HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 2:28 PM

Hmm I though I heard Ann Taylor was moving to a smaller space in the same building. (old half of Levis)

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
^^^ Hopefully it's designed by whoever it was that did the UNO school out west. I love Gang and BKL, but I'd love to see another architect of that caliber (Ronan? He likes to do schools right?) get the commission.
This one, I assume you mean?

Juan Gabriel Moreno

Free Nowhereman...fat girls need lovin' too

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 3:24 PM
BANNED

^ Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
It's only 20-something floors at about 400 feet. The bigger, original proposal was shot down by Alderman Reilly.
Well that's absolutely enraging. What kind of fucking moron tells an organization that wants to build a gigantic medical facility that would bring hundreds of high paying, advanced, jobs to Chicago, to go shove it? Fuck Reilly, this is unacceptable. At 40 floors that building would have been nearly 800'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Since it's a rehabilitation hospital, this could conceivably be a large open space with a track where patients can do physical therapy and exercise or, for the truly incapacitated, get brought out for some fresh air and views of nature.
Actually its not really a hospital. It has a TON of lab space which is why it has such high ceiling heights. I have a friend who will be getting lab space there once it's complete. She is one of only a few women in the world with a PHD in robotics. She'll be working on constructing robotic limbs there. This is why Reilly is a moron, they are going to be working on some of the most advanced technologies in this building and the moron wants to downsize it. Godddamnit. That's not even to mention the fact that he essentially cut the number of construction jobs this will create in half by halving the size of the building.

Everyone should write letters to Reilly about this and, more importantly, to Rahm Emmanuel asking him to reign in Reilly's neglect for the economic future of Chicago.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 5:32 PM

Quote:
^ Yep

Well that's absolutely enraging. What kind of fucking moron tells an organization that wants to build a gigantic medical facility that would bring hundreds of high paying, advanced, jobs to Chicago, to go shove it? Fuck Reilly, this is unacceptable. At 40 floors that building would have been nearly 800'.

Actually its not really a hospital. It has a TON of lab space which is why it has such high ceiling heights. I have a friend who will be getting lab space there once it's complete. She is one of only a few women in the world with a PHD in robotics. She'll be working on constructing robotic limbs there. This is why Reilly is a moron, they are going to be working on some of the most advanced technologies in this building and the moron wants to downsize it. Godddamnit. That's not even to mention the fact that he essentially cut the number of construction jobs this will create in half by halving the size of the building.

Everyone should write letters to Reilly about this and, more importantly, to Rahm Emmanuel asking him to reign in Reilly's neglect for the economic future of Chicago.
Not hardly. He may have reduced the amount of hours tradesmen would be spending on that particular project, but it doesn't really affect "jobs created."

There is no appreciable difference in the number of workers, just the duration they'll be working on that project.

Had half the building been steel in lieu of concrete or something, and he axed that portion, then you might have an argument, since all of the steel workers that might have worked on it would no longer be. But if the general scope of work stays the same, the number of unique jobs pretty much stays the same. What changes is the number of hours worked. In any case, they are all temporary for that project only anyway.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 5:56 PM
BANNED

^^^ Duh, I'm not talking literal jobs. Hell it technically creates 0 new construction jobs since none of them are permanent. Don't be so nitpicky. I was obviously referring to the fact that there is roughly 1/2 as much work that will have to be done for a building that is 1/2 the size. Then again we could get even more nitpicky and go into all sorts of detail about how the foundation is actually more work than the additional regular floors so it's probably really only 2/3 as many man-hours, not 1/2. Or we could get even more ridiculous and start speculating over whether the building is really 1/2 the size or its more like 7/12's the size...

Don't be obnoxious, you know what I meant and you know that I was speaking the broadest terms because we don't know shit about the size of this project and we've never even seen the freaking original 40 floor proposal. You know what my point is; 1/2 sized tower = 1/2 the amount of economic activity created by the construction of the tower.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 8:03 PM
tilted & shifted

I moved all of the Rehabilitation of Chicago-related posts to the highrise thread, since it's over 12 stories.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 8:22 PM
dream fast

1-22

Burberry

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 2:07 PM

Quote:
^^^ Duh, I'm not talking literal jobs. Hell it technically creates 0 new construction jobs since none of them are permanent. Don't be so nitpicky. I was obviously referring to the fact that there is roughly 1/2 as much work that will have to be done for a building that is 1/2 the size. Then again we could get even more nitpicky and go into all sorts of detail about how the foundation is actually more work than the additional regular floors so it's probably really only 2/3 as many man-hours, not 1/2. Or we could get even more ridiculous and start speculating over whether the building is really 1/2 the size or its more like 7/12's the size...

Don't be obnoxious, you know what I meant and you know that I was speaking the broadest terms because we don't know shit about the size of this project and we've never even seen the freaking original 40 floor proposal. You know what my point is; 1/2 sized tower = 1/2 the amount of economic activity created by the construction of the tower.
I'm not being obnoxious. I can only read what you wrote and respond to it. I can't read your mind at the same time to know you were just being flip. People throw that whole "creating jobs" term around way too often, and it needs constant clarification. If you think it's obnoxious that I'd want to clarify, I think it's obnoxious that you said it in the first place, so we're even.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 6:55 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
^ So maybe two monster caissons for each viaduct, to eventually hold up the spanning of 2-to-3 tracks? They still seem awfully large for that ... if something lesser would be inadequate, then why is the rest of the UP North's railbed (where it's elevated on earth/rock in between retaining walls) adequate without continuous hardcore supports like that?

I didn't realize that the viaduct project was going to result in a higher railbed --- if they're elevating several miles of UP North by even a foot or so, jeez, that is a huge undertaking.
Sorry to dredge up the stale post, but I stumbled across some helpful images while searching for something else:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...6907722&type=3

This is a similar rail underpass in Lima, OH. There are two rows of caissons that support the pair of abutment walls. You need a deep foundation here for several reasons.

First, the bridge is quite heavy, and its load is concentrated on the abutment walls at each end. Unless you're building on solid rock, you're gonna need to sink the foundation down to a more solid layer than the typical Midwestern surface clay. That means caissons, sank in a line maybe 10' apart.

Second, the vibration of moving trains and the movement of water through the soil conspire to push the walls outward, a "moment" force that would eventually topple the walls towards the roadway if left unchecked. Sinking a deep foundation resists these horizontal forces, just like a spade gets harder and harder to tip the deeper you sink it into the ground.

Currently on Metra's embankment, the sides are sloped, which helps distribute the weight of the trains over a greater area and keeps the soil in place. If that slope is below a given angle (the "angle of repose"), gravity and friction work together to keep the soil from pressing outwards and removes those moment forces. Any steeper than that angle, up to and including 90 degrees, you need some form of artificial retention.

Metra's planning to raise the tracks, but now in their new plan they need to provide enough flat space at the top to allow for three tracks. That poses a problem with geometry, because with 45' of flat space at the top and only a 66'-wide ROW, there isn't enough space on the sides to slope back to grade without exceeding that angle of repose. That means they need some form of retaining wall along the entire length of the line. But since they still have a small amount of width in which to slope the dirt, the retaining walls don't need to be full-height - the soil can slope down as far as is safe to build, and the wall can be partial-height and built out of cheaper materials like landscaping blocks.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 9:32 AM

^ That is fascinating ardecila. But it sounds like any viaduct (even if it's built with abutment walls holding soil comporting with the angle of repose) will need deep foundations to hold a long, vibrating span. Yet can it be said that such foundations were in fact sunk 100 years ago, or whenever many of present-day Metra's (and CTA's) viaducts were laid, and were then of such a quality that would end up lasting through today? Or perhaps they indeed were at some of the more massive spans along UP North (over Lincoln/Addison, over Greenbay/Ridge in Evanston, or over perhaps Peterson or Lawrence)? The example at Sunnyside is not a massive span like those however.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 4:08 PM

Retail/apartment project planned for Roosevelt Road

Quote:
By: Alby Gallun January 25, 2012

The Bond Cos., a Chicago developer, plans to build a mixed-use project with about 200,000 square feet of retail space and as many as 460 apartments between Canal and Clinton streets just north of Roosevelt.
http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...#ixzz1kUF1wr6t

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 4:16 PM

Quote:
“We are connected to the street grid,” Mr. Bond says. “We are part of the fabric of the neighborhood.”
Interesting (encouraging?) that the developer considers this a key advantage over his competition.

It's a shame it's only the northern ~2/3 of the block --- since the southern frontage along Roosevelt consists of a strip mall, a drive-thru bank, and a quick lube joint.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 4:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckman821 View Post
Woah, that's an awesome design! And, best of all, I believe it is replacing a Midas and Baskin Robins strip mall hell!

This will really change the nature of this area as it's almost entirely a drive-in drive-out retail center right now while the addition of 460 apartment units will actually add a solid residential component to the district.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 4:36 PM

^ What a positive change this will bring to Roosevelt Road in that area.

Making way for new multi-story Starbucks on Rush as viewed from gangway.
1/25 Morning Commute

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckman821 View Post
This certainly looks more pedestrian friendly than what's currently there

http://g.co/maps/92kmq

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 5:10 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Woah, that's an awesome design! And, best of all, I believe it is replacing a Midas and Baskin Robins strip mall hell!

This will really change the nature of this area as it's almost entirely a drive-in drive-out retail center right now while the addition of 460 apartment units will actually add a solid residential component to the district.
It's not clear from the article exactly where it is, but I think it's actually going to anchor the SW corner of Canal and Taylor, with the retail facing Canal.

I think it'd be great if Grenshaw got (re?)established between Clinton and Canal as a street and not just an alley, especially if that's where this development's southern edge is. Small blocks will help that area feel more pedestrian than it is currently.

I also wish the CTA would extend the 22/Clark bus south from the current Harrison terminus to turn around somewhere in that area, perhaps using Clinton/Maxwell/Jefferson as the turn-around. That would improve transit access from much of the Central Area residents to there.

This development is definitely better than Roosevelt Collection, which is isolated and (in my opinion) annoying to get in and out of and feels claustrophobic (although I haven't been there since they remove the center 1-story buildings). Until Roosevelt Collection is accessible from the north, it will always have some disadvantages compared to other area developments.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 7:15 PM

^ I actually think you are 100% correct on this. It seems more likely that low industrial building was up for sale as opposed to all those smaller businesses fronting Roosevelt. And assuming lighting and shadows in the renderings are correct (which they typically are) the long side of the building will in fact face Canal.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 7:20 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
It's not clear from the article exactly where it is, but I think it's actually going to anchor the SW corner of Canal and Taylor, with the retail facing Canal.
I think you're right. The previous proposal only went up to Staples/Chase.

I like this quote:
Quote:
“We are connected to the street grid,” Mr. Bond says. “We are part of the fabric of the neighborhood.”
While it's certainly better than the Roosevelt Collection, what neighborhood is he talking about? It's just a collection of strip malls, big box stores, vacant lots, gas stations, government/back offices, industrial uses, rail yards, etc. I'd hate living in this part of town.

Some good news: Crain's article about the Target land swap mentions that the CHA now owns the White Way parcel. While I can't say that I've been impressed with most new CHA projects, whatever they have planned will probably be better than the surface parking lot + strip mall Structured wanted to build.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 7:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
I think you're right. The previous proposal only went up to Staples/Chase.

I like this quote:

While it's certainly better than the Roosevelt Collection, what neighborhood is he talking about? It's just a collection of strip malls, big box stores, vacant lots, gas stations, government/back offices, industrial uses, rail yards, etc. I'd hate living in this part of town.

Some good news: Crain's article about the Target land swap mentions that the CHA now owns the White Way parcel. While I can't say that I've been impressed with most new CHA projects, whatever they have planned will probably be better than the surface parking lot + strip mall Structured wanted to build.
Oh God....I have a feeling this is going to be absolutely hideous.....so much potential in that part of town esp of they put in a brown line stop at division.....but the development style is just so damn non-urban....a true scar and missed opportunity in patchy over the wound that was Cabrini

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 7:59 PM
BANNED

As an aside and maybe any further discussion is warrented belongs in the transportation thread....but has there been any serious or not so serious discussion of rebuilding the station at division on the brown line? Considering the area is developing and there has been capital infusion over the past 10-15 year.....unlike the the previous 30-40 years where capital and wealth was fleeing It might make sense.

Also , I am curious as to the path the redline takes between north and clybourn and clark division....does it follow clybourn? if so maybe a redline stop at division makes sense as well....just random musings on a late january day

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development