HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Vanderbilt in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 5:22 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
I have tried to like this building but just can't. It's so bulky and the crown just looks skimpy and plopped onto the design in a way that isn't at all cohesive. The toothpick on top is even sadder.

well already it looks great in person --- on the ground anyway. however, i do wish i knew what the crown looked like as well as you, because to me its still very much u/c.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 6:36 PM
Fake News

We can see the shape of the crown already. My issue isn't the materials or final finishes. It's the awkward shape of the tower and the weird crown. There's nothing graceful or cohesive about it. It goes from super fat to super thin with barely any transition. It's jarring and ugly. The setbacks could have worked if they had some further down the tower. Instead it looks like they made it as bloated as possible to increase leasable floor space then threw a crown on top with no understanding of proportions.

Last edited by O-tacular; Mar 5, 2020 at 6:48 PM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 3:38 AM
New Yorker for life

The loss of 100 ft in height seemed to make the tower bulkier that it originally appeared. But appearances can be deceiving, because when seen with the likes of 30 Hudson and Bank of America towers, this one is hardly bulky. When 270 Park is built, that point will be driven home even further. BTW, there's another tower you may have heard of with similar shape and proportions. It's only the most famous skyscraper in the world, and people love it. But of course, you don't have to like this one.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9UyxRboFDJ/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9U49ahAaob/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
The loss of 100 ft in height seemed to make the tower bulkier that it originally appeared. But appearances can be deceiving, because when seen with the likes of 30 Hudson and Bank of America towers, this one is hardly bulky. When 270 Park is built, that point will be driven home even further. BTW, there's another tower you may have heard of with similar shape and proportions. It's only the most famous skyscraper in the world, and people love it. But of course, you don't have to like this one.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9UyxRboFDJ/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9U49ahAaob/

Love the height! But that's about it. 111 W 57th St is the only new supertall that I like...

Last edited by NYguy; Mar 7, 2020 at 5:03 PM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 4:35 PM
Fake News

Quote:
This beast shares no characteristics beyond a "spire", if you can even call it that, with the Empire State building or Chrysler tower. It's the equivalent of Potato Jesus when comparing the two. The proportions are bad and there's nothing graceful about it. I still stand by my criticism. It's a fat beast with a tiny toothpick on top of an awkward crown. The buildings it replaced looked infinitely better and it's a tragedy that you lost historic stock for something like this.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 4:50 PM

So when they finish with the crown cladding the rest f the spire will go back up right?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 4:52 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUEENSNYMAN View Post
So when they finish with the crown cladding the rest f the spire will go back up right?
It'll be set up this May per developer.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 8:00 PM

Quote:
We can see the shape of the crown already. My issue isn't the materials or final finishes. It's the awkward shape of the tower and the weird crown. There's nothing graceful or cohesive about it. It goes from super fat to super thin with barely any transition. It's jarring and ugly. The setbacks could have worked if they had some further down the tower. Instead it looks like they made it as bloated as possible to increase leasable floor space then threw a crown on top with no understanding of proportions.
I agree with your sentiment completely. Ungainly is how I describe this tower.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2020, 4:31 AM
Sydney

I love this tower from just about every angle, but from the Rockefeller deck it looks asymmetrical in the most awkward way. I think the spire would have been better off on the opposite corner of the floorplate it sits on.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2020, 6:21 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

This tower does a good job of capturing a sense of dominance in the skyline. Almost to the level of the ESB in the sense of "dominating" that respective portion of the skyline. Poor Chrysler looks so minuscule compared to it.

Can't wait for 270 Park, which will be even bigger and have a profound impact on the area.

From the LIC vantage point, this thing really shines.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2020, 11:25 AM

Chrysler has nothing to worry about still iconic still beautiful all those decades later. That and ESB still bossing it. Nothing comes close to threatening their dominance nearly 100 years later.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2020, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xing Lin View Post
I love this tower from just about every angle, but from the Rockefeller deck it looks asymmetrical in the most awkward way. I think the spire would have been better off on the opposite corner of the floorplate it sits on.
I think that awkwardness may be from the construction elevator on that side of the building.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2020, 5:20 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHigher View Post
Chrysler has nothing to worry about still iconic still beautiful all those decades later. That and ESB still bossing it. Nothing comes close to threatening their dominance nearly 100 years later.
Until you actually look at the skyline. The Empire State and the Chrysler are treasures, but to say nothing comes close to their dominance on the skyline requires a special imagination.

Quote:
This beast shares no characteristics beyond a "spire", if you can even call it that, with the Empire State building or Chrysler tower.
Same as above. That statement requires either a special imagination, or a certain level of obtuseness. Enough so that you can't really be taken seriously.

https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/busin...87fcc93f6.jpeg

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3uai8wnZ32/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2020, 5:55 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Until you actually look at the skyline. The Empire State and the Chrysler are treasures, but to say nothing comes close to their dominance on the skyline requires a special imagination.

Same as above. That statement requires either a special imagination, or a certain level of obtuseness. Enough so that you can't really be taken seriously.

If anyone can’t be taken seriously it’s you for attacking anyone who doesn’t fawn all over this tower. You haven’t even addressed my criticisms. If it’s comparable to the ESB or Chrysler tower for reasons other than having a crown and spire please elaborate.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2020, 6:00 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
If anyone can’t be taken seriously it’s you for attacking anyone who doesn’t fawn all over this tower. You haven’t even addressed my criticisms. If it’s comparable to the ESB or Chrysler tower for reasons other than having a crown and spire please elaborate.
No one said you had to "fawn" over this tower. But for you to suggests it has nothing in comparison with the Empire State or Chrysler is just ignorance to put it politely, and I'm not going to waste time trying to elaborate on something that is blatantly obvious. There is such thing as opinion, and then there is fact. Remain in your delusional world if you must. But to continue to argue otherwise is just dumb at this point.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2020, 3:00 PM
New Yorker for life

Last edited by NYguy; Mar 9, 2020 at 3:13 PM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2020, 4:15 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:

"we can see the shape of the crown already" is pretty vague. i mean umm, sorta? so you can write it off, but i'll wait and see.

otherwise, you can downplay them all you want, but cant knock the materials or the base, those are superb. and i would guess there is no doubt the public space inside will also be excellent, much less the office areas.

i'll grant you some awkwardness as a bit of a fatty though. it got downsized and they were in a rush to get going on it. yet to crab about that and i guess your problems with the crown and say its not as good as the bland old office building it replaced, which btw way had zip for the public, is just silliness or trolling though.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2020, 5:25 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Mar 9, 2020, 8:18 PM

In my latest video from Breezy Point, Queens we take a small look One Vandy from here, BY QUEENSNY121: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnIqSWBS5RA

Old Posted Mar 9, 2020, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUEENSNYMAN View Post
In my latest video from Breezy Point, Queens we take a small look One Vandy from here, BY QUEENSNY121: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnIqSWBS5RA
Thank you.

Last edited by NYguy; Mar 9, 2020 at 9:40 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive