HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 3:37 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

No private boxes that I can see.

Centre Slush Puppie will have 36 private boxes, in addition to VIP seating for 200 or so.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 3:41 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
No private boxes that I can see.
There's private boxes above where that photo was taken. Maybe a dozen.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 3:48 PM

The more I look at it, the more I realize that the layout is basically the same as the Keystone Centre in Brandon, with maybe the top couple of rows shaved off the seating bowl.

With regard to the character (or lack of it), I think a lot of that is the product of the fans. As you know, smaller communities tend to be more passionate since it's the biggest game in town. I don't know how you could ever hope to create that kind of, let's say, Prince Albert-style vibe in a place like suburban Montreal no matter what kind of venue you had...

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 3:54 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The more I look at it, the more I realize that the layout is basically the same as the Keystone Centre in Brandon, with maybe the top couple of rows shaved off the seating bowl.

With regard to the character (or lack of it), I think a lot of that is the product of the fans. As you know, smaller communities tend to be more passionate since it's the biggest game in town. I don't know how you could ever hope to create that kind of, let's say, Prince Albert-style vibe in a place like suburban Montreal no matter what kind of venue you had...
I honestly don't know how the Armada make a go of it.

It's not just the Habs. There is a beautiful NHL-minus arena in Laval with an AHL club just 10 minutes away.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 3:55 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
You can't, basically. This issue has come up a lot in Mississauga as they try various professional sports and at the end of the day the suburb always views themselves as part of the larger city (Montreal in Blainville's case) as opposed to being their own community. Unless there's a long history there's not much localness to build off of, so it's difficult to build community-spirit in a sport setting. Anyone can google Mississauga and see that there's hundreds of thousands of people there and that sports should work, but if they don't view the sports as representing the local community and see themselves instead as a part of an even larger community then they simply won't work at that grassroots level.

Quote:

It's not just the Habs. There is a beautiful NHL-minus arena in Laval with an AHL club just 10 minutes away.
I give them a few more years. Laval's arrival didn't help.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 4:00 PM

Quote:

It's the same thing in Winnipeg. The former Kootenay Ice moved here last season from BC. They made a temporary home at the University of Manitoba's arena which is maybe at best, junior A calibre, capacity about 1,500. Even with that tiny capacity they seldom sold out any games... basically just some of the games vs. Brandon and maybe a couple of other weekend games.

I went to a few weekend games where they gave out free weeknight tickets for the asking... since I live 5 minutes away from the rink I took them. To my shock the arena was never more than half full on those weeknights. And this is for a great team with some legit NHL prospects.

Personally I love the product... I'm thinking about giving up my Jets tickets and becoming a WHL season ticket holder instead. The games are exciting and it's right by where I live. But I can't understand how the ownership group makes it work competing with the NHL and AHL in a city of this size.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 4:11 PM

The Gatineau Olympiques are unique. Although Gatineau can largely be considered a suburb of Ottawa, they have their own identity since the city is in a different province with its own unique culture. Up until the poor performance and drama related to the team over the last few years, the Olympiques have always had a loyal fanbase who were always "au rendez-vous" at the old Bob Guertin arena despite the competition from Ottawa sports with its own CHL club, the NHL, CFL, baseball (on and off), soccer....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Guertin_Centre

Hopefully, the new Slush Puppie arena will re-ignite the fan base, not only as a modern facility, but its proximity to educational institutions, other entertainment venues and transit.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 4:15 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Hopefully, the new Slush Puppie arena will re-ignite the fan base, not only as a modern facility, but its proximity to educational institutions, other entertainment venues and transit.
Part of what made Vieux Bob the venue that is was was that every crazy person from Hull would show up for games and fight just as much as the team did on the ice. Crowds were pretty low-income, pretty blue-collar.

The crowds at the new rink...are not going to be that. You'll likely get the same, stale, cookie-cutter suburban fare that you get in other places. Which is fine, I guess, but i'd be surprised if games were anywhere near as rowdy as they were in Hull. Those old days of hockey don't really exist any more.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 5:02 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
The Gatineau Olympiques are unique. Although Gatineau can largely be considered a suburb of Ottawa, they have their own identity since the city is in a different province with its own unique culture.
Yeah, a pretty strong majority of people in Gatineau don't see their city as "just a suburb of Ottawa".

This was even true prior to the mergers, for example people in Hull which only had maybe 65,000 people and was right adjacent to central Ottawa, didn't see their city as an Ottawa suburb, whereas people in larger cities like Nepean and Gloucester most definitely did see themselves that way.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 6:52 PM

Moose Jaw’s crushed can where the Warriors used to play out of had the best atmosphere out of any arena I’ve attended. Not to mention how unique the building itself was... its unfortunate it’s no longer... the Medicine Hat Arena used to be a wild atmosphere in there too. Unfortunately it’s no longer as well... I haven’t attended any games in their new venues either.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 9:10 PM

I love the Revelstoke Forum. Small. Passionate fan base added to quite considerably in normal years by large number of newly hockey mad Australians. To deal with the madness, they made one side dry, and one side the beer and wine area. It is small, loud, and one game I saw there had 5 fights including two bench clearers.

Source: Revelstoke Review

Home of the Revelstoke Grizzlies, the outside is quite boring, with the only notable thing having the curved roof, and the town is in a perpetual loop of trying to figure out whether to replace the roof to reduce yearly maintenance and the need to clear snow, or to replace the entire thing.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post
Moose Jaw’s crushed can where the Warriors used to play out of had the best atmosphere out of any arena I’ve attended. Not to mention how unique the building itself was... its unfortunate it’s no longer... the Medicine Hat Arena used to be a wild atmosphere in there too. Unfortunately it’s no longer as well... I haven’t attended any games in their new venues either.
Sorry, should've included photos...

Moose Jaw - crushed can

https://cdn.whl.ca/archive/whl.uploa...1-1024x765.jpg

https://r9ehu3b03f8qg3nim601s198-wpe...rushed-can.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-WUA5MVavCs...0/SDC10628.JPG

Medicine Hat Arena

https://media.socastsrm.com/wordpres.../the-arena.png

http://www.ohlarenaguide.com/images/medhat2.jpg

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 11:59 PM

Very interesting roof on that.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 7:48 PM
ハルウララ

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 7:50 PM

Fantastic! Thanks for posting.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 7:53 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Cool. I need to go snoop around there more, as it's very close to home.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 7:58 PM

"Entrée Glaces Communautaires Entrance"

Surprised they put "entrance", but doesn't the law require:

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 8:00 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:

Surprised they put "entrance", but doesn't the law require:

CENTRE SLUSH PUPPIE CENTRE
Entree Glaces Communautaires / Community Rinks Entrance

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 8:03 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

ENTRÉE still looks twice as big as ENTRANCE if you look closely!

Signage at municipal facilities in Gatineau is typically in French only, though perhaps in this case it's a nod to the fact this place will be getting lots of visiting kids' teams and parents from all over the place.

Though I'd wager most people are capable of figuring out that ENTRÉE means entrance. At least I'd hope so!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 9:55 PM

Normally I find corporate names for arenas bland and somewhat off-putting, but there is something endearing about Centre Slush Puppie. It looks very nice too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada