have developed for there new substation.

And I don't know about evenings and weekends but I work shift work and find that Regent is not bad mid morning for getting in and out of. I have only been a member since October though so maybe after Covid-19 ends it may be busier at those times

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Re disabled parking. After a major foot injury I had a pass and there are only two places you can never find a spot: Costco and Walmart. Doesn't matter what time of day or which location in the city you go to but it seems to always be the case. It seems to be a Winnipeg problem as I didn't notice it being the same in Phoenix.
Well yes Winnipeg and Phoenix are the only two places on earth.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I wonder if that land to the north is leased from Manitoba Hydro as I thought they had purchased a larger amount of land then they have developed for there new substation.

And I don't know about evenings and weekends but I work shift work and find that Regent is not bad mid morning for getting in and out of. I have only been a member since October though so maybe after Covid-19 ends it may be busier at those times
That used to be all hydro land. I think Costco purchased the land the lot is on. And then the access if for both parties. Not sure whom owns it but maybe hydro does. It went through the clerks department IIRC. So maybe there is some info there.

It's always just super busy when I go. People on top of you. I haven't been in a while but would expect there's less people due to covid.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2021, 10:32 PM

Oomomo #2

I wonder when this opens if one can buy anything offered.

Oomomo St. James
(Target Opening on Feb 1st, 2021)

Address: Unit A - 710 Saint James Street, Winnipeg, MB R3G 3J7

Telephone: 204-306-4888

Store Hours: TBD

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 5:59 PM

Something Going On Former Giant Tiger in Stafford and Pembina

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 9:32 PM

Did a search of the permits online and appears as though its going to be a No Frills

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 6:20 AM

Hey, my guess was right! Makes total sense, bit of a Loblaws desert there.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 7:12 PM

This past weekend EB Games did a massive round of permanent store closures across Canada. So far have only been able to confirm the stand alone store on Regent closed locally. The mall locations for Polo Park, Garden City and St Vital are also not showing on their store locator but some say those are temporary closures due to current restrictions.

Also apparently sometime before this wave the store in Selkirk, MB was closed.

It is expected that more locations will close too as their main profit area has been second hand games (they buy low and sell high). The market is deep into a transition to digital-first purchases which kills off the second hand market.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 10:10 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
This past weekend EB Games did a massive round of permanent store closures across Canada. So far have only been able to confirm the stand alone store on Regent closed locally. The mall locations for Polo Park, Garden City and St Vital are also not showing on their store locator but some say those are temporary closures due to current restrictions.

Also apparently sometime before this wave the store in Selkirk, MB was closed.

It is expected that more locations will close too as their main profit area has been second hand games (they buy low and sell high). The market is deep into a transition to digital-first purchases which kills off the second hand market.
I don't understand, in the age of DVD burners and high-speed Internet there needs to be brick and mortar videogame stores.

Back in the 80s it'd have made more sense to sell Atari, Bally, Intellivision, game consoles and ROM cartridges.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 2:12 PM
What could go wrong?

My son never buys physical video games anymore. Everything is a digital copy.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 2:42 PM

Digital is convenient. But I still like to buy physical copies of things when I actually pay for them. Such as a video game. I'm old school I guess.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 2:46 PM

I'm having to get up to speed on gaming now that my kids are old enough to be into it and I go for the physical copies... I mean, why not? It's nice to have something that I can't accidentally delete.

But that said I don't buy the games at small video game shops... usually tends to be Best Buy, Amazon and such.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 9:08 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Over the holidays I installed two games via Steam:
  • The Golf Club 2019
  • Train Simulator 2021
One of the benefits of downloading vs physical copy is that there is no paper & plastic packaging to throw away that ends up in a landfill or at worst, a foreign country.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 3:27 PM

Both XBOX and PlayStation are effectively all digital. Yes you can pop in a disc but it ends up downloading most of the game in a lot of cases even if you have a disc.

Switch is definitely still a mix with most games sold in a game case being on the cart. That said there are some game cases with a disclosure on them that it is just a download code in the box. You put in the approximately 20 character long code from the box and it is the same if you never left your house and bought the digital code.

Most places that sell gift cards also have cards that work as digital cash on these three systems. You can use cash, buy the card, enter the code into the system and buy games digitally if you want.

One other thing to keep in mind is retail stores won't let someone obviously under age buy an adult rated game. Most of the kids are smart enough to have their on system accounts set as adults meaning the digital shops won't put that same check in place.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 3:28 PM

^ Good to know... thanks. So in that light it seems as though the fate of most video game stores is sealed.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 3:44 PM

I'd guess PnP games still has a while to go but most chain game stores are probably on their way out.
Small stain

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan