HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 2:02 PM

SS Penn Med: luxury hospital ship.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 2:19 PM

BTW - I hear a rumor that they plan to build an underground tunnel (under Convention BLVD) linking the old HUP to the new one.

Anyone know if this is true?

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Bad news, according to the video, they're going to take down the FMC sometime in the not too distant future:

Some of these renderings don't look too bad all things considered. Yes it is a giant boat, but a lot of that is due to (extremely important) function over form. If it's not a poopy brown I think that'll help make this look a lot nicer.
Look closer. FMC is in that photo. Under construction, but it is in there.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christof View Post
Considering the size of the existing hole and how long they have been breaking ground, I get a good laugh with the idea that "groundbreaking" is tonight. The image of a bunch of suits wearing brand new hard hats standing in the bottom of a huuge hole with shinny shovels turning over some dirt that's probably been imported to the site, makes me smile.

They probably have some important reason why today is the day, not last year, not next week; but I'm glad I'm not involved with HUP politics. I wonder if they are going to be announcing some large gift and the naming rights for this building, "the Roberts Center of Advanced Adult Care for the Future of Basic Health Problems"

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
The image of a bunch of suits wearing brand new hard hats standing in the bottom of a huuge hole with shinny shovels turning over some dirt that's probably been imported to the site, makes me smile.
More like standing in front of a huge box of dirt inside the building next door:

https://twitter.com/PennMedNews/stat...298496/photo/1

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
More like standing in front of a huge box of dirt inside the building next door:

https://twitter.com/PennMedNews/stat...298496/photo/1
Lol, so dumb.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christof View Post
Look closer. FMC is in that photo. Under construction, but it is in there.
It was a joke, but yeah, I was saying it's being taken down there. Odd that they didn't include the finalized FMC but they show CTC complete.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 5:23 PM

[QUOTE=Philly Fan;7794435]More like standing in front of a huge box of dirt inside the building next door:

A waste of good dirt! And the hard hats really make a lot of sense. A weird tradition that hasn't changed with the reality of day. No model of the building?

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
And the hard hats really make a lot of sense.
You can never be too careful about the potential for falling ceiling tiles.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 5:48 PM
Philly Rising Up!

A check on Foster + Partners website today revealed this project is still not advertised on the site. Any ideas why they wouldn't want to put it on the website as another significant and high profile project?

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
A check on Foster + Partners website today revealed this project is still not advertised on the site. Any ideas why they wouldn't want to put it on the website as another significant and high profile project?
One possible reason is that the project list on the website--with links to each project page--only includes projects that were formally announced through 2016 (click on the year column header twice):

http://www.fosterandpartners.com/projects/list/

Perhaps it will be included when they update the list with projects formally announced in 2017.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 10:34 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
You can never be too careful about the potential for falling ceiling tiles.
You joke, but about 2 years ago there was an incident where one of the glass panels in the railings in that atrium fell out and almost hit a student.

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 10:32 PM

Last edited by ajaxean; Jan 15, 2019 at 2:15 PM.

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaxean View Post
What an unbelievable load of garbage. I'm not even sure if this looks better than Penn Tower. The trajectory of this building design has basically been underwhelming > worse > much worse > slightly better > slightly better > much much worse. And he were are: a $1.5B brown monstrosity. Good job Penn. I'm yearning for the day it's knocked down before it's even built.
Something tells me that that rendering doesn't do a very good job of showing what this will actually look like in person--at least that's what I'm hoping. If you click on this other rendering to blow it up to full size and scroll around the facade, you may see what I mean:

https://www.pennmedicine.org/news/~/...ted.ashx?la=en

Also, it looks in that rendering like there may be some interesting lighting at night along the top. In any event, let's hope that Lord Foster and crew are visualizing something that's not coming across in these renderings. While Penn Medicine spent an amazing amount of time and resources on planning the inside of this building, I'd bet that Foster greatly influenced the appearance of the outside. But in the end, this building will be about a lot more than just its outside appearance, as the video first posted in post #359 demonstrates:

Video Link

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 11:45 PM

Penn Med is a mission-driven institution in the healthcare field. From their (rightful perspective), they have to think about their stakeholders from patients to providers to investors. While a pedestrian walking down the streets of UCity is (barely) a stakeholder, the stakeholders whom they hold the greatest responsibility to have great needs - mostly regarding HEALTH - and this $1.5B investment I would guess will do GREAT in that regard.

Sure it is easy to critique a building exterior or be disappointed about it not being sexy. But given the intended use of this building, the exterior is not only fine to me, but has little to nothing to do with the merits of this building. I am ecstatic that this building is happening and not only do not care it is a brown box but feel assured that the people involved with this building's design and development know better than we do that this exterior (re functionality and cost) is a great exterior for its intended use.

Last edited by OslPhlWasChi; May 8, 2017 at 2:31 AM.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 1:17 AM
More of that.

Never forget what could have been

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 2:39 AM

Last edited by ajaxean; Jan 15, 2019 at 2:15 PM.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 4:38 AM

First off, I'm one of those who doesn't mind the design too much because of the building's purpose but also because we get another massive, quasi-tallish building in that area. Sure I'd like better proportions but I'm not complaining too much.
That being said, I personally find Lord Norman Foster to be a somewhat overrated architect. I spent some time looking at his notable projects (of which there are many) and many are definitely admirable. Still he seems to always shoot for something unique/semi-visionary and I don't feel like he always hits. But once you have that starchitect label, you can get most projects you do to be interpreted as par excellence. Not saying he isn't good, just perhaps doesn't match the hype. I'll take a Pei or Pelli 9 days out of 10.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 5:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaxean View Post
With respect to people's argument's that even if the outside is bad, the inside probably is great for medical care... yeah right. The same thing would have been said about the Perelman Center, but I can assure you as someone who has extensive experience with the building, that it is abysmally bad for its purpose. It is a confusing, profoundly patient-unfriendly cluster...mess.

If I was a betting man, I'd expect bad exterior design to correlate with bad interior design. I don't know why people would expect the opposite.
Maybe people expect the opposite because Penn Medicine has spent a significant amount of time and resources planning the interior of this new building, soliciting and incorporating input from all sorts of experts and all levels and types of folks who will be using this building. Too my knowledge, there's been substantially more attention paid to making this building efficient and user-friendly than there was with Perelman. Watch the 8-minute video I included in my last post, and take a look at this:

https://bigidea.pennmedicine.org/cha...tient-pavilion

You may want to prejudge the results before this has even reached grade level, but you can't credibly deny that they're making every effort to build a hospital that is as efficient, patient-friendly, and technologically advanced as possible. That $1.5 billion is going somewhere.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 5:04 PM

https://bigidea.pennmedicine.org/cha...tient-pavilion

The camera on this site is a still one...Doesn't this project has a live camera?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive