HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 9:21 PM

Have there been any updates on the Regency Garage RFP or is that not a thing anymore? I also thought there was another RFP for the ASU parking lots that the city bought last year close by Derby. Is there any moment on that too?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMDelon View Post
Have there been any updates on the Regency Garage RFP or is that not a thing anymore? I also thought there was another RFP for the ASU parking lots that the city bought last year close by Derby. Is there any moment on that too?
I don't see it so I'm not sure if it has even been issued?

https://solicitations.phoenix.gov/

However, it does look like the RFP for the city owned lot at 2nd St and Roosevelt closed on 1/30 and it's currently in the "Tabulation" phase. Chosen RFP winner should be announced within next couple of months.

The RFP for hiring a consultant for the DTPHX Entertainment District is also currently pending "City Council Approval".

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I think this is related to the controversy over GPLETs that arose around the time of the lawsuit filed by Mat Englehorn (owner of Angel's Trumpet) and the Goldwater Institute against the GPLET for the Derby. The legislature wanted to limit the use of GPLETs, and constraining the boundaries of CBDs is one way to do that.

https://www.cavanaghlaw.com/wp-conte...ET-Reforms.pdf
City of Phoenix never really had a weird CBD but I'm guessing the City of Mesa and Tucson one raised some eyebrows as I recall because they weren't "central" or a "business district" just a series of lines going up and down arterials which made for some funny looking maps.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 5:18 PM

Phoenix changes

Hello everyone,
I'm usually creating youtube videos comparing how Hungarian cities have changed from 2011 to 2023 using Google Street View.
Now I decided to do the same with Phoenix, AZ.

I'm not sure if anyone is interested in videos like this here. If you do, please let me know if something important is missing from my Phoenix comparison video. (I don't want to include every single house contstruction, obviously. I'm focusing on bigger counstructions, where a lot of buildings have been built and infrastructure developments).
You can check it out here, it's unlisted, I'll publish it at a later date.
Edit: Updated video!

Last edited by Phoenixy; Feb 11, 2024 at 8:13 AM. Reason: youtube video

Old Posted Feb 11, 2024, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixy View Post
Hello everyone,
I'm usually creating youtube videos comparing how Hungarian cities have changed from 2011 to 2023 using Google Street View.
Now I decided to do the same with Phoenix, AZ.

I'm not sure if anyone is interested in videos like this here. If you do, please let me know if something important is missing from my Phoenix comparison video. (I don't want to include every single house contstruction, obviously. I'm focusing on bigger counstructions, where a lot of buildings have been built and infrastructure developments).
You can check it out here, it's unlisted, I'll publish it at a later date.

Very well done - interesting! A picture is worth a thousand words! All in the last ten years - or so. Can you imagine what it will look like in the next ten to 15 years?!?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2024, 8:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcats View Post
Very well done - interesting! A picture is worth a thousand words! All in the last ten years - or so. Can you imagine what it will look like in the next ten to 15 years?!?
I'm glad you like it. I reuploaded the video with 5 new image pairs and a few fixes (I replaced the video in my previous post above, or just see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vyJOhgbc4U).
I think this'll be the final version. I only plan to publish it on March 4th.

Phoenix's population grows so much, so I'm pretty sure a lot more changes, constructions are coming in the following 10-15 years as well.

Last edited by Phoenixy; Feb 11, 2024 at 8:32 AM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 5:07 PM

/\Thanks for the efforts and providing the nice video. There were a couple before/after pictures that caught my eye, but none more than the one of 4th Ave & Roosevelt. The "before" looked like an utter wasteland. The "after" is so much nicer. I spent time downtown and on Roosevelt in 2011 and in the years earlier, and while I remember it being ugly in parts with a lack of buildings yet slowly changing, looking back at it now it is incredible how terrible it was.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 8:32 PM
E pluribus unum

That's some damn fine work, Phoenixy

Old Posted Feb 15, 2024, 6:49 PM

SWC of Central & Indian School

I noticed the lot immediately north of Yoshi's is fenced up, some trucks, dirt, and equipment on site as well.

Anyone know what's going on or is lot being used for staging for another project?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2024, 6:55 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
I noticed the lot immediately north of Yoshi's is fenced up, some trucks, dirt, and equipment on site as well.

Anyone know what's going on or is lot being used for staging for another project?
It's been that way for a few months now. I'm not sure what the work is related to. I didn't find anything specific for the lot itself while searching for permits.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2024, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
It's been that way for a few months now. I'm not sure what the work is related to. I didn't find anything specific for the lot itself while searching for permits.
Damn really?? LOL I pass through that intersection every so and often and have never noticed it until recently. Oh well...

Old Posted Feb 15, 2024, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post

Yeah, idk, doesn’t seem like anything is being built there, just getting paid to drive trucks around,lol.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2024, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
Yeah, idk, doesn’t seem like anything is being built there, just getting paid to drive trucks around,lol.
I Believe its a staging lot for the Gas main upgrade being done on 12th St.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 2:19 PM
Skyriser

Was curious what the forum thought about large scale retail coming to downtown with Saiya, Sol Modern (fka Realm), and Central Station pretty much all at the same time.

I haven't seen floorplans for Saiya or Central Station recently but I had the feeling they were all chasing larger contiguous space which I think has been really missing downtown.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 4:08 PM

$1M gift to transform the Phoenix jazz scene. These are the big changes coming...

The new education center will be taking over the existing building at 1014 N 2nd St. City of Phoenix RFP for the 3 parcels north from here closed on 1/30 so this stretch of 2nd St should look different over the next couple of years.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/ente...t/72618771007/

Quote:
Big improvements are coming to the downtown Phoenix jazz scene.

The Nash Jazz Club and Jazz in Arizona have announced a $2.5 million expansion of the club's facilities, including the creation of a 3,200-square-foot John Dawson Center for Jazz Education at The Nash, with construction beginning in May.

The expansion was funded in part by a $1 million gift from the John Dawson Foundation, the largest one-time gift the nonprofit has ever received.

In addition to the education center, the $2.5 million project will include extensive renovations to the Nash Jazz Club at 110 N. Roosevelt St., including a new stage and green room; more relaxed seating, including banquettes, booths and bar seating; a full bar; and enhanced food offerings and restroom facilities.

The Dawson Education Center will be just north of the Nash, across the parking lot at 1014 N. Second St., creating a comprehensive complex for jazz performance and musician training on Roosevelt Row in the heart of downtown Phoenix.

“We are thrilled to be making this transformational gift to The Nash, allowing them to expand their thriving jazz education program,” Dave Lunt, president of the John Dawson Foundation, says.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 4:27 PM

Metrocenter demolition set to start this spring ahead of major redevelopment

Metrocenter development has been delayed...

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...p-phoenix.html

Quote:
The former Metrocenter mall is now expected to be demolished by the spring of 2024 after the developer pushed back the timeline for its major redevelopment project amid a high interest rate environment.

The development team — comprised of Concord Wilshire Capital, TLG Investment Partners, CDS International Holdings Inc. and Hines — had previously expected to start demolition work immediately after acquiring most of the former mall property for nearly $50 million in January 2023.

The 65-acre property includes a majority of the former 1.4 million-square-foot mall, except for the Walmart Supercenter and self-storage facility, both of which will remain in place.

The $850 million redevelopment, to be called the Village, will feature a multifamily hub with 2,600 units around central gathering spaces and 150,000 square feet of commercial space including ground-floor retail and a hotel.

The former mall, which shuttered during the Covid-19 pandemic in 2020, is located at 9617 N. Metro Parkway just west of Interstate 17, about 10 miles north of downtown Phoenix.

The developers previously expected to start demolition by early 2023 and take about a year to complete the work. Now it's expected to kick off in the second quarter of 2024 with vertical construction slated to start two years later. Infrastructure work on the site is expected to start following demolition.

Steve Betts, a consultant for the project and managing director at Tucson-based Holualoa Cos. said they pushed back the demolition date because of high interest rates and an oversupply of multifamily product nationally.

"Market conditions have put a pause on most multifamily development projects," Betts said, adding that the higher interest rates have "impacted the viability of new projects."

More than 20,000 units were estimated to deliver in the Valley in 2023, compared to Phoenix's normal average of 8,000 units delivered per year. Since 2019, metro Phoenix has averaged 12,000 units delivered annually, the Business Journal previously reported. Phoenix was a top market for units delivered nationally in 2023.

But that doesn't mean the economy has slowed down in the Valley, Betts said. Interest rates are also expected to start declining while the oversupply is expected to be filled over time, creating new demand for units.

"We have a huge quantity of jobs coming to the Valley, courtesy of our economic development strategies, that are going to need this exact kind of housing," Betts said. "We're supremely confident that the project is needed and will be very successful. It's just in a pause, like many multifamily projects."

Project expected to take seven to eight years to complete
Each vertical building in the project is expected to take two years to complete, while the entire project is expected to be delivered in the next seven to eight years, according to the developers.

"We believe this project is almost the definition of skating to where the puck is going," Betts said.

The timeline for demolition is still on track and will be within the city's required deadline to start demolition by early 2025, according to a development agreement between the city of Phoenix and the developers.

In June 2023, Phoenix City Council approved an amendment to its development agreement with the developer of the project, Phoenix IG LLC, to facilitate bond financing through the Phoenix Industrial Development Authority for the redevelopment of the mall. This is expected to be paid back through the property's sales and hotel tax revenue.

The agreement also included the addition of public amenities, including the expansion of a public plaza on the roof deck of the proposed parking garage and a shell office space for the Phoenix Police Department.

The project, one of a handful of regional mall redevelopments across the Valley, could be a defining project for the Interstate 17 corridor and provide housing for workers moving to Phoenix for huge employers such as Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co.

The future Village project will also connect to the latest expansion of Valley Metro's light rail system, which opened in January and includes the first elevated rail station across I-17.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 9:18 PM
self-important urbanista

^I had dinner recently at one of the restaurants on Metro Parkway. It's a disconcerting contrast to see the bright, multicolored lights of the Thelda Williams Transit Center just a few blocks from dark, neglected parking lots where the lights have been turned off. It seems like a safety hazard for anyone walking to and from the transit center and a potential magnet for vagrancy. If redevelopment is going to be delayed, I hope the city will demand that the developer either turn the lights back on or fence the area.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 9:30 PM

It's almost like spending $200m on a bridge to bring the LR to a dead mall was a bit silly. And I still maintain that new project will never happen per the original plans.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 9:33 PM

But it is now so easy to get to Castles and Coasters. LOL!!!!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 9:41 PM

PLEASE let Castles n Coasters hold out and stick around until metrocenter is redeveloped. I may not make it if that place closes and gets demolished.

Seems to be doing OK for now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest