HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTPandProud1974 View Post
I attended my first ever Atlanta United game two weeks ago. I'm not a soccer fan, but spending a morning and early afternoon at the Gulch -- which right now acts as a parking zone/party zone -- I can see the potential beauty of this site.

And in my opinion, it's not CIM's vision.

The Gulch could be what the Buckhead Village was in its nightclub heydey. It could easily become the new Underground Atlanta/Kenny's Alley circa 1970s if curated properly.

And that wouldn't necessarily need to include spending $500,000,000 on raising the Gulch to street level. Honestly, most of the charm was that it was below street level.

There is so much vitality and energy there for United games, it would be a shame to coat it in mixed-use homogeny. There is something genuinely authentic there. It's just not CIM's vision.
I'll take 15 new blocks in Downtown.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 9:03 AM

The residents of Atlanta are becoming the targets of NY and LA developer scams...I mean Opus and CIM. These really are financial scams. It appears that neither will happen and you should be glad.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
The residents of Atlanta are becoming the targets of NY and LA developer scams...I mean Opus and CIM. These really are financial scams. It appears that neither will happen and you should be glad.
Isn't this gentleman part of Olympia Heights? Or is my sourcing wrong?

https://ny.curbed.com/2016/8/30/1271...ral-settlement

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sura View Post
I'll take 15 new blocks in Downtown.
The thing that bothers me, even more than the amount of the subsidies, is privately-owned streets. I really do not like Atlantic Station because it seems so fake with the turf in the 'park,' the private guards, the piped-in music, and so on. It reminds me of Walt Disney World.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 1:35 PM
Closed account

$1.9-billion Gulch deal still lacks enough support from city council as Monday vote looms

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...h-support.html

Quote:
As another marathon session on the planned development ended Tuesday, Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms still lacked enough support from city council to allow up to $1.9 billion in public financing to fund the project. Its outcome hangs in the balance days after the mayor restructured terms of a deal between the city and would-be Gulch developer CIM Group.

Council must pass that legislation for the giant project to move forward. Eight votes are needed. There’s still work to be done to reach that number by Monday, when the council is expected to take up the redevelopment for a final vote, people familiar with the discussions said.

“It’s time for us to make a decision, said Council President Felicia Moore. “I believe most people, particularly members of council, have decided what their position is on this.”

Moore then echoed the words of longtime council president Marvin Arrington.

“When big issues would come up like this, he would sit up here and say, “OK council, it’s time to fish or cut bait. And, I think we have come to that time.”

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jct3 View Post
The thing that bothers me, even more than the amount of the subsidies, is privately-owned streets. I really do not like Atlantic Station because it seems so fake with the turf in the 'park,' the private guards, the piped-in music, and so on. It reminds me of Walt Disney World.
When I was in school, we were doing a project that required filming a street scene in Atlantic Station. The AS security guards we're all in our ass making us put the camera away. Also, you're not allowed to smoke there. I really don't like privately owned areas in a city, it just doesn't feel right.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjhajek View Post
When I was in school, we were doing a project that required filming a street scene in Atlantic Station. The AS security guards we're all in our ass making us put the camera away. Also, you're not allowed to smoke there. I really don't like privately owned areas in a city, it just doesn't feel right.
I was "pulled over" by AS security guards for being on a bird scooter without a helmet... I understand they do this to lower their risk of being sued, but yeah pretty annoying because it's not really practical to have a helmet with you at all times to use a bird/lime scooter.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 7:36 PM

Looks like we're heading toward keeping the Gulch shitty for at least another generation.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 10:04 PM

Norfolk Southern won’t move to Atlanta without Gulch deal

Report: Norfolk Southern won’t move to Atlanta without Gulch deal https://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt-...TomqGVFjGNWEI/

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 10:13 PM
Closed account

Gotta love it! Two multi-million dollar companies that would both bring significant economic investment are holding the city hostage at the same time over incentives...

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 10:18 PM

Report: Norfolk Southern won’t move to Atlanta without Gulch deal

https://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt-...TomqGVFjGNWEI/
Quote:
The CEO of Norfolk Southern reportedly said in an interview Wednesday his company won’t move its headquarters to Atlanta if the City Council spikes a development deal for downtown’s Gulch.

The ultimatum comes just days before the council is expected to vote Monday on a blockbuster $1.9 billion financing package for the planned $5 billion downtown project. California-based developer CIM Group plans a 40-acre mix of offices, apartments, hotels and retail above the empty swath of railroad lines and parking lots between the Five Points MARTA station and Mercedes-Benz Stadium.

Norfolk Southern owns key land CIM wants to buy to make its downtown mini-city a reality. The railroad wants to use proceeds from the sale to help finance its new home, likely in Midtown.

Jim Squires told the Atlanta Business Chronicle it must sell its holdings downtown to facilitate the Fortune 500 company’s move from Norfolk, Va., to Atlanta. The company is said to have a site in mind in Midtown, and the property is under contract with developer Cousins Properties.

“I would hate to see this slip away,” Squires said. “But if it does, we will move on.”

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 10:51 PM

If that's the only incentive for making a move, then it's a fake move anyway to gain one more free asset on their balance sheet. Don't buy it.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 11:29 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
If that's the only incentive for making a move, then it's a fake move anyway to gain one more free asset on their balance sheet. Don't buy it.
I tend to agree.

No serious CEO or company would have such a hair trigger reaction with a long-term business decision at stake over essentially a minor near-term roadblock like Norfolk Southern's trying to do with Atlanta.

And if this is how the company does all of its business, I can understand the mayor's indifference towards them staying or leaving.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 3:01 PM

Does anyone know if the new gulch deal preserves the potential development of rail?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megalopolis View Post
Does anyone know if the new gulch deal preserves the potential development of rail?
I haven't heard of any word of future rail preservation included, but haven't read through the new documents.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megalopolis View Post
There have been assurances of preserving the possibility of an MMPT from CIM, and I have heard from others that the (current) plan would not preclude it. But my understanding is that nothing in the documents contains an obligation in writing to preserve the possiblity, and that has irked many transit advocates.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 6:36 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLswede View Post
There have been assurances of preserving the possibility of an MMPT from CIM, and I have heard from others that the (current) plan would not preclude it. But my understanding is that nothing in the documents contains an obligation in writing to preserve the possiblity, and that has irked many transit advocates.
Bingo.

If it ain't in writing, it ain't happening.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 7:05 PM

Maybe the weather is setting my current mood, but I doubt the redevelopment or the MMPT happen.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Looks like we're heading toward keeping the Gulch shitty for at least another generation.
I fear that too. Jeff Morrison just put out a novel conception of the whole gulch area

http://www.threadatl.org/2018/10/26/...-dry-riverbed/

If you ever get a chance to do his walking tour, take it. It's amazing. He usually does a more publicised version during Phoenix Flies in March. He has a book coming out late next year on the subject as well

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 10:13 PM

Does anyone know if a tunnel exists between the former Terminal Station site (now federal courts building) and the old post office building (now federal GSA building) and if it has any current use?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta