HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFloyd View Post
Gosh! I remember seeing this video years ago. I think a friend, a fellow sports car enthusiast , sent it to me. However, after watching it again, it seems like it was done using a motorcycle. Early 70's Paris; stunning as usual.
The opening in French claims that the video was digitized with no fake effect of any kind.

I personally learned driving in the city (which means I'm much of a mediocre driver on highways or roads of the countryside) and driving it rally-style like this is a wet dream to me.
As said in the end credits, the video was directed by Claude Lelouch who's a well known director here in France. So the original footage might have been more or less set up.
Idk, but it's crazy. Unfortunately, you won't ever get any opportunity to cross the city by car at that speed.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 10:06 PM
DownTowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
The opening in French claims that the video was digitized with no fake effect of any kind.

I personally learned driving in the city (which means I'm much of a mediocre driver on highways or roads of the countryside) and driving it rally-style like this is a wet dream to me.
As said in the end credits, the video was directed by Claude Lelouch who's a well known director here in France. So the original footage might have been more or less set up.
Idk, but it's crazy. Unfortunately, you won't ever get any opportunity to cross the city by car at that speed.
I did a bit of research and I corrected my assumption of the motorcycle. Check my original post again. Cheers.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 7:30 PM

I once crossed the city from one end to the other (via Rue Magenta) within the Peripherique. So, if I can do it on foot, surely it can be done easily by other modes of transportation other than by single occupancy cars.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYbyWAYofGA View Post
I once crossed the city from one end to the other (via Rue Magenta) within the Peripherique. So, if I can do it on foot, surely it can be done easily by other modes of transportation other than by single occupancy cars.
How long did it take, then? Something like 3 hours or more, maybe? I don't know, I never tried it, myself.
Say cycling is awesome in that it lets you enjoy the city, but at a more efficient speed.

For those who don't know, Magenta is a boulevard spanning from République to Barbès, crossing the 10th arrondissement. It is roughly 2 km (or 1.2 mile) long.
It is pretty cool to cycle.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
How long did it take, then? Something like 3 hours or more, maybe? I don't know, I never tried it, myself.
Say cycling is awesome in that it lets you enjoy the city, but at a more efficient speed.

For those who don't know, Magenta is a boulevard spanning from République to Barbès, crossing the 10th arrondissement. It is roughly 2 km (or 1.2 mile) long.
It is pretty cool to cycle.
Mousquet, you are absolutely right. It took approximately 3hrs! I walked across Pont Neuf onto the 14th arrondissement, then traced the ligne 6 to my dorm. I had such a great feeling of satisfaction once I completed the walk that I did not feel tired. I was also younger then....lol.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions