Barcelona
Montreal

Overrated
Nashville
Las Vegas
Austin
Myrtle Beach
Phoenix
I don't think Vegas is overrated. There is really only one place on Earth to have that type of experience, so if you're into gambling, kitschy party scenes, grossly overpriced buffet restaurants, or seeing tacky replicas of old historical European tourist sites, then it's a must. But that gets old fast, and there is nothing for visitors to do beyond that, so three days is enough time to spend there. Most people will be bored of it by the fourth day.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 5:46 PM
The City

Being able to drink openly in public is also a nice perk about Vegas.

Does that ever get old?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 6:01 PM

Yeah Vegas isn't overrated. It pretty much delivers on its promises. What else were you expecting?

You just gotta love the trashiness of it all. It's a must see from an anthropological point of view.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 6:26 PM
devout Pizzatarian

i went to vegas 4 times in my 20s/early 30s for bachelor parties/friend's birthdays.

if i never visit it again, i won't miss it. not my cup of tea. it's like everything i hate about this stupid-ass nation all wrapped up in one conveniently loathsome package.

in fact, in all of my trips there, the coolest thing i ever saw, by far, was a side trip out to hoover dam on my 4th visit because i was so disinterested in vegas itself by then.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Nov 2, 2020 at 6:38 PM.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 6:29 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Been to Vegas twice. I'm good.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
i went to vegas 4 times in my 20s/early 30s for bachelor parties/birthdays.

if i never visit it again, i won't miss it. not my cup of tea. it's like everything i hate about this stupid-ass nation all wrapped up in one conveniently loathsome package.

in fact, in all of my trips there, the coolest thing i ever saw was a side trip to hoover dam on my 4th trip because i was so disinterested in vegas itself by then.
So you're not into gambling, kitschy party scenes, grossly overpriced buffet restaurants, or seeing tacky replicas of old historical European tourist sites?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
Nobody willingly visits Phoenix unless they're super into hiking. Most people come through Phoenix on their way to the Grand Canyon.

Personally, I like Las Vegas because it's so overtly fake and it's a great place to people watch. It's like one giant sociological study.
I visited Phoenix for Lou malaria. I did some hiking in tempe.
Fun town.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 7:10 PM
BANNED

vegas overrated, New Orleans is not? also myrtle beach. how is that on a list? why not seaside heights?

both cities are all about partying all night, drinking to the extreme. both cities are about eating, drinking at fun places, staying in cool hotels and spas. one city attracts millions more tourists than the other 11 million vs 42 million.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 7:26 PM
E pluribus unum

Myrtle Beach must have at least half of Ohio's population at any given time throughout the year. So many damn Buckeyes everywhere...

Other than spending time with family, one of the biggest highlights of my trip there was taking time to visit Charleston.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 7:31 PM

What's the point of Myrtle Beach? It's a bad beach, minimal surf, not really nice sand or anything. And the town is horrible. And it's too far north for winter beach life.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 7:31 PM
Dryer lint inspector

^ It was/is popular with northerners wanting to make a quick trip during to get away from the cold. Not sure if it still is that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Stoked Brah View Post
vegas overrated, New Orleans is not? also myrtle beach. how is that on a list? why not seaside heights?

both cities are all about partying all night, drinking to the extreme. both cities are about eating, drinking at fun places, staying in cool hotels and spas. one city attracts millions more tourists than the other 11 million vs 42 million.
Bourbon St. is about parting and drinking to the extreme but you go just one block over on Royal St. and it's a totally different vibe; galleries and cafes. There are people who go to New Orleans to drink and act stupid and there are those who go for the architecture and the history. I'm well past my party days so Vegas has little appeal to me but wife and I go to new Orleans all the time.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 7:59 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
Myrtle Beach must have at least half of Ohio's population at any given time throughout the year. So many damn Buckeyes everywhere...
very true, but that would be central and southern ohio. nobody above the turnpike goes there. or has even heard of the place.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 8:00 PM
BANNED

would you visit New Orleans all the time if you lived 2000 miles away from it?

im in the iheartthed badrunner crowd that doesn't think vegas is overrated. unique environment that offers alternative entertainment options than traditional touristy cities and that alone is the attraction. is it for everybody at every stage of their life, no, but neither are most other places.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 8:20 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I always thought why go to Myrtle Beach when you can press on a bit and be in Florida? But apparently from what I've heard from people in my area, it's an awesome destination for golfers.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
very true, but that would be central and southern ohio. nobody above the turnpike goes there. or has even heard of the place.
Really? It's a fairly common destination for Metro Detroiters. Both Delta and Spirit have direct routes between Detroit and Myrtle Beach.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 8:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
What's the point of Myrtle Beach? It's a bad beach, minimal surf, not really nice sand or anything. And the town is horrible. And it's too far north for winter beach life.
Myrtle seems like it's a local drive to vacation destination or a 90 minute 2 hour flight place to take the friends and family to meet up with extended friends and family for some beach fun for a week. I don't think they're getting people from places farther than that like you would see in Florida that is full of people from all over the world.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I always thought why go to Myrtle Beach when you can press on a bit and be in Florida? But apparently from what I've heard from people in my area, it's an awesome destination for golfers.
Same thing though, if you're willing to push a little further south to Charleston, you have world class golf at Kiawah/Seabrook Island, and an awesome historic old town that's worth at least a couple days to walk around. Seabrook has some of the warmest beach water I've ever swam in, and having pods of dolphins breaching the water 50 feet away is pretty cool. One of the most underrated vacation spots on the East Coast imo. Definitely isnt set up to handle as many tourists ( or those more cliche touristy activities) as Myrtle though.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 8:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Really? It's a fairly common destination for Metro Detroiters. Both Delta and Spirit have direct routes between Detroit and Myrtle Beach.
Detroit to Myrtle flight time is 1 hour 58 minutes falls within my made up range of 90 minutes to 2 hours. the overall flight time is much shorter.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 8:59 PM
BANNED

does anyone know which metropolitan region has the lowest leisure/tourism travel? people that go just to be in the region, not gateway cities.
just guessing:
Dallas?
Detroit?
Atlanta?
Minneapolis?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Stoked Brah View Post
would you visit New Orleans all the time if you lived 2000 miles away from it?
I live over twice that distance from New Orleans, and it along with LA are my "I've had enough of winter for a weekend" destinations. Been to both twice in my five years here. (Both are a stopover in SeaTac from Fairbanks.)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions