HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 6:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Well, there goes the "shop canadian campaign" I guess one good thing is that canadians can afford to spend money on other things once they save all of the money on the US goods.

We need some REAL deals in Canada. Its so wierd how things always work in the favour of the USA. Our dollar is over par, things should be going down in price IN CANADA.....and now we cross the border and screw ourselves out of purchasing power......

oh well, I guess I dont really mind pumping some money into our freindly neighbors economy...... just not too much! I still like shopping locally. There are deals to be found in Calgary too!
just before christmas the dollar was around par like 99 cents i think and we went to bellingham and every place we went to was offering us 90 cents on the dollar! we were totally getting ripped off well we only used cash at the jack in the box but we asked at other stores or their signs and they were all 90% exchange

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 6:56 AM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Yeah, even with Canadian retailers finally understanding that we're in a recession and that sales entice customers, it's shocking how much cheaper US retail is for a lot of things. I probably finance half my travel costs by savings on clothing alone. If Calgary had anything remotely within driving distance, we'd be down every month.
yes, our clothing prices are quite high.

It makes me woner if it is the fact that we have lots of wealthy people in Calgary (and Canada) that will drop whatever money they want on whatever they want.....Could that drive our prices up or are we just royally getting hosed by international companies?

................or is it our greedy retaliers?

or is it that we are more fair to clothing manufacturers and thier employees?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 6:58 AM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
just before christmas the dollar was around par like 99 cents i think and we went to bellingham and every place we went to was offering us 90 cents on the dollar! we were totally getting ripped off well we only used cash at the jack in the box but we asked at other stores or their signs and they were all 90% exchange
That is because they haven't read any Canadian news for the last 2 years. It was like that in Mexico as well. The US dollar was exchanged MUCH higher than the Canadian.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2011, 10:32 PM

CALGARY - WinSport Canada is planning a huge retail/commercial development at Canada Olympic Park that would include a grocery store, retail stores, restaurants and two hotels, the Herald has learned.

The proposed development, subject to city approval, would be about 400,000 square feet. Retail stores would be geared to promoting healthy, active lifestyles and the hotels would accommodate 300 rooms - one family-based and a larger one with a spa and conference centre

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/Major+r...#ixzz1EG41IvPJ

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 1:32 AM

^Was just about to post that here too. I posted it in the construction thread as well.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 3:22 AM

I wonder if one of the conditions for approval of this proposed project would be for the developer to build the interchange there now that the City has pushed it further down the list (due to the approval of the Airport Trail tunnel/extension).

Was the developer-backed interchange at Cross Iron Mills a condition for the construction of the mall? If so, then I would hope the City could push the developer of the Winsport lands to do the same!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 4:30 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
I wonder if one of the conditions for approval of this proposed project would be for the developer to build the interchange there now that the City has pushed it further down the list (due to the approval of the Airport Trail tunnel/extension).

Was the developer-backed interchange at Cross Iron Mills a condition for the construction of the mall? If so, then I would hope the City could push the developer of the Winsport lands to do the same!
Development paying for road infrastructure is a topic that gives me headaches. I say we just kidnap the doozers from Fraggle Rock and get them to do all the work, so we don't have to worry about this.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 7:36 PM

The developers paid for the new interchange for the Ikea and surrounding mall. I would have to see the access plan before commenting on whether something similar should be done on this one. (ie, if it is just Bowfort that they need, well the city is committed to do it so additional payment is a no go, if they need something else around 16th and Sarcee, that is their responsibility)

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 8:20 PM

Developers already do pay for that infrastructure through the transportation levy. They also build all roadways that are "major" classification and lower. I don't think The City can ask them to build the interchange or charge them extra, because they will already have to pay the standard acreage assessment and it will be considered "double dipping", which I don't think is allowed in the MGA.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2011, 9:24 PM

B&BW has just posted on facebook new stores

-Southecentre Mall in Calgary, Alberta
-Polo Park Mall in Winnipeg, Manitoba
-Champlain Place in Dieppe, New Brunswick

Old Posted Mar 5, 2011, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
B&BW has just posted on facebook new stores

-Southecentre Mall in Calgary, Alberta
-Polo Park Mall in Winnipeg, Manitoba
-Champlain Place in Dieppe, New Brunswick
Southcentre must have been one of the few Calgary malls that didn't already have one.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2011, 9:11 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

per the BBW website, Sunridge and The Core don't either.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2011, 11:41 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
per the BBW website, Sunridge and The Core don't either.
Rusty, I didn't really think you the type to be into "Big Beautiful Women"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Beautiful_Woman

Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 4:30 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
I'm not into B AND BW either- it was always the place that went in at malls too downscale for a Body Shop.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 12:57 AM
Editor

A couple of online polls pertaining to downtown retail

General downtown
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/downtown-calgary-hours

The Core
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/XM6S7HS

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
All this time I thought the second B was for Bodied.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 5:00 PM

Well, that "general downtown" survey didn't last very long. 9 am on Tuesday morning and it's already closed! I would have answered it for sure!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 1:51 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay in Cowtown View Post
Southcentre must have been one of the few Calgary malls that didn't already have one.
Jay, love the Avatar!

I'm not bi-polar, I'm bi-WINNING!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 1:22 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

H&M to open flagship fashion outlet at Calgary's CORE downtown shopping centre
Fourth location in the city
By Mario Toneguzzi, Calgary Herald

CALGARY - H&M (Hennes & Mauritz) will open its flagship store in April at the downtown CORE shopping centre.

The opening, on April 14 at noon, will mark the fashion store chain's fourth location in Calgary and 56th location in Canada.

"We've had great success with our stores in Alberta," said Toni Galli, country manager for H&M Canada. "We're thrilled to have found this great flagship location in the heart of the city of Calgary and to be expanding further in this province."

The new Calgary store will occupy more than 20,000 retail square feet of fashion on two floors at the CORE, which has undergone a recent multi-million dollar renovation and redevelopment.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/open+fl...404/story.html

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 3:00 PM

Went to CORE Mall this weekend, it was alot busier than I expected for a dt mall - tho nowhere near as busy as Market or Chinook on a weekend.

I also used the "Free" valet parking (over 3 hrs is $2 or something like that). Very convenient and useful - I can see how the CORE mall is trying to fight the stigma associated with people not wanting to shop downtown due to parking

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy