HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 28, 2019, 4:17 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Bought a jar of Crampton's Strawberry-Rhubarb jam on Friday at a local grocer.

Their main page on their website says they've moved their Market from Ft. Richmond (SW corner of Bishop @ Waverley) to way out there beyond public transit 7730 Roblin Blvd. in Headingley.

They did this ... for the lower taxes ... or something else?

I found their current slogan which says "We sell good food to nice people!"

Were they experiencing product theft from the not nice people at the Market location?

https://cramptonsmarket.com/

Old Posted Dec 28, 2019, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
Bought a jar of Crampton's Strawberry-Rhubarb jam on Friday at a local grocer.

Their main page on their website says they've moved their Market from Ft. Richmond (SW corner of Bishop @ Waverley) to way out there beyond public transit 7730 Roblin Blvd. in Headingley.

They did this ... for the lower taxes ... or something else?

I found their current slogan which says "We sell good food to nice people!"

Were they experiencing product theft from the not nice people at the Market location?
They were leasing the Waverley land from Mb Hydro and Hydro terminated the lease citing the need for that land.

Shelmerdine offered them a new lease in a building on land they own to set up a new operation that’s why they ended up out there.

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 4:02 PM
Transit Nerd

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ghts-1.5412912

Clothing store receives cease-and-desist order from city on closing day
Social Sharing
Clothing store, Friday Knights, sold merchandise with 'parody' of city logo, told to stop on last day open
Bartley Kives · CBC News · Posted: Jan 02, 2020 4:35 PM CT

Quote:
An Exchange District retail store that produced hats and hoodies featuring the City of Winnipeg logo received a legal directive to stop selling the municipal-themed merch — on the clothing company's closing day as a storefront.

In September, streetwear company Friday Knights started selling apparel featuring Winnipeg's two-decade-old "swoosh" logo with one modification: the letters "Win" in Winnipeg appeared in boldface.

The city gave the retailer until Jan. 3 to write back and inform the city of its intention to comply, or face unspecified "appropriate action" if it does not.

Olek is calling this ironic after his experience with the city. He claimed he emailed his concerns about construction notification to Point Douglas Coun. Vivian Santos but only heard back, via phone, after the work was finished.

"I find it funny it takes weeks to hear back from the city about anything but I have three days to respond back when I get a cease-and-desist [letter]," he said.
I love how much of a Soviet shitshow, City Hall is becoming... ruins a guys business, and forcing Obby Khan to take losses on his investments into the Exchange, no compensation, not even so much as a letter of notice - and then when someone does try to make something positive for Winnipeg, they shit all over them with a cease & desist.

I wonder if the poor guy might be making new Winnipeg material. Considering how Winnipeg Transit aborted orange and cream, in favour of that swirly cheapskate garbage, maybe this entrepreneur can use the Orange and Cream flying T instead, on his clothing designs? I'd probably buy one.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 4:09 PM

You can't use a company or a government's logo without permission to sell shirts and expect to get away with it.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 9:37 PM

If they continued to allow it, they would be forgoing their copyright and anyone would be able to produce merchandise with the official City of Winnipeg logo.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2020, 3:17 AM
Transit Nerd

Okay yeah, i see the point, any methhead with a printer would take full advantage of it...

But my wider point: the city refused to give business owners, retailers and land holders ANY notice for construction, or incentives/compensation. For weeks and months on end. Yet, someone presses the wrong button, and automatically, they decide to actually bother doing something.

They could've handled it better, like for example, teaming up with the business owner & trying to make more Winnipeg merchandise, albeit with a different logo. Or other incentives, like tax breaks, or paying a visit to the business owner to drum up business, or maybe even BUYING products from him via contract, to contribute to Winnipegs economy & turning this situation around in a more productive manner...

Instead, they sent a cease & desist, forced a guy out of business, and pissed off Obby Khan, who just happens to own land AND operate businesses in the Exchange, which without people like him investing and running VERY successful businesses, the Exchange would look like something from "Escape from New York"...

Maybe it was copyrighted, but thats NOT my entire point. The city should treat downtown businesses and landowners better. And forcing people to go out of business, without more humanitarian alternatives, is just flatout stupid. I know its not Bowman either, but the citywide administration and various city workers wandering Costco all day, are really shitting the bed on this one... and something should actually change.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2020, 3:28 AM
Transit Nerd

Speaking of more retail upheaval...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ipeg-1.5413930

I'd add more, but hard to type from phone on a standing-load CTrain.

I know that its underground, so no drive through components, and only with daytime customers, probably 9-5, 20% labor costs and all...

But it's kind of worrying to see how fragile downtown retail is, if the business owner is locking people out, all over 30 cent raises and potential $12 wages... Alberta definitely showed me what happens when $15/hour comes into play, but if Winnipegs about to hop the 15/hr train, things might get ugly for downtown retail, thats fragile enough to lock people out, over 30 CENTS of wage increases... 0.3 (7 strikers) = a whole extra $2 an HOUR. Just seems ridiculous, but for downtown retail already in a precarious situation, it doesn't seem good.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 3:18 AM

Hudson's Bay Winnipeg Downtown & St. Vital Centre locations are reducing their operating hours this winter.

Downtown
Monday to Saturday: 11am to 5:30pm
Sunday: Noon to 5pm

St. Vital
Monday to Friday: 10:30am to 8pm
Saturday: 10:30am to 5pm
Sunday: 11am to 5pm

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 1:27 PM

Staples Portage Place also had in store signage saying they are reducing their hours, I wonder if its related to the Bay hours change?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 2:35 PM

So is St. Vital's Bay store closing before the rest of the mall? Or does the whole mall close at 8?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
So is St. Vital's Bay store closing before the rest of the mall? Or does the whole mall close at 8?
Mall hours:
Sunday 11a.m.–6p.m.
Monday 10a.m.–9p.m.
Tuesday 10a.m.–9p.m.
Wednesday 10a.m.–9p.m.
Thursday 10a.m.–9p.m.
Friday 10a.m.–9p.m.
Saturday 9:30a.m.–6p.m.

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 5:41 PM

That's odd. Not a good sign for those two locations... Makes me wonder if we might soon be down to one location again. The downtown store is slowly dwindling away, and the St. Vital location has been kind of half assed since the day it opened.... Sort of like South Winnipeg's version of the old Garden City Eaton's store.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I wonder if there is something in the Bay's lease that requires them to at least keep mall hours. I believe many malls have such an agreement in place. You just can't open a store in a mall and be open Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 1-5pm.

Second what about people parking and using the Bay entrance, you either have to use the London Drugs or the exit by the bus loop / movie theatre, and walk around to your parking spot.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 6:54 PM

^ Yeah, it just seems weird.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor204 View Post
I wonder if there is something in the Bay's lease that requires them to at least keep mall hours. I believe many malls have such an agreement in place. You just can't open a store in a mall and be open Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 1-5pm.

Second what about people parking and using the Bay entrance, you either have to use the London Drugs or the exit by the bus loop / movie theatre, and walk around to your parking spot.
The Bay may not have a lease as they may own their property at St. Vital. A number of malls had the anchors own their own land where the store was and the developer owned and managed the rest of the mall and the surrounding parking.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 10:57 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslusarc View Post
Hudson's Bay Winnipeg Downtown & St. Vital Centre locations are reducing their operating hours this winter.

Downtown
Monday to Saturday: 11am to 5:30pm
Sunday: Noon to 5pm

St. Vital
Monday to Friday: 10:30am to 8pm
Saturday: 10:30am to 5pm
Sunday: 11am to 5pm

The downtown Bay store says "WINTER STORE HOURS", so its more about reduced operating hours during the Winter than "as of now and into the future forevermore"... They might go back to regular hours that we know and love come Spring/Summer.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
But it's kind of worrying to see how fragile downtown retail is, if the business owner is locking people out, all over 30 cent raises
The background to the Tim's labour dispute is as follows: union contract was 30 cents above minimum wage. In October minimum wage went up 30 cents. Union has requested to restore the 30 cent per hour premium over minimum wage ($12.05/hour). Management has offered 20 cents over minimum wage ($11.95/hour). Also the location is said to heavily focus on new immigrants (aka less knowledgeable on Canadian laws) workers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor204 View Post
I wonder if there is something in the Bay's lease that requires them to at least keep mall hours.
Considering when Sears closed there were no interested parties in taking the large anchor space and the mall needed to put in significant work to reconfigure the space I would assume that regardless of what the Bay's lease at St Vital may say they are in a fairly strong negotiating position to ask for changes on things like hours, especially if it is cutting hours at the start or end of the day.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 5:34 PM

^Yeah, generally the point or advantage of large anchors with their own entrances is being able to set their own hours. Malls wouldn't let a regular tenant within the mall proper close early, but the major anchors usually have more flexibility. That's why Grant Park is so weird now with soooo many tenants with private entrances.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
The Bay may not have a lease as they may own their property at St. Vital. A number of malls had the anchors own their own land where the store was and the developer owned and managed the rest of the mall and the surrounding parking.
That was the case with Sears at Garden City as RioCan had to buy it.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 9:18 PM

If I recall correctly (it heavily predates me) the Sears at Garden City was built first as a stand alone location and the mall eventually followed so it makes sense it was separately owned. Also somewhat interesting there was a bidding war of sorts for that location and I thought the mall had lost out by basically assuming no one else would want it and putting in a lowball bid.

Sears also had a significant stake in Kildonan Place. I think the original structure was essentially Sears, Bay and Dominion each owning one third of the mall with the stakes other than Sears changing hands long before Sears went out of business.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan